[Home]       [Forum]       [Event Calendar]       [Forum Birthdays]

Home » Vichorse Forum » General - On Topic » IRISH DRAFT X CLEVELAND BAY
IRISH DRAFT X CLEVELAND BAY [message #2575958] Wed, 22 February 2012 04:58 Go to next message
Gusbear  is currently offline Gusbear  
Level 5
Hi all

I'm new to the forum.
I'm from Melbourne but currently living in London and I've just bought an Irish Draft x Cleveland Bay gelding. We will be moving back to Melbourne in about a year and I'll be bringing my horse with me. (so saving madly for his airfare).
I've only owned thoroughbreds before so my new boy is completely different to any horse I've had before.
Does anyone know when they finish maturing and more importantly stop growing?
My gelding is rising 5 and solid already but I'm told still filling out. Also he is a rather lofty 18.3hh. Everyone here in the UK seems to own 18 hand horses so I don't feel too out of place.
He is quiet as a lamb and doesn't spook at anything but I was told he will take at least two years to school and mature.
I'd really like to get some feedback from anyone that has the same cross breed and find out what I can expect.

Re: IRISH DRAFT X CLEVELAND BAY [message #2576109 is a reply to message #2575958 ] Wed, 22 February 2012 10:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  dryden62  
The forum drove me to drink. Remind me to thank it.
Gusbear wrote on Wed, 22 February 2012 04:58

Hi all

I'm new to the forum.
I'm from Melbourne but currently living in London and I've just bought an Irish Draft x Cleveland Bay gelding. We will be moving back to Melbourne in about a year and I'll be bringing my horse with me. (so saving madly for his airfare).
I've only owned thoroughbreds before so my new boy is completely different to any horse I've had before.
Does anyone know when they finish maturing and more importantly stop growing?
My gelding is rising 5 and solid already but I'm told still filling out. Also he is a rather lofty 18.3hh. Everyone here in the UK seems to own 18 hand horses so I don't feel too out of place.
He is quiet as a lamb and doesn't spook at anything but I was told he will take at least two years to school and mature.
I'd really like to get some feedback from anyone that has the same cross breed and find out what I can expect.

Ive told you a million times .. dont exaggerate! Rolls Eyes Rolls Eyes
Re: IRISH DRAFT X CLEVELAND BAY [message #2616237 is a reply to message #2576109 ] Fri, 06 April 2012 18:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  mlpc2  
This computer will self destruct in 10 posts
Shocked Hey, Hep Cats! what a big boy. Crying or Very Sad pe you get him over here soon Smile
Re: IRISH DRAFT X CLEVELAND BAY [message #2667266 is a reply to message #2575958 ] Sun, 03 June 2012 08:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Gusbear  is currently offline Gusbear  
Level 5
Just logged back into the forum after a couple of months (as have been busy schooling my boy in between training for a new job here in London). My boy is still growing Shocked. Officially measured at 18.2hh 2 months ago but will reach over 19 hands it seems as has not yet reached his 5th birthday.
Lovely type and super intelligent and willing to learn. Absolutely bomb proof. Have been told he looks a lot like the racehorse So You Think. Hoping that we might do well in some showing as he is a very handsome type. Plus hoping to get in some SJ/XC comps in Oz on our return.
Would love to get in touch with anyone else who has an ID X Cleveland Bay in Australia as they seem to be quite rare (as even difficult to find here in the UK).
Will post pics as soon as I get get a hold of my other half's laptop.
Re: IRISH DRAFT X CLEVELAND BAY [message #2667362 is a reply to message #2667266 ] Sun, 03 June 2012 10:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  Feather  
The forum drove me to drink. Remind me to thank it.

Given that both the Cleveland Bay and the Irish Draught are both rare breeds I am not surprised that you would be finding CB ID x hard to find.

Please post a picture, curious as to what you call a handsome type.
So You Think must be one big race horse!

[Updated on: Sun, 03 June 2012 10:54]

some people truly live in a small small world.
Re: IRISH DRAFT X CLEVELAND BAY [message #2667479 is a reply to message #2575958 ] Sun, 03 June 2012 14:59 Go to previous message
  leeahh  is currently offline leeahh  
Stark, Raving Bonkers
Best of luck when you get him over here! Smile

The thing I've learnt about having REALLY big horses in Australia is, it's a bit harder to source big rugs/bridles and other sorts of gear for them, you have to look around!

VALARKEN, VALDEMAR & VALERIUS.
Previous Topic:I've done it.
Next Topic:He is here !!!
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Sep 3 07:12:59 EST 2014

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01461 seconds

.:: Home ::.