[Home]       [Forum]       [Event Calendar]       [Forum Birthdays]

Home » Vichorse Forum » General - On Topic » Those who own heavy horses - add your stories & photos :)
Re: Those who own heavy horses - add your stories & photos :) [message #2675486 is a reply to message #2675269 ] Wed, 13 June 2012 12:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  Zivvy  
This computer will self destruct in 10 posts
I used to own a Perch x, in fact you probably remember him from Andrew's place. He was the quietest, most reliable horse I had ever owner - I wouldn't look past another of that breeding if I were on the market for another horse in the future. Very Happy

I currently have a 3.5yo Clydie x QH who has been broken in for about 10 months. She is very smart and tries her heart out to do what she is asked. However, she can be a little flighty but I am lucky that there is no nastiness in her - she just needs lots and lots of miles!

People who think they know everything are annoying to those of us who do.

Erin: "I have two left feet."

Megsie: "Seriously, how do you buy shoes?".

Erin: Speechless.
Re: Those who own heavy horses - add your stories & photos :) [message #2675506 is a reply to message #2675269 ] Wed, 13 June 2012 13:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  clydesdalelover  is currently offline clydesdalelover  
Completely Insane
I thought since we are chatting about the heavy horses I would ask some advice. On my situation

I've ridden horses before, had a bad fall from ex - racer. Then found my dream horse rode again for many years. Until my back gave out from prev injury. Now after a very long spell the " riding bug has hit again"
But there is a few factors that have been put into the equation. Last year I had a subnaracnoid brain bleed plus stroke. The stroke has left me with no feeling on right side. My dream was to own a Clyde but reality is this would not be possible due to the size, & strongness of the Clyde & crosses. Plus the days of riding big horses. Is not on. Neurologist would kill me lol.

So what to ride:
Firstly I'm 6'2 ( six foot two )
And around I hate to say it 120 k's

Please before you say lose weight I'm on meds that cause weight gain
I eat healthy, do have bad days & eat bad stuff.

So I'm wondering what heavy breeds would be suitable.
Keeping in mind horse would not be ridden, full time

Any suggestions ?
Re: Those who own heavy horses [message #2675508 is a reply to message #2675399 ] Wed, 13 June 2012 13:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  artepko  
Completely Insane
martina wrote on Wed, 13 June 2012 11:29

I would certainly not get a baby horse if you have lost confidence ! Get something sane, going and what you can enjoy now.
Personally, I am not a fan of the Clydie X either ... I do like the look of them, but most I actually don't find that "easy" to work with.
With the heavier horses - I love the Andalusians ! You can do anything with them.
Here my absolute favourite (1/2 Andy - 1/4Friesian 1/4Percheron)
index.php?t=getfile&id=514474&private=0
Temperament, Trainability and Movement are Shocked .... leaves most WB's a mile behind !!
Cheers MARTINA

I wouldn't call Andalusian a 'heavy' horse. Not the clumper type at all!

IF YOU WANT SOMETHING DONE, DO IT YOURSELF.
Re: Those who own heavy horses - add your stories & photos :) [message #2675534 is a reply to message #2675269 ] Wed, 13 June 2012 13:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  Kozie  
Level 1
I have a Percheron cross QH, and he is such a beautiful natured boy, I swear he is part dog Laughing he really looks out for my kids and follows them every where he is a real people horse. He is only young and green just come back in from being broken in a year or so ago and my 5 year old can ride him around in an enclosed area ( under supervision of coarse ) I will send you through my FB link so you see him with my son... (my son decided to take him over a small jump to the other day, I nearly had a heart attack but they were both fine and son had all gear ncluding a vest on)
The only down fall is, he is cheeky not naughty cheeky but nose into everything cheeky, so if a horse can find something to get into, that's him....
Re: Those who own heavy horses - add your stories & photos :) [message #2675568 is a reply to message #2675506 ] Wed, 13 June 2012 14:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  Neisje  is currently offline Neisje  
Out of my way, I am in the midst of a hoo haa monologue
clydesdalelover wrote on Wed, 13 June 2012 13:04

Any suggestions ?

Friesian Smile not many are as big as the many Clydie and ClydieX's around and you would have no trouble finding a Friesian or a Friesian X under 16hh and that would easily carry you!

Live your life in such a way that when your feet hit the floor in the morning, Satan shudders & says...
'Oh ****...she's awake!!'
Re: Those who own heavy horses - add your stories & photos :) [message #2675571 is a reply to message #2675486 ] Wed, 13 June 2012 14:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  cocochanel  
Step away from the computer,
Zivvy wrote on Wed, 13 June 2012 12:53

I used to own a Perch x, in fact you probably remember him from Andrew's place. He was the quietest, most reliable horse I had ever owner - I wouldn't look past another of that breeding if I were on the market for another horse in the future. Very Happy

I currently have a 3.5yo Clydie x QH who has been broken in for about 10 months. She is very smart and tries her heart out to do what she is asked. However, she can be a little flighty but I am lucky that there is no nastiness in her - she just needs lots and lots of miles!

I actually can't remember....... sounds nice but!! You'll have to show me pics Very Happy

R.I.P My beautiful BJ
I will miss & love you every single day!
Re: Those who own heavy horses - add your stories & photos :) [message #2675609 is a reply to message #2675269 ] Wed, 13 June 2012 14:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  Spook  is currently offline Spook  
Level 1 - Advanced
Don't own one but rode a few occasionally (used to ride more often but have moved onto a warmblood x QH).

I found them to have the sweetest temperments but a little more difficult to ride at first compared to "normal horses" but then again, I'm not exactly a normal rider. I found their canters to be more short and choppy and took a fair bit of work to get a decently stride on one.

I would absolutely love to own one but unfortunatly alot of the ones for sale that would suit me have a decent price tag attached.

Re: Those who own heavy horses - add your stories & photos :) [message #2675616 is a reply to message #2675269 ] Wed, 13 June 2012 14:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  Friesian Friend  
Troppo. Loco. Round the twist.
I’m a lover and owner of a very special friesian Saxton (you can follow my whole story on the friesian breeder section). I’m 49, never ever had a horse in my life till I got Saxton (when he was 2 years old). Left him till he was 3 then he was broken in, the place I bought him from Willow Lodge Riding Ranch (andy10), got all the girls to teach me how to ride on weekends, just through going out on the trails and learning to balance going under branches, etc. He is 6 years old, can you believe green horse and rider normally a disaster but not with this man! I am now trying my hand at dressage with him, as far as I can go. He has been the most gorgeous natured and most patient horse in the world. He learned to stop when I wasn’t balanced or was about to fall, NO buck, kick, bite or anything. Impecable ground manners, easy to trim, worm and all those things. Gets on with every horse he meets, even if they don’t like other horses, he makes them like him. Very versatile, can go for trail ride, slow steady or fast, can do little basic jumps, swims, whatever you ask him to do he will try his heart out.
Believe it or not, even though I have only been riding 3 years, he gave me all my confidence. I also broke in a Clydesdale about 2 years ago from scratch at a course at Glenormiston College with John Patterson, amazing what I learned there. I have a passion for Clydesdales as well and yes, they can also do little jumps, there is also a beautiful one (purebred) in Qld in Novice dressage level!!!
Of course there are always going to be exceptions to the rule, but seriously most of the heavies are brilliant confidence boosters. I have fallen once (not horses fault) my stirrup got caught in gate so I baled, poor Saxton went quiet for the rest of the day. The heavies are the reason I have no real fear of riding, whatever the situation, they have amazingly smooth slow paces that you can sit to.
Definitely get a heavy! Just be cautious what they are crossed with if you go that way.
Re: Those who own heavy horses - add your stories & photos :) [message #2675627 is a reply to message #2675616 ] Wed, 13 June 2012 15:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  SC is currently online SC  
I don't really like a lot of the heavier ones. Not a huge fan of Clydie x's.

One horse I currently have is a Connie x tb and she is super, she is 16.1hh and looks like a big pony Surprised

I guess it depends how heavy you want.

Re: Those who own heavy horses - add your stories & photos :) [message #2675635 is a reply to message #2675627 ] Wed, 13 June 2012 15:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  cocochanel  
SC wrote on Wed, 13 June 2012 15:15

I don't really like a lot of the heavier ones. Not a huge fan of Clydie x's.

One horse I currently have is a Connie x tb and she is super, she is 16.1hh and looks like a big pony Surprised

I guess it depends how heavy you want.

Definitely heavy Very Happy Like... purebred 17.2hh Clydie Laughing

but as I said, I'm starting to like the Perch X & Fresian X now Very Happy

R.I.P My beautiful BJ
Re: Those who own heavy horses - add your stories & photos :) [message #2675662 is a reply to message #2675269 ] Wed, 13 June 2012 15:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  sophia23  is currently offline sophia23  
Completely Insane
all these horses sound and look lovely Surprised For people who have owned clydie x which breed crossed with them did you find to be the most quiet and easy to work with?

http://i1238.photobucket.com/albums/ff497/Scarlett_Rose1/untitled3-2.png
Re: Those who own heavy horses - add your stories & photos :) [message #2675666 is a reply to message #2675662 ] Wed, 13 June 2012 15:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  Hacker  
sophia23 wrote on Wed, 13 June 2012 15:50

all these horses sound and look lovely Surprised For people who have owned clydie x which breed crossed with them did you find to be the most quiet and easy to work with?

The best, most versatile, coolest temperament and generally lovely Clydie X is crossed with a standardbred. He is an absolute gem of a horse. Jumps anything, tries his heart out and doesn't have a dirty bone in his body.
Re: Those who own heavy horses - add your stories & photos :) [message #2675734 is a reply to message #2675269 ] Wed, 13 June 2012 16:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  RealityBites  is currently offline RealityBites  
I had a Percheron cross friesian mare and I absolutely loved her! I have a friend who is still breeding with her and has just bought a purebred Percheron mate specifically to breed this cross. Might be a good choice if you can't afford a pure friesian. But I'd also say look at pure percherons too!

http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii7/wyvernstorm/RB-Banner.jpg
Re: Those who own heavy horses - add your stories & photos :) [message #2675738 is a reply to message #2675506 ] Wed, 13 June 2012 16:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  RFST  is currently offline RFST  
Level 1 - Advanced

I thought since we are chatting about the heavy horses I would ask some advice. On my situation

I've ridden horses before, had a bad fall from ex - racer. Then found my dream horse rode again for many years. Until my back gave out from prev injury. Now after a very long spell the " riding bug has hit again"
But there is a few factors that have been put into the equation. Last year I had a subnaracnoid brain bleed plus stroke. The stroke has left me with no feeling on right side. My dream was to own a Clyde but reality is this would not be possible due to the size, & strongness of the Clyde & crosses. Plus the days of riding big horses. Is not on. Neurologist would kill me lol.

So what to ride:

Any suggestions ?

A Highland. They have huge barrels that would take your leg up easily. They are also bred to carry fully grown red stag carcases that would weigh more than 120 kg dead weight. Their maximum height is 14.2hh so not as difficult to get on and off as a taller horse.
Re: Those who own heavy horses - add your stories & photos :) [message #2675753 is a reply to message #2675269 ] Wed, 13 June 2012 17:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  loubar  
Unstoppable, ungaggable, unzippable
Im not sure if you can get them easily here but these have always been my fave heavy horse - The Belgian Draft

index.php?t=getfile&id=514530&private=0

• Attachment: belgium.jpg
    (Size: 31.19KB, Downloaded 694 time(s))

Re: Those who own heavy horses - add your stories & photos :) [message #2675759 is a reply to message #2675734 ] Wed, 13 June 2012 17:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  toomanyhorses  
Our 3 riding horses are all clydie x's and we have recently purchased a baby 1/4 clydie x for my daughter to bring on. All 3 are lovely obliging honest horses that are true allrounders.

I dont think there is any particular cross that is easier to work with than others. There are some horses that are naturally more obliging and less senstitive than others. It also depends on what you class as easy to work with. may be a challenge for someone else.

Keep an open mind on the heavier x breeds. As far as I am concerned they are usually good doers who require just you basic daily maintenance.
Re: Those who own heavy horses - add your stories & photos :) [message #2675767 is a reply to message #2675269 ] Wed, 13 June 2012 17:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  Hugosgirl  is currently offline Hugosgirl  
Level 2
I have a Percheron X Warmblood. He can be a bit nervy at times buy wouldn't swap for the world. We are having riding and club rallies - I'm not competing. He's a gentle giant on the ground.

Will add pics soon - not sure how to do it with my phone.

Hope you find your "soul mate" soon.

ETA: Photos

index.php?t=getfile&id=514658&private=0

[Updated on: Thu, 14 June 2012 14:21]

Re: Those who own heavy horses - add your stories & photos :) [message #2675776 is a reply to message #2675738 ] Wed, 13 June 2012 17:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  bunny b  
RFST wrote on Wed, 13 June 2012 16:59

So what to ride:

Any suggestions ?

A Highland. They have huge barrels that would take your leg up easily. They are also bred to carry fully grown red stag carcases that would weigh more than 120 kg dead weight. Their maximum height is 14.2hh so not as difficult to get on and off as a taller horse.

I second a Highland. Here's mine and he is as sweet as he looks

http://i627.photobucket.com/albums/tt357/pheebleandwendy/kidsandponies0092.jpg

They can also be broken to harness which may suit your needs too Smile

[Updated on: Wed, 13 June 2012 17:39]

Re: Those who own heavy horses - add your stories & photos :) [message #2675792 is a reply to message #2675776 ] Wed, 13 June 2012 17:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  hsd954  
Stark, Raving Bonkers
I have a few, I have just put lots of brag pics up in the thread I started, if you have a look there is Gypsy x's, friesian x and clydie x photos there Very Happy

Horses Forever
Re: Those who own heavy horses - add your stories & photos :) [message #2675810 is a reply to message #2675792 ] Wed, 13 June 2012 18:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  taylorboy  
Level 1
you mean like this..

http://i456.photobucket.com/albums/qq288/voloclydes/Untitled.jpg

http://i456.photobucket.com/albums/qq288/voloclydes/lester143kb.jpg

http://i456.photobucket.com/albums/qq288/voloclydes/nedpirotte16kb.jpg

or this...

http://i456.photobucket.com/albums/qq288/voloclydes/neddriving7kib.jpg

i guess you could say showed to royal level....
Re: Those who own heavy horses - add your stories & photos :) [message #2675816 is a reply to message #2675269 ] Wed, 13 June 2012 18:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  Ashlee&Storm  is currently offline Ashlee&Storm  

Don't restrict yourself to certain breeds... Smile

I've known alot of Clydie X's, some were hot, some were as dead quiet and as laid back as they come... Clydie X TB's too.
I've ridden a fair few WB's... Once again, some were really laid back, some were hot. I've got a hot one with alot of attitude right now as you know, but not all are the same. One trait that the majourity of them seem to have though is a streak of stubborness.

Can clydie X's and percheron X's jump? Some of them can, hell yes. But once again, depends on the individual horse.

I've had a friesan X before too, the most genuine horse that you could ever come across.
Have a look around, have a ride on a few... If you click with that individual horse, and it does what you want it to do and has the potential to go where you want to take it, decide on the breed then. You WILL find your perfect horse Emma, just don't rush into something because someone generalised the whole breed. Smile

[Updated on: Wed, 13 June 2012 18:17]

http://i1020.photobucket.com/albums/af329/LilMissAsh95/4156bb42.jpg
Re: Those who own heavy horses - add your stories & photos :) [message #2675820 is a reply to message #2675269 ] Wed, 13 June 2012 18:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  loubar  
Gorgeous horses taylorboy
Re: Those who own heavy horses - add your stories & photos :) [message #2675830 is a reply to message #2675269 ] Wed, 13 June 2012 18:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  Kelmel  
The forum drove me to drink. Remind me to thank it.
Terarossa Alchemist Very Happy

My boy

3/4 Friesian, 1/4 Clydie Smile

When you talk about friesians as heavy horses too it can be interesting because there are the baroque type (like Alchy's magnificent grandaddy Othello (vale Sad ) and then modern, like his sire Jorrit, who does dressage... so there are degress of 'heavy'

Alchy is a little chunky monster Laughing

index.php?t=getfile&id=514547&private=0 (aged 14 months)

index.php?t=getfile&id=514548&private=0
(aged 18 months)

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l29/Kelmel_4884/secrets.jpg

If it's love, and we decide that it's forever - no one else could do it better.
Re: Those who own heavy horses - add your stories & photos :) [message #2675831 is a reply to message #2675738 ] Wed, 13 June 2012 18:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  MelC  is currently offline MelC  
Level 1 - Advanced
RFST wrote on Wed, 13 June 2012 16:59

So what to ride:

Any suggestions ?

I would also look at Fell ponies and Gypsy Cobs (or crosses with either breed) - both are very sturdy and have superb tempraments Smile

[Updated on: Wed, 13 June 2012 18:34]

Re: Those who own heavy horses - add your stories & photos :) [message #2675835 is a reply to message #2675820 ] Wed, 13 June 2012 18:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  taylorboy  
Level 1
loubar wrote on Wed, 13 June 2012 18:19

Gorgeous horses taylorboy

the bay is the best of the best blood lines in australia...

the black has some of the best imported combined with top name local blood.

i have said before the whole thing with cross is breed your horse with his end purpose in mind...

hot blooded crosses are ayrab( this cross is stunning) and tb cold crosses are qh, stb and some of the cobby types... (its been a long day and the breeds are escaping me)

the aryab cross did stunning dressage... he was elegant and could do an all day 30km ride and still prance at the end... long range endrance with toughness... makes a tough ride.
Re: Those who own heavy horses - add your stories & photos :) [message #2675872 is a reply to message #2675269 ] Wed, 13 June 2012 19:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  willowbeast  is currently offline willowbeast  
Level 1 - Advanced

Oh, I can play!

I'm currently riding/leasing a gorgeous young Clydie x QH. By far the best horse I've ever ridden, with the most beautiful temperament. At home he is the most level headed, understanding horse I've ever seen and has been ridden by a nervous 9 year old.

The only thing I can fault Clydie x's is that they are very much babies at heart. He's 5 and has still got very, very far to go in physical and mental maturity.

I haven't ridden other Clydie X's, however I really can't speak. I think Monte inherited a lot of his QH genes in personality and temperament.

http://i50.tinypic.com/35n9fex.jpg

http://i45.tinypic.com/2nta61c.jpg

Re: Those who own heavy horses - add your stories & photos :) [message #2675873 is a reply to message #2675269 ] Wed, 13 June 2012 19:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  Jaimeangel  
Level 1 - Advanced

My clydie X is the most enjoyable horse to be around. Always wants to be with you and thinks you live to eat, especially people food...
Bit of a spook, gets bloody strong from being excited about jumping and is the most amazing horse to sit on for dressage. Not a horse for everyone as he's hard work and quite sensitive... but wouldn't want to trade him for the world.
index.php?t=getfile&id=514560&private=0index.php?t=getfile&id=514559&private=0index.php?t=getfile&id=514558&private=0

Re: Those who own heavy horses [message #2675905 is a reply to message #2675508 ] Wed, 13 June 2012 20:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  RubyH  
Stark, Raving Bonkers
artepko wrote on Wed, 13 June 2012 13:04

martina wrote on Wed, 13 June 2012 11:29

I would certainly not get a baby horse if you have lost confidence ! Get something sane, going and what you can enjoy now.
Personally, I am not a fan of the Clydie X either ... I do like the look of them, but most I actually don't find that "easy" to work with.
With the heavier horses - I love the Andalusians ! You can do anything with them.
Here my absolute favourite (1/2 Andy - 1/4Friesian 1/4Percheron)
index.php?t=getfile&id=514474&private=0
Temperament, Trainability and Movement are Shocked .... leaves most WB's a mile behind !!
Cheers MARTINA

I wouldn't call Andalusian a 'heavy' horse. Not the clumper type at all!

When crossed with friesian and perch would certainly have an element of clumper though! Your young fella is lovely Martina, do you still have him?

I agree with what a lot of people have already said, I used to love the clydie x's, now not so much - sure there are some rippers, but I've also seen a lot of strange, spooky, piggy temperaments amongst the clydies Confused

index.php?t=getfile&id=554084&private=0
Re: Those who own heavy horses [message #2675912 is a reply to message #2675343 ] Wed, 13 June 2012 20:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  WildnFree  is currently offline WildnFree  
Level 4
cocochanel wrote on Wed, 13 June 2012 10:55

lachtuin wrote on Wed, 13 June 2012 10:41

What is it about Clydie's that turns you off them? Are they just too pushy and strong? Just curious Smile

Not pure clydies only Clydie X's Smile

I had a very bad experience with my old mare & she sort've shattered my confidence & respect towards Clydie Xs Sad

& it's finally hit me that the Xs are not what they're made out to be, they can be quite temperamental when they choose to!

Ahhhhhh Lou I love your boy aswell. I'm still considering them too! What heights do they grow to though?

I have a Clydie X Anglo.
He has done very high level eventing and with me we are doing medium dressage.

He has the most amazing temp ever. Very quite and gentle. He is just under 17hh. But he has never put a foot wrong.

He is soo very kind and loves his cuddles.

Its not the Clydie X breed it is the individual horse not the breed that had a 'bad temp'.

Any horse can be temperamental and shatter your confidence its not the cldie X breed.

index.php?t=getfile&id=307857&private=&private=1
Re: Those who own heavy horses [message #2675924 is a reply to message #2675317 ] Wed, 13 June 2012 20:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  misglen  
Completely Insane
yarrav wrote on Wed, 13 June 2012 10:35

Ther are Welsh Cobs around the 15.2hh and Welsh Cob X Tb's that are round the 16hh.
Nawarrah Park have some lovely big Cobs and Cob X's for sale. I know one that I would have tomorrow if I had some cash Razz

Aah yes yarrav, love those Nawarrah Park ponies, but then im slightly biased cos i have one Very Happy

Cobs are great, they do everything Smile
Re: Those who own heavy horses - add your stories & photos :) [message #2676093 is a reply to message #2675269 ] Thu, 14 June 2012 00:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  Dharma  is currently offline Dharma  
Level 1
My sister breeds welsh cobs and I have 2 she bred.

the mare is up to height section C at 13.3hh and has plenty of bone and feather and my rising 2 year old gelding will eventually have it as well without the round bone that the draft horses tend to have, not to mention a divine pony head. He is only currently 12hh at 2 and a half but will likely only go 13hh but he has already jumped a metre + out of his paddock the little bugger.

I am not sure you could get much quieter than either of these 2 ponies not to mention enthusiastic about learning new things and spending time with me.

The mare is 10 years old and has been a broodie for last six years after being ridden for 3 months when broken in as a 4 year old and remembers everything she was taught like it was yesterday. We are talking half passes, walk trot and canter on voice command under saddle and on the lunge as well as side pass and stand still at mounting block to be mounted on command as well as at liberty work on the ground.

My daughter owns a 17hh pure bred welsh cob also bred by my sister. She has bred quite a few over 15hh all purebred

It ain't life if you are not living it.

index.php?t=getfile&id=580453&private=0
Re: Those who own heavy horses - add your stories & photos :) [message #2676154 is a reply to message #2675485 ] Thu, 14 June 2012 08:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  Missy Moo  is currently offline Missy Moo  
Stark, Raving Bonkers
I love clydie X's, but having had 2, I'm well aware that they're not the super quiet horse's that some people believe them to be. They're spooky, many have a bit of pigroot/buck in them and many will put it over you if they feel they can. But, I find that when the going gets tough, they'll hold it together and get through it with you (but may shy at the horse eating jump judge afterwards). I love them though!

I have heard that full blooded clydies are similar in that they are spooky.

To the OP, don't discount any horse based on breed is my recommendation, they all have good points and bad as well as good individuals and bad. Good luck!
Re: Those who own heavy horses - add your stories & photos :) [message #2676186 is a reply to message #2675753 ] Thu, 14 June 2012 08:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  djrayment  
loubar wrote on Wed, 13 June 2012 17:20

Im not sure if you can get them easily here but these have always been my fave heavy horse - The Belgian Draft

index.php?t=getfile&id=514530&private=0

I work with a couple from Belgium and we were talking about these guys - apparently they are exceedingly rare and are now considered 'endangered' in Belgium - extremely spunky animals though, hopefully someone brings some in to Aus, gets them out and about and starts a craze Smile
Re: Those who own heavy horses [message #2676207 is a reply to message #2675912 ] Thu, 14 June 2012 09:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  cocochanel  
WildnFree wrote on Wed, 13 June 2012 20:13

cocochanel wrote on Wed, 13 June 2012 10:55

lachtuin wrote on Wed, 13 June 2012 10:41

What is it about Clydie's that turns you off them? Are they just too pushy and strong? Just curious Smile

Not pure clydies only Clydie X's Smile

I had a very bad experience with my old mare & she sort've shattered my confidence & respect towards Clydie Xs Sad

& it's finally hit me that the Xs are not what they're made out to be, they can be quite temperamental when they choose to!

Ahhhhhh Lou I love your boy aswell. I'm still considering them too! What heights do they grow to though?

I have a Clydie X Anglo.
He has done very high level eventing and with me we are doing medium dressage.

He has the most amazing temp ever. Very quite and gentle. He is just under 17hh. But he has never put a foot wrong.

He is soo very kind and loves his cuddles.

Its not the Clydie X breed it is the individual horse not the breed that had a 'bad temp'.

Any horse can be temperamental and shatter your confidence its not the cldie X breed.

If I was to ever consider a Clydie X again I'd be looking at it's bloodlines & what the dam & sire were like with temperament.

My previous CC was bred from an extremely hot OTT who was a chronic rearer. The breeder thought she'd get a balanced foal when crossed with the Clydie.. well no. It didn't work out like that.

So will definitely only be buying something that I know has a decent background story.

But I don't want a Clydie X - been there done that. Bring on the purebreds or Perch / Fresian Xs Smile

R.I.P My beautiful BJ
Re: Those who own heavy horses [message #2676233 is a reply to message #2676207 ] Thu, 14 June 2012 09:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  Eddy  is currently offline Eddy  
Level 1
My previous CC was bred from an extremely hot OTT who was a chronic rearer. The breeder thought she'd get a balanced foal when crossed with the Clydie.. well no. It didn't work out like that

Quote fail Rolls Eyes

It all goes back to the dumbf**k that bred your horse. That mare should never have been bred from and somehow the clydey part of it gets the blame for the problems

Anyway, I am not trying to push any particular breed. Good luck with your search
Re: Those who own heavy horses [message #2676246 is a reply to message #2676233 ] Thu, 14 June 2012 09:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  cocochanel  
Eddy wrote on Thu, 14 June 2012 09:31

My previous CC was bred from an extremely hot OTT who was a chronic rearer. The breeder thought she'd get a balanced foal when crossed with the Clydie.. well no. It didn't work out like that

Quote fail Rolls Eyes

It all goes back to the dumbf**k that bred your horse. That mare should never have been bred from and somehow the clydey part of it gets the blame for the problems

Anyway, I am not trying to push any particular breed. Good luck with your search

To right - your not wrong there.

& unfortunately because of that I have a tainted perception on a Clydie X TB mix. Look I'm sure if I came across a bombproof Clydie X i'd consider it but personally I'm a full feathered clomper type of girl - not really interested in crossing Clydies anymore - I'd rather a purebred

ETA - & with me wanting a purebred it isn't because I've had a bad experienced - I've ALWAYS wanted one since the dawn of time. Clydesdales, Percherons & Fresians are my all time favourite breeds & the only reason I purchased my old mare is because she was the closest thing to a Clydie I could afford at the time. Now I'll be saving for a year or two & really putting the money into one.... & I can't bloody wait!!!!! Very Happy

[Updated on: Thu, 14 June 2012 09:47]

R.I.P My beautiful BJ
Re: Those who own heavy horses - add your stories & photos :) [message #2676265 is a reply to message #2675269 ] Thu, 14 June 2012 10:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  Friesian Friend  
Another option that might help you in your choice of heavy is to go down to Willow Lodge Riding Ranch at Somerville (andy10 on this forum) and there you will be able to have your choices of riding pure clydesdales, friesians, crosses and there are even a few gypsy cobs, don't think there are any perchies but maybe you could borrow one and ride. This way you could get the feel of them and what they are capable of doing to see which one suits you and your needs before you buy. You will be able to walk, trot, canter and jump a few logs. Buying a purebred, you can trace the family history and get an idea of what the temperaments, etc will be like and their builds, etc.

Friesians and Clydies all the way Very Happy Very Happy
Re: Those who own heavy horses - add your stories & photos :) [message #2676269 is a reply to message #2675269 ] Thu, 14 June 2012 10:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  Emma  
Its my party and I'll hoo haa if I want to

My vote would be for an Irish Draught, but I'm biased. Smile

Toot toot chugga chugga big red car...
Re: Those who own heavy horses - add your stories & photos :) [message #2676275 is a reply to message #2676269 ] Thu, 14 June 2012 10:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  cocochanel  
Emma wrote on Thu, 14 June 2012 10:03

My vote would be for an Irish Draught, but I'm biased. Smile

Have you got one Emma?! Might have to start googling.......

R.I.P My beautiful BJ
Re: Those who own heavy horses - add your stories & photos :) [message #2676276 is a reply to message #2676265 ] Thu, 14 June 2012 10:11 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
  cocochanel  
Friesian Friend wrote on Thu, 14 June 2012 10:01

Another option that might help you in your choice of heavy is to go down to Willow Lodge Riding Ranch at Somerville (andy10 on this forum) and there you will be able to have your choices of riding pure clydesdales, friesians, crosses and there are even a few gypsy cobs, don't think there are any perchies but maybe you could borrow one and ride. This way you could get the feel of them and what they are capable of doing to see which one suits you and your needs before you buy. You will be able to walk, trot, canter and jump a few logs. Buying a purebred, you can trace the family history and get an idea of what the temperaments, etc will be like and their builds, etc.

Friesians and Clydies all the way Very Happy Very Happy

What a great idea - thankyou for that Smile

I've always wanted to go there for a ride regardless so may have hurry up Smile

R.I.P My beautiful BJ
Previous Topic:Would you give up
Next Topic:Saas Fee OR Happy Den Progeny?? some1 be horse detective c'morn!!!
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Oct 31 16:33:44 EST 2014

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.05762 seconds
.:: Home ::.