[Home]       [Forum]       [Event Calendar]       [Forum Birthdays]

Home » Vichorse Forum » General - Off Topic » SLR Lenses?
SLR Lenses? [message #2665521] Thu, 31 May 2012 21:55 Go to next message
  cassie_nicole  is currently offline cassie_nicole  
Level 1
Im looking into getting a SLR and was wondering how the different lenses work, and since there are a few photographers on here thought I'd ask.

What I want to do is mainly close ups, but also landscapes and horsie shots of course. Im looking at a Nikon camera. So I was wondering what would be a couple of lenses that might suit? Are there special closeup lenses or can you use one like the 50-200mm?

Thanks.
Re: SLR Lenses? [message #2665545 is a reply to message #2665521 ] Thu, 31 May 2012 22:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  ellabw6  is currently offline ellabw6  
Stark, Raving Bonkers
I recently posted a similar topic, I can't remember how much lens info there was in there as I was asking about the whole package but it may be of some help Smile

The horse through all its trials has preserved the sweetness of paradise in its blood.
Re: SLR Lenses? [message #2665644 is a reply to message #2665521 ] Fri, 01 June 2012 06:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  Equivarna  
The forum drove me to drink. Remind me to thank it.
70 - 200mm is the usual lens used by pro's for equestrian work. Of more importance is the maximum aperture. Most kit lenses are only 55mm dia with a maximum aperture of f4.5(reducing to f5.6 when zoomed). The bigger 77mm lenses that pro use have a constant aperture as large as f2.8, allowing you to keep your shutter speeds higher in low light conditions. You need to keep your shutter speed up to around 1/800th to avoid blurred manes and legs. You can't do that with a kit lens except in brilliant sunshine or by increasing your ISO to the point of pixelation.

Those extra f stops don't come cheap. A 70 - 200mm kit lens with standard aperture can often be found on ebay for less than $100 s/h. The bigger 77mm lenses can run to near $1k depending on the manufacturer of the lens and which camera body you have.

This lens however will not any use for close up work.

If a man says something in the forest, and no woman is there to hear him; is he still wrong?
Re: SLR Lenses? [message #2665677 is a reply to message #2665644 ] Fri, 01 June 2012 07:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  galloping46  is currently offline galloping46  
This computer will self destruct in 10 posts

I cant help with lenses for a nikon but I will say this; nikon you have a very small range of lenses you can use. canon you can put any brand of lens on it so your range is much greater

If youre looking into doing closeups have a look at "macro" lens.
though your standard 18-55mm can do close ups its a kit lens and isnt that great.

if youre wanting to do landscapes and horses youll need something that has a max of 200 or 300 to do a nice job.

stay away from cheap lenses if you want good photos. you may have the top of the range camera but a cheap lens can make your camera look like its the bottom range.

a lens makes or breaks you.

I presonally do event photography and photo-shoots (avail july onwards Wink) and I use a 100-400mm lens it is an "L" series and set me back $1500

Youre better off getting a cheaper camera (for instance I only have a canon 550d (soon to be upgraded) but because I have a good lens the photos are amazing) and a decent lens that spending all your money on a really good camera and putting crap lenses on them

Re: SLR Lenses? [message #2665697 is a reply to message #2665677 ] Fri, 01 June 2012 08:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  honeyjoy  
The forum drove me to drink. Remind me to thank it.
galloping46 wrote on Fri, 01 June 2012 07:44

I cant help with lenses for a nikon but I will say this; nikon you have a very small range of lenses you can use. canon you can put any brand of lens on it so your range is much greater

though your standard 18-55mm can do close ups its a kit lens and isnt that great.

if youre wanting to do landscapes and horses youll need something that has a max of 200 or 300 to do a nice job.

stay away from cheap lenses if you want good photos. you may have the top of the range camera but a cheap lens can make your camera look like its the bottom range.

I presonally do event photography and photo-shoots (avail july onwards Wink) and I use a 100-400mm lens it is an "L" series and set me back $1500

Youre better off getting a cheaper camera (for instance I only have a canon 550d (soon to be upgraded) but because I have a good lens the photos are amazing) and a decent lens that spending all your money on a really good camera and putting crap lenses on them

Sorry, each brand have their own bayonet type fitting, and many brands such as Tamron (have been around donkeys years) etc make generic lenses that fit Nikons, Canon, Pentax and so on....you buy them in the brand mount you need for your particular camera! You can also buy adaptors, so if you have a lens with a different fitting, you can change it to the fitting you need....

Lenses will only fit Canon lenses (or Nikon etc) if they have the correct mount for that particular brand, otherwise buy an adaptor. Works for all the brands!!

ETA a link for them - knew you could still get them...sold these a 100 years ago in a previous life!

http://www.srb-griturn.com/camera-adaptors-306-c.asp

[Updated on: Fri, 01 June 2012 08:15]

Re: SLR Lenses? [message #2666074 is a reply to message #2665697 ] Fri, 01 June 2012 14:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  bramarespanishhorses  is currently offline bramarespanishhorses  
Level 1 - Advanced
I have a Nikon D80 and a Nikon D7000 and have Nikkor, Tamron and Sigma lens for both cameras. The beauty of the Nikon bodies is that almost all the Nikon lens will go on all the bodies.

How much are you wanting to spend on your camera? I recently got the D7000 as a step up from the D80. It works very well in low light situations. I have the 70-300mm lens which I use a lot for horse photography, and more recently got a 90mm Sigma macro which I love Very Happy

Bramare Spanish Horses
http://www.bramere.com
Re: SLR Lenses? [message #2666513 is a reply to message #2665697 ] Fri, 01 June 2012 22:41 Go to previous message
  galloping46  is currently offline galloping46  
This computer will self destruct in 10 posts

honeyjoy wrote on Fri, 01 June 2012 08:11

galloping46 wrote on Fri, 01 June 2012 07:44

Sorry, each brand have their own bayonet type fitting, and many brands such as Tamron (have been around donkeys years) etc make generic lenses that fit Nikons, Canon, Pentax and so on....you buy them in the brand mount you need for your particular camera! You can also buy adaptors, so if you have a lens with a different fitting, you can change it to the fitting you need....

Lenses will only fit Canon lenses (or Nikon etc) if they have the correct mount for that particular brand, otherwise buy an adaptor. Works for all the brands!!

ETA a link for them - knew you could still get them...sold these a 100 years ago in a previous life!

http://www.srb-griturn.com/camera-adaptors-306-c.asp

oh well, will admit to being wrong.

that is what I have always heard and been taught by many many people. I personally have never researched it. as I stick to canon stuff.
Previous Topic:Adding food colouring??
Next Topic:Getting rid of ^&#%* Cockatoos
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Nov 1 18:31:49 EST 2014

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.03654 seconds

.:: Home ::.