[Home]       [Forum]       [Event Calendar]       [Forum Birthdays]

Home » Vichorse Forum » Breeds » Cleveland Bays
Cleveland Bays [message #14435] Sun, 01 January 2006 15:48 Go to next message
  Cyberhorse Mel  is currently offline Cyberhorse Mel  
Completely Insane
Are there any other CB owners out there? Send a message in and tell us all about your horses. I am lucky enough to own one beautiful mare Gift of Killarnie (Bellini) and work with another one Reveille of Neika and about to start another one in the new year. My image pic is my CB Mare at her first eventing start at Avenel where she gave me the most fantastic ride and started off my eventing bug again Smile
index.php?t=getfile&id=1808&private=0

Cyberhorse - everything to do with horses
Re: Cleveland Bays [message #16898 is a reply to message #14435 ] Sun, 08 January 2006 21:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  kerryn  is currently offline kerryn  
Troppo. Loco. Round the twist.
Hi Mel, we've got two. Myst we bred ourselves (Karramar Mystique is her full name). She is 5yo by Bantry Bere and out of a Forest Field Day mare, currently around 16:1 hh with a lot of growing still to do. She was broken in at 4yo and ridden lightly for a few months and turned out again. She came in today and had her first ride in 8 months and was just so quiet and lovely. Her turns were a bit rusty but apart from that was just great. She's going to do some light trail riding now, then hopefully she will be strong enough to start her dressage career when she turns 6 - slow maturers these CBs!!

Our other CB is Roy. He's by Wetherby Barry Crump, 12yo and 16:3 hh. He's had a few problems over the years - pain causing learned helplessness, but with clicker training is gradually learning that he can go forward. He's got the best temperament and is a really lovely horse.

Kerryn

Secretary, Australian Equine Barefoot Movement Inc (AEBM)
www.aebm.org.au

'Would those who say it can't be done please stop bothering those already doing it!'

http://home.exetel.com.au/karramar/Rockstar001.jpg
Re: Cleveland Bays [message #17197 is a reply to message #16898 ] Mon, 09 January 2006 14:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Revielle Belly  is currently offline Revielle Belly
Level 5

hey mel
well as u no i have a clevelandbay called......reveille (lard arse Razz )
ooh and kerryn she is also by wetherby barry crump Very Happy

Theres no Reveille just belly!!!
Re: Cleveland Bays [message #72919 is a reply to message #14435 ] Thu, 29 June 2006 13:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  redset  is currently offline redset  
Level 1 - Advanced
hello there,

I have an 18 months old CB X TB. My gelding is out of Austral Park midnight magic and he has a super temprement.
Re: Cleveland Bays [message #77070 is a reply to message #72919 ] Fri, 07 July 2006 18:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  Feather  
The forum drove me to drink. Remind me to thank it.

I'm thinking on taking on my broodmares sister, who is by Gilshaw Calip. Have ridden a few times and has a lovely temp. A foal is such along way away

some people truly live in a small small world.
Re: Cleveland Bays [message #86367 is a reply to message #77070 ] Mon, 24 July 2006 12:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  TobyStorm  
Level 1
I've just become a Cleveland Bay owner! Very Happy My new boy is "Yorick of Neika" - he is by Wetherby Barry Crump out of Tripitaka, a Welsh Cob/TB mare.

He is just lovely - about 15.3hh, rising 6 and.... um....bay in colour - a very deep mahogany bay. He has a kind eye and an inquisitive disposition. I only picked him up on Saturday but he is settling into his new home well.

Hopefully I'll get some photos of him on the weekend.

*dances a happy dance around the office*
Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Re: Cleveland Bays [message #128249 is a reply to message #86367 ] Sun, 08 October 2006 20:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Completely Insane
Congratulations - how is he going? I saw this boy advertised and thought he looked very cute. I didnt know anyone at the time, but Ive got two people looking for CB X at the moment, so if anyone hears of anyhting let me know. They are very, very precious.

Oh BTW Congratulations to Robyn Watkins and her gorgeous CB X Bangor Ivy League who are in the HRCAV Top Ten nominations for Horse Trials. Yeah Robyn - how good are Clevies????

Jean good luck with bringing your gorgeous mare back into work - we hope to see you out and about soon.

Re: Cleveland Bays [message #138350 is a reply to message #128249 ] Wed, 25 October 2006 07:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  Feather  

CM I know of a ClevelandX mare sitting in a paddock doing nothing, I have just picked up her sister. The owners are not using her as they have quite a number of horse in work. They are willing to sell her to the right home.

Re: Cleveland Bays [message #156666 is a reply to message #14435 ] Thu, 23 November 2006 12:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Level 1 - Advanced
Just thought I'd post a pic of my mare's latest foal. This little filly is a full sister to my TB X CB geld.

I have leased my lovely mare to Vicky from Austral PArk Cleveland Bay stud.

I'm not sure what they have named the filly but I love her.
index.php?t=getfile&id=18112&private=0
Re: Cleveland Bays [message #157709 is a reply to message #156666 ] Fri, 24 November 2006 14:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
How cute!

Hey if any of you CB owners are interested, I've got Kate Boyes (who owns and rides the Grand Prix CB Sporthorse, Octavious of Neika) coming to my place in Woori Yallock for a series of 'clinics'. I still have a place left on 5th December (3pm approx) and plenty left for 19th December, 9th January and 20th January. Or I may be able to slot someone into a semi-private. Email me if you're intersted on karramar@hotmail.com

[Updated on: Fri, 24 November 2006 14:34]

Kerryn

www.aebm.org.au

'Would those who say it can't be done please stop bothering those already doing it!'

Re: Cleveland Bays [message #158370 is a reply to message #14435 ] Sun, 26 November 2006 08:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  just_a_bit_crazy  
Completely Insane

Hey CM...This is a bit off topic but i was wondering what boots your horse was wearing in the photos?? Rolling Eyes Very Happy Very nice horse and photo by the way Very Happy

Procrastination is like masturbation. At first it feels good, but in the end you're only screwing yourself.

www.myspace.com/bushbashinutechick
Re: Cleveland Bays [message #158913 is a reply to message #158370 ] Mon, 27 November 2006 10:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Completely Insane
thanks Smile
boots are horseland eventing boots with neoprene lining

Re: Cleveland Bays [message #186764 is a reply to message #14435 ] Mon, 08 January 2007 13:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Level 1 - Advanced
Attention all Cleveland Bay/ cross owners.

If you are have not already done so - please check out www.clevelandbays.com.au and consider becoming a member of the society and registering any CB's/ CBX's.

We would really like to expand the membership base this year, particuarly for those in Victoria. We also have some ideas about getting Cb society members together during 2007/

Some ideas being thrown about include an exhibition day, dinners, rides and whatever else we can come up with.

For those interested in CB's. Vicky ( owner of Austral Park Cleveland bay Stud) will be holding a stud open day (s) in March. This will be a great opportunity to see Cb's in action, see bredding stock and youngstock for sale.

I will post confirmed dates and times as soon as I know.

If you have any further questions or queries please don't hesitate to PM, email me on akkna1@hotmail.com or phone me on 0404 013 695.

Amber
Re: Cleveland Bays [message #212579 is a reply to message #14435 ] Thu, 08 February 2007 16:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  Shell  is currently offline Shell  
Level 1 - Advanced

Ohh Ohh, I can play in this thread ........ we have a number of CBSHs here at the moment!! Smile

We have been in to CBs for quite a while - I got into them when friends of mine bought a CBSH stallion some time ago.....

Found a mare I really liked and decided to breed my own CBSH by my friends stallion......

Ariella was my girl that I bred - loved her to bits.....she was the PERFECT horse for me...... right up til she broke her jaw in a paddock accident and had to be put down..... (she was also in foal at the time)......

We have had a few others - a half CB half TB colt, Limerick, who died of an aneurism, a purebred CB stallion, who died of a rupture where the colon joins the rectal wall, and a half CB half TB mare who had a blow out in her intestinal wall..... all of which were completely out of our control!!

Heaps of people asked us if we were going to give up on CBs after all that bad luck with them.......but nope, we are stubborn and kept going!!!

We have managed to build our numbers back up again thankfully and are really pleased with the ones we have now......

Billara Beersheba - 3/4 CB 1/4 TB young stallion - hes just gorgeous...... need to get some updated photos of him...... hes 2 1/2 yrs old now.......

Billara Killari - 1/2 CB 1/2 TB mare - Beershebas dam......

CM Bushveldt Carbineer - 3/4 CB 1/4 TB colt - born October 2006 - full brother to Beersheba - so obviously Killaris son.......we wont be keeping him though as we have his brother......

CM Killarnie Ceilidh - 1/2 CB 1/2 TB mare...... gorgeous girl she is......

we still have her October 2006 colt here - CM Cullen Eachan - even though hes been sold to a lovely lady in QLD..... hes 1/4 CB, 3/4 TB and is a stunner.....

and we sold Ceilidhs January 2005 foal CM Alina Keely to a friend in NSW who also breeds CBSHs...... Keely was the first black and white CBSH to be registered in Australasia.

LOVE our CBs...... our dream is to buy a purebred mare down the track.......

Will dig up some pics to put up......

Reigate Cleveland Bay & Sporthorse Stud
http://www.reigatestud.com

Winged Horse Productions
http://www.wingedhorseproductions.com
Re: Cleveland Bays [message #214366 is a reply to message #14435 ] Sun, 11 February 2007 07:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Level 1 - Advanced
Okay guys, for those interested there is an open day at Austral Park Cleveland Bay stud on saturday the 31st March 2007 from 10am to 4pm.

This is a wonderful opportunity to see CB stallions, partbreds, youngstock for sale and meet people passionate about the Cb breed.

Also a chance to join the society on the day.

For further details please call stud owner Vicky on 56275773, 0417688077

or myself on 0404 013 695

Hope to see you there.
Re: Cleveland Bays [message #214941 is a reply to message #214366 ] Mon, 12 February 2007 07:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  Feather  

I would so love to come and look at the stallions, thinking of puting my mare to a Cleveland X.

Re: Cleveland Bays [message #216802 is a reply to message #214941 ] Wed, 14 February 2007 10:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  Nez_  
Step away from the computer,

A good friend of mine sold her big solid TB mare to Austral Park as a broodie many years ago, her name was Dee.....anyone know if she is still there?

Nezpix ~www.nezzie.net~
Re: Cleveland Bays [message #263403 is a reply to message #216802 ] Sat, 28 April 2007 10:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  Feather  

Does anyone actually have and compete on Clevelands. I am competing on one and am about to get another. It would be nice to think that there is more out there Very Happy

Re: Cleveland Bays [message #263815 is a reply to message #263403 ] Sat, 28 April 2007 21:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Our young one has been to her first competition (dressage). Very babyish Level 4 (and she's 6yo... Embarassed). She's on a break at the moment, hopefully will be out and about again in a month's time. Very Happy

As well as you, Feather, we met TobyStorm and Yorick of Neika at UBRC. Also Redset at Vicki's open day.

Kerryn

www.aebm.org.au

Re: Cleveland Bays [message #263886 is a reply to message #263815 ] Sun, 29 April 2007 08:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  Feather  

I can't beleive that there is not more of them out there. I know they are slow starters, but the go for ever and ever. Bonnie is about to go level 3, will have to learn to get her around those smaller circles. Laughing But we are coming along. The bonus I find with them is they don't need much work to maintain so sense. I think the TB might be getting the sack Laughing Laughing

Re: Cleveland Bays [message #263892 is a reply to message #263886 ] Sun, 29 April 2007 09:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
They're a rare breed - did you know that they are on the Endangered Breeds list?

You're right about not needing much work. Our youngster was turned out from breaking in for 6 or 12 months, and then Peter just hopped straight back on and took her out trail riding like she was an old experienced horse. She's not yet been in full work, so she's really not much more than a breaker, yet you can ride her once a week, once a fortnight, once a month - makes no difference. That's why I'm going to have her and Peter will keep the grey mare (who was going to be mine).

[Updated on: Sun, 29 April 2007 09:31]

Kerryn

www.aebm.org.au

Re: Cleveland Bays [message #263895 is a reply to message #263892 ] Sun, 29 April 2007 09:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  Feather  

Yes I knew they were rare, Perhaps I had better get breeding. What with three mares I should be able to produce 1 Laughing
Mind miss bon has decided to start shying Laughing at chickens. not much chance of falling off though Very Happy

Re: Cleveland Bays [message #263898 is a reply to message #263895 ] Sun, 29 April 2007 09:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well chickens are scary! Laughing They do shy slowly don't they? Myst just tilts her head sideways and tries to sidestep scary things. We have found that they're a bit 'spooky', but in such a quiet way. Smile I can't wait to start riding her - she's hopefully doing her first clinic in July, before I take her on (I'm the chicken here Laughing)

Kerryn

www.aebm.org.au

Re: Cleveland Bays [message #284072 is a reply to message #263898 ] Fri, 25 May 2007 07:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  Feather  

Well Miss B is proving herself to be a great HRCAV horse, we have just pointed up to level 3 and appear to be half way to level 2 Shocked Will be interesting to see hwo we cope with the level 3 work, canter remains a bit unbalanced, but is much better than what it was in jan Very Happy

Someone said that cleveland tend to have issues with canter has anyone experienced this, just in that they find it difficult

Re: Cleveland Bays [message #284084 is a reply to message #284072 ] Fri, 25 May 2007 08:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The CBs we've had all have fabulous canters. Canter was the best pace by far in the mare I used to ride (our young mare's mother) - it was like riding marshmallow! And even though she was really green, she was doing counter canter loops and figures of eight without change of lead in no time - yet still couldn't give me any length of stride in trot. Her daughter also has a great canter (not under saddle yet, she's barely started canter under saddle). In the paddock she does collected canter, canter pirouettes - its just her easiest, most balanced pace. We've had more problems with trot in our CBs - short and poky.

Kerryn

www.aebm.org.au

Re: Cleveland Bays [message #284867 is a reply to message #284084 ] Fri, 25 May 2007 22:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  Feather  

Swap you some my trot, for some of your canter Laughing
Apparenty Miss B injured herself in canter and has not been the same since. She is much much better than she was when I got her, doesn't get nearly as upset as she used to Smile I suppose we just need more work in canter

Re: Cleveland Bays [message #287575 is a reply to message #284867 ] Tue, 29 May 2007 20:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  TobyStorm  
Level 1
Hi there *waves*

Haven't logged on much lately - hope everything is going
well for everyone. Great to meet you kerryn at UBRC -
Yorick blotted his copybook there a bit with some 'extra'
movements in his tests..... Very Happy

Here he is at SEDC - in these particular photos he came
3rd in both tests- 2nd in the jackpot and 3rd overall for
the Autumn series in level 3. So he's kinda 'unblotted' his
copybook!! These were his first comps so I am very
happy Very Happy Very Happy

http://www.morriemathews.com/promopack/SEDC_Autumn_Series_Dr essage_27May07/cat0/pages/p00247.html

http://www.morriemathews.com/promopack/SEDC_Autumn_Series_Dr essage_27May07/cat0/pages/p00248.html

Re: Cleveland Bays [message #288218 is a reply to message #287575 ] Wed, 30 May 2007 18:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lovely! He looks so soft and loose, its so nice to see you giving him plenty of rein and him with working with a long, soft neck. And doesn't he look like his big brother, Tigger (Octavius of Neika)!!! Very Happy I read about his extras at UBRC in the CB newsletter. Cheeky boy!

Our young CB mare had her first ride tonight after two months (enforced) break. It was getting towards dark, windy, cold, with the two dogs running around. She was as laid back as always, though very green and wobbly. Rolling Eyes So calm though - she toddled around in walk and trot, and surprisingly was quite forward. If all goes well, we'll take her to first clinic at the end of July and then maybe (MAYBE Very Happy) I'll start riding her. My big goal is to take her to a clinic in November. Very Happy

Kerryn

www.aebm.org.au

Re: Cleveland Bays [message #288476 is a reply to message #288218 ] Thu, 31 May 2007 07:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  Feather  

mmm Nice pony Tobystorm

Hey Kerryn are you and OH going to Upper pakenham, I'm taking the mad thoroughbred and the always sensible CBX Laughing This will be her first run a level 3 Shocked could be interesting

Re: Cleveland Bays [message #288496 is a reply to message #288476 ] Thu, 31 May 2007 08:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey Feather, no we're not - I didn't know about it until I saw the draw go up on the forum (must have missed it in Chaff Chat somehow). The grey mare has just been turned out for a 6 week break, the CB mare has just had her first ride, so we haven't got anything to take anyway. Pity. Hopefully we can catch up at another event soon!

Kerryn

www.aebm.org.au

Re: Cleveland Bays [message #338785 is a reply to message #288496 ] Sat, 11 August 2007 20:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've very excited! Very Happy I've just started riding our young CB mare, Myst. I've been riding her for about three weeks now, after having a lesson with Andrew McLean at her first ever weekend clinic. She was so quiet and well behaved that I felt brave enough to hop on for Sunday morning's lesson with Andrew. I felt so at home and comfortable on her that I've been riding her ever since. (I'm a huge chicken and have only been able to ride my security blanket, Clive - percheron x Embarassed).

I had a lovely ride on her last Sunday where she really started to show some promise in this 'dressage caper'. Razz Today I took her for a lesson with Helen Davies. Helen is a vet and a biomechanics specialist from Melbourne University Vet School. Helen feels that once she learns how to use her body correctly, that she has the makings of a Grand Prix horse! Wow, how flabergasted was I??!!! Shocked She's not a flamboyant horse, but Helen feels that her conformation is good enough and that she's a very sound prospect. So I am somewhat happy with that, even though it will probably never happen. Rolling Eyes Very Happy

Kerryn

www.aebm.org.au

Re: Cleveland Bays [message #340462 is a reply to message #338785 ] Tue, 14 August 2007 07:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  Feather  

Hi Kerryn

So pleased to hear you have finally got on your girl. Who needs flamboyant, when you can have steady and realiable. Very Happy

We are starting to get our canter happening, which is very pleasing Very Happy Bonn has had a bit of a rest, but I took her out to Greenhills on the weekends. I think she needs a bit more time out, got her self a little upset. Did some nice work in her test though. Very Happy

Re: Cleveland Bays [message #340470 is a reply to message #340462 ] Tue, 14 August 2007 07:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Are you going to do the Diamond Valley series? We're hoping to get to all three, with the grey mare and my older gelding. Myst needs to learn canter and circles first before I start taking her out - and I need to get graded too. Razz I've only managed get half the arena in canter so far, so its needs a little more work... Rolling Eyes She's got a good canter in her, just needs convincing to actually do it under saddle. She's not the world's most livelyist! Though Helen says her forwardness will be quite different once she knows how to use her body. Which I've already felt - every so often she lowers her head and neck, lifts her back and is able to come through from behind, then instantly she is lovely and forward, and rising to the trot becomes effortless. When she gets it she feels awesome, we just need to start joining the 'bits' together. Smile

Kerryn

www.aebm.org.au

Re: Cleveland Bays [message #340483 is a reply to message #340470 ] Tue, 14 August 2007 08:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  Feather  

Laughing been there with the canter, last november in fact. We can now manage 15m circles on a good day.

I wasn't planning on doing Diamond valley at the moment, haven't even look at at it. I am doing an unofficial series on her. She is 1/2 way to level 2 and no way ready Shocked

Good luck with it though

Re: Cleveland Bays [message #340486 is a reply to message #340483 ] Tue, 14 August 2007 08:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
1/2 way to Level 2 is great, considering last time we saw you she was Level 4. Our grey mare is Level 3 now, but has only had one outing at the end of last season since pointing out of Level 4. Peter's hoping to have a go at a Level 2 test this season, if he can just organise his sitting trot. Smile

And me, back to Level 4 for me. Laughing I'm actually really looking forward to playing with some Level 4 tests. Myst's been out once and was such a good girl, but she really did flounder with the canter parts. So I'll work in that first, then hopefully early next year start taking her out. She's a funny horse, just loves human interraction and seems to really enjoy her rides. She's always at the gate saying 'take me, take me!' Laughing

Kerryn

www.aebm.org.au

Re: Cleveland Bays [message #340494 is a reply to message #340486 ] Tue, 14 August 2007 08:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  Feather  

Laughing Laughing Laughing I love sitting trot.

We haven't had a real placing in level 3, we had .5 to go to point out. I took her to Barssel, she one both tests. Bang 37.5 points Shocked, 45 puts us into level 2. My aim is to get her to level 1 this season. Once we get the canter totally under control we should be fine.

Re: Cleveland Bays [message #340499 is a reply to message #340494 ] Tue, 14 August 2007 08:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Level 1 this season - way to go!!! Very Happy You're out most weekends though aren't you? I'm always seeing your name in the draws/results.

We'd like Cherie to be to Level 2 by the end of this season. But we only compete maybe once a month, sometimes twice. But she's going nicely, finally learning to canter calmly and is doing quite well at shoulder-in, and has started learning walk pirouettes.

Kerryn

www.aebm.org.au

Re: Cleveland Bays [message #340509 is a reply to message #340499 ] Tue, 14 August 2007 08:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  Feather  

Yes had the TB out quite a bit, done a little on the mare mostly unofficial on the mare as we need the experience.

Re: Cleveland Bays [message #341694 is a reply to message #340509 ] Wed, 15 August 2007 22:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  panda  
Level 1 - Advanced
Hello to all you CB enthusiasts, Very Happy Very Happy

I am wondering if you have ever heard of the stud called Braelea Park Rolling Eyes they had CB's Very Happy

I would be interested in contacting them, they had a Trakehner Stallion many years ago called Fred Astaire and I would like to know about him.

Any info would be appreciated Very Happy

Thanks
Panda Very Happy

index.php?t=getfile&id=65453&private=0

http://oritahpark.com/
Re: Cleveland Bays [message #342156 is a reply to message #341694 ] Thu, 16 August 2007 21:04 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Hi Panda,

I had quite a bit of contact with David a few years ago as our young mare is out of a Forest Field Day mare and by Bantry Bere. David had Field Day at stud until he died, and we bought the Bantry Bere semen through him also. I haven't been in contact with David for a few years now, but last I heard he still had Fred Astaire, although he was mostly into CBs. The CB newsletter has his email address as dhjg@telstra.com

Kerryn

www.aebm.org.au

Previous Topic:Irish Sport Horses
Next Topic:Grulla
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Sep 16 19:25:47 EST 2014

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.03012 seconds
.:: Home ::.