[Home]       [Forum]       [Event Calendar]       [Forum Birthdays]

Home » Vichorse Forum » Fires » Fire Evacuation list
Fire Evacuation list [message #1541872] Tue, 10 November 2009 11:16 Go to next message
  Private Eye  
This computer will self destruct in 10 posts
Wasnt there a list available somewhere of people willing to offer their properties for fire evacuation for horses

My Computer wont co operate Mad

[Updated on: Sat, 05 January 2013 11:41] by Moderator

Re: Fire Evacuation list [message #1602734 is a reply to message #1541872 ] Thu, 17 December 2009 21:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  Holted  is currently offline Holted  
Yes I was wondering the same thing just the other day. I have space for one to two horses if need be and can collect them also so just wanted to put my name down somewhere as I did last year with Bobbiegirl.

Werribee & District Riding Club Inc. (WDRC):
http://sites.google.com/site/werribeedrc/
Re: Fire Evacuation list [message #1602788 is a reply to message #1602734 ] Thu, 17 December 2009 22:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  megsie86  is currently offline megsie86  
Its my party and I'll hoo haa if I want to
I have space to in flowerdale for anyone who needs refuge for there horses

https://www.facebook.com/pages/SM-Notley-Excavations/5117127 55547535

www.korunnavalleystation.webs.com

'Allegra' born 23/12/10 beautiful chestnut filly Smile
Re: Fire Evacuation list [message #1602940 is a reply to message #1541872 ] Thu, 17 December 2009 23:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  my girl  
http://vichorse.com/forum/index.php?t=msg&th=30447&p revloaded=1&S=9bafa68c52dfec31aca24827f0d2339b&start =0

Heaps here from last time.

Phil will have the list he will be able to out it up in the morning.

It wasn't me it was BM and Glenda or maybe it was Soozie Hoover.

potty mouth member 2008

Stalker Free

I'm a bitch and I don't care.

Re: Fire Evacuation list [message #1613971 is a reply to message #1541872 ] Wed, 23 December 2009 23:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  learns4life  is currently offline learns4life  
Step away from the computer,
wheres the list? still can't find it.......

it may be wise to "finalise" (don't think it ever really will be) the list so we can all print it and stash it away with the fire plans

Bob Marley said

I know I'm not perfect and I don't live to be. But, before you start pointing fingers, make sure your hands are clean

Try not to take it personally, I strongly dislike all humans... now horses, horses I like!
Re: Fire Evacuation list [message #1614212 is a reply to message #1541872 ] Thu, 24 December 2009 08:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  bayview  
Out of my way, I am in the midst of a hoo haa monologue
I have noticed there are more and more people joining here from the south west corner of Vic...

So if there is anyone who wants a safe evacuation paddock, I have a shared one available, however it is conditionable on teh weather and fire locations...

If anyone is interested in organising something for this area - feel free to PM me....

"I'm not Heartless, I just view the world different to you..."

"The foxes we shoot, save the wildlife you love"
Re: Fire Evacuation list [message #1626088 is a reply to message #1614212 ] Thu, 31 December 2009 19:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  Cyberhorse Mel  is currently offline Cyberhorse Mel  
Completely Insane
Accommodation available for several horses in Vermont
Transport available - car and float
I WILL have my licence back soon - but can arrange a driver if needed
Hopefully it wont be needed but it is there

A canter is a cure for every evil
Re: Fire Evacuation list [message #1626318 is a reply to message #1541872 ] Thu, 31 December 2009 22:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  Tillysmum  
Level 1

Happy to take any horses and have a double float if anyone needs any help

Very Happy

[Updated on: Sun, 03 January 2010 15:44]

Re: Fire Evacuation list [message #1644001 is a reply to message #1541872 ] Mon, 11 January 2010 08:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  Wings  is currently offline Wings  
I'm in Longwarry (SW Gippsland.) Dependent on weather warnings at the time I can take some horses on if anyone needs it. I hope no one does! Stay safe everyone.

"There is just as much horse sense as ever, but the horses have most of it."
Re: Fire Evacuation list [message #1644309 is a reply to message #1614212 ] Mon, 11 January 2010 11:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  black&white  is currently offline black&white  
Completely Insane
bayview wrote on Thu, 24 December 2009 08:38

I have noticed there are more and more people joining here from the south west corner of Vic...

So if there is anyone who wants a safe evacuation paddock, I have a shared one available, however it is conditionable on teh weather and fire locations...

If anyone is interested in organising something for this area - feel free to PM me....

for the sw victoria (or any one in victoria) i would suggest the local sale yards in your area. plenty of room and water available

Re: Fire Evacuation list [message #1644357 is a reply to message #1541872 ] Mon, 11 January 2010 11:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  megany  
I am on the list from last year, i lost it when my computer crashed 6 months ago Sad .

I have room here in Skye for up to 6 horses, share or private, with good fencing & electric Smile .
Re: Fire Evacuation list [message #1644402 is a reply to message #1644309 ] Mon, 11 January 2010 12:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  bayview  
black&white wrote on Mon, 11 January 2010 11:26

for the sw victoria (or any one in victoria) i would suggest the local sale yards in your area. plenty of room and water available

If they didnt close our local ones down - that would be a good option!!! nearest sale yards to Portland are warrnambool, hamilton & Mt gambier... all at least an hour INTO most likely fire direction...

I did hear that some people were planning on rocking up at Yarraman park in Portland if they needed to...they didnt know if it would be "allowed", but they are doing it anyway, as there are yards and water there...

Re: Fire Evacuation list [message #1644489 is a reply to message #1541872 ] Mon, 11 January 2010 13:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  Chaseeau  is currently offline Chaseeau  
I have room for several horses at my place in Ballarat. The fencing is secure horse fencing for anything from a shetland upwards and there is plenty of grass and I am on mains water. All I ask is mares or geldings only- no stallions.

Horses are brave and loyal and more,
but none so much as the horses of war.
www.internationalcavalry.org
Re: Fire Evacuation list [message #1644551 is a reply to message #1644402 ] Mon, 11 January 2010 13:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  black&white  is currently offline black&white  
Completely Insane
bayview wrote on Mon, 11 January 2010 12:17

If they didnt close our local ones down - that would be a good option!!! nearest sale yards to Portland are warrnambool, hamilton & Mt gambier... all at least an hour INTO most likely fire direction...

I did hear that some people were planning on rocking up at Yarraman park in Portland if they needed to...they didnt know if it would be "allowed", but they are doing it anyway, as there are yards and water there...

local showgrounds, footy grounds or race course could be an option then........

Re: Fire Evacuation list [message #1644943 is a reply to message #1644551 ] Mon, 11 January 2010 18:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  EloueraFarm  
Completely Insane
black&white wrote on Mon, 11 January 2010 13:56

bayview wrote on Mon, 11 January 2010 12:17

local showgrounds, footy grounds or race course could be an option then........

Im sure if there is a threat, they wont be arguing over 'allowed or not'.. atleast i hope not!
For us, its cows in the yard, with the sprinkler system going..
generator for pump, hoses over cows and dairy..
i honestly shudder to even think of the thought! .. We have stock spread over 500 acres, sheep, calves, weaners, yearlings, bulls, milking herd, dry cows..

im thinking Yarraman park, the footy reserve near the lagoon would be another good one too Hollie! (atleast water close by)

www.fleyasholsteins.com
Re: Fire Evacuation list [message #1645668 is a reply to message #1644943 ] Tue, 12 January 2010 09:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the footy yards never argued at yea for everyone who brought horses and cattle they welcomed them with open arms. As would any decent person in a crisis

Re: Fire Evacuation list [message #1678385 is a reply to message #1541872 ] Sat, 30 January 2010 07:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  Equivarna  
The forum drove me to drink. Remind me to thank it.
I did do a list for 2007 and 2008.

It rapidly became apparent on Black Saturday that even though I was sitting by the computer for most of the day watching it unfold, I couldn't keep up with people's offers of help. At one stage the offers of accommodation were rolling in faster than I could open the pm's. Whilst I was able to offer a suggestions to a couple of people looking to rehouse their horses, it became quickly apparent that there was a grave risk of sending people out of the fry pan into the fire. There was also the issue of trying to contact those who needed the help at the same time as trying to contact those offering it. Many areas in Black Saturday lost at least one form of communication, some lost all.

So, whilst the concept of the list is good, it is also problematic.

People need to have a clear idea of where they are going to move their horses well before the fire hits. One of the consistent trends in these fires is for the fire to be driven in a SE direction, followed by a change in the afternoon pushing it NE. There is NO safe direction really, to send people.

If you have decided to go, and have left it late, you are probably better off heading for your nearest major stock holding facility. At least there, aid can be given and animals yarded securely. Once there, maybe then put up something asking for temporary assistance. At least the information you get will be current.

I'm happy to put the old list back up, but I genuinely believe that people need to be better planned in the event of an emergency.

If a man says something in the forest, and no woman is there to hear him; is he still wrong?
Re: Fire Evacuation list [message #1767330 is a reply to message #1678385 ] Fri, 26 March 2010 10:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i completly agree phil you explained everything perfectly.
You need to have a plan set into action straight. And def DO NOT LEAVE IT TO LATE. This is how some people lost their lifes last time.
Sometimes a safe option is to just harrow out a paddock or place the horses in the arena if you have one or local stock grounds as phil has said and hope for the best. Fire is a nasty thing but no one can predict how it will go and which way it will go with the winds changing.
Stay safe everyone winter is almost here

Re: Fire Evacuation list [message #2002616 is a reply to message #1678385 ] Fri, 10 September 2010 08:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  bayview  
Equivarna wrote on Sat, 30 January 2010 07:49

I genuinely believe that people need to be better planned in the event of an emergency.

Exactly... And as megsie said - this where people come unstuck... they panic, and not think properly....

I am still happy to offer my paddock to those in need in the South West - But probably for those Cobbobbonee/Mt Eckles type directions, anything affecting Mt Clay, and my paddock is closed...

And whilst I believe my paddock is 99% safe in a fire situation (due to the combined planning of neighbouring landholders as well) there is always that small chance of my property coming under threat....

Re: Fire Evacuation list [message #2082055 is a reply to message #1541872 ] Wed, 17 November 2010 21:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
golister  is currently offline golister
Level 5
The Go List is an online resource to encourage Victorians in high bushfire areas to leave early. Although we have included many publicly listed agistments, the Go List is designed for individuals to volunteer their destinations for horses to encourage people to move them when a high risk day is predicted or to relocate during the bushfire season. The Go List was recognised at the recent 2010 Fire Awareness Awards for community preparation. We are working with veterinarians through AVA to encourage participation. Log on to WWW.thegolist.org.au and follow the link through "Offers of Asssitance" and "Be a Go List Supporter"
Re: Fire Evacuation list [message #2082061 is a reply to message #1541872 ] Wed, 17 November 2010 21:40 Go to previous message
golister  is currently offline golister
Level 5
The Go List is an online resource to encourage Victorians in high bushfire areas to leave early. Although we have included many publicly listed agistments, the Go List is designed for individuals to volunteer their destinations for horses to encourage people to move them when a high risk day is predicted or to relocate during the bushfire season. The Go List was recognised at the recent 2010 Fire Awareness Awards for community preparation. We are working with veterinarians through AVA to encourage participation. Log on to WWW.thegolist.org.au and follow the link through "Offers of Asssitance" and "Be a Go List Supporter"
Previous Topic:Day of rememberance
Next Topic:CFA States games
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Dec 19 09:19:37 EST 2014

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02888 seconds

.:: Home ::.