[Home]       [Forum]       [Event Calendar]       [Forum Birthdays]

Home » Vichorse Forum » General - On Topic » Offset/Twisted Stirrups (oxbows)
Offset/Twisted Stirrups (oxbows) [message #1775320] Tue, 30 March 2010 23:56 Go to next message
  kez155  
Step away from the computer,
On my halfbreed saddle the stirrups/oxbows (I just call them stirrups Very Happy ) give me reeealy sore knees, because of the effort to keep my foot pointed in the right direction.

Has anyone used the twisted or the offset oxbows, do they help elleviate the pressure placed on the knee or are they a bit gimmicky?

I can see the point of the twisted (in theory), but what about the offset ones?

For anyone who hasnt ridden in a fender saddle, some have the tendancy to put your foot on a funny angle, because the fenders are so dam heavy to move/twist (unlike a normal stirrup leather that is easily twisted out), so your toes ended up pointed way too much to the inside (ridiculously so!).
So, from the effort to counteract that - even enough just to have your toes pointed to the front, you end up with veeeery sore knees!

And especially because the times I use this saddle, are generally the times when I know Im going to need to stick my toes out and hang the fark on, it makes it tricky Laughing

Opinions anyone?

ETA - Helps when I put the verb after the object, not the other way round Rolls Eyes

[Updated on: Tue, 30 March 2010 23:59]

You've got two empty halves of coconuts, and you're bangin em together!
Re: Offset/Twisted Stirrups (oxbows) [message #1775801 is a reply to message #1775320 ] Wed, 31 March 2010 10:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  polocrossebabe
Its my party and I'll hoo haa if I want to

kez, is your saddle leather or synthetic. my oh has an ammo and i hate riding in it because the fenders are very stiff but my leather one is so soft and supple. the trick to getting your fenders to sit properly so they wrap around your leg, rather than your leg forcing them around, is to put the saddle on a saddle stand. wet the fenders then twist them around into a riding position then stick a broom pole through the oxbows and allow to dry overnight in that position. if it's leather, wet the fender with a good quality oil. (i use hydrophane). if synthetic, water will do. Very Happy

polocrosse...king of the one-horse sports.
Re: Offset/Twisted Stirrups (oxbows) [message #1775869 is a reply to message #1775801 ] Wed, 31 March 2010 11:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  KikoiraPark  
Unstoppable, ungaggable, unzippable
polocrossebabe wrote on Wed, 31 March 2010 09:55

kez, is your saddle leather or synthetic. my oh has an ammo and i hate riding in it because the fenders are very stiff but my leather one is so soft and supple. the trick to getting your fenders to sit properly so they wrap around your leg, rather than your leg forcing them around, is to put the saddle on a saddle stand. wet the fenders then twist them around into a riding position then stick a broom pole through the oxbows and allow to dry overnight in that position. if it's leather, wet the fender with a good quality oil. (i use hydrophane). if synthetic, water will do. Very Happy

Nod Yep what she said Very Happy
Re: Offset/Twisted Stirrups (oxbows) [message #1776199 is a reply to message #1775869 ] Wed, 31 March 2010 13:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  Try Harder  is currently offline Try Harder  
Level 2
I had the same problem with my western saddle.
I purchased a pair of 'Cashel EZ Knees' last time I was in the U.S. and they are perfect.
http://www.cashelcompany.com/ProductDetails.aspx?C=5&SC= 22&ProductID=8999
I'm sure they would do mail order?

One of the real secrets of happiness is to be content with what you have.
Re: Offset/Twisted Stirrups (oxbows) [message #1776213 is a reply to message #1775801 ] Wed, 31 March 2010 14:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  kez155  

Nah its leather. But the leather is so bloody THICK! Its nicely oilded etc, but I hadnt thought of oiling it and keeping the fenders twisted in the right spot over night. If oil doesnt work Ill drown the leather and let it dry twisted. Thanks, its a grand idea Very Happy

Glad I asked if those things were worth it! Laughing
Smile

[Updated on: Wed, 31 March 2010 14:05]

Re: Offset/Twisted Stirrups (oxbows) [message #1776459 is a reply to message #1776213 ] Wed, 31 March 2010 16:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  polocrossebabe
Its my party and I'll hoo haa if I want to

kez155 wrote on Wed, 31 March 2010 13:00

Nah its leather. But the leather is so bloody THICK! Its nicely oilded etc, but I hadnt thought of oiling it and keeping the fenders twisted in the right spot over night. If oil doesnt work Ill drown the leather and let it dry twisted. Thanks, its a grand idea Very Happy

Smile

i used almost a whole can of hydrophane on my saddle when i bought it. and it's so soft now. i love my fender. it's my best friend, next to my horse. Very Happy

polocrosse...king of the one-horse sports.
Re: Offset/Twisted Stirrups (oxbows) [message #1776574 is a reply to message #1776459 ] Wed, 31 March 2010 17:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  kez155  
polocrossebabe wrote on Wed, 31 March 2010 15:08

kez155 wrote on Wed, 31 March 2010 13:00

Smile

i used almost a whole can of hydrophane on my saddle when i bought it. and it's so soft now. i love my fender. it's my best friend, next to my horse. Very Happy

Yeh mine is supple etc - but the leather is way thick, and my knees very pathetic Embarassed

I rode in an RM Halfbreed saddle the other day - niiiiiiiiiiiice.

Re: Offset/Twisted Stirrups (oxbows) [message #1778905 is a reply to message #1775320 ] Thu, 01 April 2010 21:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lovclydes  is currently offline lovclydes  
Level 5
friend visited this weekend with hers for me to try they look a little odd but was impressed with them after going for a ride good on my knees and really easy to put your foot into and find again if you drop a stirrup and they had a wide base for your foot to sit on and I found that comfortable the ones she had were called Twisted stockman stirrup's they are made of Aluminum I used my oxbow's today and really noticed the difference so bought a pair today from Kingston horse supplies $59.95 + postage $15.40
hope that helps
Re: Offset/Twisted Stirrups (oxbows) [message #1779677 is a reply to message #1778905 ] Fri, 02 April 2010 13:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  MYRADAR  is currently offline MYRADAR  
Completely Insane
im guessing should work the same as a western saddle.. you twist them around to the correct angle you want.. and then you hold by placing a broom stick thru and get that so it holds them in that position.. shouldnt take long before leather takes shape..would give it a light oil when you first do it.. hope im making sense!
do this everytime you put your saddle away
Re: Offset/Twisted Stirrups (oxbows) [message #1779681 is a reply to message #1779677 ] Fri, 02 April 2010 13:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  kez155  
MYRADAR wrote on Fri, 02 April 2010 12:08

im guessing should work the same as a western saddle.. you twist them around to the correct angle you want.. and then you hold by placing a broom stick thru and get that so it holds them in that position.. shouldnt take long before leather takes shape..would give it a light oil when you first do it.. hope im making sense!
do this everytime you put your saddle away

Yep, Im about to go do it now!
I can forsee there will be a ''I just got hit in the eye with a sling shotting broom'' post shortly Embarassed Cool

Re: Offset/Twisted Stirrups (oxbows) [message #1779831 is a reply to message #1779681 ] Fri, 02 April 2010 15:28 Go to previous message
  MYRADAR  is currently offline MYRADAR  
Completely Insane
hahah. youll be fine.. usually just need something to help it hold it in place..
Previous Topic:Horse breakers who have u used
Next Topic:Fat Horse
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Oct 24 22:17:59 EST 2014

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01720 seconds

.:: Home ::.