[Home]       [Forum]       [Event Calendar]       [Forum Birthdays]

Home » Vichorse Forum » General - On Topic » Slowing hay consumption
Slowing hay consumption [message #1750468] Mon, 15 March 2010 21:18 Go to next message
  lilimary  is currently offline lilimary
Level 1
Im on the look for a way to slow down my horse hay consumption. .
Mainly to keep him occupied longer Smile

Do you guys have any tricks?

I've done my homework on google and here's what I found :
1/ the "slow down hay feeder" on google (here's the link cause a pic speaks better than my frenchish english Razz http://www.slowdownhayfeeder.com/content/view/12/26/)
It seems to be more for stables than paddocks though...

2/ hay net with tiny holes http://www.doversaddlery.com/product.asp?pn=X1-27286

Werribee & District Riding Club Inc. (WDRC):
http://sites.google.com/site/werribeedrc/

En route pour la joie!
Re: Slowing hay consumption [message #1750513 is a reply to message #1750468 ] Mon, 15 March 2010 21:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  Neisje  is currently offline Neisje  
Out of my way, I am in the midst of a hoo haa monologue
Hay nets hung so they swing a bit so its harder for them to eat. Or packed into the nets really tightly, or 2 hay nets again so its harder to get it out.

Live your life in such a way that when your feet hit the floor in the morning, Satan shudders & says...
'Oh ****...she's awake!!'
Re: Slowing hay consumption [message #1750559 is a reply to message #1750468 ] Mon, 15 March 2010 22:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  MandyE  
Out of my way, I am in the midst of a hoo haa monologue
There are nets availabe in the US which cover an entire small bale. I am going over there in a few weeks and will be bringing some back with me, very excited about it!

http://www.hoofcareunltd.com/haynet.htm

http://www.slowfeeding.com/

See the above link, you can build the slow feeders for paddock use as well.

[Updated on: Mon, 15 March 2010 22:15]

index.php?t=getfile&id=582637&private=0

Manetheren Performance Horses and Dilute Warmbloods

Happy Hooves Natural Hoofcare - Barefoot Performance Trimming and Lameness Consultant
Diploma Equine Soundness 2010
Re: Slowing hay consumption [message #1750577 is a reply to message #1750468 ] Mon, 15 March 2010 22:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  storm horse  is currently offline storm horse  
Level 1 - Advanced
http://www.naturalhorseworld.com/ShopMore.htm
Re: Slowing hay consumption [message #1750581 is a reply to message #1750468 ] Mon, 15 March 2010 22:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  Wyndara  
Troppo. Loco. Round the twist.
Or this one from the US:
http://www.thinaircanvas.com/nibblenet/nibblenetframe.htm

Re: Slowing hay consumption [message #1750615 is a reply to message #1750468 ] Mon, 15 March 2010 22:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  freddie1  is currently offline freddie1  
Level 1
You can get the small holed haynets from the Vet Shed in Queensland posted for about $25.00 all up. I have several & it takes ages for the horses to eat their hay.
I also made some "hay pillows" from plastic garden trellis (5m for $20.00 made 4 of them)...join the sides up with electrical ties & place a biscuit of hay in & tie off with baling twine. Just place them in the paddock & 3 hours later they've just about got it all out. It's fun watching their tactics in trying to eat it all! The above options are so much cheaper than the overseas ones.
Re: Slowing hay consumption [message #1750640 is a reply to message #1750468 ] Mon, 15 March 2010 22:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  Kasandy  
Completely Insane
I like the idea of the bucket type slow down hay feeder.

Any nets that are hung up are not so good. The horse should be eating with its head down, preferably eating from the ground.

The big nets around a bale of hay..what happens when their is not much hay in it ??
Re: Slowing hay consumption [message #1750651 is a reply to message #1750615 ] Mon, 15 March 2010 23:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Level 1
Shocked Thanks for all the links guys! It really helps Smile

freddie1 wrote on Mon, 15 March 2010 22:43

I also made some "hay pillows" from plastic garden trellis (5m for $20.00 made 4 of them)...join the sides up with electrical ties & place a biscuit of hay in & tie off with baling twine. Just place them in the paddock & 3 hours later they've just about got it all out. It's fun watching their tactics in trying to eat it all! The above options are so much cheaper than the overseas ones.

I like the idea of the hay pillow Freddie - a toy that gives horsey food. Reckon he'd love it Very Happy
Any chance you have a picture? Surprised

En route pour la joie!
Re: Slowing hay consumption [message #1750717 is a reply to message #1750577 ] Tue, 16 March 2010 02:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  Try Harder  is currently offline Try Harder  
Level 2
storm horse wrote on Mon, 15 March 2010 22:19

http://www.naturalhorseworld.com/ShopMore.htm

Thank you for the link storm horse - what an interesting site, so much to read about - I bought one of the bale nets to try out and see how it goes. Very Happy
Thanks again

One of the real secrets of happiness is to be content with what you have.
Re: Slowing hay consumption [message #1750721 is a reply to message #1750468 ] Tue, 16 March 2010 03:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  Shell  is currently offline Shell  
Level 1 - Advanced

Yeh the small holed hay nets do a good job......

I would be worried about limiting the amount of bulk horses are getting as we have our horses eat as much as they want - sure we go through sooooooooooooo much hay (about 6 round bales a week), but its worth it as they all look a million bucks and dont get sand from snuffling around in the dirt because they finished their hay.

If you are worried about calorie consumption - stuff the haynets with straw (that has lower calories in most cases - SOME straw is as good as the hay protein wise.... so be careful there!)....

It works out cheaper to feed a heap more hay and cut back on hard feeds Smile

Will check out some of those other sites..... Smile

Reigate Cleveland Bay & Sporthorse Stud
http://www.reigatestud.com

Winged Horse Productions
http://www.wingedhorseproductions.com
Re: Slowing hay consumption [message #1750771 is a reply to message #1750721 ] Tue, 16 March 2010 07:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  blackorlando  is currently offline blackorlando  
Unstoppable, ungaggable, unzippable
You can get the small holed haynets from Horseland too. Every time I get one the store owner frowns at me and says "they're for Alpaca's you know". They only fit one or two biscuits in them but that lasts a while anyway 'cos it takes so long to get it out Very Happy
Re: Slowing hay consumption [message #1750876 is a reply to message #1750721 ] Tue, 16 March 2010 09:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Level 2
Shell wrote on Tue, 16 March 2010 03:03

Yeh the small holed hay nets do a good job......

I would be worried about limiting the amount of bulk horses are getting as we have our horses eat as much as they want - sure we go through sooooooooooooo much hay (about 6 round bales a week), but its worth it as they all look a million bucks and dont get sand from snuffling around in the dirt because they finished their hay.

If you are worried about calorie consumption - stuff the haynets with straw (that has lower calories in most cases - SOME straw is as good as the hay protein wise.... so be careful there!)....

It works out cheaper to feed a heap more hay and cut back on hard feeds Smile

Will check out some of those other sites..... Smile

My problem is getting them to eat slower when I feed them, they have and get set meals, and there are only 2 of them, but they tend to eat too fast and not chew properly. They have access to 15 acres of natural grasses as well but they seem to 'compete' when eating even though I feed them in separate feeders and separate hay piles.
Am looking forward to trying out the BIG hay net with the LITTLE holes - knowing my lot they will probably run around it snorting at it Laughing

Re: Slowing hay consumption [message #1751358 is a reply to message #1750651 ] Tue, 16 March 2010 13:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Level 1
I will post a picture of the hay pillows tonight after work.
Re: Slowing hay consumption [message #1751475 is a reply to message #1750651 ] Tue, 16 March 2010 14:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  Margie  
Level 1 - Advanced
lilimary wrote on Mon, 15 March 2010 23:00

I like the idea of the hay pillow Freddie - a toy that gives horsey food. Reckon he'd love it Very Happy

I went to a great deal of trouble to make a hay pillow for my horse. It took him about ten minutes to put his foot on it, grab hold of the hay (mesh included) and pull. He tore it completely in half Mad . I mended it, filled it up, he stuck his foot on it and tore it again Evil or Very Mad . I have now orderd one of the slow feeder nets from Natural Horseworld which will hopefully be more indestructable Rolls Eyes
Re: Slowing hay consumption [message #1751504 is a reply to message #1751475 ] Tue, 16 March 2010 15:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Level 2
Margie wrote on Tue, 16 March 2010 14:55

lilimary wrote on Mon, 15 March 2010 23:00

I went to a great deal of trouble to make a hay pillow for my horse. It took him about ten minutes to put his foot on it, grab hold of the hay (mesh included) and pull. He tore it completely in half Mad . I mended it, filled it up, he stuck his foot on it and tore it again Evil or Very Mad . I have now orderd one of the slow feeder nets from Natural Horseworld which will hopefully be more indestructable Rolls Eyes

ME TOO !!!
I bet they will wonder where the influx of orders are coming from Laughing

Re: Slowing hay consumption [message #1751515 is a reply to message #1750468 ] Tue, 16 March 2010 15:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  LorrieHa  is currently offline LorrieHa
Level 1 - Advanced
I make my own small holed haynets using crayfish netting twine - you lose alot less hay too - keeps them busy for hours too and again if you want the challenge to be harder you can dangle them so it is harder for them to get a grip and the other bonus is that they can't stick their hooves into the holes cos they are too small. Very Happy Shocked Confused Cool
Re: Slowing hay consumption [message #1751939 is a reply to message #1750468 ] Tue, 16 March 2010 18:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Level 1
For those interested in the "hay pillows", here are some pics.
A 20m $20 roll of plastic garden trellis made me 4 "hay pillows". I secured the edges with plastic electrical ties & trimmed them off. The open end I thread through with baling twine to close it up. It's easy to soak your hay in the pillows as well if your horse gets soaked hay. Don't be surprised if your empty pillows don't end up where you placed them. Mine have lasted about 8 weeks so far. index.php?t=getfile&id=327244&private=0index.php?t=getfile&id=327249&private=0index.php?t=getfile&id=327250&private=0index.php?t=getfile&id=327254&private=0index.php?t=getfile&id=327256&private=0

Re: Slowing hay consumption [message #1751953 is a reply to message #1751939 ] Tue, 16 March 2010 18:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Level 1
Oh, and just a plug....that's Sammy's lovely hay in the pillows too!!!
Re: Slowing hay consumption [message #1752297 is a reply to message #1750468 ] Tue, 16 March 2010 21:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  eatmeimadanish  is currently offline eatmeimadanish  
Level 2
those hay pillows are sweet!!!!
Re: Slowing hay consumption [message #1752311 is a reply to message #1750640 ] Tue, 16 March 2010 21:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  Holted  is currently offline Holted  
This computer will self destruct in 10 posts
Kasandy wrote on Mon, 15 March 2010 22:57

Any nets that are hung up are not so good. The horse should be eating with its head down, preferably eating from the ground.

The big nets around a bale of hay..what happens when their is not much hay in it ??

I agree, horses should eat at ground level with their neck in that position, otherwise it can cause all sorts of issues including colic and digestional, etc.

The hay pillows looks pretty good, but won't the horses be eating dirt as they are on the ground? Although I think the OP's paddock has some pasture, lucky biatch Laughing

My girl has free access to a grass round bale in a feeder, she can eat as much hay as she wants, she gets too fat, and her hard feed (pellets, not vits) gets cut down Smile

Re: Slowing hay consumption [message #1752343 is a reply to message #1752311 ] Tue, 16 March 2010 22:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Level 1
If the ground is really dusty, I tie / attach the pillows to the base of tree so that they are still eating pretty much at ground level.

I think the hay pillows are pretty nifty too & they've worked a treat!!!
Re: Slowing hay consumption [message #1752457 is a reply to message #1752343 ] Tue, 16 March 2010 23:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  fluffy1  
Troppo. Loco. Round the twist.
these are great... makes my horse work hard at picking at the net Laughing
http://www.barnstormers.co.uk/acatalog/info_1022s.html
Re: Slowing hay consumption [message #1752491 is a reply to message #1750468 ] Wed, 17 March 2010 00:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Level 1
I love love love the hay pillow!

Question is : will I be able to build one??? Rolls Eyes Rolls Eyes

I think I will sweet talk the male housemates and told them how lost I am etc. Always works a treat Razz

Will also order the small hole hay net. I can hung them really close to the floor no pb Very Happy

En route pour la joie!
Re: Slowing hay consumption [message #1763893 is a reply to message #1751504 ] Wed, 24 March 2010 13:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Level 1
Try Harder wrote on Tue, 16 March 2010 15:07

ME TOO !!!

I just received this "We had such a huge response to the slow feeder haynets that stock ran out in the first couple of days. " Laughing ups Embarassed Rolls Eyes Laughing

En route pour la joie!
Re: Slowing hay consumption [message #1764038 is a reply to message #1763893 ] Wed, 24 March 2010 14:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  Margie  
Level 1 - Advanced
lilimary wrote on Wed, 24 March 2010 13:03

ME TOO !!!

I just received this "We had such a huge response to the slow feeder haynets that stock ran out in the first couple of days. " Laughing ups Embarassed Rolls Eyes Laughing

I received the same message a few days ago but got a new one today to say that my haynet is in the post. I can't wait to try it out. Smile
Re: Slowing hay consumption [message #1764111 is a reply to message #1764038 ] Wed, 24 March 2010 14:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Level 2
Margie wrote on Wed, 24 March 2010 14:16

lilimary wrote on Wed, 24 March 2010 13:03

ME TOO !!!

I received the same message a few days ago but got a new one today to say that my haynet is in the post. I can't wait to try it out. Smile

Got the same message too .... mines in the 'snail mail' - not here yet.

Re: Slowing hay consumption [message #1782606 is a reply to message #1750640 ] Sun, 04 April 2010 14:35 Go to previous message
Level 2
Kasandy wrote on Mon, 15 March 2010 22:57

Finally got my BIG haynet Very Happy - fits a whole small bale and I could probably squeeze a few more biscuits in too. The one pictured has a bale of oaten hay in it -
This has worked really well in slowing down their eating and they just pop back and forth all day for a nibble.
Well worth the purchase, and the waitindex.php?t=getfile&id=334107&private=0index.php?t=getfile&id=334108&private=0index.php?t=getfile&id=334109&private=0.
Kasandy, as the hay diminishes I just raise the haynet. Very Happy

Previous Topic:feed stores... any open today
Next Topic:Horses at Leigh Creek/Warrenheip
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Sep 20 03:52:05 EST 2014

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02042 seconds

.:: Home ::.