[Home]       [Forum]       [Event Calendar]       [Forum Birthdays]

Home » Vichorse Forum » General - On Topic » help needed! PLEASE HELP!
help needed! PLEASE HELP! [message #1960490] Thu, 05 August 2010 15:15 Go to next message
maidavale  is currently offline maidavale  
Level 5
hey all, i am new to the fourm as i am new to vic! i am half way into writing an essea for school and i would just like some other peoples thorts on the topic in question..

what do you think the major challanges that you think that the asutralian equestrian industry will face in the next 10years??

any opions are welcome! just im stuck! lol Very Happy
Re: help needed! PLEASE HELP! [message #1960501 is a reply to message #1960490 ] Thu, 05 August 2010 15:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  Myff  
Step away from the computer,
Compulsory microchipping, registering every horse/horse owner like we do for cats and dogs, maybe another E.I /Hendra outbreak, Drought, Drugs in Competition.

If at first you do succeed, try not to look astonished...
Re: help needed! PLEASE HELP! [message #1960585 is a reply to message #1960501 ] Thu, 05 August 2010 16:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  goldenarab
Level 1
like the idea of complusary micro chipping.. as this will them make horse owners accountable.
The horse owner who do the right thing will not have to worry at all. The ones that do the wrong thing. Starving, dumping etc... Also if your horse gets out it will make the ranger. (animal management officer)'s job a lot easier to know where it came from
Re: help needed! PLEASE HELP! [message #1960642 is a reply to message #1960585 ] Thu, 05 August 2010 16:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  Maddy  is currently offline Maddy  
Level 1 - Advanced
goldenarab wrote on Thu, 05 August 2010 16:13

like the idea of complusary micro chipping.. as this will them make horse owners accountable.
The horse owner who do the right thing will not have to worry at all. The ones that do the wrong thing. Starving, dumping etc... Also if your horse gets out it will make the ranger. (animal management officer)'s job a lot easier to know where it came from

Only responsible owners will micro-chip in the first place. Back yard breeders will still allow for the irresponsible owner to obtain horses who won't bother to micro-chip and will still get away with dumping and starving.
Same with registration.
Re: help needed! PLEASE HELP! [message #1960648 is a reply to message #1960642 ] Thu, 05 August 2010 16:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  cheveauxpark  
The forum drove me to drink. Remind me to thank it.
Maddy wrote on Thu, 05 August 2010 16:46

Only responsible owners will micro-chip in the first place. Back yard breeders will still allow for the irresponsible owner to obtain horses who won't bother to micro-chip and will still get away with dumping and starving.
Same with registration.

I am a registered breeder with a few societies...
I already register my horses..
I am required to DNA them...
I am required to brand them...
why should I Microchip them too???????????

can anyone fathom at this time the $ spent already to do this?

Re: help needed! PLEASE HELP! [message #1960680 is a reply to message #1960648 ] Thu, 05 August 2010 17:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  Maddy  is currently offline Maddy  
Level 1 - Advanced
cheveauxpark wrote on Thu, 05 August 2010 16:49

Maddy wrote on Thu, 05 August 2010 16:46

Same with registration.

Didn't mean to offend CP Embarassed I was talking about non-registered breeders of course - I understand the hoops registered breeders have to jump through.
Re: help needed! PLEASE HELP! [message #1960697 is a reply to message #1960648 ] Thu, 05 August 2010 17:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  Neisje  is currently offline Neisje  
Out of my way, I am in the midst of a hoo haa monologue
cheveauxpark wrote on Thu, 05 August 2010 16:49

Well we already have to microchip we have no choice (and its been that way for years) so yeah a fee from the Society for the chips and then the cost of getting a vet out to chip foals each year, so yes it does get expensive. But I still think its a good idea to microchip.

Live your life in such a way that when your feet hit the floor in the morning, Satan shudders & says...
'Oh ****...she's awake!!'
Re: help needed! PLEASE HELP! [message #1960829 is a reply to message #1960490 ] Thu, 05 August 2010 18:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  cheveauxpark  
The forum drove me to drink. Remind me to thank it.
Tis OK Maddy..
its not you just the idea does piss me off..
I'd hate to think anyone thought I wasnt responsible just cos I dont want to micro chip.
I think I personally spend enough..on identifying my horses properly and legally with ANY society they are reg as.

As breeders..
We register to be able to show/breed keep the breed pure..
we DNA to prove parentage and prove the horse is who he is..
we brand so its visible/identifiable and comply with regos to be identifiable at a glance..
next we'll be expected to carry a chip reader everywhere to prove to everyone who asks if its registered.. Embarassed
I consider myself responsible I've done everything I am required to do and more..but I dont wish to micro chip. Confused
Not unless someone wants to pay for it for me..and even then I dont consider it a must.. Rolls Eyes

I'm definatly ok with non BREED reg breeders to do this via chip but dont penalise those who DO do the right thing already.

Same as any dog thats picked up anywhere..it could be sold on...given away..wont make a huge differance unless the council want even MORE $ off you.
When the council or the DPI feels like adding any further levis..for this or that...your stuffed then cos your all on a data base....you will give them more control than you think!

Re: help needed! PLEASE HELP! [message #1960868 is a reply to message #1960490 ] Thu, 05 August 2010 19:03 Go to previous message
  flutter_bye88  
Stark, Raving Bonkers

One issue that's bound to come up again will be "Bio-Security". The EI breakout really highlighted a lot of issues.
Previous Topic:Sending your babies to the trainers..
Next Topic:Can I boil barley, linseed and white millet together
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Nov 28 17:47:54 EST 2014

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01574 seconds
.:: Home ::.