[Home]       [Forum]       [Event Calendar]       [Forum Birthdays]

Home » Vichorse Forum » Fires » Summer 2010-2011
Summer 2010-2011 [message #1964299] Sun, 08 August 2010 19:12 Go to next message
  jazir1787  
Out of my way, I am in the midst of a hoo haa monologue
The weather is slowly getting warmer, summer hasn't hit yet but that should make it a good time to start fire planning.

so who has a fire preparation kit and plan in place? what do you have in your kit? do you have a list of contacts ready? are you on someone else's list?

do we need a new list for this year? any way to formalise it and arrange it by region?

dont leave it too late, too many here know this the hard way Sad

~ My treasures do not clink together and glitter...
...they gleam in the sun and neigh in the night ~

RIP Jazzy <3
Re: Summer 2010-2011 [message #1964321 is a reply to message #1964299 ] Sun, 08 August 2010 19:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  wombat07  
Unstoppable, ungaggable, unzippable
I wouldn't say I learnt the hard way, we had plans and implemented where we could. On a day like like Black Sat there was no way many of them were going to be effective.

But I agree plan now.

Politeness, n. The most acceptable hypocrisy
Re: Summer 2010-2011 [message #1964452 is a reply to message #1964321 ] Sun, 08 August 2010 21:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  jazir1787  
yeah i know alot of people were prepared, it was a horrid experience, even watching from a distance Sad

RIP Jazzy <3
Re: Summer 2010-2011 [message #1964703 is a reply to message #1964321 ] Mon, 09 August 2010 08:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  megsie86  is currently offline megsie86  
Its my party and I'll hoo haa if I want to
wombat07 wrote on Sun, 08 August 2010 19:22

I wouldn't say I learnt the hard way, we had plans and implemented where we could. On a day like like Black Sat there was no way many of them were going to be effective.

But I agree plan now.

I aggree we had a plan as well and nothing was going to stop this fire so i dont think it mattered whether we had a plan or not it didnt help in the end anyways. But ur right start getting it out and ready for this up and comming fire season

https://www.facebook.com/pages/SM-Notley-Excavations/5117127 55547535

www.korunnavalleystation.webs.com

'Allegra' born 23/12/10 beautiful chestnut filly Smile
Re: Summer 2010-2011 [message #1964706 is a reply to message #1964299 ] Mon, 09 August 2010 08:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  nofrillssnoopy  
Stark, Raving Bonkers
Not only prepareing your house - those who can't float load thier horse... start training NOW.....

I can't stand the last minute panic with things like that.

The wind of heaven is that which blows between a horses ears
Re: Summer 2010-2011 [message #1964752 is a reply to message #1964706 ] Mon, 09 August 2010 09:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  jazir1787  
nofrillssnoopy wrote on Mon, 09 August 2010 08:29

Not only prepareing your house - those who can't float load thier horse... start training NOW.....

I can't stand the last minute panic with things like that.

yup, we had a grass fire (Junee) the year before the big ones and had 3 2yo TB fillies that had never been on a side load truck before, and it was the only transport we had left at the time (roads were closed, they werent letting the floats back in and i dont think theyd floated anyway, just trucked)

we had about 30 horses to get out (riding horses, broodmares, foals, yearlings fillies, colts), luckily we had a fair bit of warning and our plan went flawlessly, with the exception of the couple of dumbasses that wouldnt load!

in the end we had to leave them on the sand arena with the water truck and a trough.

luckily the place didnt burn

RIP Jazzy <3
Re: Summer 2010-2011 [message #1966690 is a reply to message #1964299 ] Tue, 10 August 2010 17:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  bayview  
I wouldn't have considererd the start of winter to be too early to start preparing....

We were burnt out in 2006... and even on a 'normal' bush fire day, things may alter your plan - so have several 'options' especially if there is only one way out....

Things to consider when lanning for a fire - how do you cope under stress??? If you are a mess, then I suggest you make plans to relocate animals the night before....

And this one - tell as many people as you can - DO NOT EXPECT A FIRE TRUCK.... there were 50, yes FIFTY fire trucks within a 3km radius of my place - and I saw ONE... after the front went through.....

ALso - consider whether or not you or your partner are volunteers... what if you are called elsewhere, and a fire starts near home??? Even though both my partner and I are volunteers in teh CFA, WE now have a greater responsibility to our stock... During our fires, my OH was on a truck... Fighting a fire that was on our property - he watched teh fire destroy most of our fences, and if it wasn't for the truck driver disobeying an order, we probably would have lost our stock also.... Because of this, I will NOT let him on a truck to fight a fire locally again....

What else can I throw out there..

No matter how prepared you are, you will ALWAYS find something won't go to plan....

Wheelie bins make excellent water storage for when you loose power...

Know where buckets are kept - and what other things are around that hold water - baths, laundry & kitchen sinks, boxes & tubs..

Mops are excellent also... Towels along windows and doors

Leads, collars, dog/cat crates, bird cages (and a cover) hard feeds ready to go incase you need to relocate horses, floats PACKED the night before with anything you may need....

I will stay at home to defend my property... Because I KNOW I am prepared both mentally and physically enough to protect my home... and my animals...

My paddocks will be kept as short as possible, to reduce fuel loads, and as a reslut i will have a very wide fire break around my house, my main danger will be ember attack...

We are very lucky that there is only one direction that a fire will come from, and two roads/directions out...

Portable radios, generators, and all my above mentioned items will be set out the night before, if possible...

I am also my own boss... ANY danger day, and i will be at home....

I think I have covered most things, and hopefully something I have waffled on about remionds someone that they need to look at certain aspects.....

another - mesh across vents under houses, and along guttering - dispoable nappies in the down pipes, and a full gutter also....

"I'm not Heartless, I just view the world different to you..."

"The foxes we shoot, save the wildlife you love"
Re: Summer 2010-2011 [message #1966787 is a reply to message #1966690 ] Tue, 10 August 2010 18:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  jazir1787  
i like the garbo bin idea!

im good under pressure, but the day we had fires was the hottest day i can remember in my entire life

the heat was on the wind, from the sky, from the ground, we were running around moving stock in "fire safe" clothing (well, jeans boots and shirts, not the best but better then shorts and thongs) and it was draining!

dont forget to keep yourself hydrated! and look out for dehydration in kids, the elderly (grandma was home the day we had fires) and the animals you may lock up

and a first aid kit - even if there's no fire damaged nervous animals can injure themselves

and re power - we lost power and phones ages before the fire got close, the main CB in the house became useless and we relied on the hand helds. also a phone deadspot

we were/are on mains water, but id recommend people on tank water to get a petrol fuelled pump or generator

RIP Jazzy <3
Re: Summer 2010-2011 [message #1967677 is a reply to message #1966787 ] Wed, 11 August 2010 13:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  bayview  
jazir1787 wrote on Tue, 10 August 2010 18:13

i like the garbo bin idea!

im good under pressure, but the day we had fires was the hottest day i can remember in my entire life

the heat was on the wind, from the sky, from the ground, we were running around moving stock in "fire safe" clothing (well, jeans boots and shirts, not the best but better then shorts and thongs) and it was draining!

dont forget to keep yourself hydrated! and look out for dehydration in kids, the elderly (grandma was home the day we had fires) and the animals you may lock up

and a first aid kit - even if there's no fire damaged nervous animals can injure themselves

and re power - we lost power and phones ages before the fire got close, the main CB in the house became useless and we relied on the hand helds. also a phone deadspot

we were/are on mains water, but id recommend people on tank water to get a petrol fuelled pump or generator

Remember mains can fail too....

And regarding genorators... make sure they are powerful enough to run your pump.... and maybe even a fridge and freezer too.. at least then you can save some food too.... Our fires went for a week.. so if infracture is burnt.. you may be without power for days..... and nothing is worse then having nothing to keep food cold..... although at home it would probably be to ensure that the rum didn't get hot Rolls Eyes

On top if water \, I have everything packed as if we were leaving for camping - everything that would be required if we were in the middle of nowhere with out power...

"I'm not Heartless, I just view the world different to you..."

"The foxes we shoot, save the wildlife you love"
Re: Summer 2010-2011 [message #1968664 is a reply to message #1967677 ] Thu, 12 August 2010 08:22 Go to previous message
  born2ride_02  is currently offline born2ride_02  
Step away from the computer,

We were in Kilmore East where the fires began, and I must say we were not prepared for it at all. We had to evacuate to a friends house with horses, but luckily enough our property wasn't touched.

Since then we've cleaned out our gutters, cut down 2 big trees and got rid of a big branch off a gum tree that were extremely close to the house, organised a very good safety evacuation plan, and have got 2 old rubbish bins and filled them up with water with buckets near by. We also have a battery radio where we can listen for fire updates if we loose power.

We have also installed roof sprinklers, as this was the only thing that saved my Uncles house in Wandong where they lost everything but their house. Have also installed a water pump that will pump from our 2 large tanks.

Smile

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n103/Pony-SJ-0900/warnockoliver.gif

Roll up your sleeve and donate blood. One donation saves 3 lives. I've saved 30 lives!
Previous Topic:Black Saturday Tribute - very emotional
Next Topic:Day of rememberance
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Oct 26 12:03:09 EST 2014

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02840 seconds

.:: Home ::.