[Home]       [Forum]       [Event Calendar]       [Forum Birthdays]

Home » Vichorse Forum » Fires » ARE YOU FIRE-READY?
ARE YOU FIRE-READY? [message #2070526] Mon, 08 November 2010 11:25 Go to next message
  Breedersales  is currently offline Breedersales  
Level 2
I've just finished my blog, and included all the links to the latest websites, online tools and Apps Very Happy http://www.breedersales.com/About/Blog/ARE-YOU-FIRE-READY.ht ml Have a safe summer everyone Smile
Re: ARE YOU FIRE-READY? [message #2073300 is a reply to message #2070526 ] Wed, 10 November 2010 18:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  Cold Creek  
Unstoppable, ungaggable, unzippable
Bethanga CFA are trying to get ready..had a road side hazard reduction burn on last Sat & Sun...but it didn't take hold...too green and wet..but the darn grass is shoulder high Sad the traffic out here is huge, now the Hume Dam is 100%.

[Updated on: Wed, 10 November 2010 18:28]

Re: ARE YOU FIRE-READY? [message #2073878 is a reply to message #2073300 ] Thu, 11 November 2010 09:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  jazir1787  
Out of my way, I am in the midst of a hoo haa monologue
those morons that burned out that car on Jo's road not long ago had me bloody nervous, so glad it was when there was a foot of water across the paddocks - anyother year the grass would have drying out by then!

going to get stuck into my riding club soon about organising some emergency contact details

~ My treasures do not clink together and glitter...
...they gleam in the sun and neigh in the night ~

RIP Jazzy <3
Re: ARE YOU FIRE-READY? [message #2074427 is a reply to message #2073300 ] Thu, 11 November 2010 16:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  bayview  
Cold Creek wrote on Wed, 10 November 2010 18:16

Bethanga CFA are trying to get ready..had a road side hazard reduction burn on last Sat & Sun...but it didn't take hold...too green and wet..but the darn grass is shoulder high Sad the traffic out here is huge, now the Hume Dam is 100%.

At least they tried.... Our council had a small article about road sides in the local paper.... They are waiting for the grass to dry out before they decide what they are planning on doing about it.....

It took a 'Hay for Sale' sign to get the grass slashed at the entrance to town.... Rolls Eyes

"I'm not Heartless, I just view the world different to you..."

"The foxes we shoot, save the wildlife you love"
Re: ARE YOU FIRE-READY? [message #2075258 is a reply to message #2074427 ] Fri, 12 November 2010 09:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  Breedersales  is currently offline Breedersales  
Level 2
I guess the benefit of living in the Murrindindi Shire (Kinglake) is that they're very busy cleaning up... but then again, they never stopped after Black Saturday!
Re: ARE YOU FIRE-READY? [message #2076047 is a reply to message #2075258 ] Fri, 12 November 2010 18:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  Cold Creek  
Breedersales wrote on Fri, 12 November 2010 09:09

I guess the benefit of living in the Murrindindi Shire (Kinglake) is that they're very busy cleaning up... but then again, they never stopped after Black Saturday!

Your shire is right on the ball B-sales..it's just so sad that other Shires have not taken note and acted..the forecast here is for a green summer, but what about next year ? Our place is right in a Lightening Alley, before, when the Dam was pert near empty is was very common to see trees burning out in the Lake (due to strikes).
Re: ARE YOU FIRE-READY? [message #2078948 is a reply to message #2076047 ] Mon, 15 November 2010 09:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  jazir1787  
Cold Creek wrote on Fri, 12 November 2010 18:09

when the Dam was pert near empty is was very common to see trees burning out in the Lake (due to strikes).

wow that would be a sight to see!

Jo's windmall caught a bit of lightning one day when i was out feeding up, glad i wasnt on the arena at the time Neutral

fleur has been doing her part to get fire ready, the grass in her paddock is lovely and short! Razz

RIP Jazzy <3
Re: ARE YOU FIRE-READY? [message #2079587 is a reply to message #2078948 ] Mon, 15 November 2010 19:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  Cold Creek  
jazir1787 wrote on Mon, 15 November 2010 09:06

Cold Creek wrote on Fri, 12 November 2010 18:09

when the Dam was pert near empty is was very common to see trees burning out in the Lake (due to strikes).

wow that would be a sight to see!

Jo's windmall caught a bit of lightning one day when i was out feeding up, glad i wasnt on the arena at the time Neutral

fleur has been doing her part to get fire ready, the grass in her paddock is lovely and short! Razz

Poor Fleur Laughing destined to be a jenny craig lock up Smile I do have some pics of dead trees on fire but they just look like a red blur....when it happens, I always call the local fire capitan, he comes over and maps and reports...just so people driving thru don't report or panic, the dead trees on the water sometimes burn for days !

jo
Re: ARE YOU FIRE-READY? [message #2088940 is a reply to message #2070526 ] Tue, 23 November 2010 20:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  Viki1  
Level 1 - Advanced
So what are some peoples tips to make the decision to leave at the earliest time possible.

So far we have scanned all important documents and put in the draft section of a yahoo account. It has the insurace documents, copy of bith certificates and drivers licences as well as the bank account details and home loan details. Photos have been put in photobucket.

If we need to get out fast, the whole family know what car we will be taking (4 cars only 2 drivers). The company cars will be left at home and our employers can worry about insurance. The 4wd will be the first to go with the float attached and if hubby is home his clasic car. The back of the 4wd has a couple of buckets for water for the dogs as well as some dog food and leads, some woolen horse rugs to help woth radiant heat if need and they can also be used for warmth as well. The first aid kit has been checked and restocked.

Old mobile phone with all important numbers and a car charger is located in the car as well (and a little bit of cash but don't tell anyone)

Lets all hope that we don't need any of it, but if we do we can leave in the quickest time possible without worrying about getting anything from the house.
Re: ARE YOU FIRE-READY? [message #2089536 is a reply to message #2088940 ] Wed, 24 November 2010 10:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  jazir1787  
sounds like your pretty sorted!

what about people supplies in the car? what's your plan if the fire catches up? you are supposed to stay in the car under a blanket

id throw in a torch and a radio with batteries or wind up - in case the car fails. a few good snacks like muesli bars? first aid kit?

id also back up your fav photos ona a hard drive or soething?

im living in town these days, less worried about loosing stuff in the house and more worried about getting to my horse in time

RIP Jazzy <3
Re: ARE YOU FIRE-READY? [message #2098772 is a reply to message #2075258 ] Wed, 01 December 2010 11:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  wombat07  
Breedersales wrote on Fri, 12 November 2010 09:09

Lucky you! Living in the one area of Kinglake that is in the City of Whittlesea is a nightmare. We are all being fined for cleaning up. What sh*ts me is that we are all requested to cut our grass 20 meters of the road boundary fences or get fines but the council verges has grass 4 times higher than that of the land owner and I haven't once seen a grass cutter up here this year. Confused

Politeness, n. The most acceptable hypocrisy
Re: ARE YOU FIRE-READY? [message #2099427 is a reply to message #2089536 ] Wed, 01 December 2010 18:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  megsie86  is currently offline megsie86  
Its my party and I'll hoo haa if I want to
jazir1787 wrote on Wed, 24 November 2010 10:48

what about people supplies in the car? what's your plan if the fire catches up? you are supposed to stay in the car under a blanket

id throw in a torch and a radio with batteries or wind up - in case the car fails. a few good snacks like muesli bars? first aid kit?

im living in town these days, less worried about loosing stuff in the house and more worried about getting to my horse in time

if the fire catches up and u stay in ur car ur dead simple as that i saw it first hand....
Do what u want but i wouldnt be hideing under a blanket in my car with flames all around me i would be kissing my ass goodbye.

And if ur horse is up somewhere u cant get to i suggest u leave them there and save urself 2 girls died in kinglake for going to try and save their horses lifes now there mother and father have lost 2 children in one horrific day.

That sucks celia we havent been fined yet we are waiting for it and we havent been told to cut down anything yet as we are cutting for hay this yr

https://www.facebook.com/pages/SM-Notley-Excavations/5117127 55547535

www.korunnavalleystation.webs.com

'Allegra' born 23/12/10 beautiful chestnut filly Smile
Re: ARE YOU FIRE-READY? [message #2101686 is a reply to message #2099427 ] Fri, 03 December 2010 19:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  FJDJ  is currently offline FJDJ  
Level 1 - Advanced
megsie86 wrote on Wed, 01 December 2010 18:50

jazir1787 wrote on Wed, 24 November 2010 10:48

if the fire catches up and u stay in ur car ur dead simple as that i saw it first hand....
Do what u want but i wouldnt be hideing under a blanket in my car with flames all around me i would be kissing my ass goodbye.

And if ur horse is up somewhere u cant get to i suggest u leave them there and save urself 2 girls died in kinglake for going to try and save their horses lifes now there mother and father have lost 2 children in one horrific day.

That sucks celia we havent been fined yet we are waiting for it and we havent been told to cut down anything yet as we are cutting for hay this yr

sorry megsie thats a very gloomy outlook you have in regard to the trusty fire blanket a burn over situation is something nobody wants to have to endure, yes alot of people died in cars on that day but there was also people that did survive in cars nad you have more chance of surviving a burn over in a car than getting out and running as long as the car is well placed but like i said its a position nobody wants to be in i know people that have been there and they were kissing their ass good bye but they lived to tell the tail.

having a fire blanket in your car is a extremly good idea they have plenty of uses. i have one in my car and have used it many times the night of black sat i layed it out so my ill father could rest. even if you plan to leave early and you end up at a refuge after a change it can get cold you can put it on the ground to sit on tie it up for shade use it for a strecher for somebody that is injured wrap someone up that has gone into shock

i wish everybody a safe summer its a late season this year was told today at work 20th of december for my area but it still pays to be ready now like they say fire preperation is a year round task
Re: ARE YOU FIRE-READY? [message #2349162 is a reply to message #2070526 ] Tue, 12 July 2011 04:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sandry  is currently offline sandry  
Level 5
Prepare your home for the bushfire season. Make sure you have a plan in place long before there are fires in your area. You also need to know what to do if you are on holidays in a bushfire region.

this article
Email this article
Add link to social media Facebook, Myspace, Twitter

FireReady

Prepare yourself before the bushfire season starts. Make sure you plan your actions to deal with a threat or emergency and protect your health. The best way to do this is to prepare a Bushfire Survival Plan.

More information

Country Fire Authority
Department of Health - Bushfire Health and Mental Health Information
Department of Human Services - Emergency Management

Preparing for fire
It is normal to feel anxious during bushfire season and this anxiety may be worse for people who have been affected by fire before. Bushfires can also put you at risk of heat-related illness, dehydration and breathing problems. Prevention is the best way to protect your health in a fire.

Bushfire season - prepare your mind
Heat stress and heat-related illness
Bushfire smoke
Bushfires - people with a disability

Safety and first aid
Plan to look after your safety and learn how to treat injuries caused by bushfire such as burns, shock and eye damage.

Shock
Burns
Sunburn
Cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR)
Emergencies - when to call an ambulance
Eye injuries - flash burns
Wounds - how to care for them
First aid kits
Water - a vital nutrient

If you are concerned that someone may be suffering from heat-related illness or other effects as a result of fire, encourage them to see their doctor. For further advice or health information, contact Nurse-on-Call on 1300 60 60 24.

Recovering from emergencies
It is normal to have strong emotional or physical reactions after a distressing or frightening event. These feelings are part of the healing process and may last for days, weeks or even longer. Learn how to help yourself and others cope with and recover from these experiences.

Trauma - how our body reacts
Trauma - reacting and recovering
Trauma - helping loved ones
Trauma - after effects

If at any time you are worried about your mental health or the mental health of a loved one, call the Mental Health Advice Line on 1300 280 737 or Lifeline 13 11 14.

After the bushfire - hazards
Take care when cleaning up after bushfires - debris, smoke and contaminated water are all potential hazards.

Bushfire aftermath - hazards
Bushfires and water tanks
Pollution - air
Smog
Wood fires and breathing problems

thanks,

[Updated on: Tue, 12 July 2011 09:21] by Moderator

Re: ARE YOU FIRE-READY? [message #2509914 is a reply to message #2349162 ] Sun, 18 December 2011 15:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  wombat07  
sandry wrote on Tue, 12 July 2011 04:46

Prepare your home for the bushfire season. Make sure you have a plan in place long before there are fires in your area. You also need to know what to do if you are on holidays in a bushfire region.

this article
Email this article
Add link to social media Facebook, Myspace, Twitter

FireReady

Prepare yourself before the bushfire season starts. Make sure you plan your actions to deal with a threat or emergency and protect your health. The best way to do this is to prepare a Bushfire Survival Plan.

More information

Country Fire Authority
Department of Health - Bushfire Health and Mental Health Information
Department of Human Services - Emergency Management

Preparing for fire
It is normal to feel anxious during bushfire season and this anxiety may be worse for people who have been affected by fire before. Bushfires can also put you at risk of heat-related illness, dehydration and breathing problems. Prevention is the best way to protect your health in a fire.

Bushfire season - prepare your mind
Heat stress and heat-related illness
Bushfire smoke
Bushfires - people with a disability

Safety and first aid
Plan to look after your safety and learn how to treat injuries caused by bushfire such as burns, shock and eye damage.

Shock
Burns
Sunburn
Cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR)
Emergencies - when to call an ambulance
Eye injuries - flash burns
Wounds - how to care for them
First aid kits
Water - a vital nutrient

If you are concerned that someone may be suffering from heat-related illness or other effects as a result of fire, encourage them to see their doctor. For further advice or health information, contact Nurse-on-Call on 1300 60 60 24.

Recovering from emergencies
It is normal to have strong emotional or physical reactions after a distressing or frightening event. These feelings are part of the healing process and may last for days, weeks or even longer. Learn how to help yourself and others cope with and recover from these experiences.

Trauma - how our body reacts
Trauma - reacting and recovering
Trauma - helping loved ones
Trauma - after effects

If at any time you are worried about your mental health or the mental health of a loved one, call the Mental Health Advice Line on 1300 280 737 or Lifeline 13 11 14.

After the bushfire - hazards
Take care when cleaning up after bushfires - debris, smoke and contaminated water are all potential hazards.

Bushfire aftermath - hazards
Bushfires and water tanks
Pollution - air
Smog
Wood fires and breathing problems

thanks,

And be prepared for the council to change it's mind on new building policies and audit your place each year once you rebuild, thereby retracting your cert of occupancy, a year and a half later although you are still paying higher rates based on your newly assessed building . Then when you need assistance because of the bureaucratic red tape retract all social service avenues because essentially you are classed as 'over it by now'.

You will also get a rather informative letter accusing you of risking your neighbours lives because you need to clear up your property when council policy has restricted cleanup for native flora & fauna.

Not to mention investing donated money into community 'half arsed arts' programs that essentially will fail because of the impracticality of it.

Politeness, n. The most acceptable hypocrisy
Re: ARE YOU FIRE-READY? [message #2521121 is a reply to message #2070526 ] Fri, 30 December 2011 12:50 Go to previous message
  StephJ  is currently offline StephJ  
Level 1
Confused

[Updated on: Fri, 30 December 2011 13:58]

StephJ.

Life is too short, don't be afraid to take chances!

Best line a guy ever said to a girl:
"The next time I kneel down for a girl will be when I'm tying our daughter's shoelace."
Pm me if you think this is sweet!
Previous Topic:TOMORROW THE 29/11/11 HAS BEEN DECLARED A TOTAL FIRE BAN FOR MALLEE AND WIMMER DISTRICTS
Next Topic:TOMORROW THE 2/1/12 HAS BEEN DECLARED A TOTAL FIRE BAN
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Aug 21 08:23:28 EST 2014

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01553 seconds

.:: Home ::.