[Home]       [Forum]       [Event Calendar]       [Forum Birthdays]

Home » Vichorse Forum » General - On Topic » little nasty lumps all over horse :(
little nasty lumps all over horse :( [message #2488531] Fri, 25 November 2011 21:48 Go to next message
  zippy  
Level 1 - Advanced
Poor Harry has bumps all over him - legs, shoulders, face, belly, neck - not a happy boy and a high temp.

Vet has been and he has had anti histamines and an anti inflammatory and it appears to have settled somewhat though bumps are still there.

Just wondering if anyone' s horse has had anything like this?

He is lightly rugged but naked tonight, on short pasture that has clover and a bit of baby rye in it. He is on grass hay and All Phase. Gets puffy from grass now and then but the bumps are new, alarming and a concern.

Is it mossies, weather, too much sugar/protein, some weird grass reaction, there are no ant mounds or biteys around.

And the lumps are small - his face sadly reminds me of the poor Ukranian President who was secretly poisoned by the opposition and developed all these horrible bumps on his face.

Sad

"They called me mad, and I called them mad, and damn it they outvoted me"

Nathaniel Lee, 1653-92, playwright on being committed to Bedlam"

I am soooooo horsey Bot Flies chase me.
Re: little nasty lumps all over horse :( [message #2488535 is a reply to message #2488531 ] Fri, 25 November 2011 21:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  lovelyloz  is currently offline lovelyloz  
Troppo. Loco. Round the twist.
Probably an allergy, its that time of the year!

You can get repellant rinses for horsie and also (if your not already) use repellant, mesh rug etc.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v239/LadyLozwa/e8f1c5e3-ee62-4d65-8db1-bdb6be55ba53_zps1c08da14.jpg

Re: little nasty lumps all over horse :( [message #2488544 is a reply to message #2488531 ] Fri, 25 November 2011 22:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  DestinToDream  is currently offline DestinToDream  
Level 2

From what you have described my horse had a similar reaction about this time last year, but it was a reaction to mosquitoes.
Re: little nasty lumps all over horse :( [message #2488547 is a reply to message #2488531 ] Fri, 25 November 2011 22:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  proxy  
Level 1
Sounds like bites or allergy. Have seen something similar as a reaction to strangles vaccine, settled after antihistamines, could be any number of things though... good luck with it.
Re: little nasty lumps all over horse :( [message #2488551 is a reply to message #2488544 ] Fri, 25 November 2011 22:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  Millwood  
Completely Insane
This has happened to my horse this season, TWICE! The first time was may more severe than the second, I got up in the morning and he looked like elephant man, swollen face and sheath, and lumps all over. Some wheaten chaff had snuck its way into his feed so the vet thought that was the culprit (he was stabled with injury at the time). Then again a couple of weeks ago, saw him around 4pm, went out, god daughters saw him around 5pm - fine. Got home 530 ish and he was covered in lumps again. Had been seen galloping around so we searched for wasps or bees - found nothing. A very unnerving mystery.... Crying or Very Sad

It's easier to get forgiveness than permission
Re: little nasty lumps all over horse :( [message #2488559 is a reply to message #2488531 ] Fri, 25 November 2011 22:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  zippy  
Level 1 - Advanced
Thanks everyone Smile

I don't think they are individual insect bites as he has hundreds and they are evenly scattered ( as he is rugged and the bugs though annoying haven't descended in clouds) but I am wondering if it is a general all over body reaction to one or two bites? This weather is probably festering heaps of nasties too.

DD and MW do you reckon your horses lumps were all separate bites or one big reaction? Do horses have all over reactions from a single bite I wonder?

If it is mossies - why now and not previously? hmmmmm puzzling.

Because he has been puffy from grass before, I am wondering if something in the grass or his feed hasnt tipped his poor system over edge.

Will be back to see him in the morning with the vet and will get the DMSO stuff and a soothing wash and worm him early if it wont stress his system.

Poor horse ! Will update tomorrow Smile

Re: little nasty lumps all over horse :( [message #2488577 is a reply to message #2488531 ] Fri, 25 November 2011 22:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  Eltrav  
Level 3
Does it look anything like this? Luckily (or unluckily!) our girl only got them around her face and are very slowly dissapearing with daily treatment (on 3 days, off 3 days) just see how long the hair takes to regrow and if they go altogether Rolls Eyes
Sorry for the pic, i tried to resize and zoom in to a head shot - they have gone down to about 50% of original condition.
index.php?t=getfile&id=480477&private=0

[Updated on: Fri, 25 November 2011 22:31]

Re: little nasty lumps all over horse :( [message #2488592 is a reply to message #2488577 ] Fri, 25 November 2011 22:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  zippy  
Level 1 - Advanced
hmmmm his are less pronounced and there are heaps more .... ooh but the nose ones look more like his ..... groan I sure hope they disappear

What a cute mare by the way, glad she is on the mend. What are you treating her with?

Thanks!!!

Re: little nasty lumps all over horse :( [message #2488598 is a reply to message #2488531 ] Fri, 25 November 2011 22:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  Eltrav  
Level 3
I can check the spelling of the medication tomorrow, its from the vet and not kind on the pocket lol, something similar to quarterzone as would be used on humans. We recently purchased our new girl and the irritation was caused from her previous paddock (alergies - so all up its been on and off for about 3 weeks of treatment now but is clearing..shrinking the spots?) She's off to be finished undersaddle in the next week or two so ive been really hoping i could have it cleared prior to that Smile
Hope your boy is in better shape tomorrow! Keep us updated...
Re: little nasty lumps all over horse :( [message #2488628 is a reply to message #2488531 ] Fri, 25 November 2011 23:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  Magical  
Stark, Raving Bonkers
my horsey has had lumps for 6 weeks now Crying or Very Sad finally getting better from this experience and previous I define lumps as squiddgy or hard. Squiddgy usually bacteria was solved with a course of antibiotics sulprim. My boy has the hard type and I have been using Prednoderm (prob the cortisone cream that was referred to earlier the green vaseline!) that didnt work, have started him on Equine Chai as it has some anti inflammatory properties (more preventative) but have just started him on a course of Preddy Granules (this is ALL under vet supervision of course) and they are going down finally - YEAH! The next course of action from the vet was biopsy then cortisone injections into lumps which I really wanted to avoid!

hope your horse gets better soon!

I ride therefore I am
Re: little nasty lumps all over horse :( [message #2488630 is a reply to message #2488559 ] Fri, 25 November 2011 23:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  spottie_girl  
Level 3
zippy wrote on Fri, 25 November 2011 22:16

Thanks everyone Smile

I don't think they are individual insect bites as he has hundreds and they are evenly scattered ( as he is rugged and the bugs though annoying haven't descended in clouds) but I am wondering if it is a general all over body reaction to one or two bites? This weather is probably festering heaps of nasties too.

DD and MW do you reckon your horses lumps were all separate bites or one big reaction? Do horses have all over reactions from a single bite I wonder?
If it is mossies - why now and not previously? hmmmmm puzzling.

Because he has been puffy from grass before, I am wondering if something in the grass or his feed hasnt tipped his poor system over edge.

Will be back to see him in the morning with the vet and will get the DMSO stuff and a soothing wash and worm him early if it wont stress his system.

Poor horse ! Will update tomorrow Smile

Yup, my horse has had three allergic reactions over the last five years or so (we are assuming insects). It's horrible - she gets covered in welts, her face swells up to about three times its normal size and her eyes swell shut. According to my vets they very rarily get called out to see a horse more than once so it seems I am just lucky Rolls Eyes

They can have a severe allergic reaction to just one or two bites. It happens fast too - last time I found my horse within 5-10 minutes and her eyes were already swelled shut and the welts all over her. I now use a mesh rug to attempt to keep the insects off her and my lovely vets have given me anti-hisamine and anti-inflammatory injections for the first aid kit.

Re: little nasty lumps all over horse :( [message #2488633 is a reply to message #2488531 ] Fri, 25 November 2011 23:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  Eltrav  
Level 3
Yep, we have the smallish hard lumps!
my miss spell of cortisone Laughing Embarassed
Is this the first time the horse mentioned has had them Magical?
I'm really hoping they go away and dont leave any trace...but time will tell i guess and each little spot has left a teeny bald patch though cant really be seen in pic Confused
Re: little nasty lumps all over horse :( [message #2488643 is a reply to message #2488531 ] Sat, 26 November 2011 00:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  Ozcore  is currently offline Ozcore  
Level 1 - Advanced
Buddy has some on back and a few single ones here and there. If you scratch them do they have a scab or a head on them? Like a bite? Poor Harry Sad I hope he gets better really soon. Shall see u on the weekend. xx
Re: little nasty lumps all over horse :( [message #2488691 is a reply to message #2488643 ] Sat, 26 November 2011 07:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  Millwood  
Completely Insane
Like spottiegirl, my horse's reaction was very severe and included swollen head, shut eyes, fat lips, swollen sheath, lumps all over. Definitely a major reaction to something, perhaps a wasp sting or something he'd eaten (though having been stabled for the first one it sort of rules out noxious weeds).

Re: little nasty lumps all over horse :( [message #2488692 is a reply to message #2488633 ] Sat, 26 November 2011 07:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  Magical  
Stark, Raving Bonkers
Eltrav wrote on Fri, 25 November 2011 23:37

Yep, we have the smallish hard lumps!
my miss spell of cortisone Laughing Embarassed
Is this the first time the horse mentioned has had them Magical?
I'm really hoping they go away and dont leave any trace...but time will tell i guess and each little spot has left a teeny bald patch though cant really be seen in pic Confused

Yes I think so only had him 2 months and the are on his back he is only 3.

I ride therefore I am
Re: little nasty lumps all over horse :( [message #2488878 is a reply to message #2488692 ] Sat, 26 November 2011 11:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  Kerosene_Falcon  is currently offline Kerosene_Falcon  
Level 2
my horse gets that every year, about this time of year too, he looks like a cactus he has so many bumps and it makes him super grumpy, poor thing
it seems to be mozzies, he has a good mesh rug now, with a hood, and I use malaban (from the vet) it stinks like kerosene but it seems to be the only repellant thats working

Of course my horse is clumsy, he has two left feet
Re: little nasty lumps all over horse :( [message #2489332 is a reply to message #2488531 ] Sat, 26 November 2011 20:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  zippy  
Level 1 - Advanced
Harry just as bad this morning and very high temp Sad - vet came out and he had anti histamines, an anti inflam ( flux something ...?) and antibiotics. His temp dropped down to 37.6 later but have to watch it doesnt rise again.

He has had preddy granules and is off grass and on a super bland diet. Bumps gone down a bit but still has oedemas and swollen sheath. His bloods came back and he is low on iron and has a low white blood cell count.

Poor horse Sad Vet coming out again tomorrow

Re: little nasty lumps all over horse :( [message #2489418 is a reply to message #2489332 ] Sat, 26 November 2011 22:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  Millwood  
Completely Insane
Zippy, your horse sounds just like mine. The swollen sheath was a real worry as he couldnt wee. It does sound like your horse is taking longer to recover than mine. The first time it happened it was over night so we missed a lot of it, but he was obviously down and rolling Crying or Very Sad ... He was back to normal, though subdued, by sundown that night. The second time it took 24 hours or so also.

Make sure you post the result if you get to the end of it, will give me something to point out to my vet.

I dont suppose he had any wheat at all? Did he have fat lips as well as a swollen face. Had he been on antibiotics or any other medicaments (including creams, herbs etc). Just interested so I can compare notes....

Re: little nasty lumps all over horse :( [message #2489502 is a reply to message #2488544 ] Sun, 27 November 2011 07:29 Go to previous message
  horsesxeventing  
Step away from the computer,
DestinToDream wrote on Fri, 25 November 2011 22:01

From what you have described my horse had a similar reaction about this time last year, but it was a reaction to mosquitoes.

Nod My mums horse got it, covered in bumps, lying down, almost died if we didnt get the vet out! She got the same treatment. They say it was some sort of mozzie disease Mad We keep a cotton on her for most of the time especially at night Smile
Previous Topic:Horse Chiropractor/massage Geelong area
Next Topic:Founder guard- is it only affective against grain induced founder?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Oct 23 19:39:46 EST 2014

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01352 seconds

.:: Home ::.