[Home]       [Forum]       [Event Calendar]       [Forum Birthdays]

Home » Vichorse Forum » General - On Topic » Float training
Float training [message #2646911] Fri, 11 May 2012 08:56 Go to next message
  Pastelle  is currently offline Pastelle  
Level 3
Hi all, im looking for someone close to the geelong/werribee area that can re-educate my boy to walk on the float with little to no fuss. Can anyone recommend anyone??
Re: Float training [message #2646946 is a reply to message #2646911 ] Fri, 11 May 2012 09:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  Carrielou  is currently offline Carrielou  
Completely Insane
Norm Glenn: go to www.normglenn.com

Not cheap, but you get what you pay for. Worked miracles on my 3yo in the space of 3 hours.
Re: Float training [message #2647006 is a reply to message #2646911 ] Fri, 11 May 2012 10:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  remi
Stark, Raving Bonkers
What is your location?
Re: Float training [message #2647009 is a reply to message #2646946 ] Fri, 11 May 2012 10:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  jonab  
Stark, Raving Bonkers
Carrielou wrote on Fri, 11 May 2012 09:47

Norm Glenn: go to www.normglenn.com

Not cheap, but you get what you pay for. Worked miracles on my 3yo in the space of 3 hours.

Couldn't agree more!
A friend purchased his DVD series.
I have a very, very bad floater (has been for years!)
She found the first disk and i borrowed it.
Without seeing the second and third disk, she has improved beyond what i though was possible with her.
I am purchasing the whole series, as i can't believe the difference it's made already.
Re: Float training [message #2647037 is a reply to message #2646911 ] Fri, 11 May 2012 10:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Liberty
Level 5
Floating issues. Just about everyone has experienced this. All my horses are now given a Parelli foundation. Problem solved.

Pursuit of Fun
Re: Float training [message #2647344 is a reply to message #2647006 ] Fri, 11 May 2012 17:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  Pastelle  is currently offline Pastelle  
Level 3
Im in werribee
Re: Float training [message #2647359 is a reply to message #2646911 ] Fri, 11 May 2012 17:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  Follyfoot  is currently offline Follyfoot  
Troppo. Loco. Round the twist.
3rd Norm Glenn.

http://www.normglenn.com/floatloading.html
Re: Float training [message #2647362 is a reply to message #2647359 ] Fri, 11 May 2012 17:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  claire1  
The forum drove me to drink. Remind me to thank it.
That's not the guy who quotes 300 plus dollars is it???

Offical member of the AHC Somerville branch.

2007 HOOFA's Award - Bestest Poker player on the Forum

Re: Float training [message #2647371 is a reply to message #2646911 ] Fri, 11 May 2012 17:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sorry but after one glass of wine...
for pete's sake!!!
You got a bee in your bonnet atm?
1st harmony reins,
now NGroovy Baby!enn???
What does it matter what it costs? (within reason)
If he gets the job done and it is an effective and NOT cruel method...

What do you charge?
Like to see YOU get our redhead on the float...
Norm can!

Rant over,

goes to pour more wine!
Re: Float training [message #2647376 is a reply to message #2647371 ] Fri, 11 May 2012 18:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  cocochanel  
Step away from the computer,
Follyfoot wrote on Fri, 11 May 2012 17:52

Sorry but after one glass of wine...
for pete's sake!!!
You got a bee in your bonnet atm?
1st harmony reins,
now NGroovy Baby!enn???
What does it matter what it costs? (within reason)
If he gets the job done and it is an effective and NOT cruel method...

What do you charge?
Like to see YOU get our redhead on the float...
Norm can!

Rant over,

goes to pour more wine!

Laughing Laughing

Pour me another while your at it!

R.I.P My beautiful BJ
I will miss & love you every single day!
Re: Float training [message #2647385 is a reply to message #2646911 ] Fri, 11 May 2012 18:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Done !

But at this rate it will be the last...will miss the glass soon Laughing

(It's friday!)

Cheers Very Happy
Re: Float training [message #2647407 is a reply to message #2647385 ] Fri, 11 May 2012 18:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  claire1  
Yes, I guess I have a bee in my bonnet......

I met a local lady from the forum, if its the same guy,, he quoted her 300 plus dollars...

I went and did it in about 1/2 hr......

And the price?????

NOTHING........

Why, cos I can't stand to see people getting ripped off...

I'd never met her before, I didnt know her, I just couldn't believe anyone would charge that much for such a basic thing...so I offered to do it

The fugggen horse needed to learn to lead.....to,give to pressure....come forward when asked...

It's not rocket science!

[Updated on: Fri, 11 May 2012 18:34]

Re: Float training [message #2647486 is a reply to message #2646911 ] Fri, 11 May 2012 20:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well I'm glad you were able to fix the horse and very generous to give your time to help someone in need.

Let's assume that 'the guy' is someone unknown, as we don't really have any concrete information to go on.

To the OP, there have been 3 recommendations for Norm Glenn, and his contact details provided. I suggest you give him a call and find out for yourself.

As for needing to lead, give to pressure, come forward - floating issues are not always so straight forward or clearcut.
There are other reasons and in which case the above might not solve it.

In my case: I have used Norm Glenn personally and will recommend him.
Re: Float training [message #2647498 is a reply to message #2647486 ] Fri, 11 May 2012 20:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  claire1  
Disagree with the above....

How much did he charge?

Re: Float training [message #2647521 is a reply to message #2646911 ] Fri, 11 May 2012 20:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
In our case, our pony has NO leading, giving to pressure or coming forward problems.
We have owned him for 13 years and he has had extensive exposure to all 3 disciplines, PC etc.
We have used Andrew McLean's method since 2003 on all our horses.
Whether you disagree with his method is a totally different topic.

Our pony needed to come home from lease, they had not maintained his floating practise and so got Norm to come out to load him.
They had seen NGroovy Baby!ve a demonstration at their PC.
That cost $200 including travel and he spent 3 hours there.

Once the pony was back with me, I decided to get Norm out because I was unfamiliar with his method but it seemed effective and I wanted to learn.

That cost $280.
Again 3 hours on the ground with the pony
Plus 1.5hr travel each way, so 3 hr round trip.
So 6 hrs for $280, not that steep IMO.

He never bashed the pony, never raised his voice, he took it one step at a time, waiting patiently, applying pressure and releasing it, etc.
All in all a thorough job.
Re: Float training [message #2647543 is a reply to message #2646911 ] Fri, 11 May 2012 21:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  Carrielou  is currently offline Carrielou  
Completely Insane
Mine also had no leading, yielding to pressure problem, she had just never left stud...and hence float seemed way too scary.

Plus given his hourly rate was about a quarter of mine, it seemed to me to be money well spent Cool

Like I said, you get what you pay for, and his methods sounded like they would work for horse in question, and they did.

If you think it's too expensive, then it probably is for you...
Re: Float training [message #2647686 is a reply to message #2647543 ] Sat, 12 May 2012 07:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  andy10  is currently offline andy10  

I think many people have never really had a "real problem" horse with floating. Those that have know the frustration. Fair enough that an easy fix for an inexperienced owner is an easy quick job. But I have seen horses that could easily be well worth $300 or more to solve the problem. And they belonged to owners who had years of experience handling horses. A really good float trainer will always get plenty of work I think. Smile

andy
Re: Float training [message #2647986 is a reply to message #2647686 ] Sat, 12 May 2012 16:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  claire1  
agree andy10! But those types are few and far between...

If I had one like that I would certainly enlist the help of my instructor to sort it out. She charges less than that for a weeks training.....

in fact if I remember correctly, the guy that was going out to help this forumite was gonna charge 500 or so dollars, not 300 as I said last night...

I would have no problem paying whatever it cost to sort out a rogue horse, however, the price is still the same for these guys regardless if it is a simple fix or a harder fix

Re: Float training [message #2648021 is a reply to message #2647986 ] Sat, 12 May 2012 16:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  Finn  
This horse loads fine, when he knows you have his number and as long as you stay off his head and guide him via a rump rope.

Pastelle, whoever you get, make sure they don't flog him or use harsh methods as it will just send him backwards.
Re: Float training [message #2648026 is a reply to message #2648021 ] Sat, 12 May 2012 17:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  Millwood  
Completely Insane
Every man and his dog had tried teaching my horse to float, hence I bought Jim for $700. Paying norm to spend the arvo with us was the BEST money I have ever spent. We videod it all too.

It's easier to get forgiveness than permission
Re: Float training [message #2648138 is a reply to message #2646911 ] Sat, 12 May 2012 19:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  harleyquinn  is currently offline harleyquinn  
Level 1
Does one 3 hour session of float training really work in the long term?
I'm sure trainers such as Norm Glenn are great but I believe I truly have a problem loader and they would eventually get her in but she would just revert back the next day even with the same person.
We have a method that works and she knows what we are asking but she is still a problem to load.
Re: Float training [message #2648158 is a reply to message #2648138 ] Sat, 12 May 2012 20:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  Lovesagoodpaint  
harleyquinn wrote on Sat, 12 May 2012 19:53

Does one 3 hour session of float training really work in the long term? I'm sure trainers such as Norm Glenn are great but I believe I truly have a problem loader and they would eventually get her in but she would just revert back the next day even with the same person.
We have a method that works and she knows what we are asking but she is still a problem to load.

YES ... providing when you finish up the horse is going on without any hessitation, is calm and understands the deal.

AND ... providing the exact same thing is asked the following day/s .... if you change the rules then expect issues ...

what tends to happen is that the owner doesnt understand the rules the trainer has laid down between themself and the horse ... the owner asks slightly different and the horse gets all uptight because "thats not the way its done"

If you can find some one to A) teach your horse and then B) work closely with you so you can safely and competantly ask the same way then you should be right.

Everyone wants happiness no one wants pain, Yet you cant have a Rainbow without the Rain!
Re: Float training [message #2648209 is a reply to message #2648158 ] Sat, 12 May 2012 21:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  harleyquinn  is currently offline harleyquinn  
Level 1
Lovesagoodpaint wrote on Sat, 12 May 2012 20:36

Does one 3 hour session of float training really work in the long term? I'm sure trainers such as Norm Glenn are great but I believe I truly have a problem loader and they would eventually get her in but she would just revert back the next day even with the same person.

YES ... providing when you finish up the horse is going on without any hessitation, is calm and understands the deal.

AND ... providing the exact same thing is asked the following day/s .... if you change the rules then expect issues ...

what tends to happen is that the owner doesnt understand the rules the trainer has laid down between themself and the horse ... the owner asks slightly different and the horse gets all uptight because "thats not the way its done"

If you can find some one to A) teach your horse and then B) work closely with you so you can safely and competantly ask the same way then you should be right.

My horse does do this at times and other times she refuses. She is asked the same way every time.
I can see how some horses would show much improvement after a session but I believe my horse is different.
Last time I took her out it took me 5 minutes to load (which is great for her), we arrived and unloaded with no issues, went for a trail ride and it took 45-50 minutes to get her back in to go home. Both times she was asked the same way.
The time before that she self loaded to come home.
Re: Float training [message #2648218 is a reply to message #2648209 ] Sat, 12 May 2012 21:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  Lovesagoodpaint  
harleyquinn wrote on Sat, 12 May 2012 21:46

Lovesagoodpaint wrote on Sat, 12 May 2012 20:36

My horse does do this at times and other times she refuses. She is asked the same way every time.
I can see how some horses would show much improvement after a session but I believe my horse is different.
Last time I took her out it took me 5 minutes to load (which is great for her), we arrived and unloaded with no issues, went for a trail ride and it took 45-50 minutes to get her back in to go home. Both times she was asked the same way.
The time before that she self loaded to come home.

i cant comment on your, or any one elses case ... because I can't actually see whats going on to give my assesment on what I think may be happening. Personally I have never had any long term issues with problem loaders once they have been shown the correct way and I HAVE had plenty of experiance with true problem loaders.

Everyone wants happiness no one wants pain, Yet you cant have a Rainbow without the Rain!
Re: Float training [message #2648402 is a reply to message #2646911 ] Sun, 13 May 2012 09:54 Go to previous message
I agree LAGP,

I got Norm out to teach ME how to use his method, and re-enforce the pony.
Then we (OH and I) spent a week w/ DAILY training, building up from a simple drive at home to an unload within walking distance to home, and then a trip/ride/reload and home.
This was followed by a weekly session, and then every few weeks/months.
I must say, again more to consolidate my abilities, plus the him and I combination.
Norm is great that way, the 3 hrs isn't just trying to get the horse in the float, he is demonstrating, teaching, and doing a thorough job.
At one stage he had the pony in, back still down, and then made some noise on the side of the float and rocked it as well.

Pony still has 'tude and will try to get away w/ it if given the chance.
However because we are all so confident in the method and have had a lot of practise we don't have a problem anymore.
But to say that his dislike of getting on a float is solved, would be kidding myself.
He will always avoid if given the chance.
Previous Topic:Market Night Replacement - Geelong 23rd June
Next Topic:oat varieties?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 17 19:39:39 EST 2014

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.03860 seconds

.:: Home ::.