[Home]       [Forum]       [Event Calendar]       [Forum Birthdays]

Home » Vichorse Forum » General - Off Topic » Update - Thanks Guys!! What would you do?.. Has anyone done a traineeship? are they worth it?
Update - Thanks Guys!! What would you do?.. Has anyone done a traineeship? are they worth it? [message #2646408] Thu, 10 May 2012 13:16 Go to next message
  Cameo  
Level 1 - Advanced
If i get called back for another interview i seriously have to think about whether i want this or not - its a 12 month traineeship in business administration. My alternative is stay with my current retail job (or look for other full time work) and probably get a management position, but it would be far away and i might even have to move out of home for it.

This is all before i go to uni, i took a gap year (this year) to work and figure out what i really want to do. I am thinking a business marketing or business management course (eventually) - actually is anyone doing either of these and could tell me if you like it?

But back to the traineeship.. i would hold off uni for another 6 months if it was worth it. It's close enough to me, and i'd get a cert 3 and go to tafe one day a week, otherwise work full time and not be paid much at all (but then again i wouldnt get much going to uni anyway - would get paid more in retail management, but i'd have high travel/living costs and not get a qualification out of it)
Ill be honest and hopefully not come across really vain, i went to a Selective high school, pretty much everyone went to uni and the only career paths ever really spoken of (including from careers advisor) was law, medicine, maybe engineering etc. My school didn't offer anything but A grade subjects, and we never heard about anything to do with apprentice/traineeships. I therefore know nothing about them or how highly regarded they are, if at all.

Are they worth it? I know its only a diploma, but i would go on to Uni afterwards (or go to a private college, do another diploma in management - because this one finds you a job and gives you a heap of contacts - then go to uni and finish a degree)

Pleasee help me haha Razz thankyou for reading Smile

[Updated on: Sun, 13 May 2012 10:16]

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g185/Roxxi_Summer/cameocopy.jpg
Re: What would you do?.. Has anyone done a traineeship? are they worth it? [message #2646411 is a reply to message #2646408 ] Thu, 10 May 2012 13:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  cocochanel  
Step away from the computer,
I started off in a traineeship for a school doing Business Administration also.. 5 years later & I'm still working for DEECD in a very envious position to most people. I get all my school holidays, work 10minutes from home & it's a 8.30 til 4.30 position 5 days a week.

Never been happier with my decision to do my traineeship. I was extremely hesitant at first because the wage was disgusting but I pulled through it & I couldn't be happier Very Happy

R.I.P My beautiful BJ
I will miss & love you every single day!
Re: What would you do?.. Has anyone done a traineeship? are they worth it? [message #2646414 is a reply to message #2646408 ] Thu, 10 May 2012 13:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  Glenda  
The forum drove me to drink. Remind me to thank it.
and what makes you so sure you could get a management position in retail...you are obviously only young....as far as the traineeship is concerned....it is in the field that you are considering going to uni for....so it will give you an idea if you actually like working in that environment.....
Re: What would you do?.. Has anyone done a traineeship? are they worth it? [message #2646419 is a reply to message #2646408 ] Thu, 10 May 2012 13:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  lepat  
Level 1 - Advanced
A traineeship/diploma in business management isn't as great on your CV as a degree.

It might be an alternate pathway to a degree, but if you already have a place at uni lined up ready to go next year, are you potentially 'throwing it away' to do a smaller, lesser qualification?

Be a bit careful with 'business admin tranieeships'...a compnay can get a rebate for getting staff to do them, and can pay you less than what would normally be industry standard as you are 'studying'.

It is also a field you can get into without any formal qualification.

I'm also doing a degree in Marketing and find it really interesting, the way a company thinks and targets a demographic to me is amazing! It's pretty all encompnaasing, we do basic accounting, stats, brand management, international marketing and lots more, each subject where in the same vein is quite different. (I've also done half a jounalism degree and half a psych degree and LOVE this in comparison!)
Re: What would you do?.. Has anyone done a traineeship? are they worth it? [message #2646421 is a reply to message #2646419 ] Thu, 10 May 2012 13:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  cocochanel  
lepat wrote on Thu, 10 May 2012 13:36

A traineeship/diploma in business management isn't as great on your CV as a degree.

It might be an alternate pathway to a degree, but if you already have a place at uni lined up ready to go next year, are you potentially 'throwing it away' to do a smaller, lesser qualification?

Be a bit careful with 'business admin tranieeships'...a compnay can get a rebate for getting staff to do them, and can pay you less than what would normally be industry standard as you are 'studying'.

I'm also doing a degree in Marketing and find it really interesting, the way a company thinks and targets a demographic to me is amazing! It's pretty all encompnaasing, we do basic accounting, stats, brand management, international marketing and lots more, each subject where in the same vein is quite different. (I've also done half a jounalism degree and half a psych degree and LOVE this in comparison!)

I'm not to sure how true that is I'll have to check with my boss... but I'm pretty sure it just goes by what year you left school. It worked that way for me & everyone else I went to uni with.

R.I.P My beautiful BJ
Re: What would you do?.. Has anyone done a traineeship? are they worth it? [message #2646422 is a reply to message #2646408 ] Thu, 10 May 2012 13:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  zam zam  
My brother did a traineeship as an accountant many many years ago instead of going to university.
He is CEO of Deloitte Digital and was made a adjunct professor of RMIT Universiry.

http://tedxmelbourne.com/pete-williams/

Retail is dead end job and I believe university can sometimes waste years of your life where you cold be getting actual work experience.

I'd be going with the traineeship. Smile

If it sparkles or its fluffy its all good.
Re: What would you do?.. Has anyone done a traineeship? are they worth it? [message #2646443 is a reply to message #2646408 ] Thu, 10 May 2012 14:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  SHAELEEJANE  is currently offline SHAELEEJANE  
Completely Insane
I was offered a traineeship just as I was finishing VCE in an industry I had never thought of. At the time I thought its two years, give it a go and Ill be qualified before Im 20! So skip forward over 12 years and I am still in the industry with a fabulous position that I really enjoy. I was able to keep riding at an elite level as I had an income and was in a management position before I was 24. Uni isnt the only option and it it something you can do at any age.
Re: What would you do?.. Has anyone done a traineeship? are they worth it? [message #2646476 is a reply to message #2646408 ] Thu, 10 May 2012 14:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  bayview  
Out of my way, I am in the midst of a hoo haa monologue
I did a retail traineeship.... After my traineeship, I stayed for two more years, and then had the opportunity to BUY the business....

So don't rule out where the traineeship could take you.

"I'm not Heartless, I just view the world different to you..."

"The foxes we shoot, save the wildlife you love"
Re: What would you do?.. Has anyone done a traineeship? are they worth it? [message #2646511 is a reply to message #2646421 ] Thu, 10 May 2012 15:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  lepat  
Level 1 - Advanced
cocochanel wrote on Thu, 10 May 2012 13:39

I'm not to sure how true that is I'll have to check with my boss... but I'm pretty sure it just goes by what year you left school. It worked that way for me & everyone else I went to uni with.

We recently had a training company come in and give us a presentation on some different traineeships and certificates staff could undertake - our business would get a $1000 rebate from the government for every staff member who completed the course within 12 months.

They said we could offer these study positions to new employees and as it was a 'traineeship' could then save on wages as the staff member was getting an education while they were working, so would be willing to compromise on salary.

Their words, not mine!
Re: What would you do?.. Has anyone done a traineeship? are they worth it? [message #2646513 is a reply to message #2646511 ] Thu, 10 May 2012 15:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  cocochanel  
lepat wrote on Thu, 10 May 2012 15:24

cocochanel wrote on Thu, 10 May 2012 13:39

We recently had a training company come in and give us a presentation on some different traineeships and certificates staff could undertake - our business would get a $1000 rebate from the government for every staff member who completed the course within 12 months.

They said we could offer these study positions to new employees and as it was a 'traineeship' could then save on wages as the staff member was getting an education while they were working, so would be willing to compromise on salary.

Their words, not mine!

Oh okay! I wonder if it's different if you go through an actual company... I went through Apprenticeships plus and they handled it all... I definitely know you get a rebate for it & they employer has you for a discounted rate but I didn't think they had the right to choose your salary

R.I.P My beautiful BJ
Re: What would you do?.. Has anyone done a traineeship? are they worth it? [message #2646526 is a reply to message #2646408 ] Thu, 10 May 2012 15:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  bayview  
Your salary is lower as you are deemed to be studying, so not the full rate.

The salary itself was set, depending on the level of schooling I had completed. I was on $8.47 on my traineeship, and went up to $13 something when I was 'qualified' ...

But the government does subsidise the wages to encourage people to put on trainee's etc....

I think the difference inLepat's case is that instead of emplying a new staff member at the full rate, as a full staff member in training, the employer could save money by putting them on a traineeship instead...

Re: What would you do?.. Has anyone done a traineeship? are they worth it? [message #2646535 is a reply to message #2646526 ] Thu, 10 May 2012 16:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  lepat  
Level 1 - Advanced
bayview wrote on Thu, 10 May 2012 15:46

Your salary is lower as you are deemed to be studying, so not the full rate.

The salary itself was set, depending on the level of schooling I had completed. I was on $8.47 on my traineeship, and went up to $13 something when I was 'qualified' ...

But the government does subsidise the wages to encourage people to put on trainee's etc....

I think the difference inLepat's case is that instead of emplying a new staff member at the full rate, as a full staff member in training, the employer could save money by putting them on a traineeship instead...

Yeah, thats what it was. Almost like, 'hey, are you planning on hiring? How about instead of hiring someone and paying them $x per hour, hire them, put them on a trainee ship, put them on $cheap per hour and get $1000 at the end!'

It sounded pretty dodgy - no surprise we didn't take it. Just be careful you don't get put inot a situation like that.
Re: What would you do?.. Has anyone done a traineeship? are they worth it? [message #2646553 is a reply to message #2646408 ] Thu, 10 May 2012 16:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  galloping46  is currently offline galloping46  
This computer will self destruct in 10 posts

I did a trainee ship when I was in year 10/11 (currently year 12) it was for cert 3 in business
I went one day a week and got paid for it too Cool
because its business and Im potentially looking at opening my own business when Im older its great; it fits the uni requirements for the course that I would require etc etc

Re: What would you do?.. Has anyone done a traineeship? are they worth it? [message #2646592 is a reply to message #2646414 ] Thu, 10 May 2012 17:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  Cameo  
Level 1 - Advanced
Glenda wrote on Thu, 10 May 2012 13:23

and what makes you so sure you could get a management position in retail...you are obviously only young....as far as the traineeship is concerned....it is in the field that you are considering going to uni for....so it will give you an idea if you actually like working in that environment.....

Sorry didn't mean to come across as talking myself up. I have already been offered/basically guaranteed it. I'm the one holding it up as i'm reluctant to travel/relocate as far away as they want me to (i would be managing a bigger/busier store than i am currently in).

But youre right in giving me a good idea what the work could be later. And thankyou so much to everyone else, your opinions/experiences are much appreciated! I think that if i get into the next round i'll really go for it Smile

Re: What would you do?.. Has anyone done a traineeship? are they worth it? [message #2646693 is a reply to message #2646422 ] Thu, 10 May 2012 20:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  Ruby  

zam zam wrote on Thu, 10 May 2012 13:39

My brother did a traineeship as an accountant many many years ago instead of going to university.
He is CEO of Deloitte Digital and was made a adjunct professor of RMIT Universiry.

Retail is dead end job and I believe university can sometimes waste years of your life where you cold be getting actual work experience.

I know retail isn't for everyone, but I would to think what I do is more than just a "dead end job"
Re: What would you do?.. Has anyone done a traineeship? are they worth it? [message #2646724 is a reply to message #2646693 ] Thu, 10 May 2012 20:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  Rayhay  
Troppo. Loco. Round the twist.
Until you work outside of doing retail, I have to agree, retail is pretty dead end-ish not all but most instances.

I did my fair share of retail when I was younger, when I really didn't know what I wanted to do.

Move forward down the track and I look back and thank the lord I am not in retail.

Wait till you see what else is out there, if you can say the same in 5 -10 years, good for you.

I also did a traineeship about 18 years ago now, I still would be where I am now without it, but it was a good piece of paper to have to get through those stepping stones. I am now currently working on a Diploma in Business Admin. Not sure if it will advance me or not, but at least it will be current and will look nice with all my other achievements.

Goodluck with your decision either way.

Check out "The Track Box" in the commercial section or please like and share our page https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Track-Box/252336201624239 ?fref=ts
Re: What would you do?.. Has anyone done a traineeship? are they worth it? [message #2646741 is a reply to message #2646693 ] Thu, 10 May 2012 21:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  zam zam  
Ruby wrote on Thu, 10 May 2012 20:11

zam zam wrote on Thu, 10 May 2012 13:39

I know retail isn't for everyone, but I would to think what I do is more than just a "dead end job"

Not meant to be offensive at all, I did retail work for years, I mean theres not alot of room for personal growth after management positions unless you become the business owner.
It does not take long to get into management positions, once you've achieved that whats next?
Some people are happy with that and thats fine, some want more.
I think the OP sounds fairly ambitious.
Thats how I see it anyway.

If it sparkles or its fluffy its all good.
Re: What would you do?.. Has anyone done a traineeship? are they worth it? [message #2646860 is a reply to message #2646408 ] Fri, 11 May 2012 07:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  honeyjoy  
Cameo wrote on Thu, 10 May 2012 13:16

If i get called back for another interview i seriously have to think about whether i want this or not - its a 12 month traineeship in business administration. My alternative is stay with my current retail job (or look for other full time work) and probably get a management position, but it would be far away and i might even have to move out of home for it.

This is all before i go to uni, i took a gap year (this year) to work and figure out what i really want to do. I am thinking a business marketing or business management course (eventually) - actually is anyone doing either of these and could tell me if you like it?

But back to the traineeship.. i would hold off uni for another 6 months if it was worth it. It's close enough to me, and i'd get a cert 3 and go to tafe one day a week, otherwise work full time and not be paid much at all (but then again i wouldnt get much going to uni anyway - would get paid more in retail management, but i'd have high travel/living costs and not get a qualification out of it)
Ill be honest and hopefully not come across really vain, i went to a Selective high school, pretty much everyone went to uni and the only career paths ever really spoken of (including from careers advisor) was law, medicine, maybe engineering etc. My school didn't offer anything but A grade subjects, and we never heard about anything to do with apprentice/traineeships. I therefore know nothing about them or how highly regarded they are, if at all.

Are they worth it? I know its only a diploma, but i would go on to Uni afterwards (or go to a private college, do another diploma in management - because this one finds you a job and gives you a heap of contacts - then go to uni and finish a degree)

Just to clarify a few things for you.

Your traineeship is a certificate III not a Diploma! There is a huge difference between the two. Cert III is equal to a trade certificate (apprenticeship), such as hairdressing/baker/sparky etc. (It then goes on to a Cert IV, then Diploma level, then Advanced Dip, the undergraduate degree - all levels becoming more involved with lots more work and much longer study amounts Smile )As such, the National Training Wage comes into effect as a minimum wage. I would be checking the amount out prior to accepting it, as you may find it's $9.00 or so an hour! You can look up here how much you may earn.

http://www.fairwork.gov.au/pay/national-minimum-wage/pages/2 011-annual-wage-review.aspx

All businesses, receive money for taking on apprentices and trainees, regardless of which agency they go through.

Check to see if it is Cert II or III as a big difference in study and also outcomes Smile

Good luck!

ZZ- that's great re your brother Smile I am guessing he took on quite a bit of tertiary study later as he is now a Chartered accountant Smile

[Updated on: Fri, 11 May 2012 07:50]

Re: What would you do?.. Has anyone done a traineeship? are they worth it? [message #2647024 is a reply to message #2646860 ] Fri, 11 May 2012 10:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  Cameo  
Level 1 - Advanced
honeyjoy wrote on Fri, 11 May 2012 07:48

Your traineeship is a certificate III not a Diploma! There is a huge difference between the two. Cert III is equal to a trade certificate (apprenticeship), such as hairdressing/baker/sparky etc. (It then goes on to a Cert IV, then Diploma level, then Advanced Dip, the undergraduate degree - all levels becoming more involved with lots more work and much longer study amounts Smile )As such, the National Training Wage comes into effect as a minimum wage. I would be checking the amount out prior to accepting it, as you may find it's $9.00 or so an hour! You can look up here how much you may earn.

http://www.fairwork.gov.au/pay/national-minimum-wage/pages/2 011-annual-wage-review.aspx

All businesses, receive money for taking on apprentices and trainees, regardless of which agency they go through.

Check to see if it is Cert II or III as a big difference in study and also outcomes Smile

Good luck!

ZZ- that's great re your brother Smile I am guessing he took on quite a bit of tertiary study later as he is now a Chartered accountant Smile

Thankyou!!! People had told me it was the same as a diploma :/ it is definitely Certificate III but. If i take it i will absolutely be going on and furthering my education, especially from what you have just said.
I was told the wage at my interview, (just didnt want to post it) i will say its very low but haha, i do less than half the hours in my retail job for about the same amount of money. Confused

I guess i just have to figure out if it's worth putting aside a year to do this, or just work full time and save my money until the end of the year, then go straight to uni or do my other option of a diploma for a year and then uni.
Decisions decisions Sad

Re: What would you do?.. Has anyone done a traineeship? are they worth it? [message #2647044 is a reply to message #2647024 ] Fri, 11 May 2012 11:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  Ruby  

I work in retail and am currently doing a traineeship too.
I am lucky enough to also be getting a decent wage to go with it.
It wasn't my choice to do the traineeship, it's actually my second one and I don't even bother putting them on my resume.
Re: What would you do?.. Has anyone done a traineeship? are they worth it? [message #2647074 is a reply to message #2647044 ] Fri, 11 May 2012 11:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  bayview  
Ruby wrote on Fri, 11 May 2012 11:04

I work in retail and am currently doing a traineeship too.
I am lucky enough to also be getting a decent wage to go with it.
It wasn't my choice to do the traineeship, it's actually my second one and I don't even bother putting them on my resume.

really???

I thought once you had done a traineeship, you were not able to do another one Confused

Re: What would you do?.. Has anyone done a traineeship? are they worth it? [message #2647149 is a reply to message #2647074 ] Fri, 11 May 2012 13:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  honeyjoy  
if it was a Cert II that was done before, then you can do a Cert III as a traineeship. AM guessing that one may have been done at school, then one later...?
Re: What would you do?.. Has anyone done a traineeship? are they worth it? [message #2647803 is a reply to message #2647149 ] Sat, 12 May 2012 10:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  Ruby  

Both in the workplace, but yes, one was cert II in retail and this one is cert III in management or something.
I don't even take any notice of what I am studying lol
Re: What would you do?.. Has anyone done a traineeship? are they worth it? [message #2647840 is a reply to message #2647024 ] Sat, 12 May 2012 11:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  megs  is currently offline megs  

Cameo wrote on Fri, 11 May 2012 10:52

honeyjoy wrote on Fri, 11 May 2012 07:48

Good luck!

Thankyou!!! People had told me it was the same as a diploma :/ it is definitely Certificate III but. If i take it i will absolutely be going on and furthering my education, especially from what you have just said.
I was told the wage at my interview, (just didnt want to post it) i will say its very low but haha, i do less than half the hours in my retail job for about the same amount of money. Confused

I guess i just have to figure out if it's worth putting aside a year to do this, or just work full time and save my money until the end of the year, then go straight to uni or do my other option of a diploma for a year and then uni.
Decisions decisions Sad

Yes, a diploma is a LOT different to a certificate! In fact mine gave me 8 credits towards a commerce degree- including 5 of the core (compulsory) units...

I did a traineeship when i started doing personal care. Wage of $19p/hr and the company paid for cert IV.

There are good and pointless traineeships Smile
Re: What would you do?.. Has anyone done a traineeship? are they worth it? [message #2648122 is a reply to message #2646408 ] Sat, 12 May 2012 19:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  mingary  
Troppo. Loco. Round the twist.
What about medical admin? I did the medical admin course was only 4 weeks course.

There are so many jobs - private / public, gp, hospital, physio, surgeon and so on. It pays very well and there is heaps of potential to grow.

I got a job at psych hospital and so much fun. As so much drama with the patients Laughing
Re: What would you do?.. Has anyone done a traineeship? are they worth it? [message #2648418 is a reply to message #2646408 ] Sun, 13 May 2012 10:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  Cameo  
Level 1 - Advanced
Thankyou for everyone who gave me advice Smile it was and is very much appreciated.
I have decided that for where i want to go with my studies a Cert 3 isn't really worth it, i don't think ill need it down the track. If it paid a bit better or wasn't for so long (or i had started it at the beginning of the year) i would probably take it just for the experience, but if i went into it now i think it would just effectively be taking 6 months of time off what i could be spending on a diploma/degree.

I have decided to start my diploma either semester 3 this year or 1 next year. That will go for a year so i will get heaps of hands on industry experience and contacts (which is why i want to do the diploma first, i think that will be helpful) and then i found out that the uni i want to go to actually does a partnership with the college, so i can go straight onto there and use my credit points to take a bit off the course Smile

And thankyou mingary, i had no idea about that and i am really going to look into it, just for an extra qualification and the experience.

Re: Update - Thanks Guys!! What would you do?.. Has anyone done a traineeship? are they worth it? [message #2648542 is a reply to message #2646408 ] Sun, 13 May 2012 12:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  megs  is currently offline megs  

Is that the deakin at your doorstep associate degree? If so, you can get a diploma, associate degree AND bachelor degree in the same time as a straight bachelor Smile
Re: Update - Thanks Guys!! What would you do?.. Has anyone done a traineeship? are they worth it? [message #2648583 is a reply to message #2648542 ] Sun, 13 May 2012 12:54 Go to previous message
  Cameo  
Level 1 - Advanced
megs wrote on Sun, 13 May 2012 12:07

Is that the deakin at your doorstep associate degree? If so, you can get a diploma, associate degree AND bachelor degree in the same time as a straight bachelor Smile

No.. i haven't heard of that one haha, possibly because im in NSW? It does sound good but

Previous Topic:iphone contacts help
Next Topic:Anyone who has studied psych - quick question
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Jul 30 04:49:49 EST 2014

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01896 seconds
.:: Home ::.