[Home]       [Forum]       [Event Calendar]       [Forum Birthdays]

Home » Vichorse Forum » General - On Topic » unbroken horse... baby on way
unbroken horse... baby on way [message #2651275] Wed, 16 May 2012 16:15 Go to next message
  arab_lover  is currently offline arab_lover
Level 4
hey guy, just looking at opions on what others may do in my situation.
last yr i brought a 2 yr old arabian pony gelding (turns 3 this yr)to break in myself next year. i am now currently 15 weeks into my first pregnancy which has put a hold on a few things. one of those things he was meant to be shown in hand this year by myself (live in NT dont know many horsey people) but my dr has said no as i dont do well in the heat and pass out to often Embarassed so now he is sitting in the paddock being a paddock pony which i am fine with and i think he is too. im just not sure what to do next year. i will be moving state at the end of the year with the new bub and i want to take him with me.
iv had a few people say sell him you wont have time for him and all that but so far he is everything i am looking for in a horse right now. he is very quite can ride bare (walking around yard) with halter with no problems. he is a gem to handle on ground and cant wait to get him under saddle but i dont want him to be wasted.
hope this makes sense any opinons would be great just no nasty comments.

and a pic of my handsome boy

cheers

Re: unbroken horse... baby on way [message #2651282 is a reply to message #2651275 ] Wed, 16 May 2012 16:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  cheveauxpark  
The forum drove me to drink. Remind me to thank it.
Wont hurt him to sit and mature till your ready..
he's arab the longer the better.
best of luck with pending birth. Smile

Re: unbroken horse... baby on way [message #2651283 is a reply to message #2651275 ] Wed, 16 May 2012 16:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  jazir1787  
Out of my way, I am in the midst of a hoo haa monologue
give him to me for a couple of years! Surprised

~ My treasures do not clink together and glitter...
...they gleam in the sun and neigh in the night ~

RIP Jazzy <3
Re: unbroken horse... baby on way [message #2651284 is a reply to message #2651275 ] Wed, 16 May 2012 16:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  Follyfoot  is currently offline Follyfoot  
Troppo. Loco. Round the twist.
If financially you can afford to keep him, then I would.
I'd enjoy my pregnancy, I'd continue to handle him and make sure he remembers his manners, I'd practise the sort of things he'd need for the show ring - washing, standing up etc. I would also make sure that other people can safely feed and/or tend to him. With a little bub, life is unpredictable and sometimes the day won't go as planned, and you'll need to call in a favour.

When the time comes to move state, make sure he is prepared well in advance. Organise new agistment(?) for him, and depending on how big your move will be, I would be inclined to send him on ahead. You wouldn't be doing much with him the 1st few weeks anyhow and it leaves you free to pack up your end and only have to worry about bub.

Regarding his breaking in, I know nothing about the showing requirements, however I can't imagine that he would be penalised for being too old in newcomers classes?
I would look into breaking him into harness, either in the NT if available, or once you have moved. It opens up a whole new aspect to being able to utilise him and gives you the option to do together with your toddler in years to come.

He is a lovely looking boy.

Good luck with both your pregnancy and Harry.
Re: unbroken horse... baby on way [message #2651285 is a reply to message #2651275 ] Wed, 16 May 2012 16:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  Carrielou  is currently offline Carrielou  
Completely Insane
Very cute, I'd keep him. Many of us have families and jobs and horses. He won't care if you don't get him up and going until he's a bit older, as long as his basic needs are met. And you will find that you need a break from baby anyway, and what better thing to give you that break than a horse!
Re: unbroken horse... baby on way [message #2651286 is a reply to message #2651283 ] Wed, 16 May 2012 16:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jazir1787 wrote on Wed, 16 May 2012 16:26

Laughing

Yep, that would also work, except the getting back bit Rolls Eyes
Re: unbroken horse... baby on way [message #2651293 is a reply to message #2651275 ] Wed, 16 May 2012 16:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  TeeQue94  is currently offline TeeQue94  
Level 1 - Advanced
Keep him (if for no other reason than that he is dead set spunky Laughing )!

A couple of years ago I had a friend asking me a similar question. She was pregnant with her first and wanted to buy a youngster whilst she was pregnant that could spend her pregnant time growing up some more and she could break in after bubs was born. She was pretty sure that she would still have the desire and confidence to start him under saddle when the time came, but others (including her partner and a horsey friend whose horse had sat in the paddock since her own baby was born) told her she wouldn't have the time or the interest once her baby arrived and that it was a silly idea.

I was pregnant with my fourth at the same time (actually we were due the same day!!!) and told her to tell her OH that she wasn't that bad wanting to have 2 horses...I had 17 when I had my first child!!! She bought a young gelding and has since started him under saddle...it has all worked out beautifully. For me, it wasn't until after the birth of my second (who was stillborn) that I found that I needed to cut down (which was due more to the depression I suffered as a result of losing my son than how busy I was being a Mum) and 3-4 horses is a really comfortable number for me at the moment with a 6 year old at school and a 1 and 2 year old at home with me all day. If you are lucky enough to be able to have him at home with you it will make it heaps easier when bubs is born, as you can take the baby monitor outside whilst they are sleeping and play with your pony. I've taken to early morning rides before hubby goes to work, 'cos my toddlers often don't sleep at the same time, but whatever your situation you'll find a way that works for you.

Having another year to grow out certainly won't do your fella any harm at all...personally I prefer not to back them until they are 4 anyway and if he is all that you want I think it would be a shame to sell him now and then be looking around for exactly him in a year's time.

Congratulations and all the best for your pregnancy and motherhood...it truly is an amazing gift Smile

"When they prise my cold, dead fingers from the reins, then and only then can somebody else have Tee Que!"
Re: unbroken horse... baby on way [message #2651297 is a reply to message #2651286 ] Wed, 16 May 2012 16:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  jazir1787  
Follyfoot wrote on Wed, 16 May 2012 16:28

jazir1787 wrote on Wed, 16 May 2012 16:26

Laughing

Yep, that would also work, except the getting back bit Rolls Eyes

Laughing

yeah i don't want anymore ponies. besides you'd have to send the poor little bugger all the way down form the NT!

maybe it's time to go find a club of sorts, make some contacts and test the water, see if anyone would be interested in a signed lease?

RIP Jazzy <3
Re: unbroken horse... baby on way [message #2651305 is a reply to message #2651275 ] Wed, 16 May 2012 16:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  chopin  is currently offline chopin  
This computer will self destruct in 10 posts
what a spunk
if you can keep him, I would, can do plenty of groundwork/desensitising, prams are scary things, by the time you have bubs he wont mind the pram

good luck and congratualations with the baby
Re: unbroken horse... baby on way [message #2651313 is a reply to message #2651275 ] Wed, 16 May 2012 16:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Level 4
thanks guys for all your replies.
my husband who is very non horsey was not happy me buying a horse but it was what i wanted so i got him and then he ways always making remarks about selling him but now since bub is coming he is more then saying keep him for the reason of needing time out of the house and that.
i just want whats best for him as only being a young one but i think it is best to leave him until about 4 whats another yr right and then he should be ready.
jaz he is the sweestest went away for a week and had my boss (arab hater) look after him and couldnt beleive how well behaved and mannered he is for a 2 yr old arab lol. he has already done a big trip from brissy to darwin and looks like end of year we will be going to either brissy tville or sa so another big trip for him.

thanks everyone for the congrats too.
Re: unbroken horse... baby on way [message #2651315 is a reply to message #2651305 ] Wed, 16 May 2012 16:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
chopin wrote on Wed, 16 May 2012 16:51

what a spunk
if you can keep him, I would, can do plenty of groundwork/desensitising, prams are scary things, by the time you have bubs he wont mind the pram

good luck and congratualations with the baby

My teenage BC/Lab had to deal with one today! Rolls Eyes

Would have been easier to go 1 round with a tiger! Laughing
Re: unbroken horse... baby on way [message #2651347 is a reply to message #2651275 ] Wed, 16 May 2012 17:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  Stockhorse  
Stark, Raving Bonkers
Bought a just broken-in rising 3yo then found out i was pregnant with 2nd child. He sat in the paddock for about 13mths before i started him again. It did him no harm to mature a bit and i actually found i could push him along a bit quicker than i would have with a younger horse as he was more mature mentally.

Its amazing how the young ones adjust to babies and prams alot quicker than the older ones. Laughing

Hang on to him if he's everything you want, they're not that easy to find.
Re: unbroken horse... baby on way [message #2651439 is a reply to message #2651347 ] Wed, 16 May 2012 19:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dustygirl  is currently offline Dustygirl  
Level 5
Totally agree, let him mature and grow. He will be better for it.

And dont let anyone tell youyou wont have time with a baby.....I have 2 horses and 2 kids. When I brought my youngster I had a 6month old and a 2 yr old and it has worked out brilliantly.
Re: unbroken horse... baby on way [message #2651628 is a reply to message #2651439 ] Wed, 16 May 2012 22:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  jazir1787  
Dustygirl wrote on Wed, 16 May 2012 19:00

Totally agree, let him mature and grow. He will be better for it.

And dont let anyone tell youyou wont have time with a baby.....I have 2 horses and 2 kids. When I brought my youngster I had a 6month old and a 2 yr old and it has worked out brilliantly.

random question...why do we suddenly have 2 dusty girls? made that other conversation a bit confusing, you were arguing with yourself...

RIP Jazzy <3
Re: unbroken horse... baby on way [message #2651897 is a reply to message #2651275 ] Thu, 17 May 2012 10:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  azza :)  is currently offline azza :)  
Level 2
If I was in your situation ( which I was a year ago) I would keep him. I have a 6 month old son and a 3 yr old unbroken gelding and as much as it is hard at times I could never sell him. My gelding got lots of handling before I got pregnant an then when I was about 30 weeks he was chucked out into 30 acres and spent some time growing and just being a horse. He was checked every day by the agistment owner and I had time to concentrate on lugging my fat ass around baby stores. By the sound of it your boy has had plenty of handling and I don't think that will go out the window if he has a horsey holiday. If you can afford to keep him I would suggest waiting till you have had bubs and seeing how you feel then. Never make any important decisions with baby brain! Bubs is now 6 months old and I keep a spare bouncer at the paddock and he entertains himself watching the horses and have the chance to remember I am more then just a walking milk bar. My partner is not into horses either but after a few good chats he realized that being a mum you give up a lot and that I needed something for myself. Not sure if this helps at all but just thought I would share. Good luck!!!
Re: unbroken horse... baby on way [message #2651938 is a reply to message #2651275 ] Thu, 17 May 2012 11:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Level 4
thanks azza it did help.

he is actually used to prams he was staying at my friends place when i first got him and she had just had a baby and he actually doesnt mind them.

i was talking to my boss last night after work and he was saying if i move to brisy i can free agist at his place (his daughter lives there with horses she break and competes) just have to pay for hard feed, she is wanting to lightly back him about may and then let him spell until i am ready to start riding so he will be about 4 when he comes back into light work.

any opions on this idea?
Re: unbroken horse... baby on way [message #2651967 is a reply to message #2651275 ] Thu, 17 May 2012 11:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  Kozie  
Level 1
Keep him,if he is everything you want they are hard enought to find.
I have done the same thing, and I still feel guilty as I am just a pleasure rider, horses are my pets and a couple of mine would really excell in adult riders or some showing.
But after all the years of them being left to mature and grow has agreed with them so much, both in mind and body. Very Happy
Re: unbroken horse... baby on way [message #2652194 is a reply to message #2651275 ] Thu, 17 May 2012 15:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  Courtz  is currently offline Courtz  
Level 4
I Know the feeling!!!
I had just broken in a 3yo part arab when I found out I was pregnant, I would say keep him, I found my little bugger very immature and a good break will do him good I think. However I am very lucky to be in a position that I can afford to let my two boys sit in the paddock until I get back into it and. Lots of people I know have got straight back into horses after having a baby, you will need a break and what better way than to spend it with your equine buddy.
Re: unbroken horse... baby on way [message #2652261 is a reply to message #2651275 ] Thu, 17 May 2012 16:47 Go to previous message
  sassyk  is currently offline sassyk  
Level 1
Keep him, as long as you can afford to do so.

I am nearly 24 weeks with my second and I've got 8 horses plus my 3 year old daughter's pony. I have no problem making time for them and handling them and I'm hoping to break my young horse in when bubs is about 6 months old.

Everyone is telling me to sell her, I'll not have the time for her, but she's a second generation home bred and the first by my stallion and I love her (reminds me so much of her dead grandmother).

If you choke a smurf, what colour does it turn?
Previous Topic:Lazer RX Clippers
Next Topic:Looking for a job
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Sep 23 20:19:56 EST 2014

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02307 seconds

.:: Home ::.