[Home]       [Forum]       [Event Calendar]       [Forum Birthdays]

Home » Vichorse Forum » General - On Topic » So does my horse love me or want to kill me?
So does my horse love me or want to kill me? [message #2650843] Wed, 16 May 2012 09:00 Go to next message
  dwebber  is currently offline dwebber  
Level 1
I went and had a cuddle with my horse before work today and I can't figure out if he was being cute or creepy Rolls Eyes

He was talking to me more than normal which I passed off as being cute, considering I had no food/treats for him. I was texting on my phone when he put his nose into my hands and started blowing hard, the muscles in his neck all tensed up and he was making odd short nickering noises in his throat. I thought he might have been worried about the noises coming from my phone (even though he didn't really look or feel tense/afraid) so I put it away. But he kept doing it to my hands and then when I went to leave, he put his nose into my face and was blowing air onto my face, neck still tense, making odd short nickering noises.

According to a horsey lady at work he may be either showing dominance or I had 'excited' him in some way (he's a gelding). I'm not worried at all about his behaviour, it was just quite odd so I'm curious as to what he was trying to tell me! Laughing
Re: So does my horse love me or want to kill me? [message #2650850 is a reply to message #2650843 ] Wed, 16 May 2012 09:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  Kasandy  
Completely Insane
Sounds like he was trying to tell you something. Now all you need to do is work out what it is.

Do you normally have treats ? Perhaps he was looking for them?
Re: So does my horse love me or want to kill me? [message #2650853 is a reply to message #2650843 ] Wed, 16 May 2012 09:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  Carrielou  is currently offline Carrielou  
Completely Insane
are you male or female? If female, horses can smell when you're ovulating, and when its that time of the month, and will "get all excited" by this Laughing
Re: So does my horse love me or want to kill me? [message #2650854 is a reply to message #2650843 ] Wed, 16 May 2012 09:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  Lovesagoodpaint  
Step away from the computer,
My filly does this sometimes, but she gets a bit excited at the same time .... I think its a play thing, something two horses would do before a jump around and run together ... the sort of thing that starts some excitment between friends and ensites a good rhomp/play.

Just be careful if he does it again he doesnt strike out or jump on top of you ... Its cute, but horse play can be not so fun for humans Laughing

Everyone wants happiness no one wants pain, Yet you cant have a Rainbow without the Rain!
Re: So does my horse love me or want to kill me? [message #2650855 is a reply to message #2650843 ] Wed, 16 May 2012 09:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  Margie  
Level 1 - Advanced
My gelding sometimes does this and I found it a bit creepy too. He also used to rub his head all over my back whilst making his strange noises - felt as though he was going to jump on me. It appeared like he was making "advances" towards me but if he tries it now I just growl at him and he goes away.
Re: So does my horse love me or want to kill me? [message #2650857 is a reply to message #2650854 ] Wed, 16 May 2012 09:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  dwebber  is currently offline dwebber  
Level 1
I'm a female and not currently ovulating, I don't think, and no I don't normally have treats for him when I visit in the mornings. My mum has a small cow that often acted like this before she tried to jump you so hopefully he doesn't follow suit! (she lives interstate so it wouldn't be learned behaviour).
Re: So does my horse love me or want to kill me? [message #2650877 is a reply to message #2650857 ] Wed, 16 May 2012 09:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  horseone  is currently offline horseone  
Level 1
I think he loves you... I have a mare who is 'all about me' from time to time she will do the same tence up and nicker at me, with a word intensity... I think she loves me in a creepy weirdo way.... Glad to hear there are other weirdos I. The world.

Edited due to bloody predictive text changing all my words.

[Updated on: Wed, 16 May 2012 09:32]

Re: So does my horse love me or want to kill me? [message #2650963 is a reply to message #2650843 ] Wed, 16 May 2012 10:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  gemgem82  is currently offline gemgem82  
Level 3
I'd agree that he is trying to tell you something.
If he's nickering and blowing air through his nose and nuzzling you, perhaps he's just re-affirming his friendship or sussing out your position on the relationship.
Alternatively, if he was directing his attention to the phone, perhaps it caught his interest and was in a curious frame of mind.
It may of continued when you put your phone away because he was wondering where it was, fancying a more in depth investigation.

I'd suspect he was in a playful mood, and he wanted to know what it was you were playing with. "what's this?", in other words.

=)

gem x

Re: So does my horse love me or want to kill me? [message #2651484 is a reply to message #2650853 ] Wed, 16 May 2012 19:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  Jarrah  is currently offline Jarrah  
Completely Insane
Carrielou wrote on Wed, 16 May 2012 09:04

are you male or female? If female, horses can smell when you're ovulating, and when its that time of the month, and will "get all excited" by this Laughing

I think this ^^^^ is on the money.

The attached link is a calculator to help work out roughly when you ovulate.
http://www.essentialbaby.com.au/conception/ovulation-calcula tor?gclid=CKqQ7PvBhLACFQcrpAodpEnmyA

I'd be keeping an eye on him, when you are near him in case he decides to take things a little further, eg. mounting, biting etc.
Re: So does my horse love me or want to kill me? [message #2651568 is a reply to message #2650843 ] Wed, 16 May 2012 21:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  martina  is currently offline martina  
The forum drove me to drink. Remind me to thank it.
Nah - You all wrong !! He got excited, as he thought you going to call that "Telefon-Sex" Hotline again Razz Laughing

Serious, it's cute to an extent but if my horse - I would tell him off ! Wouldn't want to take my chances if he decides he is going to make LOVE Shocked
He is a horse and you are human and that's the way it should stay. Just my opinion
I have seen a mare do this to a female owner and it was clearly a dominance thing, as this mare clearly is not GAY !!
Cheers MARTINA

[Updated on: Wed, 16 May 2012 21:09]

Visit The City Barn

index.php?t=getfile&id=468031&private=0

Re: So does my horse love me or want to kill me? [message #2651826 is a reply to message #2650843 ] Thu, 17 May 2012 09:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  gohorsego  
Level 2
New deoderant, moisturiser, beauty product of any description?
My boy loves it when I smell like kitchen!
Re: So does my horse love me or want to kill me? [message #2651837 is a reply to message #2650843 ] Thu, 17 May 2012 09:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  Kelmel  
The forum drove me to drink. Remind me to thank it.
My horses both do it, but one is a sooky Arab and one is an orphan frieisan... They both have high head carriages anyway, and they love attention, so arch the neck and sometimes put it on your shoulder etc, buddy will chat to me all day - walking, feeding, brushing, hanging thr clothes on the line Laughing he is never pushy though... Just extremely talkative and interested in everything the people do!

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l29/Kelmel_4884/secrets.jpg

If it's love, and we decide that it's forever - no one else could do it better.
Re: So does my horse love me or want to kill me? [message #2651879 is a reply to message #2650843 ] Thu, 17 May 2012 10:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dustygirl  is currently offline Dustygirl  
Level 5
my older horse does it too.. sometimes randomly but always when I change my body lotions soaps and washing powders.
Re: So does my horse love me or want to kill me? [message #2651885 is a reply to message #2650843 ] Thu, 17 May 2012 10:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  Steff_Stormy  
Out of my way, I am in the midst of a hoo haa monologue

I think you're reading too much into it Laughing

I don't think horses feel emotions such as love or hate, I like to pretend my horses love me when they do cute sh!t, but they just like attention and licorice. Smile
Re: So does my horse love me or want to kill me? [message #2652289 is a reply to message #2650843 ] Thu, 17 May 2012 17:14 Go to previous message
  Hugosgirl  is currently offline Hugosgirl  
Level 2
My boy (gelding) has done this a couple of times this year. It was purely excitement - was very obvious at the time if you know what I mean. Once was after a massage and he did it to me and the masseuse.

Stood my distance as didn't feel like having a 650kg on my back!
Previous Topic:Looking for a job
Next Topic:fluffy chestnut, upcoming show - help please?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Aug 2 18:32:36 EST 2014

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02671 seconds

.:: Home ::.