[Home]       [Forum]       [Event Calendar]       [Forum Birthdays]

Home » Vichorse Forum » General - On Topic » Please sponsor me am doing the ride for cancer.
Please sponsor me am doing the ride for cancer. [message #2653687] Sat, 19 May 2012 12:19 Go to next message
  pauper  
Completely Insane
Hi Everyone in a few months i'll be doing something that is "truly terrifying" have joined up for the ride a horse for cancer ride!

There have been so many on horse forums and in our lives Sad that have been affected by cancer, i want to do my bit to say thanks/help those who have given us so much even when they themselves haven't been feeling the best!

So on a day during winter Shocked in a place that would freeze a water trough (am doing the Lalbert to Dumosa section) i and a fellow VicHorse buddy will be sleeping rough then riding for 38kms to raise money for Cancer!

The people who started the ride will be riding from Victoria though NSW to Queensland a total of 2,545 and all monies raised stay in Australia to help with the treatment and care of Australian sufferers.

Any help you can give will be truly appreciated... Monetary Donations (ideally i'd like to raise $3,800... a hundred dollars for every km that i'll have ridden)

Well wishes (especially for my support buddy, think they'll need heaps of these as i dont think they realise what they have gotten themselves into)

Prayers and promises that if i ring you during the middle of the night going "its soooooooo cold, save me" you will still love me Laughing

this is the link for monetary donations and to see more about the ride.

http://nsw.cancercouncilfundraising.org.au/personalPage.aspx ?registrationID=469692

And for those that know me well.... donate big Very Happy (as much as you can reasonably afford) cause you'll know exactly what a big baby i am and how hard this is gonna be on me mentally as well as on me butt Laughing

Thanks heaps Pauper

[Updated on: Tue, 21 August 2012 21:15] by Moderator

I'm a rich bitch without the rich.
Re: Please sponsor me am doing the ride for cancer. [message #2653697 is a reply to message #2653687 ] Sat, 19 May 2012 12:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  RhemyElla  is currently offline RhemyElla  
The forum drove me to drink. Remind me to thank it.
I'm doing a leg of the ride through NSW - I can't wait! And such a fabulous cause too! Good luck raising money! Smile Smile Smile Hope you have an awesome ride!
Re: Please sponsor me am doing the ride for cancer. [message #2654142 is a reply to message #2653687 ] Sun, 20 May 2012 06:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  krystallg08  is currently offline krystallg08  
Level 2
We may bump into each other I think I'm doing swan hill to lalbert:)
Re: Please sponsor me am doing the ride for cancer. [message #2654654 is a reply to message #2654142 ] Sun, 20 May 2012 19:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  pauper  
Completely Insane
Hi Rhemyella thats brillant Very Happy
did you make up a page for yourself? if so i can leave encouraging messages for you!

Hey Krystallg08 would be great to meet up, if i get scared you could do another 40kms so i have a riding buddy Very Happy

How have you guys been doing with the donations?
have got a few so far but tomorrow my work buddies wont know whats hit them Laughing

Re: Please sponsor me am doing the ride for cancer. [message #2654912 is a reply to message #2653687 ] Sun, 20 May 2012 21:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  Equivarna  
Congratulations girls, well done. How long do we have to get on board? Smile (Kinda donated out at the moment). Embarassed

If a man says something in the forest, and no woman is there to hear him; is he still wrong?
Re: Please sponsor me am doing the ride for cancer. [message #2654944 is a reply to message #2654912 ] Sun, 20 May 2012 21:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  Sarj  
Stark, Raving Bonkers
The ride is in August...

And just in case you weren't sure how dedicated she is to the cause, our lovely Paups will be camping!! Laughing Pauper doesn't "do" camping!! I'll be donating extra if she goes through with the sleeping in a tent/float Laughing
Re: Please sponsor me am doing the ride for cancer. [message #2655076 is a reply to message #2653687 ] Sun, 20 May 2012 22:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  MissFranki  is currently offline MissFranki  
Level 1
Well done girls, will definately donate, if the others want to put their pages up as well?
Re: Please sponsor me am doing the ride for cancer. [message #2655082 is a reply to message #2653687 ] Sun, 20 May 2012 22:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  Lovesagoodpaint  
Step away from the computer,
your link doesnt work .... better fix that Wink

Everyone wants happiness no one wants pain, Yet you cant have a Rainbow without the Rain!
Re: Please sponsor me am doing the ride for cancer. [message #2655085 is a reply to message #2653687 ] Sun, 20 May 2012 22:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  Equivarna  
Put something together for Chaff Chat. Need to be quick cos it closes this week.

If a man says something in the forest, and no woman is there to hear him; is he still wrong?
Re: Please sponsor me am doing the ride for cancer. [message #2655819 is a reply to message #2655085 ] Mon, 21 May 2012 17:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  pauper  
Completely Insane
Very Happy Very Happy Im a sticky, never been a sticky before, you guys are brilliant Very Happy thank you!
it will certainly help in our quest to raise money for the cancer council!

Rhenyella, Krystall08 and any one else doing the ride put your links up here they'll never got lost now Very Happy

Hi Equivarna the ride itself does not finish till end of October (i think, will have to check that out)and i'm sure they would be taking donations from people they meet along the way, so i'd say there would be at least 6 months for people to donate.

if people prefer not to donate money via the internet i also have the details for a NAB account that people can donate into. or if your like me...a Pauper and rarely have any spare,
the ride organisers are also looking for donations of feed for humans and horses and help from any vets, farriers or other horsey business people who may be able to offer their services free of charge along the way.

everything cent donated to the cancer council stays with the cancer council so Chris and Shelley the organisers are digging deep into their own pockets to cover everything needed for the ride so any help we can give them at all will really be appreciated!

Equivarna that's a great idea about Chaff chat Very Happy will let the organisers know.
i did see a lovely article written in our local paper about one of the riders, she's a young Mum who's had cancer not once but twice Crying or Very Sad yet she's still going to saddle up her horse and help raise money!
hope i get to meet her as she really sounded like a inspirational lady!

Sarj the last time i saw stars above me head was years ago when i fell down the cellar at work Shocked and that wasnt a pleasant experience then Laughing
i do have a "backup plan" though, there is a (only one mind you) hotel in town they dont do accommodation (i already checked Laughing and they only do meals on a Friday, but i reckon they'd have to have hot water. so if i get cold im going over there for them to fill me hot water bottle up Laughing and if they dont well i'll call you and whinge Razz Laughing

Thanks everyone for your well wishes! one thing about the horse community, when there is a good cause to be helped, we're right there behind it Smile

Re: Please sponsor me am doing the ride for cancer. [message #2655850 is a reply to message #2655819 ] Mon, 21 May 2012 17:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  pauper  
Completely Insane
Hopefully the first link is fixed now. and heres one that tells people about the whole ride.

http://www.horserideforcancer.com.au/

Re: Please sponsor me am doing the ride for cancer. [message #2658733 is a reply to message #2653687 ] Thu, 24 May 2012 17:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  mamasue  
Completely Insane
There's also a FB group:

Horse ride for cancer, covering nsw - vic - qld

Smile
Re: Please sponsor me am doing the ride for cancer. [message #2659198 is a reply to message #2658733 ] Fri, 25 May 2012 09:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  pauper  
Completely Insane
Hi Mamasue yep they are on facebook Very Happy except i dont do facebook (dont trust that place) but if people would like to add them to their facebook site that would be good.
the more money raised to help the cancer council the better Very Happy

Re: Please sponsor me am doing the ride for cancer. [message #2659360 is a reply to message #2659198 ] Fri, 25 May 2012 11:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  kayenna  
Level 1 - Advanced
Zivvy is kindly donating her $25 from the cancelled karaoke night, which i will transfer over today.....good on you Zivvy Very Happy .........and good luck on achieving your donation goal, wish you all the luck in the world and good on you for doing something as selfless as this Smile
Re: Please sponsor me am doing the ride for cancer. [message #2660949 is a reply to message #2659360 ] Sat, 26 May 2012 22:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  pauper  
Completely Insane
Thank you so much Kayenna and Zivvy that's a very kind thing you are doing Very Happy

sorry to hear that your karaoke night is not going ahead Sad you would have worked very hard putting it together!

you have given me a idea though, i could do reverse busking.

instead of people giving me money to sing they would give me donations just to shut me up Laughing lets just say that even a cat stuck in car tyre sings better than me Laughing the cancer council would then be rolling in money Very Happy

*Edited to add no cats were harmed in the typing of this post*

[Updated on: Sat, 26 May 2012 22:34]

Re: Please sponsor me am doing the ride for cancer. [message #2666950 is a reply to message #2660949 ] Sat, 02 June 2012 18:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  pauper  
Completely Insane
Hi Guys would like to take this opportunity to thank everyone who has donated so far Smile
have even had a few anonymous donors Very Happy if this was you thank you from the bottom of my heart.
seeing the little "thermometer" thingy going up is pushing me to get off me butt and get the horse and i fit so we dont let anyone down (cant promise i will survive the sleeping rough bit though Laughing )

Training is going very well (must remember to thank God for this brilliant weather Laughing )
have even been out on the road with a friend Very Happy was a tad terrifying. our horse isnt really fussed, its me who sees a bin/letterbox/car on the other side of the road and think its going to jump up and hit us....guess this nervous nelly mode is more deep seated then i thought Laughing

so when i was having a ride later it didnt help that TD noticed a wild goat that id mentioned to her earlier (she didnt believe me...pffft) and dragged me and the horse off to see it and then pushed our horse between her and the goat in case it charged Shocked (little b###a)

forgave that one Cool not sure if i should forgive her for chasing the goat around the place till it entered the arena while the horse and i were working Shocked again horse didnt care i need a change of undies though Embarassed

one thing though if the horse tries to tell me on our big ride for the cancer council that he is scared of anything but a field of wheat (thats pretty much all the landscape we'll be seeing Laughing i'll know he's trying to trick me Rolls Eyes

How is everyone elses training going?

have to admit i never thought having a "saggy baggy elephant" bum would ever come in handy Laughing its certainly making for good padding Very Happy

Re: Please sponsor me am doing the ride for cancer. [message #2667801 is a reply to message #2653687 ] Sun, 03 June 2012 22:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  CRUZE  is currently offline CRUZE  
Step away from the computer,
I'll donate, just give me a couple of weeks, had a unexpected bill this week Rolls Eyes

"Its just another bucket"
Re: Please sponsor me am doing the ride for cancer. [message #2668371 is a reply to message #2667801 ] Mon, 04 June 2012 18:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  pauper  
Completely Insane
Hi Cruze not good about your unexpected bill, hope its not major.

if your are able to donate that would be great, dont stress yourself about time or amount just whenever your finances are looking up would be fine Smile
cause any dollar we can give the cancer council is one more than they had before.

Re: Please sponsor me am doing the ride for cancer. [message #2671682 is a reply to message #2668371 ] Fri, 08 June 2012 11:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  pauper  
Completely Insane
have decided to start a new scheme to help with me fundraising Very Happy
For years buddies have been pushing for me to join facebook, could never see a reason to (haven't seen anything majorly good about it) i much prefer horse forums to chat and hear horsey stories and use the good old fashioned telephone Laughing ,

anyhoo i did think of one thing that facebook maybe able to help with, so using it to my advantage im now on facebook Shocked

Not being a traditional gal my facebook page is one with a "difference" (would anyone expect anything different LOL)

it will only be up for a few months (its already driving me bonkers...stupid thing keeps freezing me puter) and i'll pretty much only be posting about horses, our training, helping others and raising money for charity so if you like the "traditional inane" facebook things of "what people ate" "how many times someone changed my clothes" or "who's doing who" then you probably wont find the updates fascinating.

another difference is my facebook buddies are ones who have been very supportive or can offer helpful tips, so i dont collapse (think the sleeping rough will get me before the ride LOL)

membership is for those who have wished me well (or would like to) on my quest to raise money for the cancer council or who have helped me get organised like my wonderful VH buddy who found me the perfect saddle blanket with pockets for the ride or finally for the lovely people who have made or wish to make a donation to the cancer council horse ride link.

if people would like to join my facebook page then please send a PM or "jump up and down" on here and i'll send the link.

for those who have already posted on this thread you get a complimentary membership Very Happy (meaning i wont be hounding you to offer support or cough up a donation to the cancer council link Laughing
cheers Pauper

P.s if anyone who has offered support wants to join then PM me your real name so i dont click on "who on earth is this person" and accidently delete you Sad

and a little warning if i friend people who are just using my page so they can have 1,001 friends instead of 1,000 i will delete you purposely Wink im a heartless B###h when it comes to fundraising Laughing

Re: Please sponsor me am doing the ride for cancer. [message #2674452 is a reply to message #2653687 ] Tue, 12 June 2012 11:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  just_me  is currently offline just_me  
Level 4

In 2002 my father and a group did a charity ride called Campfires Against Cancer I think the website is still around.

They rode from Darwin to Corryong and then continued on to Melbourne catching the ferry to Tas and riding to the bottom of Tassie.

They raised over $530,000 for cancer research adn the goods news is that the researcher work is looking very promising and is working in its preliminary stages.

Wishing you all the successes in fund raising. I will go and look at the website now.

Good luck and enjoy!
Re: Please sponsor me am doing the ride for cancer. [message #2674946 is a reply to message #2674452 ] Tue, 12 June 2012 21:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  pauper  
Completely Insane
Hi Justme are you my buddy K? if you are was only thinking of you yesterday Very Happy

that would have been a amazing experience your Dad went on, will do a google to see if i can find their website. am in awe of people who can ride for so long, stories like theirs should never be forgotten.

also a big thank you to you Smile will be 100% grateful for any help we can get in promoting this ride.
cheers Pauper

Re: Please sponsor me am doing the ride for cancer. [message #2681508 is a reply to message #2674946 ] Wed, 20 June 2012 14:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  pauper  
Completely Insane
Havent done a update for a while Embarassed so here it is Laughing

Horse is fitting fit after be putting on a iron supplement, so now its my turn to "pull meself together"

about 3 or 4 months ago i stepped on something in our lounge room, i brushed it off me foot and didnt think anything more about it till a few weeks later when it started to reemerge Shocked

(note listen to your Mums when they say "dont walk barefoot" Very Happy )

couldn't afford the time of work so just left it there!
its been handy cause having something on the ball of your foot go ouch, means you definetly keep heels down when riding Laughing
now on holidays thought I'd better do something about it and toddled off to the doctors.

hadn't meet him before and wasnt impressed when he didnt introduce himself just asked me to "strip off" Shocked (me foot that was Laughing )
he told me it was a corn... i said "nope definetly something in there" he replied "i guess you want a local antiseptic" UMMMMM YES unless you want me giving you a face lift with me foot! Rolls Eyes

went into a hospital type looking room where i had one nurse hold me other foot down and another holding me hand (we are never to old to hold the hand of one we love or in this case one we have just met Laughing ) where he proceed to "slice and dice" me foot open!

the nurses were fantastic they chatted about tim tam slams Very Happy and how they learnt at a conference that there are some adults who get off on wearing nappies Shocked

Doctor "slice and dice" even cracked a smile or two Laughing and after about 10 mins he proudly proclaimed he'd found my problem, only thing is none of us (we all had a good squiz) could work out what it was!

it kind looks like it used to be a bit of plastic from a clothing tag but was all squishy (guess living in someones foot for a few months will do that Laughing ) so his going to send it off to be tested

the lovely nurses then cleaned me up, told me it was okay that i said a bad word Embarassed put on a dressing and sent me home to ride another day Very Happy

only bad thing is now i dont have anything to help keeping me heels down, oh well thats what instructors are for Razz

next on the agenda is new shoes for the pony, reckon he'll be better at having his feet handle then i was Laughing

Re: Please sponsor me am doing the ride for cancer. [message #2681801 is a reply to message #2681508 ] Wed, 20 June 2012 19:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  whittysan  
Level 2
Hi pauper

I hope you (and everyone else) access the HRFC site on facebook as well. Today they posted some great merchandise on there. Looks like my bank balance will take a big fall Surprised

Never assume anything
Re: Please sponsor me am doing the ride for cancer. [message #2684075 is a reply to message #2681801 ] Fri, 22 June 2012 22:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  pauper  
Completely Insane
Hi Whittysan yep have had a big drool Very Happy

only problem is i cant decide what to get Laughing

Re: Please sponsor me am doing the ride for cancer. [message #2690878 is a reply to message #2653687 ] Mon, 02 July 2012 01:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  laylia.may  is currently offline laylia.may  
Level 3

Well done everyone supporting and doing the ride! i was going to do the start up to the border of vic/nsw but dont have the right horse and the horse i was going to ride fell through so goodluck to everyone! Very Happy

horses are my everything <3 they bring love, happiness and provide a shoulder to cry on..
Re: Please sponsor me am doing the ride for cancer. [message #2694321 is a reply to message #2653687 ] Fri, 06 July 2012 13:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  Minx  is currently offline Minx  
Level 2
Hi Pauper I have enjoyed reading your posts and good luck on your ride Very Happy if i had a horse i would sign up and be your riding buddy, also i hope you have someone to camp with as i wouldnt like doing it all alone but im a sook Laughing how do i join your facebook

~A Diamond in the rough...AKA a Standardbred~
Re: Please sponsor me am doing the ride for cancer. [message #2694534 is a reply to message #2684075 ] Fri, 06 July 2012 18:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  whittysan  
Level 2
pauper wrote on Fri, 22 June 2012 22:53

Hi Whittysan yep have had a big drool Very Happy

only problem is i cant decide what to get Laughing

Ummm...so far I have ordered a jacket, l/sleeve shirt and cap as well as an extra cap to send to my darling nephew who is currently in hospital recovering from a stem cell transplant Smile

Never assume anything
Re: Please sponsor me am doing the ride for cancer. [message #2705708 is a reply to message #2653687 ] Sat, 21 July 2012 12:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  champandme  is currently offline champandme  
Level 1
If anyone will be staying over at Oxley I will be giving horse massages. Have fun! Wish I could go but dont have a suitable horse nor are any of them fit enough due to work and winter...
Re: Please sponsor me am doing the ride for cancer. [message #2708453 is a reply to message #2653687 ] Tue, 24 July 2012 23:59 Go to previous message
jennifercollett  is currently offline jennifercollett  
Level 5
Well done to all going on the ride and good luck wish i was going sounds like fun pauper hope the foot gets better for you.
Previous Topic:tbred brand search urgent
Next Topic:chestnut sensitivity
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Nov 22 05:56:53 EST 2014

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.04630 seconds
.:: Home ::.