[Home]       [Forum]       [Event Calendar]       [Forum Birthdays]

Home » Vichorse Forum » General - On Topic » Would you give up
Would you give up [message #2678723] Sun, 17 June 2012 15:09 Go to next message
mypony35  is currently offline mypony35  
Level 5
Hi, sort of new ish around here... Anyhow, been going through hell with my horse the past few years with vet bills and injuries, now he is getting older I ask the question, would you retire him or keep persisting?

So first up, around 2 years ago he was bitten by a spider, had a few weeks off, slowly back into work, then had 2 x abcesses, then slowly back into work, then a shoulder issue, slowly back into work, then a knee issue, then pulled back and hurt his neck. Just got him fit again, and yep, fat leg. Sigh

Each injury was always treated properly, got given extra time off to heal, never a hurry, never any urgency, get better and we'll start back up at a slow pace. He gets good feed, supplements, pentosan when required.

But he is 16 this year, he had a hard life before me as a racehorse, then high level EFA eventer, I'm wondering if it's his bodies way of telling me he's had enough (although most of his injuries have all been done in the paddock).

I'll never sell him, but can't afford another horse, and don't have the space, so now I have to decide, once this leg heals, (it's nothing major, just needs time) do I get him fit again, or is it time to bite the bullet and send him to a TB stud to baby sit youngsters. But, he isn't that old. I'm just sick of vet bills, and I'm sick of him injured. I feel bad for the poor guy! He's in post and rail paddocks, gets monthly massages... UGH

So, if it was you - what would you do? Ride again or retire him?
Re: Would you give up [message #2678730 is a reply to message #2678723 ] Sun, 17 June 2012 15:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  tabby68  is currently offline tabby68  
Level 3
If it was me, just going off what you have said, I would keep trying. Of course I'm happy to just get on a horse and go for a trail ride, which should be suitable for him? What do you do with him?
I don't really see 16 as really old. At my local RDA the star horse is 34 and still going strong, although he is starting to show his age now. Then there a lot of the other ponies there whome are all well into their twenties.
Is there a local RDA near you? If he is suitable you may be able to send him on a long term lease there if you do decide to let him 'retire'.

index.php?t=getfile&id=510134&private=0
Re: Would you give up [message #2678762 is a reply to message #2678730 ] Sun, 17 June 2012 16:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Level 5
He's a big TB showjumper, not sure if he'll be suited for RDA! (sorry should have said that in original post). Embarassed Smile

I don't think 16 is old either, but he went pretty hard when he was younger, so wondering if his body is older then the rest of him!?! Confused Confused

Also, while I have a good monthly budget for maintenance / vet etc, I don't have enough $ to replace him (selfish - possibly, but being realistic here). To get another C/B EFA horse costs $, so I guess the opportunity to get a lease for somewhere is there, but just don't want to give up on my guy yet, as he is such a champ - but wonder if I'm doing the right thing by him!

Don't know!!
Re: Would you give up [message #2678789 is a reply to message #2678723 ] Sun, 17 June 2012 16:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  02Early  
Level 1
I'm a firm believer in never giving up and here's why -

When my 16yo TB went severely lame i was told he had ringbone, i exhausted all the options of corrective shoeing etc and could not get him paddock sound - i was strongly advised several time to shoot him. We had just asked the neighbour if they'd dig us a hole when i heard that barefoot can help ringbone.

Well we tried that, but the person trimming him didn't believe in what we were doing, still kept saying 'he won't last the winter with those joints'.

I decided to take responsibility for his treatment myself and surrounded myself in people who believed he was worth trying to save. I'd also had ringbone surgery suggested but had decided against it when i was told he wouldn't be rideable after it and possibly not paddock sound anyway.

Well, my beast is turning 21 this year, came home from bendigo sj with 4 firsts and 2 seconds and level champ, came home from shep with a first place and 3rd over all, and is currently in the SJ top ten. He needs special management for his problems but he's now competing better than he was pre-injury!

I'm not saying its all going to be sunshine and rainbows, but SOMETIMES, some of them do come out the other end shining Smile

index.php?t=getfile&id=515092&private=0

ISKANDER RUN BAREFOOT PERFORMANCE HORSES
sarah@iskanderrun.com.au
http://www.iskanderrun.com.au
http://www.facebook.com/iskanderrunBPH
Re: Would you give up [message #2678799 is a reply to message #2678789 ] Sun, 17 June 2012 17:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  merlot  is currently offline merlot  
Completely Insane
02Early wrote on Sun, 17 June 2012 16:48

When my 16yo TB went severely lame i was told he had ringbone, i exhausted all the options of corrective shoeing etc and could not get him paddock sound - i was strongly advised several time to shoot him. We had just asked the neighbour if they'd dig us a hole when i heard that barefoot can help ringbone.

Well we tried that, but the person trimming him didn't believe in what we were doing, still kept saying 'he won't last the winter with those joints'.

I decided to take responsibility for his treatment myself and surrounded myself in people who believed he was worth trying to save. I'd also had ringbone surgery suggested but had decided against it when i was told he wouldn't be rideable after it and possibly not paddock sound anyway.

Well, my beast is turning 21 this year, came home from bendigo sj with 4 firsts and 2 seconds and level champ, came home from shep with a first place and 3rd over all, and is currently in the SJ top ten. He needs special management for his problems but he's now competing better than he was pre-injury!

I'm not saying its all going to be sunshine and rainbows, but SOMETIMES, some of them do come out the other end shining Smile

He went round beautifully today, you would never know that he was 21 and had ringbone Very Happy
Re: Would you give up [message #2679253 is a reply to message #2678789 ] Mon, 18 June 2012 09:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Level 5

Well done! That's fantastic, and that is what I have been trying to do! (emphasis on trying). I'm doing everything to get him well, keep him sound, he starts to look good again, and then something else breaks, fix that problem, $, time, tlc etc etc, start working him again, starts to look good, and then something else breaks!

I know I'm being negative. But I am also concerned about him and what he may be trying to tell me. I don't know... Sigh.

If I had endless funds and room it wouldn't been an issue! I'd have 3 comp horses rotating!! (In my dreams, and also a nice looking groom to look after them all!! Laughing )
Re: Would you give up [message #2679291 is a reply to message #2679253 ] Mon, 18 June 2012 10:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  PanAllegra  
Step away from the computer,

I think, as a general rule, it is good for most horses to have a 'job' - especially as they enter their late teens, early twenties, the ones that stay in work don't seem to age as quckly.

Also, being a TB and racing hard, and then having a high level eventing career makes me think that he must have both a good work ethic and also be just used to working. My oldie had the same career path and was never truly happy when he didn't feel like he had a purpose - he needed a job.

Peppercorn Abbott (Pepper)(1987-2012) Le Roi est mort, vive le Roi!
Peppercorn Valley Penny Lane (Penny)
Fenwick Alexander (Alex)
Peppercorn Valley Albert (Albie) (Vale)
Peppercorn Valley Minka (Minky)
Manetheren Aslan (Legs)
Bromhund Flint (Flynn)
Re: Would you give up [message #2679368 is a reply to message #2678789 ] Mon, 18 June 2012 11:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  mamasue  
Completely Insane

GREAT story ... congratulations Smile
Re: Would you give up [message #2679424 is a reply to message #2678723 ] Mon, 18 June 2012 11:52 Go to previous message
  bizzibizzigirl  is currently offline bizzibizzigirl  
Completely Insane
Don't give up. All ours are in their late teens and not without their issues but only daughter's pony (turning 20 this year) is still out in the showring strutting his stuff. He's not worked hard, the showring is just for experience and to give her riding a goal.

I've got a well campaigned warmblood here with a pigeon toe and high ringbone in that foot which we found on x-rays but we still decided to buy him so hubby could learn and trail ride on him. He became sound from the first trim with our farrier. We've now taken his shoes off as he went a little lame again when the colder weather started. He's right again for now. For what we want, he's fit for and so he still has a purpose and therefore a 'job' to keep him active.

Another one with something going on that causes him to be 'just not right' sometimes, and fine others. He's been lazing around in the paddock unridden since December but is paddock sound and sound for trail riding, but perhaps not for bringing back into more demanding riding.

I've just bought an ex-racer myself, something I thought I'd never do Shocked and he's great. Has a great work ethic but he won't be worked too hard anyway. Mainly for trail and low-level showring stuff probably.

I guess it comes down to what you want to do. If you're wanting to compete him, perhaps he's not going to be sound enough overall for the greater workload to get him comp fit, but if you're happy trail riding him and wanted to do some low level showing/dressage with him, that might be right up his alley. You obviously love him, so maybe just shift the goalposts a little bit and see what happens.

Otherwise, if he's sound for trail riding, perhaps you might consider leasing him to someone for that purpose only which will free up your space to bring in something you can keep on competing with? That way you're not selling him, he's still yours, but if you find the right person for him, you'll know he's being useful and loved. 16's too young for full retirement.

Smile

http://i40.tinypic.com/211nvwi.jpg
Previous Topic:Pregnant Mare acting like a stallion!
Next Topic:Those who own heavy horses - add your stories & photos :)
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Apr 20 13:10:34 EST 2014

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02436 seconds

.:: Home ::.