[Home]       [Forum]       [Event Calendar]       [Forum Birthdays]

Home » Vichorse Forum » General - On Topic » Saddle help
Saddle help [message #2673874] Mon, 11 June 2012 16:08 Go to next message
  cee-bee  is currently offline cee-bee  
Level 4
Hi guys,

I've decided to get myself a dressage saddle for flat work as well as something comfy for trail riding.

I'm looking at both the Wintec Pro Contourbloc and the Wintec Isabel.

My position is okayyyy but being a trail rider for far longer than I've been an arena rider, my legs have a tendency of being forward and I also tend to sit a fair way back into the seat.

Has anyone got any feedback (good and bad) on these two saddles? Or recommendations of others? Has anyone tried to pop over small jumps in these also?

I want something affordable, and with easy change gullet.

Thanks heaps Smile
Clare
Re: Saddle help [message #2673930 is a reply to message #2673874 ] Mon, 11 June 2012 17:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  English Rose  is currently offline English Rose  
Its my party and I'll hoo haa if I want to
Get a good saddle fitter out to try a range of saddles on your horse to see what fits.

Neither of the saddles you like might suit.

I have a new model Isabel on my paint cross and the previous model Isabel on my TB. They fir different shaped horses.

I love both of them. I have jumped 1m in them, but I wouldn't really recommend that high, unless you're used to jumping!!
Re: Saddle help [message #2674103 is a reply to message #2673930 ] Mon, 11 June 2012 21:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  bentaj  is currently offline bentaj  
Level 3
I would say the Isabel but have a look at all your options and decide what is best for you and your horse.
P.S. English Rose, I have the same thing, new Isabel on my wider crossbreed and older Isabel on my TB Smile Love them both but they are very different
Re: Saddle help [message #2674215 is a reply to message #2673874 ] Mon, 11 June 2012 23:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  FCEH  
Stark, Raving Bonkers
The Isobel will definitely tilt your pelvis forward and push your leg back a little more than the plain dressage. It can feel a little odd at first - like your upper body wants to tip forward. Some people even get a bit of a sore lower back when getting used to the Isobel as they tend to hollow their back and poke their bum out a little. Having said that, once your body has started adapting itself I find the Isobel the most effortless saddle to ride in. The Contourbloc I rode in also had fixed blocks but the ones in the Isobel are removable, I like to take mine out for riding out on the trail and stick them back in when I am doing schooling. I can jump creeks, logs and negotiate the most awkward up and down hills in the Isobel with out a drama.
Re: Saddle help [message #2679050 is a reply to message #2673874 ] Sun, 17 June 2012 21:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Level 4
Thanks for your help!

Definitely looking at the older model isabell as a preference.

Any advice on fit for the horse? I've noticed on threads I've read that the older model seems to fit high withered horses best.

The horse I'm needing to fit is a 17hh Warmblood, currently has a wintec 2000 with a wide gullet fitted.

Does anyone have any advice as to whether the older model may fit or could be completely unusable on him compared to a 2000?

I'm buying second hand online so don't have the luxury of trialing but will get fitted once I recieve it. Just don't want to buy a saddle that will be completely wrong for him.
Re: Saddle help [message #2679060 is a reply to message #2679050 ] Sun, 17 June 2012 22:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  English Rose  is currently offline English Rose  
Its my party and I'll hoo haa if I want to
cee-bee wrote on Sun, 17 June 2012 21:57

Thanks for your help!

Definitely looking at the older model isabell as a preference.

Any advice on fit for the horse? I've noticed on threads I've read that the older model seems to fit high withered horses best.

The horse I'm needing to fit is a 17hh Warmblood, currently has a wintec 2000 with a wide gullet fitted.

Does anyone have any advice as to whether the older model may fit or could be completely unusable on him compared to a 2000?

I'm buying second hand online so don't have the luxury of trialing but will get fitted once I recieve it. Just don't want to buy a saddle that will be completely wrong for him.

Well the previous model doesn't fit my paint cross. According to my saddle fitter the new model was brought out to accomodate the warmbloods, so its likely that the old model won't fit your horse.

A good saddle fitter will be able to assess your horse and tell you which saddles and models will fit your horse. Really worth doing that first, rather than buying a saddle that will never fit 100%.
Re: Saddle help [message #2679075 is a reply to message #2673874 ] Sun, 17 June 2012 22:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Level 4
Thanks! I know it's a near on impossible question to answer. I think you're right though, best plan of attack is get a fitter out to check him then go saddle shopping. Any other experiences are more than welcome!
Re: Saddle help [message #2679111 is a reply to message #2679075 ] Sun, 17 June 2012 23:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  tiagem  is currently offline tiagem  
Completely Insane
cee-bee wrote on Sun, 17 June 2012 22:34

Thanks! I know it's a near on impossible question to answer. I think you're right though, best plan of attack is get a fitter out to check him then go saddle shopping. Any other experiences are more than welcome!

Completely agree. If you're anywhere near Cranbourne South Peter O'brien is out next Saturday at a very reasonable price.

I looked at quite a few for my TB. I sat in the Isabell and found the twist too wide for me (felt like I was sitting on a plank) and the contourbloc gave me the feeling of being locked in and being tilted forward. I didn't mind the dressage pro but ended up with an older model bates caprili.....can't wait to get it fitted (pay it off) and go riding Very Happy

Now having said all of that....I'm fitting a high withered, older TB and a rider with stumpy legs and an anterior tilt to the pelvis Rolls Eyes Laughing

When I got Peter to fit my other saddle he gave me some suggestions for dressage saddles, I went shopping from there Razz

"Growing up is realising that every single one of your problems is caused by you being a complete f@rking idiot"
Re: Saddle help [message #2679923 is a reply to message #2673874 ] Mon, 18 June 2012 19:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
EmilyJ  is currently offline EmilyJ  
Level 5
I found Luke at saddle world in Chirnside Park really helpful. I told him my budget and he brought out a heap of different saddles to try on my horse. It's important that it fits both you and your horse well.
I ended up with a thorowgood dressage saddle and LOVE it! It was also pretty affordable for a new saddle.
Luke was so helpful with fitting my horse and talking to me about saddle fitting in general and it was only $75 for him to come out so not too bad.

This wouldn't be Clare moving her new horse to Wallaby Park would it be? Just not that many Clares out there with 17hh warmbloods.
Re: Saddle help [message #2679976 is a reply to message #2673874 ] Mon, 18 June 2012 20:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Level 4
Haha it most certainly is Emily, this wouldn't be Emily I met the other day at Wallaby Park would it?

I've been very kindly offered a Wintec Contourbloc for a week to try it out, so very exciting, the saddle feels so secure, so time shall tell if it still feels that secure and comfortable when I'm actually on him!

Also, spoke to Peter O'Brien today, he was absolutely lovely and threw some suggestions my way, was very patient with my indecisiveness and many many questions!

[Updated on: Mon, 18 June 2012 20:39]

Re: Saddle help [message #2679982 is a reply to message #2673874 ] Mon, 18 June 2012 20:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  Neats  is currently offline Neats  
Level 1
Get the saddles out on the horse you intend to ride and ride in them with saddle fitter

I had a bates dressage, loved it on the dummy horse but on my horse it was a complete disaster

I now ride in a Stubben scandica (repossessed so brand new)) fitted and sold but the stubben dealer for australia, fantastic saddle for me and the horse plus didn't have the "stubben" price tag
Re: Saddle help [message #2680034 is a reply to message #2673874 ] Mon, 18 June 2012 21:28 Go to previous message
EmilyJ  is currently offline EmilyJ  
Level 5
Yep, it's me Smile
Good luck with the saddle choice, it's a killer of a task!
Previous Topic:Kieffer Wein Dressage Saddles
Next Topic:Getting a bit complacent around our trusted horses
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Nov 28 15:03:11 EST 2014

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02640 seconds

.:: Home ::.