[Home]       [Forum]       [Event Calendar]       [Forum Birthdays]

Home » Vichorse Forum » Dressage » Young rider dressage squad
Young rider dressage squad [message #2678761] Sun, 17 June 2012 16:13 Go to next message
  horses_212  is currently offline horses_212  
Level 4
Hi
I was wanting to join the young rider dressage squad next year and was wondering what kind of scores I would need in prelim or novice to get in? I'm also unsure when the entries open and the space to get performances in order to qualify?
Thanks Smile
Re: Young rider dressage squad [message #2678776 is a reply to message #2678761 ] Sun, 17 June 2012 16:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  abigail123  is currently offline abigail123  
Level 1 - Advanced
Depending on your age and horses height, I think you need to be scoring over 60% in Novice.
To get on one of the Pony Dressage Squads (you also have to be 12 or under) I think you need to score 55% and higher in Prelim/Novice.

If you want to be considered I think it's six official performances and they will accept one unofficial.

You need to remember that you're competing up against hundreds of other young riders who also want a place on the squad and there are only so many places that can be filled, so you need to consistency getting good scores.

ETA- You also have to submit your application and usually a letter from your coach.

[Updated on: Sun, 17 June 2012 16:34]

Re: Young rider dressage squad [message #2678982 is a reply to message #2678776 ] Sun, 17 June 2012 20:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  Lulu  
This computer will self destruct in 10 posts
You don't have to be under 12 to be on Pony Squad. Just under 22 Smile
If you compete regularly or even semi regularly in official EA competition at ANY level, apply.
You might be surprised Smile
Re: Young rider dressage squad [message #2679120 is a reply to message #2678982 ] Mon, 18 June 2012 00:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  pete  
Level 1
I may be opening a can of worms here but I've never known anybody to be knocked back, even with only ONE score of 60% in official Novice competition. So if it's what you want, contact the EA/EV and get some paperwork! Oh - don't forget to record your results.
Re: Young rider dressage squad [message #2679633 is a reply to message #2678761 ] Mon, 18 June 2012 15:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  gumby n basil  is currently offline gumby n basil  
Level 1
The rules have changed greatly since the beginnings of the YR Squad when you had to be selected on performances and also try out in front of two Level 3 coaches/selectors. Back then there were only 3 squads of ten riders. These days just about everyone who applies gets in (and there are heaps). I have known lower level Pony Club riders who have never even competed in EA to be accepted! As long as you dont mind paying the fees (which are considerable) and are able to volunteer at comps etc its probably worth doing. Just dont be fooled into thinking that is't still an elite rider group, it's not!
Re: Young rider dressage squad [message #2680041 is a reply to message #2679633 ] Mon, 18 June 2012 21:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  pete  
Level 1
gumby n basil wrote on Mon, 18 June 2012 15:15

The rules have changed greatly since the beginnings of the YR Squad when you had to be selected on performances and also try out in front of two Level 3 coaches/selectors. Back then there were only 3 squads of ten riders. These days just about everyone who applies gets in (and there are heaps). I have known lower level Pony Club riders who have never even competed in EA to be accepted! As long as you dont mind paying the fees (which are considerable) and are able to volunteer at comps etc its probably worth doing. Just dont be fooled into thinking that is't still an elite rider group, it's not!

Agreed. It's a fair expense each year and the volunteering expectations are quite high but if you can afford it and live close enough to put the volunteer hours in then go for it. They do get some very good instructors.
Re: Young rider dressage squad [message #2680626 is a reply to message #2680041 ] Tue, 19 June 2012 15:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  Rickey.a  is currently offline Rickey.a  
This computer will self destruct in 10 posts
I looked into it for my nephew at one stage. I was told that it was around $800 a year to be a member? If you had a small group of like minded and keen young riders in your area, couldnt you form your own young rider group and choose the instructors that you like? It would probably be much better value and the riders would probably get more out of it? Just a thought?
Re: Young rider dressage squad [message #2680692 is a reply to message #2680626 ] Tue, 19 June 2012 17:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  horses_212  is currently offline horses_212  
Level 4
Thats true..
I am slightly worried about the expectations for volunteering because I am at uni full time and have a lot of work to do within my degree. I would not be able to attend many competitions where I will only be volunteering, as its hard enough to get out competing when I am at uni!

I have seen some good instructors, but most of them have coached the higher level squads. Just wondering if the lower level squads would also get good instructors to make it worthwhile? I would only be in the lower groups because my horse is prelim/novice at the moment and is only a baby.
Interesting to hear everyone's thoughts about the squad though Smile
Re: Young rider dressage squad [message #2687281 is a reply to message #2678761 ] Wed, 27 June 2012 09:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  chestnutrider  is currently offline chestnutrider  
Completely Insane
All of the groups get great instruction but the only problem I found was they changed instructors with people over the year. I would have rathered one instructor for the year who could work on developing me and my horse rather than going into a lesson and explaining my level and issues to each new instructor.

I enjoyed some of it, but definitely was over priced for what you got. Definitely set me up for competition and presentation though!
Re: Young rider dressage squad [message #2688586 is a reply to message #2679120 ] Thu, 28 June 2012 18:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  carriage diva  
Step away from the computer,
pete wrote on Mon, 18 June 2012 00:04

I may be opening a can of worms here but I've never known anybody to be knocked back, even with only ONE score of 60% in official Novice competition. So if it's what you want, contact the EA/EV and get some paperwork! Oh - don't forget to record your results.

I was going to say the same, and what do you need..... an open cheque book. Shocked

http://i1203.photobucket.com/albums/bb389/DeeJayPonies/My%20Carriage%20Ponies/bratsrunning_zps9a4d3d7a.jpg
Re: Young rider dressage squad [message #2697264 is a reply to message #2678761 ] Tue, 10 July 2012 10:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  Eventer1991  is currently offline Eventer1991  
Level 1 - Advanced
i was on it in 2010/2011.... basically as long as you have the $$$ you can get on.... i applied with NO official EA test and got in..... i think its a waist of money. $700 to have 8 30min shared lessons. anyone can get one. now the eventing and SJ squad you actually need talent to get on to as they limit there numbers not have 50-100 ppl on it.

[b]Eventing[b] The only sport where your legally required to have your medical info strapped to you arm Smile
Re: Young rider dressage squad [message #2697965 is a reply to message #2678761 ] Wed, 11 July 2012 02:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  shining08  is currently offline shining08  
Stark, Raving Bonkers

It is a good deal of money for 6 weekends at werribee,
but the trainers are all very well respected within the scene and you meet a lot of young dressage at the same time.
It's given me the stepping stone I needed from PC to EA, I think it's great to start to build a name for yourself if you're serious about it, it's great to have on a CV too Smile
Re: Young rider dressage squad [message #2700475 is a reply to message #2678761 ] Fri, 13 July 2012 22:17 Go to previous message
  Lorraine  is currently offline Lorraine  
Level 1 - Advanced
My daughter has been on Squad for 4 years now.

The application process is clearly stated on the entry forms, I am unsure about others but we have always submitted at least the minimum requirements.

This year you were also required to submit a letter from your instructor.

The lessons are only a small component of Squad, they have personal training, mentoring, comp preparation, planning and achieving goals and lots more invaluable training.

Also allowing to build great friendships and support bases and meeting kids who all have similar passions.

Squad may only run for 5 or 6 weekends, but what the kids and parents get out of it, we happily hand over our money.

I think the application process was alot more stringent this year as well Smile

Apply, hopefully you will love it like we do Smile
Previous Topic:Saddlebreds in Dressage
Next Topic:For all you bitless
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 17 02:18:36 EST 2014

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02456 seconds
.:: Home ::.