[Home]       [Forum]       [Event Calendar]       [Forum Birthdays]

Home » Vichorse Forum » General - On Topic » horses falling in the paddock.
horses falling in the paddock. [message #2680029] Mon, 18 June 2012 21:23 Go to next message
  sunnys lodge  is currently offline sunnys lodge  
Level 3
Has anyone witnessed a horse fall in the paddock? early sunday morning my 28yo was hooning like a 3yo when his front legs went out from under him, he skidded on his chest then sumersaulted sideways, rolling over his neck so his head was on his sholder then he just layed there. meanwhile my 9 and 7 year old daughters were screaming and asking if he was dead, which i was worried about. when he finally got to his feet he was very wobbly and stagering backwards. once i checked him over he seemed fine. He has been having bute in his dinner but he actually seems perkier since it happend. Have been wondering if I should give him less room to run around in.
Re: horses falling in the paddock. [message #2680045 is a reply to message #2680029 ] Mon, 18 June 2012 21:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  Neisje  is currently offline Neisje  
Out of my way, I am in the midst of a hoo haa monologue
Lots of horses fall over. Can be from slippery ground, hitting a rough spot, hooning and not paying attention to where they are going etc. Given his age he probably isn't as steady on his feet as he likes to think he is. If he's not doing it on a regular basis then its probably just a once off 'being a twit and lost his footing' type thing, but if he starts stumbling and/or falling all the time then it could be a problem so get him check by a vet.

Live your life in such a way that when your feet hit the floor in the morning, Satan shudders & says...
'Oh ****...she's awake!!'
Re: horses falling in the paddock. [message #2680058 is a reply to message #2680029 ] Mon, 18 June 2012 22:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  gojumpingxx  is currently offline gojumpingxx  
Level 2
I've had it happen heaps over the years as my paddocks are quite hilly. Most have just resulted in minor scrapes and bruising. Had one that resulted in a strained stifle and needed about 4 weeks out. One who caught the inside of his elbow with a shoe and sliced it open. And the worst was a fractured pelvis, he had to be PTS.

Horses, horses, horses!
Re: horses falling in the paddock. [message #2680162 is a reply to message #2680029 ] Tue, 19 June 2012 01:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  Shonnie  is currently offline Shonnie  
Unstoppable, ungaggable, unzippable
I've seen heaps of horses fall over. They're just like people they trip sometimes too. Especially babies who are just learning about where their feet are. Keep an eye on him, if he's staggering around tomorrow then call a vet, but if he's not no harm done.
Re: horses falling in the paddock. [message #2680166 is a reply to message #2680162 ] Tue, 19 June 2012 01:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  Caramello  is currently offline Caramello  
Level 3
i have seen a couple of babies have their legs go in all directions from under them

and my old standy used to hoon and be a bit unco too!

Don't confuse my personality and my attitude. My personality is who I am, my attitude depends on who you are...
Re: horses falling in the paddock. [message #2680181 is a reply to message #2680029 ] Tue, 19 June 2012 05:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  Groucho  
The forum drove me to drink. Remind me to thank it.
sunnys lodge wrote on Mon, 18 June 2012 21:23

Has anyone witnessed a horse fall in the paddock? early sunday morning my 28yo was hooning like a 3yo when his front legs went out from under him, he skidded on his chest then sumersaulted sideways, rolling over his neck so his head was on his sholder then he just layed there. meanwhile my 9 and 7 year old daughters were screaming and asking if he was dead, which i was worried about. when he finally got to his feet he was very wobbly and stagering backwards. once i checked him over he seemed fine. He has been having bute in his dinner but he actually seems perkier since it happend. Have been wondering if I should give him less room to run around in.

Thats a bit scary, and if he was wobbly when he got up...Id definitely have someone to check him for nerve damage in the spine/poll

Horses stack it all the time, I have a few who's sense of fun dont match their sense of coordination Rolls Eyes Laughing and ALOT of injuries can happen in the paddock...

All that said if he looks fine then he probably is...I certainly wouldnt be containing a 28 year old too much as that hooning and freedom of space is doing his joints the world of good (when he stays upright)
Re: horses falling in the paddock. [message #2680221 is a reply to message #2680029 ] Tue, 19 June 2012 07:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  carriage diva  
This computer will self destruct in 10 posts
Probably just the shock of hitting the ground and it hurt more than when he was 4(I get that!). I would watch him over the next day or so, and the bute is probably a good idea. Dont confine him, he probably has a bit of a hoon more often than you know and who would want to take that away from the silly old buggar. My 59yo OH is still known to climb the odd tree.... I shake my head, but he likes it, so I let him be.

http://i1203.photobucket.com/albums/bb389/DeeJayPonies/My%20Carriage%20Ponies/bratsrunning_zps9a4d3d7a.jpg
Re: horses falling in the paddock. [message #2680449 is a reply to message #2680029 ] Tue, 19 June 2012 12:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  chopin  is currently offline chopin  
prob wouldnt hurt to get a massage or acupuncture or something, I know when I go arse over, I'm off to the osteopath Very Happy

My gelding went over a few years back, the paddock sloped down to a dam, and I had 3 diet paddocks on the side where it was flatter, well I let Chopin out, he started to run across the hill, next minute all 4 legs shot out under him facing the dam, he slid on his side about 4 horse lengths, laid there for a few seconds, then got up, shook, looked up the hill as if to say fark me.

he was about 24/25yo. I did the same and gave him bute for a couple days and just kept an eye on him. Didnt know any chiros or anything back then, but he was a tough little pony.

I agree, keep the old guys moving, dont contain them. If there is a real slippery bit, maybe fence it off

hope he is ok though
Re: horses falling in the paddock. [message #2680474 is a reply to message #2680029 ] Tue, 19 June 2012 12:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  Isaboe  
Its my party and I'll hoo haa if I want to
Mine has done it numerous times Rolls Eyes Hooning around and slipped, chasing another horse which turns on a five cent piece but she cant but the funniest time was when she was having a roll and rolled into the creek Laughing Found out that day that horses get sh!tty when embarrased. Laughing I can laugh because she wasnt hurt before anybody thinks Im a mean cow.
Re: horses falling in the paddock. [message #2680487 is a reply to message #2680029 ] Tue, 19 June 2012 12:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  *kayty*  is currently offline *kayty*  
Level 2
Mine do it quite often, as like a poster above, our paddocks are quite slopey and are clay based.
My youngster (now 19 months) is a real rev head and if he wants to go somewhere, he HAS to gallop there!! I found him last week running circles around the top of the dam, sliding all over the buck having a great time, I just had to close my eyes and beg for the crazy baby years to be over Laughing
He has also taken to playing with the dogs, he's never agressive towards them, just follows them around the paddock making friends - if they run, he runs behind them. A few months ago we'd just had rain and the paddocks were very slippery, Billy took off after the dog down a hill, front legs slipped and he ended up sliding about 30m down the hill sitting on his bum, front legs between hind legs like a dog. He sat for a few moments, turned his head and looked at me, then very sheepishly got to his feet Laughing

~Horse & Hound Artistry~
Email: equineartist@horseandhoundartistry.com
Re: horses falling in the paddock. [message #2680777 is a reply to message #2680029 ] Tue, 19 June 2012 19:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  Courtz  is currently offline Courtz  
Level 4
My big fella falls over regulary, you would think he would learn to slow down around the corners but he insists he needs to go that fast around the paddock Evil or Very Mad . I check his back over each time before I work him or he is quick to let me know when I get on. He also seems to be able to time it that he will do it and hurt himself right before a big comp.I don't think he will get any better either, he is 13 and has been doing it since I got him when he was 7.
Re: horses falling in the paddock. [message #2680857 is a reply to message #2680029 ] Tue, 19 June 2012 20:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  hippypippa  is currently offline hippypippa  
Stark, Raving Bonkers
Poor old Sunny Crying or Very Sad First the cushings, now this. He may be feeling better because of the medication, not realizing he is not quite right.
Re: horses falling in the paddock. [message #2684009 is a reply to message #2680029 ] Fri, 22 June 2012 21:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  sunnys lodge  is currently offline sunnys lodge  
Level 3
well sunny is feeling much better now Very Happy he is moving freely and not showing any signs of soreness, silly old bugger. tonight there were fireworks going off down the road and i happend to be at the paddock, they all hooned around at first then just stood and watched the pretty lights Laughing will be moving them all out of agistment soon and on to our new rental that is on 5 acres so he will get plenty of tlc.
Re: horses falling in the paddock. [message #2684479 is a reply to message #2680029 ] Sat, 23 June 2012 14:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  zela100  is currently offline zela100  
Level 1
My OH's reining bred baby was hooning then did a sliding stop but his back legs went out from under him....he looked embarrassed....

I love my Quarter Horses!
Re: horses falling in the paddock. [message #2684508 is a reply to message #2684479 ] Sat, 23 June 2012 15:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  Bats79  is currently offline Bats79  
zela100 wrote on Sat, 23 June 2012 14:41

My OH's reining bred baby was hooning then did a sliding stop but his back legs went out from under him....he looked embarrassed....

One of those "I meant to do that" moments. Laughing

http://www.vgp.com.au/Writing-paper.jpg

Brokeford Holsteiners website - photos and videos http://www.brokeford.com.au
Re: horses falling in the paddock. [message #2684538 is a reply to message #2680029 ] Sat, 23 June 2012 16:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  hubbas-mum  
Out of my way, I am in the midst of a hoo haa monologue

Our old pony is very skillful at going A over T, he does it quite often.
He just picks himself up and keeps on going, while I panic and rush down to see him.

I have begun to relax a little bit more when he is hooning, but I still don't like it one little bit.

Mumma of the Hubba
Re: horses falling in the paddock. [message #2684600 is a reply to message #2684508 ] Sat, 23 June 2012 18:14 Go to previous message
  zela100  is currently offline zela100  
Level 1
Bats79 wrote on Sat, 23 June 2012 15:53

zela100 wrote on Sat, 23 June 2012 14:41

One of those "I meant to do that" moments. Laughing

Ha ha...yes, then he came limping over to me for a cuddle...lucky it must have just been some pulled muscles (pride)

I love my Quarter Horses!
Previous Topic:Is there any Natural Horsemanship instructors
Next Topic:Some supplement advice/opinions please
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Nov 28 08:49:53 EST 2014

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02580 seconds

.:: Home ::.