[Home]       [Forum]       [Event Calendar]       [Forum Birthdays]

Home » Vichorse Forum » General - On Topic » Presentation of horses for sale !
Presentation of horses for sale ! [message #2693081] Thu, 05 July 2012 08:54 Go to next message
  dooz  is currently offline dooz  
Troppo. Loco. Round the twist.
I have been looking for a new horse for probably 6mths.
Have talked to LOTS over the phone, which cuts out a lot of unsuitable ones.
And have viewed and ridden quite a few now.

I am just amazed at the state that people present a horse for sale in.
Bar one (which is the one I am hoping to purchase) all have looked pretty terrible !

And I am not looking in a cheap price bracket either.

Nearly all have had TERRIBLE feet.
Not just missing one farrier appointment, feet have been totally left. Shoes fallen off, seedy toe, extremely long cracked feet.
Teeth not done.
LOTS very light on.

My horses get their teeth done regularly,
feet done every 4-6 weeks,
wormed,
fed what they need etc.
Isn't that just basic horse care ?
My horses aren't for sale, and both of them look a sight lot better than most of the horses I have seen lately !

Clearly a lot of people's version of basic care differs from mine.

Vent over.........

http://i.imgur.com/9kNfN.jpg
Re: Presentation of horses for sale ! [message #2693091 is a reply to message #2693081 ] Thu, 05 July 2012 09:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  artepko  
Completely Insane
The feet is the thing I have noticed most of all. I think every single horse I have been to look at has had feet in need of trimming/shoeing.
It's like they decide they are going to sell, so don't bother caring for the horse anymore. Confused

IF YOU WANT SOMETHING DONE, DO IT YOURSELF.
Re: Presentation of horses for sale ! [message #2693098 is a reply to message #2693091 ] Thu, 05 July 2012 09:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  fruitloop  
Step away from the computer,
I too noticed this when looking for a new pal, but other things for me like a really long bridal path that would take 30 seconds to trim, shoes off or too long so they dont work properly cause they are sitting back on there feet, covered in mud and cuts, dreadlock in their mane, make long and filthy, tail scraggly, not even brushed?? and the light on one was a huge issue for me...that meant a) horse is hard to keep or b) owner doesnt take good care of horse and probably never has and damage could have been done lol

everything happens for a reason.....
Re: Presentation of horses for sale ! [message #2693113 is a reply to message #2693081 ] Thu, 05 July 2012 09:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  rustynuts4ever  is currently offline rustynuts4ever  
Level 2
I went to look at a shetland for my daughter and was suprised to find the pony still in the paddoc way down the back with the heard.
We walked all the way down to the paddoc she was in and that's it, no ride just a look.
The lady didn't ever concider bringing her up so we could ride, she just expected me to take her.
That was the end of that, what a wast of my time. Evil or Very Mad

I dont know what people are thinking?? Sad
Re: Presentation of horses for sale ! [message #2693115 is a reply to message #2693113 ] Thu, 05 July 2012 09:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  fruitloop  
rustynuts4ever wrote on Thu, 05 July 2012 09:26

I went to look at a shetland for my daughter and was suprised to find the pony still in the paddoc way down the back with the heard.
We walked all the way down to the paddoc she was in and that's it, no ride just a look.
The lady didn't ever concider bringing her up so we could ride, she just expected me to take her.

See when I was selling my horse I always asked the people if they wanted me to bring him up or not...some people like to see how easy they are to catch?

everything happens for a reason.....
Re: Presentation of horses for sale ! [message #2693119 is a reply to message #2693081 ] Thu, 05 July 2012 09:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  Hacker  
This computer will self destruct in 10 posts
For the few horses I have sold I have left them in the paddock and called them up so the prospective buyer can see how easy they are to catch. Mind you, a few times I had to troop down and drag the one I wanted back as they decided not to come up at that particular moment Embarassed

As for feet, teeth, etc mine were always done before the horse went anywhere, on top of regular maintenance. Once the trimmer was coming the next day so feet were not in perfect condition but I explained that to the buyer and they understood! Working full time means trimming only took place on the weekends.

I always brushed the horse or pony, but have been caught unawares by prospective buyers turning up very early or even the day after they said they would come!!

There is no excuse for emancipated horses for sale though. 'Light on' can sometimes go hand in hand with no work (some people believe no work = no extra feed for horsey) and some horses look thin without muscle and topline due to no work. But it's easy to tell the difference between a horse who is not in work and a horse who is starving!

The reality is, if someone really wants to sell the horse it will be presented nicely and if it's rideable, will be made available to ride for the prospective new home. If its not presented nicely, either the person who is selling it is subtly telling you they don't want to sell it to you, or they are just lazy!
Re: Presentation of horses for sale ! [message #2693130 is a reply to message #2693115 ] Thu, 05 July 2012 09:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  rustynuts4ever  is currently offline rustynuts4ever  
Level 2
fruitloop wrote on Thu, 05 July 2012 09:30

rustynuts4ever wrote on Thu, 05 July 2012 09:26

See when I was selling my horse I always asked the people if they wanted me to bring him up or not...some people like to see how easy they are to catch?

Thats fine, you asked !!
As I have said that she didn't even want to bring her up to ride?? Razz Smile
Should say when byeing a pony for a 5yld child I think ONE of the most important things to see is the child riding the pony as well woudn't you think. Smile
The whole kit and kaboodal would have been great. Laughing

[Updated on: Thu, 05 July 2012 09:47]

Re: Presentation of horses for sale ! [message #2693145 is a reply to message #2693091 ] Thu, 05 July 2012 09:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  PanAllegra  
artepko wrote on Thu, 05 July 2012 09:05

The feet is the thing I have noticed most of all. I think every single horse I have been to look at has had feet in need of trimming/shoeing.
It's like they decide they are going to sell, so don't bother caring for the horse anymore. Confused

That has been my experience as well (in a wide range of price brackets).

One of the horses I looked at was being sold by the boyfriend of a professional groom. The horse was waiting in cross ties, and groomed to the nines. It was impressive - although I felt intimidated.

The advantage of the horse being paddock condition is that you get to see it at its worse - and also get to watch the lovely swan emerge when you take it on, fix the feet, get the feed right, etc.

Peppercorn Abbott (Pepper)(1987-2012) Le Roi est mort, vive le Roi!
Peppercorn Valley Penny Lane (Penny)
Fenwick Alexander (Alex)
Peppercorn Valley Albert (Albie) (Vale)
Peppercorn Valley Minka (Minky)
Manetheren Aslan (Legs)
Bromhund Flint (Flynn)
Re: Presentation of horses for sale ! [message #2693163 is a reply to message #2693081 ] Thu, 05 July 2012 10:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  martina  is currently offline martina  
The forum drove me to drink. Remind me to thank it.
Nope, haven't had that experience .... Well, yes with my feral pony but I knew that before I went to pick him up. He still wasn't cheap, as he has great breeding lines, but I am lucky I could break him in myself.
Where ever else I go, the horses are in the $4k - $35+k range and are always turned out nice. Maybe not quiet show ready look, but all clean and well looked after.
Depends if the horses are in work or people have lost interest etc. .... No excuse for not getting their feet done and I would point that out.
Presentation and condition of the horse can make or lose the seller lot's of $$$$$
Cheers MARTINA

Visit The City Barn

index.php?t=getfile&id=468031&private=0

Re: Presentation of horses for sale ! [message #2693171 is a reply to message #2693081 ] Thu, 05 July 2012 10:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  Carrielou  is currently offline Carrielou  
Completely Insane
When I was out hunting earlier this year, I was happy to see paddock ferals. But I was looking at unbroken young horses. I did however notice those whose feet had been trimmed vs those who hadn't, those who had been fed right since birth vs those left on just grass. Didn't see any skinny ones, but there was a noticeable difference with those who's diet had been carefully planned all their life.

I did try to look at some from a big stud, and they wouldn't make a time for me to come until that batch of youngsters had been brought in, stabled and fed, manes pulled etc. told them I was looking now, not in a month or twos time, cos I was on holidays and had time for horse hunting and seeing them straight from the paddock didn't worry me. Still wouldn't let me see them as paddock ferals. By the time they called me back, I already had my gorgeous paddock feral sitting in my paddock becoming less feral by the day! And im not talking different price brackets either, so they would have been wasting their time and money on tarting their babies up for me. So they lost a potential sale all because they wouldn't show me their youngsters as paddock ferals.

Different story if I'm looking at older ridden horses. Ive looked at plenty of those with feet, teeth, feed and worm issues. Makes me sad, and yes, I believe it's just the attitude of getting rid of horse so don't care anymore (if they ever did).

Re: Presentation of horses for sale ! [message #2693180 is a reply to message #2693081 ] Thu, 05 July 2012 10:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  FCEH  
Stark, Raving Bonkers
People are funny aren't they? I look at horses all the time...bad feet, not been brushed for ages, no idea of last dental check or if vaccines are up to date....

Hubby and I recently went to look at a gelding. When I arrived the horse was in the small house paddock. Owner asked if I wanted to catch him or her. His feet had been trimmed within the last day or two, bridle path and billy goat and jowel hair freshly trimmed. He'd had a bath recently and was lovely and clean and tail and mane combed out.

The horse had been out of work for a few months but he still looked lovely. Owner asked if we wanted her to ride him first or did one of us want to ride and I noticed a couple of different styles of saddles neatly hanging nearby. He was the height advertised.

His paperwork, breed certificate,branding and gelding receipts, growing up photos and photos of both parents were in a folder nearby. Had a list of records for feet, dental and vaccines.

Needless to say the horse is happily here with me and the old owner and I touch base every couple of weeks. We both feel really happy with the outcome.

She even insisted I take home some bales of their hay to help his adjustment to his new home easier!
Re: Presentation of horses for sale ! [message #2693188 is a reply to message #2693180 ] Thu, 05 July 2012 10:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  dooz  is currently offline dooz  
Troppo. Loco. Round the twist.
FCEH wrote on Thu, 05 July 2012 10:13

People are funny aren't they? I look at horses all the time...bad feet, not been brushed for ages, no idea of last dental check or if vaccines are up to date....

Hubby and I recently went to look at a gelding. When I arrived the horse was in the small house paddock. Owner asked if I wanted to catch him or her. His feet had been trimmed within the last day or two, bridle path and billy goat and jowel hair freshly trimmed. He'd had a bath recently and was lovely and clean and tail and mane combed out.

The horse had been out of work for a few months but he still looked lovely. Owner asked if we wanted her to ride him first or did one of us want to ride and I noticed a couple of different styles of saddles neatly hanging nearby. He was the height advertised.

His paperwork, breed certificate,branding and gelding receipts, growing up photos and photos of both parents were in a folder nearby. Had a list of records for feet, dental and vaccines.

Needless to say the horse is happily here with me and the old owner and I touch base every couple of weeks. We both feel really happy with the outcome.

She even insisted I take home some bales of their hay to help his adjustment to his new home easier!

WOW !
thats how it should be.
but it very rarely is !

http://i.imgur.com/9kNfN.jpg
Re: Presentation of horses for sale ! [message #2693192 is a reply to message #2693081 ] Thu, 05 July 2012 10:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  leec  is currently offline leec  
Completely Insane
Recently I have been in the horse hunting market for the second time and was totally astounded at the state of some of the horses that I looked at. All that I looked at were under weight, untended feet, owners didn't recall the last time their teeth were done, wormed or whether their tetanus shot was up to date. I truly was dismayed, one particular horse was on the verge of being a rescue case, and the seller wanted $5k! It was a very disappointing time.

Luckily for me, I found my new friend, I bought him sight unseen, from video footage and also had a trial period. It was very nerve wracking, but when he came off the float, after 3 days of travel, he was everything I was expecting, thank goodness.
Re: Presentation of horses for sale ! [message #2693193 is a reply to message #2693171 ] Thu, 05 July 2012 10:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  Lovesagoodpaint  
Carrielou wrote on Thu, 05 July 2012 10:06

When I was out hunting earlier this year, I was happy to see paddock ferals. But I was looking at unbroken young horses. I did however notice those whose feet had been trimmed vs those who hadn't, those who had been fed right since birth vs those left on just grass. Didn't see any skinny ones, but there was a noticeable difference with those who's diet had been carefully planned all their life.

I did try to look at some from a big stud, and they wouldn't make a time for me to come until that batch of youngsters had been brought in, stabled and fed, manes pulled etc. told them I was looking now, not in a month or twos time, cos I was on holidays and had time for horse hunting and seeing them straight from the paddock didn't worry me. Still wouldn't let me see them as paddock ferals. By the time they called me back, I already had my gorgeous paddock feral sitting in my paddock becoming less feral by the day! And im not talking different price brackets either, so they would have been wasting their time and money on tarting their babies up for me. So they lost a potential sale all because they wouldn't show me their youngsters as paddock ferals.

Different story if I'm looking at older ridden horses. Ive looked at plenty of those with feet, teeth, feed and worm issues. Makes me sad, and yes, I believe it's just the attitude of getting rid of horse so don't care anymore (if they ever did).

To be honest that red bit sounds pretty professional to me ... my gut feeling is they know what there stock is worth and take pride in them and there was no way they were going to have any one barter them down in price because of the condition (ferrel) they were presented in. I actually think they were very smart.

I had my filly for sale for a whiole of 4 days Embarassed and I made a video for her (the day I took her off the market Laughing ) I went to the trouble of even banding up her mane, clipping her face up so she looked neat and tidy, cleaning up her socks etc... I was asking a bit for her and I figured it was only fair.

The other thing I wanted to point out is that feet and things like that may have been left because they simply couldnt afford to do them ... times are tough at the moment and I know I would sooner put food in my horses belly than have there feet done ... this could be the reason why the horse is for sale ... of course there is no excuse if the owner is simply upgrading etc... but sometimes you have to scratch the surface a little for an explanation to you why?... feet can be trimmed (provided they havnt been left to keep themselves for 6, 8 10 months)

Everyone wants happiness no one wants pain, Yet you cant have a Rainbow without the Rain!
Re: Presentation of horses for sale ! [message #2693202 is a reply to message #2693081 ] Thu, 05 July 2012 10:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  martina  is currently offline martina  
The forum drove me to drink. Remind me to thank it.
Yep, I agree .... that stud is very professional and they are not sorry to miss out on one potential sale.
I know for a fact, that they get a LOT of money for their Young stock and rightly so. Excellent breeding and presentation and preparation (handling)!
Went to a foal auction there ones and it was like being back home in Germany Cool
Foals neck lines and hindquarters were clipped out, they were even plaited and looked stunning.
Cheers MARTINA

Visit The City Barn

index.php?t=getfile&id=468031&private=0

Re: Presentation of horses for sale ! [message #2693218 is a reply to message #2693081 ] Thu, 05 July 2012 10:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  DerbyDowns  
Stark, Raving Bonkers
Feet are my pet hate Mad Mad Mad I now ask over the phone when the horse was last shod/trimmed? if trimmed is the horse normally trimmed? The amount of horses I have gone to see that are missing a shoe and/or foot sore, this makes me soooooo angry, how can I possibly tell if the horse is normally sound or for that matter even expect it to work while foot sore. My husband (a farrier) has even re-shod a horse we went to see, I really liked the horse but there was no way I was even going to ride it with feet so long it was surely months since the last farrier visit and 2 shoes missing. There is no way I would let anyone view a horse I had for sale with feet like that. It is a total waste of the buyers time, makes me soooooo mad Mad Mad Mad

Any horse I have ever sold goes with recent farrier care, wormed, teeth done, vaccinated, recent chiro/bioscan/massage/etc. visit, at least a basic trim up/mane pulled etc. But then I this is how my horses are kept all the time.

Especially at the moment while it is such a buyers market, it is so important to present horses decently.

http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii75/BeeGee7789/TPLEllavation.jpg
TPL Ellavation @ 18 months
Re: Presentation of horses for sale ! [message #2693245 is a reply to message #2693193 ] Thu, 05 July 2012 11:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Completely Insane
Lovesagoodpaint wrote on Thu, 05 July 2012 10:23

To be honest that red bit sounds pretty professional to me ... my gut feeling is they know what there stock is worth and take pride in them and there was no way they were going to have any one barter them down in price because of the condition (ferrel) they were presented in. I actually think they were very smart.

I had my filly for sale for a whiole of 4 days Embarassed and I made a video for her (the day I took her off the market Laughing ) I went to the trouble of even banding up her mane, clipping her face up so she looked neat and tidy, cleaning up her socks etc... I was asking a bit for her and I figured it was only fair.

The other thing I wanted to point out is that feet and things like that may have been left because they simply couldnt afford to do them ... times are tough at the moment and I know I would sooner put food in my horses belly than have there feet done ... this could be the reason why the horse is for sale ... of course there is no excuse if the owner is simply upgrading etc... but sometimes you have to scratch the surface a little for an explanation to you why?... feet can be trimmed (provided they havnt been left to keep themselves for 6, 8 10 months)

Professional yes, but I wasn't planning on haggling on price based on feralness and made that pretty clear to them. Given how much trouble they're having at the moment selling their young stock ( like every other breeder out there), would've thought they'd bend over backwards for a genuine potential buyer with cash to spend!
Re: Presentation of horses for sale ! [message #2693252 is a reply to message #2693245 ] Thu, 05 July 2012 11:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  Lovesagoodpaint  
Carrielou wrote on Thu, 05 July 2012 11:08

Professional yes, but I wasn't planning on haggling on price based on feralness and made that pretty clear to them. Given how much trouble they're having at the moment selling their young stock ( like every other breeder out there), would've thought they'd bend over backwards for a genuine potential buyer with cash to spend!

How many times do you think they would have heard that line before though ... I dont see the problem really, if they didnt want to present there stock to you in crappy ferrel paddock condition cudo's to them ... you have a smelly attitude im affraid to say ... it stunk in the "how bad is the market" thread ... you seem to think that all owners should be giving there horses away and begging potential buyers to take them ... I take my hat off to owners/breeders who dont bow dont to potential buyers like you.

Everyone wants happiness no one wants pain, Yet you cant have a Rainbow without the Rain!
Re: Presentation of horses for sale ! [message #2693254 is a reply to message #2693245 ] Thu, 05 July 2012 11:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  carluke  
Unstoppable, ungaggable, unzippable

I know a number of studs that close there doors in winter because they don't want people to see there horses in winter condition and make the assumption that they can pick them up cheap.... Just because the market is bad, doesn't mean all breeders are struggling ...

Edited cause I didn't ready wasn't right Embarassed

[Updated on: Thu, 05 July 2012 11:17]

www.carlukecollies.com.au
www.carlukearabians.com

Yes, i know that i can't spell ....
Re: Presentation of horses for sale ! [message #2693258 is a reply to message #2693081 ] Thu, 05 July 2012 11:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  Russinka  is currently offline Russinka  
Level 1 - Advanced
Presentation and general horse care is so important in sales horses.I can remember going to Echuca a few years back and watching a first hand demo of this:

Horse A was a five year dark bay TB mare who was straight of the track, like had raced that Sat and was in the sales on the wednesday. She was shiny, clean, her mane and tail neatly pulled and still had her racing plates on. Stood about 15.3hh and probably would have made a nice PC horse. Pretty and nice conformed just slow.

Horse B was also a young TB mare she was lighter bay with a cute star and socks. She'd been in the paddock a few months, was shaggy as a yak, had bad feet and was mud incrusted. She had a nice head and was also nicely put together. Probably stood at 16.1hh.

Both mares were ridden through the ring and were quiet but green.

Horse A made $600 and Horse B $250ish...

It's stuck with me because it was the first time I'd really seen what a hugh difference presentation can make to a horses selling price, especially at something like a horse sale. Both mares were very similar in type, age and experience but the better presented one had a lot of fast bids straight up and the scruffy one took a lot to get started and ended up going for meat.

Re: Presentation of horses for sale ! [message #2693260 is a reply to message #2693252 ] Thu, 05 July 2012 11:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Completely Insane
Lovesagoodpaint wrote on Thu, 05 July 2012 11:13

How many times do you think they would have heard that line before though ... I dont see the problem really, if they didnt want to present there stock to you in crappy ferrel paddock condition cudo's to them ... you have a smelly attitude im affraid to say ... it stunk in the "how bad is the market" thread ... you seem to think that all owners should be giving there horses away and begging potential buyers to take them ... I take my hat off to owners/breeders who dont bow dont to potential buyers like you.

You've read my attitude all wrong then. Simple point was there are a lot of very ordinary horses out there that people think are worth the earth, at a time when the economy is at a real low. Those owners wonder why they can't sell. Good horses are still worth good money, but there are simply fewer people out there with cash spare for luxury items. I think it's a pity that soo many good breeders are getting out because they are the ones I wish could continue. Reality is that the market for anything is bad at the moment, and horses are not exempt from that just because they cost a lot to produce. When I bought mine, I didn't haggle. Her breeder told me what he would take for her and the cash was transferred, end of story.
Re: Presentation of horses for sale ! [message #2693263 is a reply to message #2693260 ] Thu, 05 July 2012 11:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  Lovesagoodpaint  
Carrielou wrote on Thu, 05 July 2012 11:25

Lovesagoodpaint wrote on Thu, 05 July 2012 11:13

You've read my attitude all wrong then. Simple point was there are a lot of very ordinary horses out there that people think are worth the earth, at a time when the economy is at a real low. Those owners wonder why they can't sell. Good horses are still worth good money, but there are simply fewer people out there with cash spare for luxury items. I think it's a pity that soo many good breeders are getting out because they are the ones I wish could continue. Reality is that the market for anything is bad at the moment, and horses are not exempt from that just because they cost a lot to produce. When I bought mine, I didn't haggle. Her breeder told me what he would take for her and the cash was transferred, end of story.

well then you cant go blaming this stud for wanting to present there stock properly. I bet they have heard people say "We wont haggle" followed by ... well he needs a bit of work so would you take X" ... they probably also know that to be fair to ask good $$$ they need to present them in a way that shows there value, lastly the last thing they want people saying is "I bought a weanling from X stud and my god they looked scruffy!" ... I dont blame them one little bit.

Re: Presentation of horses for sale ! [message #2693265 is a reply to message #2693263 ] Thu, 05 July 2012 11:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  artepko  
Completely Insane
I think it's reasonable that stud wouldn't sell until their horses were ready to sell. I personally wouldn't sell a horse if it wasn't ready either.
It sounds like they care about their reputation as well as their horses. Good on them.

IF YOU WANT SOMETHING DONE, DO IT YOURSELF.
Re: Presentation of horses for sale ! [message #2693269 is a reply to message #2693081 ] Thu, 05 July 2012 11:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Completely Insane
Don't blame them at all if they want to tart their horses up for sale. But reality is for me, the things that effect true value - conformation, movement, temperament, breeding... - are not effected by a bit of tarting up. I'm pretty capable of doing that myself.
Re: Presentation of horses for sale ! [message #2693273 is a reply to message #2693269 ] Thu, 05 July 2012 11:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  Lovesagoodpaint  
Carrielou wrote on Thu, 05 July 2012 11:39

Don't blame them at all if they want to tart their horses up for sale. But reality is for me, the things that effect true value - conformation, movement, temperament, breeding... - are not effected by a bit of tarting up. I'm pretty capable of doing that myself.

Thats fine ... for you ... but do they know you??? not every one is like that and you just got heaped in with the "others" ... thats life ... may have been a bit different if you had bought horses from them before and had built a bit of a relationship/understanding ...

Re: Presentation of horses for sale ! [message #2693276 is a reply to message #2693273 ] Thu, 05 July 2012 11:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  Wings  is currently offline Wings  
Lovesagoodpaint wrote on Thu, 05 July 2012 11:43

Thats fine ... for you ... but do they know you??? not every one is like that and you just got heaped in with the "others" ... thats life ... may have been a bit different if you had bought horses from them before and had built a bit of a relationship/understanding ...

LAGP is right on it. When I purchased my show gelding I arrived to find a well clipped, well presented horse. Had it been a show I could have put on some hoof gloss and taken him right out into the ring. It was a really nice experience!

When I purchased my second horse from them we were now friends and I was invited to walk out amongst the broodmare paddock. By this point they knew I could look past a winter coat and an ubrushed mane. She still had nice feet though Laughing

I have no issue with a stud that wants to be able to "tart up" thier horses for inspection. In fact I respect them for it. Once my new stable block goes in I'll be doing the same!

"There is just as much horse sense as ever, but the horses have most of it."
Re: Presentation of horses for sale ! [message #2693281 is a reply to message #2693188 ] Thu, 05 July 2012 12:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  FCEH  
Stark, Raving Bonkers
dooz wrote on Thu, 05 July 2012 10:17

FCEH wrote on Thu, 05 July 2012 10:13

WOW !
thats how it should be.
but it very rarely is !

Yep, that was probably the nicest 'horse shopping' experience I have had. Had a couple of bad ones too!

I generally buy unseen from interstate and have had mainly nice suprises when the horses step off the transport -they have been sent to their new homes in great condtion, feet trimmed etc. My world of horses is pretty small and reputations - good and bad - are made quickly and hang around for a long time....

Re: Presentation of horses for sale ! [message #2693297 is a reply to message #2693273 ] Thu, 05 July 2012 12:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Completely Insane

Funnily enough, all the breeders I went to had actually done their homework on me as much as I had on them before I went to look at their horses. None of them had any prior relationship, but the wonders of modern technology meant they could very easily find out enough about me and were more than happy to show me their horses.

Anyway, yes, it's nice to see clean and tidy horses, beyond the general basic maintenance, but I look beyond that.
Re: Presentation of horses for sale ! [message #2693305 is a reply to message #2693297 ] Thu, 05 July 2012 12:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  Lovesagoodpaint  
Carrielou wrote on Thu, 05 July 2012 12:15

Funnily enough, all the breeders I went to had actually done their homework on me as much as I had on them before I went to look at their horses. None of them had any prior relationship, but the wonders of modern technology meant they could very easily find out enough about me and were more than happy to show me their horses.

Anyway, yes, it's nice to see clean and tidy horses, beyond the general basic maintenance, but I look beyond that.

your really missing the point ... there is only so much they can see online ... sure they may be able to see you look after your horses, that you have other friends within the industry ... but they dont know if you can look at a fuzz bucket and see the quality underneith ... where would they find that online??? They don't know if your the sort to buy a horse and then go around saying "Umpa Lumpa Dupadoo Do! it was in horrible condition" ... they cant know that stuff ... you probably arent that sort of person but why would they risk there rep???

Re: Presentation of horses for sale ! [message #2693482 is a reply to message #2693081 ] Thu, 05 July 2012 15:53 Go to previous message
  whitneybeluga  
Level 3
When I went to look at my filly who was for sale by the breeders, I was blown away by how well she looked and her excellent condition. Every horse there was clean, feet were in excellent condition both shod and barefoot and all were well handled too.

The saddest experience I had was picking my QH up a couple of months ago after he'd been with the trainer for 4 months. I was shattered, he looked like crap with bite marks all over him, scars down his back legs from a floating incident that I'd never been told about. That was heartbreaking.

Free To Roam Farm
where the beautiful Janlyn Spellbound and Deliance Star reside
Previous Topic:Horse float recondition questions
Next Topic:Endurance horse rescued from mine shaft
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Oct 26 12:01:59 EST 2014

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.05393 seconds

.:: Home ::.