[Home]       [Forum]       [Event Calendar]       [Forum Birthdays]

Home » Vichorse Forum » General - On Topic » Winter feed bills
Winter feed bills [message #2694637] Fri, 06 July 2012 19:48 Go to next message
  rubytuesday77  
Level 1 - Advanced
I have just been adding up the feed cost for my one horse and realised that it comes to more than $300 per month! Shocked Shocked It seems a lot but got me wondering if that is pretty standard for this time of the year? How much are others spending on feed for each horse they have? (kind of makes me glad I only have the one!).

[Updated on: Fri, 06 July 2012 20:10]

“Solutions to problems often come from knowing when to ask for help.”
― Buck Brannaman
Re: Winter feed bills [message #2694642 is a reply to message #2694637 ] Fri, 06 July 2012 19:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  martina  is currently offline martina  
The forum drove me to drink. Remind me to thank it.
$300 for one Shocked Shocked
That can't be right !!!? I spend less and feed a 16.2hh WB and a 14.2hh pony (not including the ratio or what supplements cost)
I don't really change amounts of feed Summer or Winter, as mine are fed like they were in a dirt paddock anyway. If all, I cut down feeds when there is Spring grass.
Cheers MARTINA

Visit The City Barn

index.php?t=getfile&id=468031&private=0

Re: Winter feed bills [message #2694646 is a reply to message #2694637 ] Fri, 06 July 2012 19:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  Eventer1991  is currently offline Eventer1991  
Level 1 - Advanced
I spend around $170 a fought night feeding 2 TB's 1 is in full comp mode with engery feeds and the other is old of gramps feed. Lol
I shopped around a lot to tho my feed shop is amazing and gives us free bags of feed because we spend so much there >_>. OH and $10 a week on hay lol

[b]Eventing[b] The only sport where your legally required to have your medical info strapped to you arm Smile
Re: Winter feed bills [message #2694649 is a reply to message #2694637 ] Fri, 06 July 2012 19:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  Kylie78  is currently offline Kylie78  
Level 2
$235 to feed a 16.1 thoroughbred needing weight gain. I'm hoping this will decrease once we have reached a good weight as he's eating me out of horse and home!
Re: Winter feed bills [message #2694658 is a reply to message #2694642 ] Fri, 06 July 2012 20:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  rubytuesday77  
Level 1 - Advanced
I know Martina it does seem like a lot but I'm pretty sure that's what it comes to. I feed twice a day plus hay and horse is not at all over weight. He's a 16.1hh tb and looks nice and healthy. Smile I think I might research some cheaper options though Smile

― Buck Brannaman
Re: Winter feed bills [message #2694664 is a reply to message #2694637 ] Fri, 06 July 2012 20:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  galloping46  is currently offline galloping46  
This computer will self destruct in 10 posts

max $150 a month for my girl, most of that is the hay! some months I go through more hay than other months (purchase from agistment owner get charged when it goes into my stable hence variation)
Re: Winter feed bills [message #2694670 is a reply to message #2694637 ] Fri, 06 July 2012 20:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  cnotesjustfearless  is currently offline cnotesjustfearless  
Stark, Raving Bonkers
feeding horses costs a lot. end of story....
I get a lots of complaints from my parents, they are very aware just how much it does cost

FEARLESS DESIGNS providing you with quality graphic design at affordable prices
www.facebook.com/fearlessdesignsau
Re: Winter feed bills [message #2694672 is a reply to message #2694649 ] Fri, 06 July 2012 20:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Level 1 - Advanced
I spend about $250-300 a month on hard feed, for 1 in full work, 2 in light work and a growing filly.

I recently went on Feed XL website and my diet was lacking in quite a few areas. Have gradually swapped over to a new one, and while it takes a bit longer to mix up their dinners now, it is cheaper overall and I know they are getting a more balanced diet Smile

Work smarter not harder.
Re: Winter feed bills [message #2694678 is a reply to message #2694637 ] Fri, 06 July 2012 20:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  tiagem  is currently offline tiagem  
Completely Insane
Mine would be around $250 for 3 horses for feed for the mth. At least $150 would be hay and the rest hard feed. Pretty reasonable I think for an old TB, older pony and filly.

"Growing up is realising that every single one of your problems is caused by you being a complete f@rking idiot"
Re: Winter feed bills [message #2694681 is a reply to message #2694637 ] Fri, 06 July 2012 20:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  sonovagun  is currently offline sonovagun  
Troppo. Loco. Round the twist.
I am spending around $100 a month on hard feed for my pony and my Arab plus a bale of hay a week at $10 per bale.

Jayay Sonovagun
Sherwood Quest Top Class
Horse and Pony clipping
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Horse-and-Pony-Clipping/12738 1520682607
Re: Winter feed bills [message #2694682 is a reply to message #2694637 ] Fri, 06 July 2012 20:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  martina  is currently offline martina  
I feed twice a day (not huge amounts of hard feed either) and the WB gets 2 big bisquits of Lucerne hay a day and the Pony 1 bisquit
There certainly must be good doers ?!
index.php?t=getfile&id=517966&private=0
index.php?t=getfile&id=517967&private=0
Although, I have fed many TB and there was just Equijewel and/or Copra added. Oh and one I had on 1/2 Lucerne 1/2 Oaten hay, but it never went to a higher food bill than $200 per horse
Cheers MARTINA
PS: Check with different food stores, as the same feeds I buy are up to $5-8 difference per bag !!

• Attachment: Pony_6.JPG
    (Size: 69.45KB, Downloaded 703 time(s))

• Attachment: Fatso.jpg
    (Size: 14.67KB, Downloaded 679 time(s))

Visit The City Barn

index.php?t=getfile&id=468031&private=0

Re: Winter feed bills [message #2694687 is a reply to message #2694637 ] Fri, 06 July 2012 20:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  clydesdalelover  is currently offline clydesdalelover  
Completely Insane
I have little darlings. ( donks ) so at present we spend $ 100 on round bales. Have just found a good supplier. He advertised in horse deals - the hay shed. Great service & reliable. Plus good quality hay. No weeds etc. Finally on a good thing, I forgot to say we buy them fortnightly, which feeds up to 12 donks. We have also found float yards make great round bale feeders for little equines. Plus we also hand feed 3 lamb sheep.
So all up $ 130
Re: Winter feed bills [message #2694688 is a reply to message #2694637 ] Fri, 06 July 2012 20:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  Splanchnizomai  is currently offline Splanchnizomai  
Completely Insane
I have a horse who is a poor doer and my feed costs for him are about $100 a month including a round bale. And my hubby thinks THAT is expensive, seems i'm doing quite well compared to other peoples costs

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y210/crazy_cowgirl/stuff/Jessimoosig.gif
Re: Winter feed bills [message #2694690 is a reply to message #2694637 ] Fri, 06 July 2012 20:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  Hacker  
Between 3 17hh+ TBs, 1 Friesian yearling, 2 mini geldings, 2 Highland bulls and 2 lowline cows mine adds up to be;
$115 for 3 large rolls of oaten/lucerne and rye hay per month
$26 for bag of Johnsons Weight Gain
$26 for bag of Johnsons Old Timer
$26 bag for Johnsons Elite
$30 bag for Growtorque
$17 bag lucerne chaff
$5 for 5 litres ACV
And my supplement bucket lasts a few months so not counting that Razz

Am currently nursing two 17hh+ TBs through winter who are not in good condition. One a long term case, and the other my lease boy who came back a coat rack Sad

So all up $245 between quite a few animals, two of which are getting double the amount of hard feed because of condition, but are gaining condition rapidly Smile

ETA: None of mine are in work at the moment either Smile

[Updated on: Fri, 06 July 2012 20:32]

Re: Winter feed bills [message #2694696 is a reply to message #2694690 ] Fri, 06 July 2012 20:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  Dusty_Girl  
Unstoppable, ungaggable, unzippable
My hay bill is currently atleast $50 - $70 per week on it's own..
Re: Winter feed bills [message #2694709 is a reply to message #2694682 ] Fri, 06 July 2012 20:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  rubytuesday77  
Level 1 - Advanced
martina wrote on Fri, 06 July 2012 20:20

I feed twice a day (not huge amounts of hard feed either) and the WB gets 2 big bisquits of Lucerne hay a day and the Pony 1 bisquit
There certainly must be good doers ?!
index.php?t=getfile&id=517966&private=0
index.php?t=getfile&id=517967&private=0
Although, I have fed many TB and there was just Equijewel and/or Copra added. Oh and one I had on 1/2 Lucerne 1/2 Oaten hay, but it never went to a higher food bill than $200 per horse
Cheers MARTINA
PS: Check with different food stores, as the same feeds I buy are up to $5-8 difference per bag !!

ooh they are nice looking horsies! I live in a fairly small town and there isn't a lot of competition for the main feed store. They are lovely there but there isn't a lot of choice and they are quite pricey. I go to lilydale discount feeds when I am down that way but can't really buy in bulk due to having limited storage. I will definitely spend some time researching other options though as I am now aware that this is a lot to be spending. What's that saying? Ignorance is bliss or something to that effect... Rolls Eyes

― Buck Brannaman
Re: Winter feed bills [message #2694733 is a reply to message #2694709 ] Fri, 06 July 2012 20:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  WelshRgr8  
Stark, Raving Bonkers
Yeah your feed bill seems a lot compared to most... I'm feeding a OTT STB in minimal work but he needs fattening up a little and i spend average $100 month includes hay..
I shop around for feed and found Pethorsefarm very competitive for prices. My kids went to Canberra last week so I took advantage of passing Essondon DFO and stopped at PHF and got 4 bags of things and the bill was only $56.00...great! I've saved around $20 on prices charged at my usual 'haunts' Cool

Clynderwyn Welsh Mountain Ponies
Home of Salient Blue Boy 2nd
We choose Welsh and Standardbreds for driving and riding
Re: Winter feed bills [message #2694736 is a reply to message #2694637 ] Fri, 06 July 2012 21:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  Follyfoot  is currently offline Follyfoot  
Fat NFx - needs to be ridden more Embarassed
in foal TB
18mo TBxASH
5 yo mare - full work

ATM 2 bales of Lucerne/week = $18
so roughly $80/mth plus supps
Re: Winter feed bills [message #2694768 is a reply to message #2694690 ] Fri, 06 July 2012 21:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  rubytuesday77  
Level 1 - Advanced
Hacker wrote on Fri, 06 July 2012 20:25

Between 3 17hh+ TBs, 1 Friesian yearling, 2 mini geldings, 2 Highland bulls and 2 lowline cows mine adds up to be;
$30 bag for Growtorque
$17 bag lucerne chaff
$5 for 5 litres ACV

Am currently nursing two 17hh+ TBs through winter who are not in good condition. One a long term case, and the other my lease boy who came back a coat rack Sad

So all up $245 between quite a few animals, two of which are getting double the amount of hard feed because of condition, but are gaining condition rapidly Smile

Hmmm. I don't really know why I am spending so much. I have run it through feed xl and found that before hand what I was feeding was not giving him enough DE so increased amounts and changed the pre-mixes. His twice daily feeds are not huge as I am aware that he can't digest large amounts and his DE is not being exceeded because he is not fat and nor is he "hot" or excitable. The speedi-beet is quite expensive and I do go through quite a bit of that and I usually need to buy at least two or three bags of the premix feeds a month so I really don't know. Confused Maybe I should cut out speedi-beet and feed more hay. May be more economical?? A friend also suggested that it might be better to give a vit and mineral supplement rather than the pre-mixed feed (in conjunction with chaff/speedi-beet) so I will consider this as well. Thanks everyone for your input. Smile

― Buck Brannaman
Re: Winter feed bills [message #2694779 is a reply to message #2694768 ] Fri, 06 July 2012 21:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  Hacker  
rubytuesday77 wrote on Fri, 06 July 2012 21:31

Hacker wrote on Fri, 06 July 2012 20:25

$30 bag for Growtorque
$17 bag lucerne chaff
$5 for 5 litres ACV

Hmmm. I don't really know why I am spending so much. I have run it through feed xl and found that before hand what I was feeding was not giving him enough DE so increased amounts and changed the pre-mixes. His twice daily feeds are not huge as I am aware that he can't digest large amounts and his DE is not being exceeded because he is not fat and nor is he "hot" or excitable. The speedi-beet is quite expensive and I do go through quite a bit of that and I usually need to buy at least two or three bags of the premix feeds a month so I really don't know. Confused Maybe I should cut out speedi-beet and feed more hay. May be more economical?? A friend also suggested that it might be better to give a vit and mineral supplement rather than the pre-mixed feed (in conjunction with chaff/speedi-beet) so I will consider this as well. Thanks everyone for your input. Smile

This year I am spending more on feed than I ever have before. Usually I don't buy hay, but I made the mistake of overgrazing through autumn and have little winter growth - the new property doesn't bounce back like the old one did!

And feeding two 17.2-3 TBs, one of whom has been battling a digestive illness and the other just hasn't been fed properly is hurting the bank account. But I am using a new feed range which has proven not only economical, but is giving great results Smile

Never been a fan of speedibeet, it just looks and smells like wet cardboard. I would give more hay instead or replace with oats Smile

ETA: I just realized I only calculated for one bag per month of the Johnson's feed when it's actually 2 or 3 of each of those which puts up the bill a bit!

[Updated on: Fri, 06 July 2012 23:44]

Re: Winter feed bills [message #2694799 is a reply to message #2694779 ] Fri, 06 July 2012 22:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  blackorlando  is currently offline blackorlando  
I hate opening the feedbill each month - it is usually between $500 and $600 for 3 horses (not incuding hay)

That's for a geriatric with no teeth and two horses in work.

In the spring it might go down to $250 for a couple of months. yay for spring Very Happy
Re: Winter feed bills [message #2694807 is a reply to message #2694637 ] Fri, 06 July 2012 22:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  Spunky Bob  is currently offline Spunky Bob  
Completely Insane
I've just re-balanced my diets on feedxl as I've had to change hay due to supply.
17.1hh Tb in light work & needing weight gain $158
16.3 TB in very light work $43
15.3 TB in work $72
17.1 ISH not in work $30
Thats per month (and includes supplements for those needing them) plus Hay - Generally $140 per month but these past few weeks being so wet and cold it has been double!!!

Spunky Bob
Re: Winter feed bills [message #2694852 is a reply to message #2694768 ] Fri, 06 July 2012 22:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  WelshRgr8  
Stark, Raving Bonkers
rubytuesday77 wrote on Fri, 06 July 2012 21:31

Are you willing to list what you feed? it may give a clue as to why it's so much...

Re: Winter feed bills [message #2694870 is a reply to message #2694637 ] Fri, 06 July 2012 23:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  lizpee  is currently offline lizpee  
Stark, Raving Bonkers
Gee, I am pretty lucky to spend 30-40 a month on my 3 mares Cool Arab, Arab x and ASH.

I am fortunate to have own lovely pasture hay, which I have to ration to one fatty. Embarassed

I also have a couple of bags of Oaten Chaff and 1 of Cool performer for tiny treats when I need to get girls in to check over, or for when I am away from home for extras.

Have been lucky with grass so far, but 180 ml of rain and cold will drastically reduce growth, so hay can be upped

I'll tell my OH that I appreciate his hay making each year Smile

How much are folks paying for pasture hay (small bales)?
Re: Winter feed bills [message #2694885 is a reply to message #2694637 ] Fri, 06 July 2012 23:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  Follyfoot  is currently offline Follyfoot  
I bought some in at $5.50-$6 bale.
Just to have on hand.
I know where it is grown and cut, so nasty surprises and the horses do love it.
Luckily, pasture has been great the last 2 years and I haven't had to feed out hay.
Re: Winter feed bills [message #2694906 is a reply to message #2694637 ] Sat, 07 July 2012 00:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  Nikki_172 is currently online Nikki_172  
Level 1 - Advanced

wow, i'm feeling pretty lucky to have free hay and oats right now.
i'd say my fella, in work, costs me about $60 a month to feed. but he is the kind of horse that just looks at grass and puts on weight so he is locked up with minimal grass and feed him so i can control his diet.
Re: Winter feed bills [message #2694917 is a reply to message #2694870 ] Sat, 07 July 2012 01:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  WelshRgr8  
Stark, Raving Bonkers
lizpee wrote on Fri, 06 July 2012 23:16

How much are folks paying for pasture hay (small bales)?

I get my grass hay from the property it's cut off...was $6.00 but went up to $7.00 a bale when the really cold/wet weather hit....it's nice and no rubbish in it.

Re: Winter feed bills [message #2694933 is a reply to message #2694637 ] Sat, 07 July 2012 07:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  Groucho  
Im feeding 4 for $350 a month...excluding hay

I was extremely lucky this year to find a stash of lucerne hay for $5 a bale, its unheard of around these parts
Re: Winter feed bills [message #2694934 is a reply to message #2694933 ] Sat, 07 July 2012 07:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  blackorlando  is currently offline blackorlando  
Hay wasn't a big expense for me - I bought mine at $2.80 a bale which was cost price from a friends Dad. Gotta love Dads.

So at 80 bales per horse that is less than $20 per month per horse. At the moment they are eating over half a bale a day each.

[Updated on: Sat, 07 July 2012 07:32]

Re: Winter feed bills [message #2695244 is a reply to message #2694934 ] Sat, 07 July 2012 17:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  Overthrows  is currently offline Overthrows  
Level 1
blackorlando wrote on Sat, 07 July 2012 07:29

Hay wasn't a big expense for me - I bought mine at $2.80 a bale which was cost price from a friends Dad. Gotta love Dads.

So at 80 bales per horse that is less than $20 per month per horse. At the moment they are eating over half a bale a day each.

Wow I wish my hay was that cheap!!! Up here in Canberra, I travel an hour to get mine and still pay $10 for oaten and $12 for meadow. Hay alone for one horse is about $100 a month. My feed bill for one horse including hay and all additives is $200-$250 pm. We have no grass up here ATM and stabled overnight. It doesn't take long to add up!
Re: Winter feed bills [message #2695255 is a reply to message #2695244 ] Sat, 07 July 2012 18:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  zzahra84  is currently offline zzahra84  
Completely Insane
I spend $140 per month on feed for four horses. I am feeding daily and my horses are a 17hh TB, 16hh TB, 14.1hh paint mare and her weanling colt.

Horses have a good pick of poor quality grass in their paddocks, all are fat and shiny and dont get fed hay.

Zahra Park Fawaz (Wazzle) - TB - Chestnut
Talkin' About (Ash) - TB - Grey
Re: Winter feed bills [message #2695378 is a reply to message #2695255 ] Sat, 07 July 2012 20:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  PanAllegra  
Step away from the computer,
Not including supplements it costs me about $40/MONTH to feed 4.

The riding horse gets combo chaff, oats, Alka pellets and sunflower seeds. The QH/SH cross, Shettie and mini get combo chaff and black sunflower seeds.

The grass is probably basically nutritionless at the moment, so they're getting a square bale between them each day. We cut it from our own paddocks, sold half, so it was pretty much free.

All of that said, I had an oldie who, when on agistment, and without access to grass (Werribee area at the time) was going through a $12 bale a day and massive amounts of equijewel. He would easily have cost $400 a month to feed plus supplements.

[Updated on: Sat, 07 July 2012 20:46]

Peppercorn Abbott (Pepper)(1987-2012) Le Roi est mort, vive le Roi!
Peppercorn Valley Penny Lane (Penny)
Fenwick Alexander (Alex)
Peppercorn Valley Albert (Albie) (Vale)
Peppercorn Valley Minka (Minky)
Manetheren Aslan (Legs)
Bromhund Flint (Flynn)
Re: Winter feed bills [message #2695399 is a reply to message #2694637 ] Sat, 07 July 2012 20:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  TannaPark  is currently offline TannaPark  
Level 2
$252 per month for my boy, that isn't including a round bale because sometimes i don't get one.

My feed isn't cheap though 1 bag of what i feed is over $40 and lasts 2 weeks.
Re: Winter feed bills [message #2695403 is a reply to message #2695399 ] Sat, 07 July 2012 21:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  fat_little_pony  is currently offline fat_little_pony  
Level 1 - Advanced
I spend around $500 a month feeding 11 horses. Not including hay.
I hate winter, but love my ponies
Re: Winter feed bills [message #2695545 is a reply to message #2694637 ] Sun, 08 July 2012 08:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  carob_calamari  is currently offline carob_calamari  
Level 1 - Advanced
I spend about $600 a month (including hay/rounds) for my 4, but they are worth every penny so I'm not complaining Very Happy
Re: Winter feed bills [message #2695579 is a reply to message #2694637 ] Sun, 08 July 2012 09:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  country.cowgirl  is currently offline country.cowgirl  
Step away from the computer,

I am paying $400 for hard feed + supps a month for a broody, a yearling and one in moderate work...
we have grass but it is rubbish so they have 2 X lucerne round-bales @ $66 ea (one for mare + yearling and one for horse in work) they last about 6 weeks though... so works out about $500 a month for the 3 - I rekon around $200 for the one in work, $200 for the broody and $100 for the yearling - so not too bad on a 'per horse' basis...

for $300 a month for one horse I would re-evaluate what I am feeding! that's pretty high for just feed!!

and lucerne bales are $10-15 around here, I like to keep about 20 but just use them for when I go away, hay-nets at shows etc Smile the rounds work out a much cheaper option!

http://oi50.tinypic.com/1zq4zo2.jpg
Re: Winter feed bills [message #2695583 is a reply to message #2695579 ] Sun, 08 July 2012 09:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  Neisje  is currently offline Neisje  
Out of my way, I am in the midst of a hoo haa monologue
About $1000 a month Confused Shocked but that is for 9 horses all on hard feed and round bales of oaten hay so works out just over $100 per horse.

Live your life in such a way that when your feet hit the floor in the morning, Satan shudders & says...
'Oh ****...she's awake!!'
Re: Winter feed bills [message #2695589 is a reply to message #2694637 ] Sun, 08 July 2012 09:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  Tartini  is currently offline Tartini  
Level 1
I've had 7 horses to feed over the last couple of months, and my feed bill was working out to just over $100/week, including hay. I generally have quite a few horses though, so I order in 500kg bulka bags of stud mix grain, and I'm very lucky to get my oats and my lupins nice and cheap. I used to order in Bulk pellets, but I really prefer a feed that is mixed for my specifications and mixed up the morning of delivery, so it's nice and fresh. I have a good hay supplier who delivers 150 bales at a time for $10/bale. Meadow hay $5/ bale. And they are all on vitamins, magisum and salt.

In saying this, I have 2 higher level eventers, a baby eventer and the rest are racehorse breakers with the occasional OTTTB. The breakers start on a diet of just hay- normally just grass hay, and then the progress to oaten hay and then onto a hard feed of stud mix/oats/lupins for the last 2 weeks.

My eventers are always hard fit and well fed, and this certainly shows. I don't think I could feed any "cheaper" without skimping on my horses requirements, but with the amount of feed I order, I can get things at a lower price. I think economical feeding is about doing the research and knowing exactly what you need, and where you can get it the cheapest.

Re: Winter feed bills [message #2695590 is a reply to message #2694637 ] Sun, 08 July 2012 09:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  loubar  
Costs $75-90 a month for mine including hay. I think feeding a lot of expensive pre mixes is a bit of a waste. Oats and Chaffs and hay + Supp is pretty cheap.
Re: Winter feed bills [message #2695594 is a reply to message #2695579 ] Sun, 08 July 2012 09:47 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
  NervousNelly  
Level 1
[quote title=country.cowgirl wrote on Sun, 08 July 2012 09:26]I am paying $400 for hard feed + supps a month for a broody, a yearling and one in moderate work...
we have grass but it is rubbish so they have 2 X lucerne round-bales @ $66 ea (one for mare + yearling and one for horse in work) they last about 6 weeks though... so works out about $500 a month for the 3 - I rekon around $200 for the one in work, $200 for the broody and $100 for the yearling - so not too bad on a 'per horse' basis...

Wow I just paid $85 for a pasture round bale, and that only lasted 3 weeks for my two.
Previous Topic:Horse Clipping Bendigo
Next Topic:Rearing in arena
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Aug 1 19:49:34 EST 2014

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02585 seconds

.:: Home ::.