[Home]       [Forum]       [Event Calendar]       [Forum Birthdays]

Home » Vichorse Forum » Showing » Lead horse classes
Lead horse classes [message #2707964] Tue, 24 July 2012 13:46 Go to next message
  countrychic  is currently offline countrychic  
Level 2
My horse is on a forced break from dressage (due to my pregnancy) but am contemplating finding someone to prepare and take my horse in a few lead classes at some local ag shows coming into the spring.

Now as someone who has had NO experience in the showring, I'm wondering if anyone would be happy enough to explain a few things.

Does breed matter?
Are there separate hunter and hack classes?

I have no idea if my horse would fall into the hunter or hack category (and if he's a hack does that mean i get to buy a fancy browband LOL), and if it is even worth entering him.

He is a 'bitza' type (We think ASH, QH, TB) that I think is really well put together, really nice movement (and straight), but i'm looking at him from a dressage point of view.......

I have included some photos to get any opinions from some more knowledgeable people Smile

index.php?t=getfile&id=520014&private=0

index.php?t=getfile&id=520015&private=0

and back before I purchased him
index.php?t=getfile&id=520016&private=0

Re: Lead horse classes [message #2708136 is a reply to message #2707964 ] Tue, 24 July 2012 17:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  country.cowgirl  is currently offline country.cowgirl  
Step away from the computer,

Are you only going to put him in leds or ridden too?
His a hack for sure - not enough bone to be a hunter at all - so yes fancy browband
MOST hack/ AG shows have a 'led hack' check the programs some don't
IMO led classes are all about breed and been a true representation of that breed...for a 'bitza' there is usually only one class, if that, and I don't think its really worth your time/ effort IMO

I would only do leds on a 'bitza' if she were there, and prepped, to ride following the led class - the effort for one class is pointless especially when an open hack class will draw pure bred types as well - not saying don't do it, or he isn't good enough - it depends on the competition on the day but be aware it is only one class and a lot of work IMO for one class...

I have a dual QH/ASH registered buckskin boy so he can go in his QH, ASH and buckskin leds - as they are breed classes - that sadly aren't open to your boy...
I prep as I would for an under-saddle class - except if the program specifies i.e. no false tail but for open your pretty safe with all that - some quarter marks, glitter spray and he would come up beautifully

He needs to lead correctly from the shoulder, the normal work-out is (in a triangle fashion) walk out on an angle - trot a line parallel to the judge (triangle base) stand horse up square side-on to judge, trot back past the judge - so its a pretty simple type work-out...

http://oi50.tinypic.com/1zq4zo2.jpg
Re: Lead horse classes [message #2708214 is a reply to message #2707964 ] Tue, 24 July 2012 18:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  firefox  is currently offline firefox  
Level 1 - Advanced
I would put him in hunter if he was mine.
Re: Lead horse classes [message #2709209 is a reply to message #2707964 ] Wed, 25 July 2012 20:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  horseluver1  is currently offline horseluver1  
Troppo. Loco. Round the twist.

I'd say he's more hunter Smile

http://i357.photobucket.com/albums/oo17/shadycandy/149436_351828914877066_100001498826757_959175_1311288442_n.jpg
Re: Lead horse classes [message #2713128 is a reply to message #2709209 ] Mon, 30 July 2012 23:20 Go to previous message
  WelshRgr8  
Stark, Raving Bonkers
I agree that he'd be more suited to the hunter ring...I'll be brave enough to tell you why... Very Happy He's kind of in between both, but just a little too "heavy" for hack....not so much in bone but body type. He's a lovely looking fella though Smile

Clynderwyn Welsh Mountain Ponies
Home of Salient Blue Boy 2nd
We choose Welsh and Standardbreds for driving and riding
Previous Topic:Echuca ARC Show
Next Topic:Showing In-Hand (Welsh)
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Jul 31 01:08:29 EST 2014

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01707 seconds

.:: Home ::.