[Home]       [Forum]       [Event Calendar]       [Forum Birthdays]

Home » Vichorse Forum » General - On Topic » Does anyone else have a horse that keeps exceeding expectations ?
Does anyone else have a horse that keeps exceeding expectations ? [message #2713051] Mon, 30 July 2012 21:29 Go to next message
AmyWhelan  is currently offline AmyWhelan  
Level 5
Just had to share this photo of my beautiful 4 year old quarterhorse. He was broken in about a year and a half ago and then not ridden since. I bought him in April for a measly $800 and he has just come back from being re-broken (although only spend 2 weeks there). This was our first official outride and he did a fantastic job. We went past trucks, barking dogs, roadworks and pigs and he didnt even bat an eyelid. Acted like he had done it all before Razz . Has anyone else got a horse that keeps exceeding expectations ?

• Attachment: milocrop.jpg
    (Size: 90.85KB, Downloaded 328 time(s))

Re: Does anyone else have a horse that keeps exceeding expectations ? [message #2713148 is a reply to message #2713051 ] Mon, 30 July 2012 23:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  Jarrah  is currently offline Jarrah  
Completely Insane
He's a cute boy, I hope he keeps going well for you.

My young one doesn't exceed my expectations, he meets them. I expected him to be good be for I broke him and he's proving to be exactly what I was hoping he would be. I just wish he was a little heavier built, but there is nothing else I would change about him.

I don't think I have had any that have exceeded my expectations, nor do I think I've had any that haven't met them either.

Have fun on your new boy Smile
Re: Does anyone else have a horse that keeps exceeding expectations ? [message #2713151 is a reply to message #2713051 ] Mon, 30 July 2012 23:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  martina  is currently offline martina  
The forum drove me to drink. Remind me to thank it.
Had several Very Happy so now I kind of expect it Laughing
The ones really exceeding .... I sold, as simply "wasted" with me. One I didn't (when I was young) and I regret it till today Confused
Different direction .... That's great that you are getting on so well and horsey is doing great !! Keep up the good work
Cheers MARTINA

Visit The City Barn

index.php?t=getfile&id=468031&private=0

Re: Does anyone else have a horse that keeps exceeding expectations ? [message #2713207 is a reply to message #2713051 ] Tue, 31 July 2012 07:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Level 5
Most of my other horses have been very highly strung and would shy at just about everything. I suppose its kind of refreshing having a sensible horse for a change. Its odd because he is also the youngest horse ive had Rolls Eyes
Re: Does anyone else have a horse that keeps exceeding expectations ? [message #2713258 is a reply to message #2713051 ] Tue, 31 July 2012 09:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  funky25  is currently offline funky25  
Level 1
Absolutely Very Happy

4 years ago I bought a little grey pony for $200. He was extremely skinny and didn't trust anyone.

He was un-wanted and I just loved him from the first minute I saw him Smile
He has since gone top 10 at Barastoc, plays polocrosse, done state games, pony club, swims through the dam and is currently easily clearing rounds of 80cm (all my with my daughter, not me Smile )
Re: Does anyone else have a horse that keeps exceeding expectations ? [message #2713260 is a reply to message #2713051 ] Tue, 31 July 2012 09:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  moo_mare  is currently offline moo_mare  
Level 1 - Advanced
Yes, a horse I got a year ago ott, I couldn't love him anymore, he has surpassed all of my expectations. He was very under weight, bit me in the face, double barreled me, would leap about like a fairy. Now out competing, only lv4 but he has the scope to go so much further, done nav rides, hunter pace, dressage comps, ct. Self loads now, ponies off my other horses- there is nothing I wouldnt have a go at with him. I am taken a back by him so often and his amazing attitude now. Considering the trainer dropped him off at my house sight unseen it's worked out pretty well! Smile
Re: Does anyone else have a horse that keeps exceeding expectations ? [message #2713304 is a reply to message #2713051 ] Tue, 31 July 2012 10:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  JosiieBrnz  is currently offline JosiieBrnz  
Unstoppable, ungaggable, unzippable
Yuup!
My new boy, a 4 year old arab whos never seen an arena before, got him home Wednesday night in pitch black, let him settle in on Thursday, then Friday morning floated him down to the PC for a lesson! Was fantastic, not a single shy, didnt care about anything, even popped him over a little XC jump!
Brought him down again a few days later, ran around the XC in the rain, didnt care. Cantering little circles in the SJ ring, not a foot wrong. Popped over a few little SJs and he was great!
Then my extremely nervous (and total beginner) 12 year old sister got on him in the dressage arena, once again, not a foot wrong!
Then that weekend floated him to a friends and we went trailriding all day Saturday, through the bush, out in the housing areas, down the main street, didnt put a foot wrong again!
Ridden him bareback in a halter too and he was great, plus hes already learning to round up... Absolute bargin, couldnt be happier Very Happy
Especially as I was expecting some silly spooky snorty sooky thing... Rolls Eyes Laughing
index.php?t=getfile&id=520934&private=0

• Attachment: Ponehhhh.jpg
    (Size: 30.18KB, Downloaded 621 time(s))

http://i59.tinypic.com/2rhl1ue.jpg
Re: Does anyone else have a horse that keeps exceeding expectations ? [message #2713312 is a reply to message #2713051 ] Tue, 31 July 2012 10:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ohh and I couldnt forget my little project pony...
When I got him I couldnt lay a hand on him for over a week, took me ages to catch him, he was terrified of everything and a total spazz under saddle...

After about 6 months of hard work, loads of groundwork and trust building, he's been sold onto a 11 year old girl who loves him, riding him across freeways, jumping grade 3 XC, and hooning around, they love him! Very Happy
I knew he had potential but never expected him to turn out this amazing! :3

index.php?t=getfile&id=520935&private=0

• Attachment: Dylan!.jpg
    (Size: 20.87KB, Downloaded 55 time(s))

Re: Does anyone else have a horse that keeps exceeding expectations ? [message #2713323 is a reply to message #2713051 ] Tue, 31 July 2012 10:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
And how could I forgot Dylan, my little project...
When i got him he was terrified of people, you couldnt look at him the wrong way or he'd turn to water, riding was out of the question, he was like a spring! He was so nervous, on the ground and under saddle.
For a while I thought I'd never get anywhere with him, 2 months past with NO progress.
Then all of a sudden it clicked! And he started trusting me!
He got better and better until I decided he was ready to find a new home, and Umpa Lumpa Dupadoo Do!. I had so much interest, even got offered $2,500 for him Shocked
But in the end I chose the home that sounded most suitable - and hes now off with an 11 year old girl who rides him across the freeway, does grade 3 XC on him, and just loves him to pieces!
So proud, and so glad I was able to give him a second chance at life, it makes me so happy to see him so happy! Very Happy
index.php?t=getfile&id=520936&private=0

• Attachment: Dylan!.jpg
    (Size: 20.87KB, Downloaded 597 time(s))

Re: Does anyone else have a horse that keeps exceeding expectations ? [message #2713441 is a reply to message #2713051 ] Tue, 31 July 2012 21:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Level 5
Wow such inspiring stories
just goes to show you dont need to spend a fortune to get a fantastic horse Smile
Re: Does anyone else have a horse that keeps exceeding expectations ? [message #2713592 is a reply to message #2713441 ] Wed, 01 August 2012 09:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  skymare  is currently offline skymare  
Completely Insane
i have had many amazing horses that were brilliant for beginners and they were unknown backgrounds when i bought them for very cheap. i was very lucky. since coming back to horses five years ago i've had some very challenging horses. it seems my luck ran out!
Re: Does anyone else have a horse that keeps exceeding expectations ? [message #2713623 is a reply to message #2713441 ] Wed, 01 August 2012 10:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  martina  is currently offline martina  
AmyWhelan wrote on Tue, 31 July 2012 21:56

Wow such inspiring stories
just goes to show you dont need to spend a fortune to get a fantastic horse Smile

Oh, if it is about that - I got a fairy story experience Very Happy
No wasn't for free, but I bought my first horse as a foal from my prize money I got with my Superpony Cool
It was a smallish, bunt little thing and nobody wanted it. So, I got it cheap 2000DM
Broke him in myself and he went on to win the Bundeschampionat. Competed PSTG and was a B/A grade showjumper (not with me Embarassed though !!)
He was a bit SPECIAL and of course I never had a horse like that again.
Had several others incl. TB which were very cheap to buy and turned out super well. One as a bombproof trail rideing horse for an elder lady Very Happy
It is nice to have trainable horses with good temperaments Very Happy just makes things sooo much easier and more fun. Unless you want the challenge Razz
Cheers MARTINA

Visit The City Barn

index.php?t=getfile&id=468031&private=0

Re: Does anyone else have a horse that keeps exceeding expectations ? [message #2713662 is a reply to message #2713623 ] Wed, 01 August 2012 11:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  fruitloop  
Step away from the computer,
My first horse I was given OTT and he is now going round happily with a yound girl doing grade 1 pc Very Happy

My last horse I paid $2k for and bought him OTT and wont sell him he is an absolute gem!!

Take him out to new places and he is 100% behaved always having hot horses its REALLY nice having a pony that is just simply chilled Very Happy

I love him so so much!! he just makes me smile every time I ride, last week I rode around the property for the first time and there was a heard of cows galloping straight towards him at the fence and he didnt care just lifted his tail and went to prance and I gave him some leg and a half halt and he just walked along like nothing happened its amazing!! he is just so easy Very Happy

only con with him is he is a bit of a boff and when tied to hay bale he knows and will break off it to eat grass not cause he is scared just cause he knows he can Rolls Eyes

everything happens for a reason.....
Re: Does anyone else have a horse that keeps exceeding expectations ? [message #2713947 is a reply to message #2713662 ] Wed, 01 August 2012 17:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  dryden62  
Absolutely!!

I bought my 2yr old Irish Draught gelding from an advert in the Weekly Times ... I wasnt even looking for a horse but he was advertised very cheaply and I just had to have him! Rolls Eyes

When we got there he pushing 17hh, pretty much unhandled and totally feral .. my husband thought Id taken leave of my senses!!! Laughing Laughing

We herded him into my float, got him home, dropped the ramp and let him go ... it then took me 3 days to get near him! Laughing Laughing

That was nearly 3 years ago now!

He is the horse of my dreams and just keeps getting better and better! Very Happy

index.php?t=getfile&id=521055&private=0

Re: Does anyone else have a horse that keeps exceeding expectations ? [message #2715558 is a reply to message #2713051 ] Fri, 03 August 2012 21:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  kantikilodge  is currently offline kantikilodge  
Level 1
The problem is for every happy ending story, there are a dozen heart breaking stories. You guys are the lucky few with fantastic stories. You all obviously seen the twinkle in your horses eyes that said, yes, I'm a good horse. A lot of buyers miss that twinkle and loose faith in the horse industry. Far too many dishonest people in the horse game. That is an awesome picture Amy! You will have many happy years with Milo and so will your children!!!
Re: Does anyone else have a horse that keeps exceeding expectations ? [message #2715928 is a reply to message #2715558 ] Sat, 04 August 2012 12:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  Bats79 is currently online Bats79  
This computer will self destruct in 10 posts
Just about every horse that I have ever bred. Sometimes you are diappointed when injury curtails or ends things before they ever get started but most of the time I am just Shocked where did that come from, or Cool what a cool dude.

http://www.vgp.com.au/Writing-paper.jpg

Brokeford Holsteiners website - photos and videos http://www.brokeford.com.au
Re: Does anyone else have a horse that keeps exceeding expectations ? [message #2716121 is a reply to message #2713051 ] Sat, 04 August 2012 18:08 Go to previous message
  RebaRocks  is currently offline RebaRocks  
Level 1
Dryden your poneh is gorgeous! *wipes drool off chin*

the pooch exceeds my expectations all the time just cos he is so dang cool.

http://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/165295_10150121529442184_749427183_8168417_8180017_n.jpg
Previous Topic:Spraining Ankle during falls, stirrup ideas?
Next Topic:Does anyone have info on this stally?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Aug 2 18:34:24 EST 2014

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01879 seconds

.:: Home ::.