[Home]       [Forum]       [Event Calendar]       [Forum Birthdays]

Home » Vichorse Forum » General - On Topic » John O'Leary and his 'opinions'
Re: John O'Leary and his 'opinions' [message #2715468 is a reply to message #2714972 ] Fri, 03 August 2012 18:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  Horseychick01  is currently offline Horseychick01  
Level 1
Well all I can say I must be obese. I am 5 ft 3 and 71kg and ride in an 18 inch saddle. I am disgusted with myself how dare I but so much weight on my poor pony lol.

Would love to go on a world trip and not have a worry in the world.
Re: John O'Leary and his 'opinions' [message #2715473 is a reply to message #2714972 ] Fri, 03 August 2012 18:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  Ashlee&Storm  is currently offline Ashlee&Storm  
This computer will self destruct in 10 posts

Oh my god, seriousy!!?? Shocked
I'm about 50kg and ride in a 17inch saddle that fits me well. Confused

That is completely disgusting for him to say that, whether it be about a 17inch saddle or a 19inch saddle, completey out of line.

http://i1020.photobucket.com/albums/af329/LilMissAsh95/4156bb42.jpg
Re: John O'Leary and his 'opinions' [message #2715501 is a reply to message #2715133 ] Fri, 03 August 2012 19:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  dryden62  
The forum drove me to drink. Remind me to thank it.
dryden62 wrote on Fri, 03 August 2012 10:30

kokobene wrote on Fri, 03 August 2012 08:14

Someone just made a point that a 17" in stock saddle sizing is different to English sizing (they said it's the equivalent to approx 19"in English size??).
Still, it's a pretty awful response!!

Oh dear ... rules me out then .. both my dressage and jumping saddles are 19" Laughing Laughing

index.php?t=getfile&id=521191&private=0

FCEH wrote on Fri, 03 August 2012 14:00

Grouse looking horse!

learns4life wrote on Fri, 03 August 2012 10:38

gorgeous horse Cool

Thanks! Very Happy
Re: John O'Leary and his 'opinions' [message #2715504 is a reply to message #2714972 ] Fri, 03 August 2012 19:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  RealityBites  is currently offline RealityBites  
Step away from the computer,
I WAS friends with him on Facebook around8 months ago because a friend of mine raved about him. It lasted about a week as basically his whole page was just running other people and trainers down. And I saw nothing in his training methods that made me think he had the right to laugh at everyone else, and most of what he writes is completely unfounded too! Oddly enough the same friend that raved, has now turned incredibly nasty and we don't talk anymore!LOL! He seriously needs taking down a peg or two....

http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii7/wyvernstorm/RB-Banner.jpg
Re: John O'Leary and his 'opinions' [message #2715520 is a reply to message #2715504 ] Fri, 03 August 2012 20:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  comic  
Out of my way, I am in the midst of a hoo haa monologue

Again, a 17" stock saddle is pretty huge.

While I don't agree with the way he says things, and he does have a high opinion of himself, I have seen his training methods in operation and I like them.

If you want to fix a horse with a problem, he will help, and it won't take 12 months of wanky talk to do it. Unlike some others I could name.

Most of these men seem to have interesting personalities. Confused
Re: John O'Leary and his 'opinions' [message #2715550 is a reply to message #2715520 ] Fri, 03 August 2012 20:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  Finn  
comic wrote on Fri, 03 August 2012 20:04

While I don't agree with the way he says things, and he does have a high opinion of himself, I have seen his training methods in operation and I like them.

If you want to fix a horse with a problem, he will help, and it won't take 12 months of wanky talk to do it. Unlike some others I could name.

Exactly.

I am friends with him on FB and yes sometimes he has opinions and methods i dont agree with HOWEVER he is free with his advice. People are constantly posting photos onto his page asking for him advice and opinions and he gives it, most others would never give advice for free.

Yes he could have had more tact but people are missing the fact he is not talking ENGLISH SIZING he is talking western and a 17inch western is a darn big saddle.

I am sick of this already and everyone saying 'I am blah blah tall and blah blah kilos and ride in a 17inch' He is NOT i repeat NOT talking english sizing. Not.

Not english sizing.

Does not mean english 17 inch.

Doesn't mean english sizing.

Means western sizing.

Not english sizing.
Re: John O'Leary and his 'opinions' [message #2715587 is a reply to message #2714972 ] Fri, 03 August 2012 21:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  Wings  is currently offline Wings  
I don't care what the guy does in the rest of his life no one has any right to have a go at someone's weight like this, it is highly unacceptable behaviour.

"There is just as much horse sense as ever, but the horses have most of it."
Re: John O'Leary and his 'opinions' [message #2715595 is a reply to message #2715587 ] Fri, 03 August 2012 22:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wings wrote on Fri, 03 August 2012 21:58

I don't care what the guy does in the rest of his life no one has any right to have a go at someone's weight like this, it is highly unacceptable behaviour.

Yup! And heaps of trainers I am friends with on Facebook, give advice for free, in a polite and friendly fashion without being judgemental. And he hides under the fact that he's 'all about the horses welfare' but he's seriously all about himself

Re: John O'Leary and his 'opinions' [message #2715603 is a reply to message #2714972 ] Fri, 03 August 2012 22:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  cheveauxpark  
And you can bet your bottom dollar the mans checking it out post by post..
his most humble of servants will be alerting him Confused

Re: John O'Leary and his 'opinions' [message #2715605 is a reply to message #2715595 ] Fri, 03 August 2012 22:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  Bats79  is currently offline Bats79  
RealityBites wrote on Fri, 03 August 2012 22:03

Wings wrote on Fri, 03 August 2012 21:58

Yup! And heaps of trainers I am friends with on Facebook, give advice for free, in a polite and friendly fashion without being judgemental. And he hides under the fact that he's 'all about the horses welfare' but he's seriously all about himself

Thumbs Up Nod

http://www.vgp.com.au/Writing-paper.jpg

Brokeford Holsteiners website - photos and videos http://www.brokeford.com.au
Re: John O'Leary and his 'opinions' [message #2715613 is a reply to message #2715603 ] Fri, 03 August 2012 22:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  comic  

cheveauxpark wrote on Fri, 03 August 2012 22:15

And you can bet your bottom dollar the mans checking it out post by post..
his most humble of servants will be alerting him Confused

probably, lol.

Rolls Eyes
Re: John O'Leary and his 'opinions' [message #2715645 is a reply to message #2714972 ] Fri, 03 August 2012 23:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  happyhacks  is currently offline happyhacks  

I often find the biggest egos go hand in hand with horses .....sad really cause there is nothing that will humble you quicker in reality but obviously humility is something that is preached and not practiced by many.......

Happy Hacks
Equine Massage Therapy
Servicing Victoria 0403305997
Re: John O'Leary and his 'opinions' [message #2715738 is a reply to message #2715550 ] Sat, 04 August 2012 08:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  Equivarna  
Finn wrote on Fri, 03 August 2012 20:59

Exactly.

I am friends with him on FB and yes sometimes he has opinions and methods i dont agree with HOWEVER he is free with his advice. People are constantly posting photos onto his page asking for him advice and opinions and he gives it, most others would never give advice for free.

Yes he could have had more tact but people are missing the fact he is not talking ENGLISH SIZING he is talking western and a 17inch western is a darn big saddle.

I am sick of this already and everyone saying 'I am blah blah tall and blah blah kilos and ride in a 17inch' He is NOT i repeat NOT talking english sizing. Not.

Not english sizing.

Means western sizing.

Not english sizing.

I must admit, I'm finding the double standard interesting. In one thread we have people howling with moral outrage that a horses welfare may have been compromised at the Olympics by certain training practices, and in another a man who has put the horses welfare above all else is being pilloried for little more than a lack of tact.

Whilst I personally find John's ego nauseating; perhaps if more people spent less time pandering to the delicate sensibilities of the obese, we might not be the fat lard arses that we are.

When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.”
Re: John O'Leary and his 'opinions' [message #2715751 is a reply to message #2715738 ] Sat, 04 August 2012 08:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  comic  

For once in my life I bloody agree with you.
Re: John O'Leary and his 'opinions' [message #2716021 is a reply to message #2715112 ] Sat, 04 August 2012 15:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  Groucho  
No Message Body

[Updated on: Sat, 04 August 2012 15:52]

Re: John O'Leary and his 'opinions' [message #2716047 is a reply to message #2715738 ] Sat, 04 August 2012 16:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  ellabw6  is currently offline ellabw6  
Stark, Raving Bonkers
Equivarna wrote on Sat, 04 August 2012 08:44

Exactly.

Not english sizing.

Means western sizing.

Not english sizing.

I must admit, I'm finding the double standard interesting. In one thread we have people howling with moral outrage that a horses welfare may have been compromised at the Olympics by certain training practices, and in another a man who has put the horses welfare above all else is being pilloried for little more than a lack of tact.

Whilst I personally find John's ego nauseating; perhaps if more people spent less time pandering to the delicate sensibilities of the obese, we might not be the fat lard arses that we are.

I agree with you there. It is socially acceptable to comment on people's disregard for their health when smoking but not being overweight, which I find interesting.

Mind you I don't mean overweight as in anything more than a size 8 which is just ridiculous, I mean people that are actually eating themselves to death.

This man sounds like an absolute tool, no doubt about it.

[Updated on: Sat, 04 August 2012 16:40]

The horse through all its trials has preserved the sweetness of paradise in its blood.
Re: John O'Leary and his 'opinions' [message #2716068 is a reply to message #2715196 ] Sat, 04 August 2012 17:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  megs  is currently offline megs  

loubar wrote on Fri, 03 August 2012 11:50

Hollywood wrote on Fri, 03 August 2012 11:42

Agree that the 17" saddle he was referring to was probably a stock/half breed size which would be approximately 2" bigger in an English size.....I rode in a 17.5" in English saddles and ride in a 16" western......HOWEVER, regardless of this, his comments are disgusting! Mad

I 'friended' him on FB a while ago.....thinking there's always something to learn from different trainers.....all I learnt was that he was an arrogant prick of a man and promptly 'unfriended' him! Laughing

Yup me too Twisted Evil

Me three Crying or Very Sad

He really seems to be a misogynist. He was ranting about supermarket vegetables being genetically modified to go off within 3 days. I suggested this was untrue and was more likely due to their time in cool store...
Guess what? Apparently I'm an ignorant female who has no idea about anything Rolls Eyes despite having grown up on farms with a parent who worked at both an agricultural college AND an agricultural research station... Evil or Very Mad
Re: John O'Leary and his 'opinions' [message #2716100 is a reply to message #2715460 ] Sat, 04 August 2012 17:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  abigail123  is currently offline abigail123  
Level 1 - Advanced
I weigh 50kg and ride in a 17" because I have long legs....... What a strange, strange man..... Rolls Eyes Rolls Eyes
Re: John O'Leary and his 'opinions' [message #2716108 is a reply to message #2715738 ] Sat, 04 August 2012 18:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Exactly.

Not english sizing.

Means western sizing.

Not english sizing.

For starters, I think it's all in his head half of the stuff he rants on about, and he only cares about horses as much as the next person! I don't believe he's gods gift to the horse world, which he obviously does. I don't even LIKE his training methods. And secondly, in what way was he putting the horses welfare first in this particular case?? Did he ask the breed and height of the horse?? Did he ask the owners age or weight?? NO he just made an assumption based on a saddle size, which is both offensive and incredibly arrogant.

Re: John O'Leary and his 'opinions' [message #2716109 is a reply to message #2714972 ] Sat, 04 August 2012 18:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  susieq  
Troppo. Loco. Round the twist.
I must admit I purchased a stock saddle last month, I have never owned one, and asked for the 17 inch saddle. I must have had a petite sounding voice as the lady on the other end of the phone said " they have a very large seat" my response was "I have a very large behind". When the saddle arrived it did indeed have a very large seat. Not the same as english sizes. Laughing Laughing Mr J O'L needs to remove whatever it is he has stuck up his behind.

I can pick em but I can't ride em
Re: John O'Leary and his 'opinions' [message #2716114 is a reply to message #2716109 ] Sat, 04 August 2012 18:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  mamasue  
Completely Insane
susieq wrote on Sat, 04 August 2012 18:01

I must admit I purchased a stock saddle last month, I have never owned one, and asked for the 17 inch saddle. I must have had a petite sounding voice as the lady on the other end of the phone said " they have a very large seat" my response was "I have a very large behind". When the saddle arrived it did indeed have a very large seat. Not the same as english sizes. Laughing Laughing
Mr J O'L needs to remove whatever it is he has stuck up his behind.

maybe it's a 17" saddle!!
Re: John O'Leary and his 'opinions' [message #2716125 is a reply to message #2716114 ] Sat, 04 August 2012 18:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  susieq  
mamasue wrote on Sat, 04 August 2012 18:03

I must admit I purchased a stock saddle last month, I have never owned one, and asked for the 17 inch saddle. I must have had a petite sounding voice as the lady on the other end of the phone said " they have a very large seat" my response was "I have a very large behind". When the saddle arrived it did indeed have a very large seat. Not the same as english sizes. Laughing Laughing

Laughing Laughing Laughing On the horse. Embarassed Embarassed

I can pick em but I can't ride em
Re: John O'Leary and his 'opinions' [message #2716126 is a reply to message #2716114 ] Sat, 04 August 2012 18:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mamasue wrote on Sat, 04 August 2012 18:03

Stock or English? Laughing Laughing Laughing

Re: John O'Leary and his 'opinions' [message #2716134 is a reply to message #2714972 ] Sat, 04 August 2012 18:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  Private Eye  
how different is his rantings from anyone posting on here about riders who are over 100kg being too fat to ride

I do belive there was a thread like this not long ago

I like JO methods...Ive met him personally on a few occasions with work and altho he might come across as a pompass arse on forums and what not he is in fact quite an understanding man

BUT he calls a spade a spade.........some people dont like to hear that and would rather it be all rosey

Before we all start ranting on about saddle size.......find out the facts first

If for one think having a 17inc (western saddle)(equivilent of a 19.5inch english saddle)on a horse horrendous...Good on him for saying so

Yes his bed side manner could have been better but how do we know that that email hasnt been tweeked Confused
Re: John O'Leary and his 'opinions' [message #2716142 is a reply to message #2715738 ] Sat, 04 August 2012 18:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  Finn  

Exactly.

Not english sizing.

Means western sizing.

Not english sizing.

Yep well said.
Re: John O'Leary and his 'opinions' [message #2716152 is a reply to message #2714972 ] Sat, 04 August 2012 18:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  zam zam  
PR skills, customer service, professionalism........ he doesnt have any.
There is a wrong and a right way of handling a situation, bottom line is he sucks at it, in this instance he was rude and arrogant, now he will pay the price for it.
Dickhead!

If it sparkles or its fluffy its all good.
Re: John O'Leary and his 'opinions' [message #2716153 is a reply to message #2716142 ] Sat, 04 August 2012 18:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  Bins  is currently offline Bins  
Its my party and I'll hoo haa if I want to
At the end of the day he's running a business. If his lack of tact with people is not more than made up for by his brilliance with horses then that business won't do very well.

ETA I first wrote "lack of tack" which I personally think is an awesome Freudian slip. Smile

[Updated on: Sat, 04 August 2012 19:03]

Re: John O'Leary and his 'opinions' [message #2716183 is a reply to message #2716152 ] Sat, 04 August 2012 19:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  Neisje  is currently offline Neisje  
zam zam wrote on Sat, 04 August 2012 18:53

There is a wrong and a right way of handling a situation, bottom line is he sucks at it, in this instance he was rude and arrogant, now he will pay the price for it.
Dickhead!

Exactly! A simple 'sorry I no longer carry that size saddle' is sufficient, there was no need to comment further on someone's size and weight when he hasnt even met them!

Years ago a friend brought a 22in stock saddle that had been originally custom made for a tall footballer, doesnt mean he was too heavy to ride just because he needed that size saddle to ride in!

Live your life in such a way that when your feet hit the floor in the morning, Satan shudders & says...
'Oh ****...she's awake!!'
Re: John O'Leary and his 'opinions' [message #2716192 is a reply to message #2716183 ] Sat, 04 August 2012 19:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  Bats79  is currently offline Bats79  
Neisje wrote on Sat, 04 August 2012 19:30

zam zam wrote on Sat, 04 August 2012 18:53

Dickhead!

Exactly! A simple 'sorry I no longer carry that size saddle' is sufficient, there was no need to comment further on someone's size and weight when he hasnt even met them!

Years ago a friend brought a 22in stock saddle that had been originally custom made for a tall footballer, doesnt mean he was too heavy to ride just because he needed that size saddle to ride in!

Totally agree.

Those that think it forgiveable because "fat people wouldn't be fat if we told them so" are kidding themselves. The only reason to be nasty to people is because you enjoy putting others down.

I've told people that a young horse I was selling wouldn't be up to their weight - haven't felt the need to insult them at the same time.

[Updated on: Sat, 04 August 2012 19:38]

http://www.vgp.com.au/Writing-paper.jpg

Brokeford Holsteiners website - photos and videos http://www.brokeford.com.au
Re: John O'Leary and his 'opinions' [message #2716242 is a reply to message #2715738 ] Sat, 04 August 2012 20:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  sprintman  is currently offline sprintman  
Level 1 - Advanced

Exactly.

Not english sizing.

Means western sizing.

Not english sizing.

You get it, the majority here don't. I'm guessing that's because fat is the new thin!

UNDERSTEER is when you hit the wall with the front of the car. OVERSTEER is when you hit the wall with the rear. HORSEPOWER is how fast you hit the wall. TORQUE is how far you take the wall with you.
Re: John O'Leary and his 'opinions' [message #2716252 is a reply to message #2714972 ] Sat, 04 August 2012 21:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  Wings  is currently offline Wings  
Weight is not for strangers over the internet, it is something for family, friends and those actually connected to the individual to comment on.
I still can't believe that people are defending this man's 'right' to comment on a subject he knew nothing about outside of a saddle size request.

"There is just as much horse sense as ever, but the horses have most of it."
Re: John O'Leary and his 'opinions' [message #2716261 is a reply to message #2716242 ] Sat, 04 August 2012 21:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  zam zam  
sprintman wrote on Sat, 04 August 2012 20:56

Exactly.

Not english sizing.

Means western sizing.

Not english sizing.

You get it, the majority here don't. I'm guessing that's because fat is the new thin!

Are you assuming those posting are overweight?
If so you are so very wrong!
I personally can ride in a 15 inch english saddle, small enough?
I"m a business owner, customer service is paramount to success.
Rudeness and arrogance is not!

Re: John O'Leary and his 'opinions' [message #2716264 is a reply to message #2716261 ] Sat, 04 August 2012 21:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  sprintman  is currently offline sprintman  
Level 1 - Advanced
zam zam wrote on Sat, 04 August 2012 21:21

Exactly.

Not english sizing.

Means western sizing.

Not english sizing.

You made an incorrect assumption.

UNDERSTEER is when you hit the wall with the front of the car. OVERSTEER is when you hit the wall with the rear. HORSEPOWER is how fast you hit the wall. TORQUE is how far you take the wall with you.
Re: John O'Leary and his 'opinions' [message #2716274 is a reply to message #2716264 ] Sat, 04 August 2012 21:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  zam zam  
sprintman wrote on Sat, 04 August 2012 21:26

zam zam wrote on Sat, 04 August 2012 21:21

Exactly.

Not english sizing.

Means western sizing.

Not english sizing.

You made an incorrect assumption.

and your guess "fat is the new thin"?
Acceptance that people come in all shapes and sizes is becoming the norm.
Whilst on the topic of assumption what size saddle do you think someone like Serena Williams would need?

Re: John O'Leary and his 'opinions' [message #2716282 is a reply to message #2715738 ] Sat, 04 August 2012 21:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  djrayment  
Unstoppable, ungaggable, unzippable

Confused A lack of tact is "Sorry I no longer sell that size saddle because I think there's few horses that could carry that type of weight without compromising their welfare".
What he did was blatantly insult the questioner with no more info than his own preconceived ideas about the reasons why someone would want a saddle that big or the animal they would be using it on.
I come from a school of thought that you can't be a good animal trainer without having good people skills (after all, who owns the animals you think you are helping???)...

Sprintman - Zam didn't assume anything, she asked you a question Smile
Re: John O'Leary and his 'opinions' [message #2716285 is a reply to message #2716282 ] Sat, 04 August 2012 22:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  Equivarna  
djrayment wrote on Sat, 04 August 2012 21:57

Confused A lack of tact is "Sorry I no longer sell that size saddle because I think there's few horses that could carry that type of weight without compromising their welfare".
What he did was blatantly insult the questioner with no more info than his own preconceived ideas about the reasons why someone would want a saddle that big or the animal they would be using it on.
I come from a school of thought that you can't be a good animal trainer without having good people skills (after all, who owns the animals you think you are helping???)...

Sprintman - Zam didn't assume anything, she asked you a question Smile

Smile I'll happily concede that "lack of tact" was something of an understatement, but you get my drift. Laughing

When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.”
Re: John O'Leary and his 'opinions' [message #2716297 is a reply to message #2716142 ] Sat, 04 August 2012 22:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  Rickey.a  is currently offline Rickey.a  
Finn wrote on Sat, 04 August 2012 18:39

Exactly.

Not english sizing.

Means western sizing.

Not english sizing.

Yep well said.

I agree with Equivarna as well!

I have found some of his youtube clips very helpful. While I agree that he has a big ego, so do many other high profile horse people!!

And, lastly, he may be very blunt, he does have the horses welfare as a priority, which is always a good thing!
Re: John O'Leary and his 'opinions' [message #2716301 is a reply to message #2716285 ] Sat, 04 August 2012 22:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  djrayment  
Unstoppable, ungaggable, unzippable
Equivarna wrote on Sat, 04 August 2012 22:03

Smile I'll happily concede that "lack of tact" was something of an understatement, but you get my drift. Laughing

Yeah I do Laughing but that doesn't make him any less of an arse (which is what most people seem to be most incensed about) - no-one that has as much to loose as he does, risks it by speaking to people like that unless they are getting a kick out of it, because he's sure as hell not helping the horses by turning people off with his arrogance and condescending comments.

FWIW, I wouldn't let him touch any of my animals with a bargepole - if he is so closed-minded and sorely lacking in empathy towards other people, the mind boggles with what he'd be like with an 'inferior species' Confused Neutral
Re: John O'Leary and his 'opinions' [message #2716389 is a reply to message #2716134 ] Sun, 05 August 2012 08:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  CC  is currently offline CC  
Private Eye wrote on Sat, 04 August 2012 18:28

how different is his rantings from anyone posting on here about riders who are over 100kg being too fat to ride

I do belive there was a thread like this not long ago

I like JO methods...Ive met him personally on a few occasions with work and altho he might come across as a pompass arse on forums and what not he is in fact quite an understanding man

BUT he calls a spade a spade.........some people dont like to hear that and would rather it be all rosey

Before we all start ranting on about saddle size.......find out the facts first

If for one think having a 17inc (western saddle)(equivilent of a 19.5inch english saddle)on a horse horrendous...Good on him for saying so

Yes his bed side manner could have been better but how do we know that that email hasnt been tweeked Confused

How correct you are I love his methods I truly believe he has the horses welfare at heart, did anyone on here ever wonder what was written in the original letter to John or perhaps the follow up letter before he responded with the way he did, no everyone just jumps on the band wagon. I have been at riding club where a member was told by an instructor that she needed to buy a bigger saddle as the saddle was too small and putting too much pressure on her horses back, this was said in a very diplomatic way, the response was I cant afford another saddle, so the instructor then said it would be wise if you went on a diet, in which the member then went of crying and running down the hell out of the instructor. There are two sides to every story Crying or Very Sad

index.php?t=getfile&id=93387&private=0
Re: John O'Leary and his 'opinions' [message #2716395 is a reply to message #2714972 ] Sun, 05 August 2012 09:16 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
  madsyoudork  
Stark, Raving Bonkers
Despite his methods, whether he has the horse's welfare at heart or not, this is not a good way to conduct business and at an even more basic level than that, it is not a good way to treat other people.

I don't go around spouting racist, sexist, xenophobic or bigoted comments and then excuse myself on the basis that I'm 'telling it like it is'. Imagine if we all did that? I know in redneck circles political correctness is frowned upon but I don't think it's about applying to social standards for the sake of being PC. I think it's about treating other people with respect.

In this situation, as far as we know, John O'Leary had not seen the person in question. He didn't know her from a bar of soap. So what on earth made him respond to her inquiry in such a rude way? Sure, he's allowed, but I think it reveals a hell of a lot about him. To me it's another offence in a long list of him being behaving in print like a chauvinist, racist douchebag. And that's enough to stop me from supporting him in the future, no matter what he's like in person. Why wouldn't he just write that he no longer stocks those saddles on the basis of welfare. Why not leave it at that if he had to? His hubris is rather astounding and I think people have every right to say that. And that's ME 'telling it like it is' Smile
Previous Topic:what to do when a horse.....
Next Topic:How can I 'de slip' my horse float?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Jul 23 23:56:45 EST 2014

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02546 seconds

.:: Home ::.