[Home]       [Forum]       [Event Calendar]       [Forum Birthdays]

Home » Vichorse Forum » General - On Topic » Horse not Drinking much ...
Horse not Drinking much ... [message #1936200] Mon, 19 July 2010 11:22 Go to next message
  Whoopie  is currently offline Whoopie
Level 1
You can lead a horse to water but how the hell do you make it drink!!!

I have had said horse 6 weeks now, and he does drink but not near what I would expect after seeing how much my galloway and pony drink.

His pee is yellow but skin etc seems aOK, how can I encourage him to drink more?

He is on 2 acres of good pasture and gets 2 hard feeds a day, no hay as he just prefers to eat grass and doesn't touch it when I put it out.

Any advice please as I've never had this problem before.

Thanks.
Re: Horse not Drinking much ... [message #1936222 is a reply to message #1936200 ] Mon, 19 July 2010 11:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  martina  is currently offline martina  
The forum drove me to drink. Remind me to thank it.
Like people - everybody is different ! I drink a hell of a lot though Laughing
I got a horse not drinking much (half the average amount), therefore not peeing much either. When out at comps he does not drink at all. I have to squirt it in to his mouth.
Talked to Vet about it and had him checked - all good. I make sure I add. salt/electrolytes to his feeds and wet it down heaps.
I found a second water bucket near the feed bin made him drink at least a little more. Yep, he is that lazy .... not walking 5 metres Razz
Cheers MARTINA

Visit The City Barn

index.php?t=getfile&id=468031&private=0

Re: Horse not Drinking much ... [message #1936233 is a reply to message #1936200 ] Mon, 19 July 2010 11:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Level 1
Thanks Martina,

So it might just be him, I have just put a salt lick out for him yesterday so will see how that goes and just keep an eye on him.

And will wet his feed down even more Wink There is alot of moisture in and one the grass too atm so not as worried just worried about what it might be like come summer!

Thanks again
Re: Horse not Drinking much ... [message #1936240 is a reply to message #1936233 ] Mon, 19 July 2010 11:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  Shaz  
Unstoppable, ungaggable, unzippable
Electrolites!

Edited to add, every horse should have them in their diet.

[Updated on: Mon, 19 July 2010 11:46]

www.b-boots.com.au
Follow us on facebook!
Re: Horse not Drinking much ... [message #1936254 is a reply to message #1936200 ] Mon, 19 July 2010 11:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Level 1
Thanks Shaz,

He does get vit/min supplement in his feed, so maybe I need electrolytes on top of this?!

I did put his diet thru feed XL and apparently he is getting everything he needs ?!?!?!
Re: Horse not Drinking much ... [message #1936258 is a reply to message #1936200 ] Mon, 19 July 2010 11:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  rachaelw  
I have a mare that is the complete opposite. She is ALWAYS thirsty. She will try and pull my arm out of its socket to get to a bucket of water! Even after a 1/2hr float ride she looks de-hydrated (all tucked up in the stomach).
This mare is a new addition and I will be getting her checked out to see if all is ok.

When she arrived 3 weeks ago she was so thin and neglected. Sad
She is slowly gaining weight. On a basic diet of grass, lucerne chaff, vit/min supplement.

Any suggestions as to what may be wrong in the meantime would be great.

www.lakeviewwarmbloods.com.au
Re: Horse not Drinking much ... [message #1936501 is a reply to message #1936200 ] Mon, 19 July 2010 13:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  megany  
This computer will self destruct in 10 posts
If he is on good pasture as you say, then he is probably getting a lot of moisture out of the grass. I've found that horses with plenty of green grass, drink a lot less than horses that are on hard feed and hay with little grass. Just my observation over the years Smile.
Re: Horse not Drinking much ... [message #1936519 is a reply to message #1936200 ] Mon, 19 July 2010 14:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  Flash Dancer  is currently offline Flash Dancer  
A bit of Molasses in the water.. something sweet. We used to do that with my mare as she would hardly drink whenever we went to a competition or PC camp.

Riding: The art of keeping a horse between you and the ground.
Re: Horse not Drinking much ... [message #1936533 is a reply to message #1936501 ] Mon, 19 July 2010 14:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  Shaz  
megany wrote on Mon, 19 July 2010 13:57

If he is on good pasture as you say, then he is probably getting a lot of moisture out of the grass. I've found that horses with plenty of green grass, drink a lot less than horses that are on hard feed and hay with little grass. Just my observation over the years Smile.

Yep absolutely right Megan. Notice this too.
But they still should be on electrolytes.

www.b-boots.com.au
Follow us on facebook!
Re: Horse not Drinking much ... [message #1936776 is a reply to message #1936200 ] Mon, 19 July 2010 16:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  mate_is_my_horse_16  is currently offline mate_is_my_horse_16  
Troppo. Loco. Round the twist.
He would get a fair bit of moisture from his grass and feed and the weather is pretty cold so he may not drink much. My horse has. not been drinking as much lately, but yes horses are all different, some drink lots some dont.

http://vichorse.com/forum/index.php?t=getfile&id=440648&private=0
Re: Horse not Drinking much ... [message #1936954 is a reply to message #1936776 ] Mon, 19 July 2010 18:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  Bats79  is currently offline Bats79  
Paddock full of colts - 8 - even with playing and sunshine - in the past week have not drunk more than 400 litres. If they aren't eating hay (dry) and it has been raining on green grass they often don't drink much water at all.

http://www.vgp.com.au/Writing-paper.jpg

Brokeford Holsteiners website - photos and videos http://www.brokeford.com.au
Re: Horse not Drinking much ... [message #1937011 is a reply to message #1936222 ] Mon, 19 July 2010 19:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  MrSquiggle  is currently offline MrSquiggle  
Level 1
martina wrote on Mon, 19 July 2010 11:32

Like people - everybody is different ! I drink a hell of a lot though Laughing I got a horse not drinking much (half the average amount), therefore not peeing much either. When out at comps he does not drink at all. I have to squirt it in to his mouth.
Talked to Vet about it and had him checked - all good. I make sure I add. salt/electrolytes to his feeds and wet it down heaps.
I found a second water bucket near the feed bin made him drink at least a little more. Yep, he is that lazy .... not walking 5 metres Razz
Cheers MARTINA

I don't think she was talking about red wine Martina Laughing

Don't mind me I'm a reject.
Re: Horse not Drinking much ... [message #1937367 is a reply to message #1937011 ] Mon, 19 July 2010 22:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  martina  is currently offline martina  
The forum drove me to drink. Remind me to thank it.
MrSquiggle wrote on Mon, 19 July 2010 19:10

martina wrote on Mon, 19 July 2010 11:32

Like people - everybody is different ! I drink a hell of a lot though Laughing I got a horse not drinking much (half the average amount), therefore not peeing much either. When out at comps he does not drink at all. I have to squirt it in to his mouth.
Cheers MARTINA

I don't think she was talking about red wine Martina Laughing

Did someone mention RED WINE !!!??? Where .... Razz

Visit The City Barn

index.php?t=getfile&id=468031&private=0

Re: Horse not Drinking much ... [message #1937697 is a reply to message #1936200 ] Tue, 20 July 2010 09:51 Go to previous message
Level 1

Thanks everyone for your advice... Will add electrolytes and see how we go.

Yeh, he will drink molasses water but don't want that to become a bad habit needing sugar in everything would like to keep that for traveling and having different water supplies. Bit like cordial and kids ...

But he doesn't eat anything dry atm so maybe that's why, wet feed and wet grass and the cold I wouldn't feel like cold water either.

But Red Wine on the other hand ... Very Happy
Previous Topic:Why do people think when selling a horse they will get back what they paid for it??
Next Topic:Always Knew I'd Be Famous One Day...
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Sep 2 07:06:13 EST 2014

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02057 seconds

.:: Home ::.