[Home]       [Forum]       [Event Calendar]       [Forum Birthdays]

Home » Vichorse Forum » Breeds » All things Western (Western Pleasure, Cutting, Reining etc)
Re: All things Western (Western Pleasure, Cutting, Reining etc) [message #2398312 is a reply to message #2103097 ] Sun, 28 August 2011 04:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  stam  is currently offline stam  
Level 1 - Advanced
Hello, so I need some advice about showing Smile
I have a 9 month old colt( soon to be gelded) and am looking at taking him to a few local shows to get him out and about, but my issue is he is a fjord/quarterhorse/clydesdale. Can you show cross Breeds? What classes can I do? And will I be laughed at? What is the correct attire for myself? Sorry I have not much clue with the bubbas and showing Embarassed
Ifs is easier please pm.
Thank you Smile
Re: All things Western (Western Pleasure, Cutting, Reining etc) [message #2398395 is a reply to message #2063143 ] Sun, 28 August 2011 09:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  RhemyElla  is currently offline RhemyElla  
The forum drove me to drink. Remind me to thank it.
Edited the old post 'coz the saddle I was asking about was indian leather.... Dead

Just thought I'd post here anyway to see if anyone has a second hand show saddle for sale? I keep coming across dodgy ones but I'd prefer to pay for a good quality second hand saddle (don't think I can afford a new one after buying the horse) Laughing Must be full QH bars Smile

[Updated on: Mon, 29 August 2011 18:45]

Re: All things Western (Western Pleasure, Cutting, Reining etc) [message #2400320 is a reply to message #2398312 ] Tue, 30 August 2011 08:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  Lovesagoodpaint  
Step away from the computer,
stam wrote on Sun, 28 August 2011 04:00

I have a 9 month old colt( soon to be gelded) and am looking at taking him to a few local shows to get him out and about, but my issue is he is a fjord/quarterhorse/clydesdale. Can you show cross Breeds? What classes can I do? And will I be laughed at? What is the correct attire for myself? Sorry I have not much clue with the bubbas and showing Embarassed
Ifs is easier please pm.
Thank you Smile

You wont be able to show him in halter classes as they need to be registered with the appropriate association ie; PHAA for paint classes, AQHA for Quarter Horse classes and AAA for Appaloosa classes. I know ballarat used to have a unregistered halter class, but I noticed it wasnt on there last program, they instead had "Improver Halter" which you could show him in. Honestly, you'd probably have more luck in the english ring with him, maybe in the "any other breed" classes at breed shows. He is more "other" breed than "western" breed ... later once he is broken you will be able to give western a go as you dont need to have a registered horse for most ridden classes

Everyone wants happiness no one wants pain, Yet you cant have a Rainbow without the Rain!
Re: All things Western (Western Pleasure, Cutting, Reining etc) [message #2401746 is a reply to message #2400320 ] Wed, 31 August 2011 13:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  stam  is currently offline stam  
Level 1 - Advanced
Lovesagoodpaint wrote on Tue, 30 August 2011 08:31

stam wrote on Sun, 28 August 2011 04:00

Ifs is easier please pm.
Thank you Smile

You wont be able to show him in halter classes as they need to be registered with the appropriate association ie; PHAA for paint classes, AQHA for Quarter Horse classes and AAA for Appaloosa classes. I know ballarat used to have a unregistered halter class, but I noticed it wasnt on there last program, they instead had "Improver Halter" which you could show him in. Honestly, you'd probably have more luck in the english ring with him, maybe in the "any other breed" classes at breed shows. He is more "other" breed than "western" breed ... later once he is broken you will be able to give western a go as you dont need to have a registered horse for most ridden classes

Thankyou, I'll see how his training goes and may give the "Improver Halter" a go, It's morely for him to get his confidence up around other horses and to get him use to all different things. I'm not a huge fan of english anymore, so I try stay away from that show area.
Re: All things Western (Western Pleasure, Cutting, Reining etc) [message #2411368 is a reply to message #2063143 ] Sat, 10 September 2011 08:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  polocrossebabe
Its my party and I'll hoo haa if I want to

well i joined the western district club and had my first club day the other weekend. it was ace fun, except for the part where my normally-sane pony nearly hung himself Rolls Eyes stupid plastic bags that eat snoozing horses at floats. loved the trail, reckon i have lots of work if i wanna do an improver class at a show and the people, mostly, were ace. Very Happy

polocrosse...king of the one-horse sports.
Re: All things Western (Western Pleasure, Cutting, Reining etc) [message #2411567 is a reply to message #2411368 ] Sat, 10 September 2011 12:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
polocrossebabe wrote on Sat, 10 September 2011 08:10

well i joined the western district club and had my first club day the other weekend. it was ace fun, except for the part where my normally-sane pony nearly hung himself Rolls Eyes stupid plastic bags that eat snoozing horses at floats. loved the trail, reckon i have lots of work if i wanna do an improver class at a show and the people, mostly, were ace. Very Happy

So glad you had fun, PCB! Very Happy (well, except for the plastic-bag-of-doom incident) Razz
I have just bought my very first Western show saddle so I can't wait to get in to the local Western club and hopefully start showing the little mare soonish. Smile
Re: All things Western (Western Pleasure, Cutting, Reining etc) [message #2412305 is a reply to message #2063143 ] Sun, 11 September 2011 08:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  linksys  is currently offline linksys  
Completely Insane
Just wondering if anyone here is a member of yvqha?
Re: All things Western (Western Pleasure, Cutting, Reining etc) [message #2414127 is a reply to message #2411368 ] Mon, 12 September 2011 22:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  Wyndara  
Troppo. Loco. Round the twist.
polocrossebabe wrote on Sat, 10 September 2011 08:10

I joint the same club, didn't hang around for the trail though. I guess I have to get used to all day shows, rather than just turning up for my dressage tests and out of there Laughing I'm a bit worried, as my saddle isn't the best fit, to cause a sore back if I'm on my horse all day.
Re: All things Western (Western Pleasure, Cutting, Reining etc) [message #2415932 is a reply to message #2063143 ] Wed, 14 September 2011 15:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  Lovesagoodpaint  
who was the exception to the "mostly" PCB??? be interested to know Wink

Got to watch out for those plastic bags .... one tried to eat Miss Peaches at the end to!

Everyone wants happiness no one wants pain, Yet you cant have a Rainbow without the Rain!
Re: All things Western (Western Pleasure, Cutting, Reining etc) [message #2416941 is a reply to message #2415932 ] Thu, 15 September 2011 15:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  Wyndara  
Lovesagoodpaint wrote on Wed, 14 September 2011 15:43

I can think of someone Shocked
Re: All things Western (Western Pleasure, Cutting, Reining etc) [message #2417103 is a reply to message #2416941 ] Thu, 15 September 2011 19:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  Lovesagoodpaint  
Wyndara wrote on Thu, 15 September 2011 15:52

Who????? please tell moi!!! send me a PM .... would like to nip these sorts of things in the butt before they become a problem ... the club is overall a very friendly place to be ... I heard many lovely comments about your lovely cob boy Wyndara, he grabbed quiet a bit of attention Smile

Re: All things Western (Western Pleasure, Cutting, Reining etc) [message #2417958 is a reply to message #2417103 ] Fri, 16 September 2011 17:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  polocrossebabe

Lovesagoodpaint wrote on Thu, 15 September 2011 19:22

Wyndara wrote on Thu, 15 September 2011 15:52

Who????? please tell moi!!! send me a PM .... would like to nip these sorts of things in the butt before they become a problem ... the club is overall a very friendly place to be ... I heard many lovely comments about your lovely cob boy Wyndara, he grabbed quiet a bit of attention Smile

Laughing Laughing Laughing not nasty, just abrupt. and wyndy, didn't realise that was you on the cob or i woulda said hello. Very Happy

Re: All things Western (Western Pleasure, Cutting, Reining etc) [message #2420051 is a reply to message #2063143 ] Sun, 18 September 2011 21:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  Greenacres  
Level 2
If anyone has any issues at all with the club then please come to a meeting and bring it up. We can't fix a problem we don't know about! Razz

The cob horse at the clinic was gorgeous...my husband and I both loved him.
Re: All things Western (Western Pleasure, Cutting, Reining etc) [message #2420100 is a reply to message #2063143 ] Sun, 18 September 2011 22:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  Wyndara  
Like PCB said, not nasty, just a bit hmm yes abrupt could be a way to describe it. Just someone's personality and I was prewarned Smile .

I had a great lesson again today, from a guy that does 'horsemanship'. We now do things with a bit of western flavour and started doing flying changes for the very first time. Teddy got the idea quite quickly and it won't be long before he can do them properly. The last 3 we did were all nearly there. I may do another reining clinic so we can work towards being able to do a reining pattern at a local show. So much more fun practicing this western stuff compared to dressage!

Does the club organises any clinics at all? I've seen a couple of clinics in different places with Liz Keating that sounded really good for beginners, just a bit far to travel.

[Updated on: Sun, 18 September 2011 22:36]

Re: All things Western (Western Pleasure, Cutting, Reining etc) [message #2420131 is a reply to message #2420100 ] Sun, 18 September 2011 22:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  polocrossebabe

Wyndara wrote on Sun, 18 September 2011 22:26

Like PCB said, not nasty, just a bit hmm yes abrupt could be a way to describe it. Just someone's personality and I was prewarned Smile .

I had a great lesson again today, from a guy that does 'horsemanship'. We now do things with a bit of western flavour and started doing flying changes for the very first time. Teddy got the idea quite quickly and it won't be long before he can do them properly. The last 3 we did were all nearly there. I may do another reining clinic so we can work towards being able to do a reining pattern at a local show. So much more fun practicing this western stuff compared to dressage!

Does the club organises any clinics at all? I've seen a couple of clinics in different places with Liz Keating that sounded really good for beginners, just a bit far to travel.

yeah, they do. i went to the ian francis one the other month and it was amazing. he'has so much knowledge and can pass it along in a way even a non-western person like moi can understand. the club is gonna get him back out in march i believe so i think i'll be going again. Very Happy

Re: All things Western (Western Pleasure, Cutting, Reining etc) [message #2420144 is a reply to message #2063143 ] Sun, 18 September 2011 23:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  Lovesagoodpaint  
Ahhhh I know who you are talking about ... believe it or not they have toned down the abruptness a LOT! Laughing

The club has clinics ... there is a improver clinic in November with Bev O'Keefe. The easiest way to keep tabs is to keep an eye on the website http://www.wdqha.com.au/

As for the Liz Keating clinic .... I went to one in Ballarat and was VERY dissapointed ... infact I came away quiet dissillusioned with the whole discipline. I have found the club days/clinics that the WDQHA hold far more beneficial ... the improver clinic above should be terrific!

Re: All things Western (Western Pleasure, Cutting, Reining etc) [message #2420357 is a reply to message #2063143 ] Mon, 19 September 2011 10:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  Wyndara  
Thanks, the improver type clinics was what I was interested in. This one coming up though seems to be about showing at halter? Not much good when you have a Welsh Cob Laughing .

I am particularly interested in instruction in horsemanship and trail. There was a clinic near Sunbury a few weeks ago that I really wanted to go to, but unfortunately I had family commitments that day. Just have to keep my eyes open for others.

I guess it also means checking the club website regularly. I have become a member, but not received any news letters yet. Do they come out often or is it better to just check on the website for what is coming up?

There seems to be a show next week in Geelong, but no program yet?
Re: All things Western (Western Pleasure, Cutting, Reining etc) [message #2420582 is a reply to message #2063143 ] Mon, 19 September 2011 12:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  Greenacres  
Level 2
Yes the WDQHA has an A show this sunday the 25th. The program isn't up on the website yet because our show sec is OS. It will be the same program as before (not sure if theres an old program on the website? If not PM me and I can forward one). We have a meeting tomorrow night (all welcome) and will be discussing the clinics. Pretty certain the Bev O'Keefe clinic covers showmanship and ridden stuff as well, but last I heard there was only 2 places left so get in quick if you wish to attend! Any input is great so please don't be shy about bringing up any concerns, we would rather fix things than have the club brought down on a public forum...cheers! Smile
Re: All things Western (Western Pleasure, Cutting, Reining etc) [message #2420728 is a reply to message #2063143 ] Mon, 19 September 2011 14:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  Wyndara  
The May program is on there, so I just go by that?

Maybe a dumb question, but what is the difference between horsemanship and western riding?

The clinic includes halter and showmanship before lunch, showmanship is a halterclass right? It is not quite clear what the rest is, it just talks about 'on the rail'.

Still trying to get my head around all this terminology.
Re: All things Western (Western Pleasure, Cutting, Reining etc) [message #2420770 is a reply to message #2063143 ] Mon, 19 September 2011 15:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  Greenacres  
Level 2
Yep go by the May program. The only changes if any will be the addition of 2yo classes (I think) but nothing that should effect you.
The difference between horsemanship and western riding is huge. Western horsmanship is a pattern class which may be something like...start at cone A and jog to cone B, lope on the left lead a circle and then halt at cone C, back up, turn on fore and jog to the rail...this is just an example of a basic pattern. Then you wait on the rail until everyone does their pattern then the judge will ask you to work on the rail, walk, jog and lope and then line up.
Western riding is a pattern of cones where you do a lead change between each one (hard to explain so maybe do a youtube search). Not an easy class and generally theres only one or 2 people who attempt it.
Showmanship is a halter type class but for any breed. You do a led pattern which will generally have a back up, pivot etc all without touching the horse. I've never done it because it doesn't interest me so maybe ask someone who knows a bit more about it.
Hope this helps! Smile
Re: All things Western (Western Pleasure, Cutting, Reining etc) [message #2420911 is a reply to message #2420770 ] Mon, 19 September 2011 16:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  Supastef  
Just in case anyone is looking - I have a Syd Hill Fresno Roper (15" full QH bars) for sale $600 ono
index.php?t=getfile&id=467181&private=0

• Attachment: SydHll.jpg
    (Size: 15.60KB, Downloaded 386 time(s))

Re: All things Western (Western Pleasure, Cutting, Reining etc) [message #2421674 is a reply to message #2063143 ] Tue, 20 September 2011 10:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  Wyndara  
Thanks Greenacres. So for showmanship it doesn't matter that I have a Welsh Cob? I have done plenty of natural horsemanship with him, so it may be fun to enter and get to go in the arena to do some groundwork before riding. I think I give the western riding a miss Laughing

I have also entered the Bev O'Keefe clinic, so that should help me understand things better.
Re: All things Western (Western Pleasure, Cutting, Reining etc) [message #2421719 is a reply to message #2063143 ] Tue, 20 September 2011 10:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  Hollywood  is currently offline Hollywood  
Stark, Raving Bonkers
Good on ya Wyndara! Look forward to seeing pictures of you and your lovely boy out showing soon! Very Happy

I haven't posted in here for a while - we've been to another lesson and clinic with my instructor since which have both gone really well - working hard at home, keeping up with my 5 day a week riding regime and trying to perfect these lead changes!

Have our next reining show on October 9th at Werribee, it will be our first one in which we attempt lead changes so it could be interesting! Confused Laughing My trainer can't be there for this show either so to say I'm a bit nervous is an understatement!!

http://i.imgur.com/mAnxU.jpg

New website! www.saraagnew.com
Or visit me on Facebook!
Re: All things Western (Western Pleasure, Cutting, Reining etc) [message #2421725 is a reply to message #2063143 ] Tue, 20 September 2011 10:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  Wyndara  
You'll be fine Hollywood, you did so well at the reining clinic. And it seems that even if you may find it all a bit difficult your horse probably knows what to do. He was such a cool character, looks like he has it all under control.
Re: All things Western (Western Pleasure, Cutting, Reining etc) [message #2422994 is a reply to message #2063143 ] Wed, 21 September 2011 12:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  Greenacres  
Level 2
You can enter any type of horse in the showmanship, they are just sectioned into, improver, intermediate, youth and amateur.

We also have a club day on the 30th Oct which will be a free day (for members) to come and use the arena. Not a clinic but there will be plenty of people there to lend a hand if need be. Great chance to get your horses used to a group environment etc.
Re: All things Western (Western Pleasure, Cutting, Reining etc) [message #2423127 is a reply to message #2063143 ] Wed, 21 September 2011 14:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  mazz  
Stark, Raving Bonkers
Hi everyone - I thought I would post this here (as well as other areas) as I have been told that my new horse is Western and Reining trained so thought someone might recognise him Very Happy

I have bought an Appy who I was told is registered and his name is Chicago White Sox, I was also told he was 14yrs old but I clipped his brands and it turns out he is 18yrs old Confused he was advertised on here and also in Horse Deals.

Now I am trying to find out Exactly who he is but the Australian Appaloosa Association doesn't have a horse by that name registered with them so I am hoping on a very long shot that one of you lovey Western People may recognise the horse or his brand
index.php?t=getfile&id=467577&private=0
index.php?t=getfile&id=467578&private=0
index.php?t=getfile&id=467579&private=0

Re: All things Western (Western Pleasure, Cutting, Reining etc) [message #2423506 is a reply to message #2063143 ] Wed, 21 September 2011 20:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  Wyndara  
Greenacres, do I just enter and pay on the day? Do I have to decide beforehand which classes I will enter, or can I see how we go and enter as the day goes?
Re: All things Western (Western Pleasure, Cutting, Reining etc) [message #2423512 is a reply to message #2421725 ] Wed, 21 September 2011 20:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Stark, Raving Bonkers
Wyndara wrote on Tue, 20 September 2011 10:59

You'll be fine Hollywood, you did so well at the reining clinic. And it seems that even if you may find it all a bit difficult your horse probably knows what to do. He was such a cool character, looks like he has it all under control.

Thanks Wyndara Very Happy

I sure hope so, to be honest I'll just be happy if he holds it together in the lead changes and doesn't get hot, even if we don't do them very well! He's been going really, really well at home for the most part lately and calming down alot with them (much better than he was at Geelong!) so fingers crossed it all comes together on the day!

Or visit me on Facebook!
Re: All things Western (Western Pleasure, Cutting, Reining etc) [message #2423651 is a reply to message #2423506 ] Wed, 21 September 2011 23:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  Lovesagoodpaint  
Wyndara wrote on Wed, 21 September 2011 20:51

Greenacres, do I just enter and pay on the day? Do I have to decide beforehand which classes I will enter, or can I see how we go and enter as the day goes?

When you get there in the morning go to the office and pay for your entries, you will be given a number then as well. So they will have programs to look over and the patterns for the days pattern classes and you simply fill in the form with the corresponding class numbers to which you want to enter and pay for them then. Then your set for the day Smile .... looking forward to it!

You will be right hollywood ... you've done your homework so not much more to do but enjoy the day for what it ends up being! ... I always go expecting the worst and being plesantly surprised ... havn't been completly dissapointed yet! Good Luck!

Re: All things Western (Western Pleasure, Cutting, Reining etc) [message #2423720 is a reply to message #2063143 ] Thu, 22 September 2011 07:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  Greenacres  
Level 2
What she said ^^^^
You can add a class as a spur of the moment, as long as you let them know and pay for it before you leave.
Re: All things Western (Western Pleasure, Cutting, Reining etc) [message #2425638 is a reply to message #2063143 ] Sat, 24 September 2011 00:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Best of luck, Hollywood! You will be fine! Can't wait to hear about your day!! Smile

Here's a quick pic of Annie with our new Rocking R saddle Smile I'm just loving this little mare - she is SO honest and tries her heart out for me Smile
http://i54.tinypic.com/f0c9xk.jpg
Re: All things Western (Western Pleasure, Cutting, Reining etc) [message #2429289 is a reply to message #2063143 ] Wed, 28 September 2011 09:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  Wyndara  
I had a ball at our first western show! I was very pleased with how Teddy went, but made a few mistakes myself. All good though, I learned a lot, and the best way to learn is to just have a go. The people were great and Teddy had lots of admirers Smile The hardest part wwas the warm up, soooo many horses trotting and cantering around in such a small space Shocked . I thought it was scarey and didn't warm up. I was so proud of Teddy to pick up the left canter almost from a standstill in our first horsemanship class, without warm up.
Re: All things Western (Western Pleasure, Cutting, Reining etc) [message #2429310 is a reply to message #2063143 ] Wed, 28 September 2011 10:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Stark, Raving Bonkers
Well done Wyndara!! And Teddy too of course - what a star!! Any photos? Very Happy

Yes, the warm up area can be a bit of a minefield can't it?! But you do get used to it - I think at my first show I was more worried about upsetting people in the warm up pen than I was at actually competing! Laughing

Thanks for the support guys - lead changes are the bain of my life at the moment!! Laughing Bubba's going really well, it's not him, it's definitely me! But, after analysing my ride last night in detail, I think I know where I'm going wrong....now just to fix it - easier said than done I reckon! Not good to be a week and a half out of a show where you have to do lead changes and you've suddenly seemingly forgotten how to do them, and unlikely to be able to have a lesson between now and the show!!! I just have to keep telling myself that it should be easier in the show ring as he wants to do them at the centre anyway, and we have much more space too to get it right! Razz

Or visit me on Facebook!
Re: All things Western (Western Pleasure, Cutting, Reining etc) [message #2429904 is a reply to message #2063143 ] Wed, 28 September 2011 20:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  Lovesagoodpaint  
Yes well done at the Western Distric show Wyndara ... the warm up was crazy crazy ... soooo many people trying to all do the same thing ... oh well we survived! Laughing

Hollywood maybe your drilling yourself on these changes to hard ... it could help to relax and just chill about them ... go do other stuff and just occasionally ask for one throughout the work out, that way your not stressing about it constantly and getting yourself up tight which might muck with your aids and the way Bubba is reading them??? just a thought Smile

[Updated on: Wed, 28 September 2011 20:20]

Re: All things Western (Western Pleasure, Cutting, Reining etc) [message #2430194 is a reply to message #2063143 ] Thu, 29 September 2011 09:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Stark, Raving Bonkers
Thanks LAGP, I think you've hit the nail on the head! I do tend to get a bit of 'tunnel vision' when it comes to something I really want or need to achieve! Embarassed

On Tuesday I tried two or three times and then just knew it wasn't going to work that night so went and worked on something completely different and fun - speeding up and slowing down the lope - I figured Bub was going so well it would have been a shame to ruin it by trying to keep on doing something that wasn't working and only upset him in the process! And I think I'll just make it easier on both of us by asking across the long diagonal when I've got the whole arena to myself for a while rather than on the circle at one end when I do try again.

But on the plus side, he's improved out of sight from the rushing and head in the air that he was before when asking for lead changes and I feel like we have much more of a connection now than we ever have, so hopefully that will be reflected in the show ring! Very Happy

Or visit me on Facebook!
Re: All things Western (Western Pleasure, Cutting, Reining etc) [message #2430626 is a reply to message #2063143 ] Thu, 29 September 2011 15:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  Lovesagoodpaint  
Thats great! I find doing figure of eights and simple changes in the middle (I generally stop and ask for the change from a stand still) really centers peaches and calms her (probably because she has to concentrate so much). Our trainer thinks that just doing this has helped her in so many other areas and her balance is starting to get phenominal. I was chuffed when he said that because its a excersise we have done even before we started getting lessons. It could be similar for Bub, so good work!

The changes will come Wink ... My trainer told me about another client the other day. The horse is also a reiner and apparently "could change under water" ... there were a lot of other areas this horse needs more work in but his changes are awesome ... apparently the way he taught him to change was on long straight dirt roads. He would lope him and then put his spur on for a lead change and just leave it on until he finally changed and then took the spur off .... repeat repeat repeat ... un ethical maybe ... but it worked for him! Laughing

Re: All things Western (Western Pleasure, Cutting, Reining etc) [message #2431423 is a reply to message #2063143 ] Fri, 30 September 2011 11:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  Wyndara  
Or go back to basics to make it easier. When I did practice my first lead changes we did a figure of 8 as squares. Lead changes as you hit the middle of the long side on the track, just change direction and let the fence help you. Set it up so the quarters are in and the horse is bend in the new direction. It was so much easier than what I have seen people do on the long diagnal or in the middle of figures of 8.

But if it is not working and you are both getting flustered, just do something else. Probably if you didn't even practice them, but made no big deal about them they will just happen on the day (as your horse does know them). My new philosophy is that it has to be fun for the horse and the rider, and we are both enjoying our riding so much more.

Edited to add picture of Teddy and me in the Showmanship class. Note the old fashioned borrowed shirt and hat Laughing

index.php?t=getfile&id=469230&private=0

• Attachment: Western1.jpg
    (Size: 26.86KB, Downloaded 222 time(s))

[Updated on: Fri, 30 September 2011 14:33]

Re: All things Western (Western Pleasure, Cutting, Reining etc) [message #2442736 is a reply to message #2063143 ] Tue, 11 October 2011 19:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rancher  is currently offline Rancher  
Level 5
This is my (soon to be) reining horse Very Happy

His mum is a Greenhills mare and his dad is a Purebred Friesian, so he will be a bit different Very Happy

index.php?t=getfile&id=471369&private=0
index.php?t=getfile&id=471370&private=0
index.php?t=getfile&id=471371&private=0

• Attachment: ANGUS 1.jpg
    (Size: 21.21KB, Downloaded 186 time(s))

• Attachment: ANGUS 3.jpg
    (Size: 20.12KB, Downloaded 188 time(s))

• Attachment: ANGUS 2.jpg
    (Size: 19.57KB, Downloaded 183 time(s))

Re: All things Western (Western Pleasure, Cutting, Reining etc) [message #2444090 is a reply to message #2442736 ] Thu, 13 October 2011 09:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  Dunlea_QHPalomino_Stables  is currently offline Dunlea_QHPalomino_Stables  
Completely Insane

These are my 3, My 2 mares & our new colt/stallion, they will be competiting soon out at their first western shows, with reining etc. really looking forward to it Very Happy Just got my new saddle I hope to see some of you out and about Very Happy

Cheers,
Stephanie.

Belle:
index.php?t=getfile&id=471666&private=0
index.php?t=getfile&id=471667&private=0

Missy:
index.php?t=getfile&id=471668&private=0
index.php?t=getfile&id=471669&private=0

Wilson:
index.php?t=getfile&id=471670&private=0

index.php?t=getfile&id=365264&private=0
Re: All things Western (Western Pleasure, Cutting, Reining etc) [message #2448941 is a reply to message #2063143 ] Tue, 18 October 2011 18:20 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
  lexifilly  is currently offline lexifilly  
Level 2
Anyone going to YVQHA 2 day show this weekend at Tonimbuk - this will be my paintbred filly's first show - hope she behaves!
Previous Topic:Standardbreds
Next Topic:The Viking Horse/Pony thread: Fjords & Icelandics
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Sep 20 21:55:27 EST 2014

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.04682 seconds
.:: Home ::.