[Home]       [Forum]       [Event Calendar]       [Forum Birthdays]

Home » Vichorse Forum » General - On Topic » Kieffer Wein Dressage Saddles
Kieffer Wein Dressage Saddles [message #2679242] Mon, 18 June 2012 09:27 Go to next message
  jumpingisflying  is currently offline jumpingisflying  
Level 1 - Advanced
I'm just curious as to what 2nd hand Kieffer Wein Dressage Saddles are currently going for? The saddle in question is about 25+ years old, in decent condition apart from some cat scratches, a little bit of the stitching is coming undone towards the back of the seat and fading on the seat. The price that the person has offered my I believe is too much for such an old saddle but wanted to see what others think it would be worth. Will upload pictures later.
Thanks!

[Updated on: Mon, 18 June 2012 09:28]

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff207/staceyfab/796a393a-2cb8-4bb4-b75c-2125d4fe0a28_zpsbaf8e47e.jpg
Vice President for the Victorian Side Saddle Association
www.facebook.com/groups/vicsidesaddle
Re: Kieffer Wein Dressage Saddles [message #2679686 is a reply to message #2679242 ] Mon, 18 June 2012 16:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  jumpingisflying  is currently offline jumpingisflying  
Level 1 - Advanced
Bump? Anyone?

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff207/staceyfab/796a393a-2cb8-4bb4-b75c-2125d4fe0a28_zpsbaf8e47e.jpg
Vice President for the Victorian Side Saddle Association
www.facebook.com/groups/vicsidesaddle
Re: Kieffer Wein Dressage Saddles [message #2679694 is a reply to message #2679242 ] Mon, 18 June 2012 16:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  megs  is currently offline megs  
This computer will self destruct in 10 posts

I paid $1800 secondhand, perfect condition over a year ago, was selling it for $1000 recently.

They are a wonderful saddle and hold value well Smile
Re: Kieffer Wein Dressage Saddles [message #2679700 is a reply to message #2679242 ] Mon, 18 June 2012 16:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  Emma  
Its my party and I'll hoo haa if I want to

You have to remember that a Keiffer that age probably wont have the plastic adjustable tree. Also, no matter how well made, all saddles have a certain lifespan. The better brands have a longer lifespan than the cheaper ones generally, but trees warp and twist over time, metal in the gullet and stirrup bars weakens and can develop stress faults which break with time, the leather stretches differently on each side as well. All things to keep in mind when buying an older saddle.

Toot toot chugga chugga big red car...
Re: Kieffer Wein Dressage Saddles [message #2679705 is a reply to message #2679700 ] Mon, 18 June 2012 16:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  megs  is currently offline megs  
This computer will self destruct in 10 posts

Emma wrote on Mon, 18 June 2012 16:45

You have to remember that a Keiffer that age probably wont have the plastic adjustable tree. Also, no matter how well made, all saddles have a certain lifespan. The better brands have a longer lifespan than the cheaper ones generally, but trees warp and twist over time, metal in the gullet and stirrup bars weakens and can develop stress faults which break with time, the leather stretches differently on each side as well. All things to keep in mind when buying an older saddle.

Mines old, not sure how old; the saddler says its adjustable with the kieffer infrared thingy...
Re: Kieffer Wein Dressage Saddles [message #2679718 is a reply to message #2679242 ] Mon, 18 June 2012 17:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  HeidiGA  
Stark, Raving Bonkers
If you find the serial number on it I'm fairly sure you can email Kieffer in Germany and get the details on it.

As to value - it depends on whether it suits your horse. I've seen some Weins go very cheaply. I think they are a 'funny' saddle - either love it or hate it saddle.

Home of Manely Equine and POSH
Saddles that fit & great looking riding wear.
http://www.posh.net.au
http://www.manelyequine.com.au

Currently on Maternity Leave so limited availability for Saddle Fitting.
Re: Kieffer Wein Dressage Saddles [message #2679729 is a reply to message #2679705 ] Mon, 18 June 2012 17:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  Emma  
Its my party and I'll hoo haa if I want to

megs wrote on Mon, 18 June 2012 16:53

Mines old, not sure how old; the saddler says its adjustable with the kieffer infrared thingy...

25 years old is nearly as old as I am! Pretty old for a saddle. Of course the amount of use the saddle has had is also a factor.

Toot toot chugga chugga big red car...
Re: Kieffer Wein Dressage Saddles [message #2679780 is a reply to message #2679729 ] Mon, 18 June 2012 17:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  hippypippa  is currently offline hippypippa  
Stark, Raving Bonkers
Emma wrote on Mon, 18 June 2012 17:12

megs wrote on Mon, 18 June 2012 16:53

25 years old is nearly as old as I am! Pretty old for a saddle. Of course the amount of use the saddle has had is also a factor.

I have a Lewa that was bought 2nd hand in 1983, and is still as comfortable as the day we bought it, and have never ever had a horse get a sore back from it. My son still competes in it on a regular basis. I also have a Kieffer Zugspitz (sp) close contact dressage, which I bought in about 1985 and is one of the most comfortable saddles I have ever ridden in. It needs repacking, but that is the only thing that it needs at the moment.

I have never had a saddle that has an adjustable tree, and have put these saddles on a variety of different size horses and ponies. I have never had a horse develop white markings from ill fitting saddle.

I have known many people who have bought the newer saddles that are all adjustable, and have the saddle fitter out, and horses are sore, white patches developing.

I think that too much emphasis is put on adjusting saddles, and only buying new saddles.
Re: Kieffer Wein Dressage Saddles [message #2679804 is a reply to message #2679242 ] Mon, 18 June 2012 18:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  HeidiGA  
Stark, Raving Bonkers
I had a 1980's Kieffer and an older Stubben that appeared to fit my guy but he wasn't hitting the high notes (movement wise) that I'd expect.
Since his new saddle arrived he started going better than ever.

I would have loved the old saddles to have done their job but unfortunately that isn't the case. The reality is that horses have got a lot wider in the last 20+ years. But it is great you are having such a good run out of older saddles.

Home of Manely Equine and POSH
Saddles that fit & great looking riding wear.
http://www.posh.net.au
http://www.manelyequine.com.au

Currently on Maternity Leave so limited availability for Saddle Fitting.
Re: Kieffer Wein Dressage Saddles [message #2679904 is a reply to message #2679242 ] Mon, 18 June 2012 19:30 Go to previous message
  cnotesjustfearless  is currently offline cnotesjustfearless  
Completely Insane
most keiffer weins that i have seen go for around $800. if its 25+yrs old, i wouldnt pay much!

FEARLESS DESIGNS providing you with quality graphic design at affordable prices
www.facebook.com/fearlessdesignsau
Previous Topic:Sickle Hocks & the Dressage Horse?
Next Topic:Saddle help
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 17 11:12:10 EST 2014

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02039 seconds

.:: Home ::.