[Home]       [Forum]       [Event Calendar]       [Forum Birthdays]

Home » Vichorse Forum » General - On Topic » Arena Etiquette
Arena Etiquette [message #2679801] Mon, 18 June 2012 18:04 Go to next message
  bunny b  
Troppo. Loco. Round the twist.
This post is addressed to the selfish prat I encountered today. Evil or Very Mad

If you have a horse with a respiritory infection, that's coughing and snotting everywhere, not only shouldn't it be ridden but riding it in a shared indoor arena exposes other peoples horses to your horses illness. I don't care how special you think you are, you do not have the right to make other peoples horses sick. Be responsible and don't spread it around.

Thank-you. I feel better now. Smile
Re: Arena Etiquette [message #2679829 is a reply to message #2679801 ] Mon, 18 June 2012 18:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  claire1  
The forum drove me to drink. Remind me to thank it.
That's bloody selfish.....

And dangerous to the horse.....

Dickhead!!!!!!

Offical member of the AHC Somerville branch.

2007 HOOFA's Award - Bestest Poker player on the Forum

Re: Arena Etiquette [message #2680003 is a reply to message #2679801 ] Mon, 18 June 2012 21:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  FCEH  
Stark, Raving Bonkers
What a fool. Pity her horse too.

Hopefully it isn't paddocked with or near other 'inncoent' horses at an agistment centre somewhere?

There seems to be a few really virulent coughs and colds around this season.
Re: Arena Etiquette [message #2680025 is a reply to message #2679801 ] Mon, 18 June 2012 21:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  Horseychick01  is currently offline Horseychick01  
Level 1
I would have told the prat to take her farking horse out and get a vet to it regardless on how "Special" she is.

Would love to go on a world trip and not have a worry in the world.
Re: Arena Etiquette [message #2680054 is a reply to message #2679801 ] Mon, 18 June 2012 22:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  in.the.saddle  
Step away from the computer,
Confused I hope you know the difference: my horse always has a good cough/snort during warmup and I can assure you she is not ill. I have, however, had people expose my mare to their unwell horses at events and me bring her home sick Sad

quote: you can’t reason a person out of a position they didn’t arrive at through reason
Re: Arena Etiquette [message #2680182 is a reply to message #2680054 ] Tue, 19 June 2012 05:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  Horseychick01  is currently offline Horseychick01  
Level 1
in.the.saddle wrote on Mon, 18 June 2012 22:03

Confused I hope you know the difference: my horse always has a good cough/snort during warmup and I can assure you she is not ill. I have, however, had people expose my mare to their unwell horses at events and me bring her home sick Sad

The horse that Bunny B described had snot coming out of it's nose as well, that's the difference. We have an old stallion that does the cough and snort thingy when he goes around as well and he doesn't cough constantly, just the once or twice.

Would love to go on a world trip and not have a worry in the world.
Re: Arena Etiquette [message #2680509 is a reply to message #2679801 ] Tue, 19 June 2012 13:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  bunny b  
Troppo. Loco. Round the twist.
Definately a sick horse. It has been seen by a Vet and is on Antibiotics as it has a secondary bacterial infection. The owner intends to continue riding daily. I am reluctant to use the indoor now because I don't want sick horses Sad
Re: Arena Etiquette [message #2680561 is a reply to message #2680509 ] Tue, 19 June 2012 14:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  Onfire  is currently offline Onfire  
Level 4
bunny b wrote on Tue, 19 June 2012 13:15

Definately a sick horse. It has been seen by a Vet and is on Antibiotics as it has a secondary bacterial infection. The owner intends to continue riding daily. I am reluctant to use the indoor now because I don't want sick horses Sad

Is this an agistment centre since you are sharing the indoor? Perhaps management could make them 'rest' their horse. They sound a right arsehole TBH.... Who wants to work when you are sick on antibiotics? Poor horse.
Re: Arena Etiquette [message #2680681 is a reply to message #2680561 ] Tue, 19 June 2012 17:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  claire1  
The forum drove me to drink. Remind me to thank it.
Not only poor horse, but very bad management........

It's a welfare issue...you dont train at the gym when you're sick on antibiotics cos it's dangerous......why would ou do it to a,horse,..

Offical member of the AHC Somerville branch.

2007 HOOFA's Award - Bestest Poker player on the Forum

Re: Arena Etiquette [message #2680946 is a reply to message #2679801 ] Tue, 19 June 2012 21:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  FCEH  
Stark, Raving Bonkers
Crikey, that is entirely irresponsible. Is she planning on competing anywhere this weekend? Advise the MCP stewards.

So many risks working performance horses with respiratory infections. It can have pretty serious long term effects like raised cilia (little hairs in the throat) and ongoing lung problems. The immune system usually hits rock bottom too making the poor horse susceptible to all and everything.

I don't know your situation but if she is a paying user of the facility that you too pay to use then I would be fairly insistant that the owner of the facility places her horse on restrictions.

Interesting to note other posters mention their horses have a couple of coughs at the start of a work out. I have noticed mine do too but only when worked indoors. Usually they have a cough then a few snorts just as we start trotting...The indoor I use is spotless and is a course sort of sandy gravel - not dusty at all...

Wonder what causes it?
Re: Arena Etiquette [message #2680979 is a reply to message #2680946 ] Tue, 19 June 2012 21:32 Go to previous message
  blackorlando  is currently offline blackorlando  
Unstoppable, ungaggable, unzippable
Maybe she doesn't know 'arena etiquette" and the risks associated with respiratory infections. It's generally not something genetically programmed into us.

Hopefully some nice responsible person will explain it to her.
Previous Topic:Horse Transport
Next Topic:Truck Insurance
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 24 10:39:05 EST 2014

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01531 seconds

.:: Home ::.