[Home]       [Forum]       [Event Calendar]       [Forum Birthdays]

Home » Vichorse Forum » General - Off Topic » Clay target shooting
Clay target shooting [message #2679910] Mon, 18 June 2012 19:35 Go to next message
  hippypippa  is currently offline hippypippa  
Stark, Raving Bonkers
My son had his first competition today. It was at an interschool at the Sale Field and Game property.

He ended up with 11/20 on a simulated field. This was great, as he had never fired any sort of gun prior to 4 weeks ago.

He even did better than some of the kids that have been shooting for years.

This was all done on a 60 year old single barrel shotgun (only allowed one shot anyway, at each target).

He had never even seen a simulated trap prior to yesterday, when we went up to Sale to have a practice.

His team, which was the schools number 4 team (lowest ranked shooters), came 8th out of about 30 odd teams.

We have bought a new shotgun, which he should have prior to next competition, but I reckon he is going to miss the single barrel.
Re: Clay target shooting [message #2679931 is a reply to message #2679910 ] Mon, 18 June 2012 20:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  Isaboe  
Its my party and I'll hoo haa if I want to
My son did clay shooting...loved it Smile Has he joined a local club or only does it at school. If he joins a club he will learn so much from the older shooters and its also a great social atmosphere.
Re: Clay target shooting [message #2679932 is a reply to message #2679910 ] Mon, 18 June 2012 20:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  claire1  
The forum drove me to drink. Remind me to thank it.
Wow....what a little champ,!

He's a natural!

I'd love to do target shooting!

Offical member of the AHC Somerville branch.

2007 HOOFA's Award - Bestest Poker player on the Forum

Re: Clay target shooting [message #2679947 is a reply to message #2679910 ] Mon, 18 June 2012 20:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Stark, Raving Bonkers
We hadn't even thought of clubs at this stage, wasn't sure he would really like it enough to stick to it. Wrong, he LOVES it Laughing We are thinking of joining Field and Game, as most of the clubs have shoots once a month, at different venues, and they seem to be really helpful, and are quite happy to give out advice.

The 9 year old came along to the practice yesterday, and is determined to get his junior permit when old enough. Tiny as he is, I think the gun would be bigger than him.

We may need to buy a clay target machine, then find somewhere to use it. There aren't really many places to practice.
Re: Clay target shooting [message #2679965 is a reply to message #2679947 ] Mon, 18 June 2012 20:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  Isaboe  
Its my party and I'll hoo haa if I want to
hippypippa wrote on Mon, 18 June 2012 20:14

We hadn't even thought of clubs at this stage, wasn't sure he would really like it enough to stick to it. Wrong, he LOVES it Laughing We are thinking of joining Field and Game, as most of the clubs have shoots once a month, at different venues, and they seem to be really helpful, and are quite happy to give out advice.

The 9 year old came along to the practice yesterday, and is determined to get his junior permit when old enough. Tiny as he is, I think the gun would be bigger than him.

We may need to buy a clay target machine, then find somewhere to use it. There aren't really many places to practice.

Dont make our mistake and buy a cheaper one...didnt last long at all Rolls Eyes We take ours down the back paddock but also keep in mind that the little buggars go through the targets quickly so it adds up. Even the ones they miss more than likley break when they hit the ground. Kids have just as much fun with targets drawn on cardboard and attached to fence posts. We joke in our house that if the OH is ever trying to shoot me then all I have to do is stand still because he can only hit a moving target Laughing Too many clay targets I think. Rolls Eyes Our gun club meets once a fortnight for practice sessions and once a month for comp. Not a cheap sport by any means but it is good fun Smile
Re: Clay target shooting [message #2680051 is a reply to message #2679910 ] Mon, 18 June 2012 21:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  sunnys lodge  is currently offline sunnys lodge  
Level 3
awesome, just imagine what hes going to be like when he gets more practice Surprised You must be so proud. I could not imagine bug with a shot gun Laughing you must post a pic of him with stevens new gun.
Re: Clay target shooting [message #2680834 is a reply to message #2679910 ] Tue, 19 June 2012 20:08 Go to previous message
Stark, Raving Bonkers
Gun would probably weigh more as well. Laughing Thomas had the camera, so couldn't get any pictures, and phone takes cr@p photos.
Previous Topic:Strong dog rugs
Next Topic:My pet hates ...rant rant
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Oct 23 22:42:51 EST 2014

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02006 seconds

.:: Home ::.