[Home]       [Forum]       [Event Calendar]       [Forum Birthdays]

Home » Vichorse Forum » General - Off Topic » be careful people
be careful people [message #2721737] Sun, 12 August 2012 22:59 Go to next message
  country.cowgirl  is currently offline country.cowgirl  
Step away from the computer,

Just got a strange email

complete with ATO heading, professionally worded, a ato link etc. complete with copyright signatures all at the bottom - actually looks 'legit' and one I double took at!!
the link opens to a site that looks exactly the same as the ATO - the only difference the site address in the bar at the top of the screen and not all the links work (more an image base) and it asks for personal details
Be careful people - the scammers are getting worse Sad

Quote:

http://blog.receipt-bank.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/ATO_logo.jpg

Dear cowgirlboot@live.com.au ,

After the last annual calculations of your fiscal activity we have discovered that you are eligible to receive a tax refund of $210.75 AUD. Kindly complete the tax refund request and allow 6-9 working days to process it.

A refund can be delayed for a variety of reasons. For example submitting invalid records or applying after the deadline.

To access the form for your tax refund, please visit:

www.ato.gov.au/taxpayers/refundation.html_verify?puser=cowgirlboot@live.com.au

Important note about your online refund:

For security reasons, we will record your ip-address, the date and time. Deliberate wrong inputs are criminally pursued and persecuted.

Secure Socket Layer (SSL) Encryption

Extended Validation Secure Socket Layer, or EVSSL for short, means that our site has undergone many rigorous checks to confirm its validity, and has been provided with a 'certificate of authenticity' which can be recognised by your browser.

Sincerely,

Australian Taxation Office (ATO)

Copyright 2012 Australian Taxation Office. All rights reserved.

I have reported it, but thought I best put up a warning in case someone else recieves it and goes to fall for it!!

http://oi50.tinypic.com/1zq4zo2.jpg
Re: be careful people [message #2721750 is a reply to message #2721737 ] Sun, 12 August 2012 23:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  Bellasmum  
You know what you are doing.
I think the word persecuted might have given it away as a scam Smile

Meryl - (but you can call me Marion)
Authorised member of the “ph Club”
Certificate MAC3475

Re: be careful people [message #2721777 is a reply to message #2721750 ] Mon, 13 August 2012 06:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  Mac  
The forum drove me to drink. Remind me to thank it.

never mind the spelling mistake ... the whole thing REEKS of scam. Confused

with the well known history of this sort of scam activity, and the ongoing warnings about giving personal information to others, anyone stupid enough to fall for it is ... well, just stupid. Sad

Re: be careful people [message #2722095 is a reply to message #2721777 ] Mon, 13 August 2012 12:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  Bellasmum  
You know what you are doing.
Mac wrote on Mon, 13 August 2012 06:22

never mind the spelling mistake ... the whole thing REEKS of scam. Confused

with the well known history of this sort of scam activity, and the ongoing warnings about giving personal information to others, anyone stupid enough to fall for it is ... well, just stupid. Sad

But Macment, they sent it to her email address, mention ip dresses and everything Laughing Laughing Laughing When was the last time you heard a tax period for individuals referred to as "fiscal" Rolls Eyes Rolls Eyes

Meryl - (but you can call me Marion)
Authorised member of the “ph Club”
Certificate MAC3475

Re: be careful people [message #2722157 is a reply to message #2722095 ] Mon, 13 August 2012 13:55 Go to previous message
  Mac  
The forum drove me to drink. Remind me to thank it.

talking of which ... been a while since we saw this beauty. Very Happy

index.php?t=getfile&id=522473&private=0

• Attachment: ip dress.JPG
    (Size: 26.29KB, Downloaded 132 time(s))

Previous Topic:Returning a parcel with no address?
Next Topic:Divorce vs. Murder:
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Oct 25 22:55:19 EST 2014

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01376 seconds
.:: Home ::.