[Home]       [Forum]       [Event Calendar]       [Forum Birthdays]

Home » Vichorse Forum » General - Off Topic » The Amazing Dr Pol -reality rural vet show
The Amazing Dr Pol -reality rural vet show [message #2918523] Sat, 20 April 2013 21:26 Go to next message
  fluffy1  
Troppo. Loco. Round the twist.
Amazing show on Animal Planet, not your usual pretty 'vet' show Smile

Dr Pol is an amazing vet in rural Michigan, going around to farms, doing broken leg fixes for calves, pulling porcupine barbs from dog faces, extracting a dead in-utero calf, repairing a dog's tail that got slammed in a door... All in one ep Smile

This guy is a real vet dude Smile

I'm going to link this show on IQ Nod
Re: The Amazing Dr Pol -reality rural vet show [message #2918530 is a reply to message #2918523 ] Sat, 20 April 2013 21:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  bunny b  
Unstoppable, ungaggable, unzippable
I like Dr Pol, he rocks, but that lady Vet is a real sap. Glad I don't work with her or the son.
Re: The Amazing Dr Pol -reality rural vet show [message #2918542 is a reply to message #2918530 ] Sat, 20 April 2013 21:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  fluffy1  
bunny b wrote on Sat, 20 April 2013 21:29

I like Dr Pol, he rocks, but that lady Vet is a real sap. Glad I don't work with her or the son.

Laughing @ "a real sap"

Thx bunny b, the lady vet didnt make an appearance in the ep I saw Wink
I am looking forward to more joy with Dr Pol Smile what a guy!!!

Re: The Amazing Dr Pol -reality rural vet show [message #2918547 is a reply to message #2918542 ] Sat, 20 April 2013 21:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  bunny b  
fluffy1 wrote on Sat, 20 April 2013 21:39

bunny b wrote on Sat, 20 April 2013 21:29

Laughing @ "a real sap"

Thx bunny b, the lady vet didnt make an appearance in the ep I saw Wink
I am looking forward to more joy with Dr Pol Smile what a guy!!!

Trust me, she has the personality of a pile of toenail clippings. I don't know how Dr Pol puts up with her. He is such an upbeat, can do guy. She is a real downer.
Re: The Amazing Dr Pol -reality rural vet show [message #2918608 is a reply to message #2918547 ] Sat, 20 April 2013 23:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  WelshRgr8  
Stark, Raving Bonkers
Oh i love Dr Pol...he's so down to earth...and inventive! love the show Very Happy

Clynderwyn Welsh Mountain Ponies
Home of Salient Blue Boy 2nd
We choose Welsh and Standardbreds for driving and riding
Re: The Amazing Dr Pol -reality rural vet show [message #2918682 is a reply to message #2918523 ] Sun, 21 April 2013 07:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  Groucho  
The forum drove me to drink. Remind me to thank it.
I actually watched that episode last night as well

Its a great show, I like his no nonsense approach...

Very cool vet

The "vet lady" is his wife?????

[Updated on: Sun, 21 April 2013 07:09]

Re: The Amazing Dr Pol -reality rural vet show [message #2919067 is a reply to message #2918682 ] Sun, 21 April 2013 16:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  honeyjoy  
Shocked He has been fined and placed on probation before.

He's totally outdated in his methods, totally unacceptable in his practices Sad

Would you like him to operate on your animal with no oxygen, no pain relief, no nurse?
Let alone ortho surgery with very little regard to sterility?

There are scores of industry people up in arms about his "methods"!
Re: The Amazing Dr Pol -reality rural vet show [message #2919138 is a reply to message #2918523 ] Sun, 21 April 2013 17:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  bunny b  
I know he causes hoo haa but honestly, I would rather him doing surgery than just about every young Vet I have ever had the pleasure Rolls Eyes to work with. When I started Vet nursing many, many years ago we didn't have gas anaesthetics, we sterilized instuments in a pressure cooker on a gas hob and my then Boss would do bitch speys on the bonnet of his car in a paddock. He didn't have post op infections the way some modern super slick clinics seem to have. He hardly ever had an anaesthetic death, unlike some more modern Vets I could mention and he was a man who fixed things. He didn't need to spend thousands of dollars on work ups. He just got on with it. Sadly he is dead now but I reckon he could teach the young ones a thing or two about being practical and economical.

I've watched Dr Pol quite a few times and I've never seen anything that's made me go Confused unlike Dr Harry who I have seen do surgery wearing his wedding ring. I definately went Confused when I saw that. Maybe I just haven't seen the right episodes of Dr Pol to see him doing dodgy things but from what I have seen I think he's an honest, straight forward guy doing a hard job in an area where there doesn't seem to be a lot of money.

[Updated on: Sun, 21 April 2013 18:30]

Re: The Amazing Dr Pol -reality rural vet show [message #2919170 is a reply to message #2919138 ] Sun, 21 April 2013 18:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  honeyjoy  
bunny b wrote on Sun, 21 April 2013 17:51

I know he causes hoo haa but honestly, I would rather him doing surgery than just about every young Vet I have ever had the pleasure Rolls Eyes to work with. When I started Vet nursing many, many years ago we didn't have gas anaesthetics, we sterilized instuments in a pressure cooker on a gas hob and my then Boss would do bitch speys on the bonnet of his car in a paddock. He didn't have post op infections the way some modern super slick clinics seem to have. He hardly ever had an anaesthetic death, unlike some more modern Vets I could mention and he was a man who fixed things. He didn't need to spend thousands of dollars on work ups. He just got on with it. Sadly he is dead now but I reckon he could teach the young ones a thing or two about being practical. Smile

I don't think he causes hoo haa? I think his methods are extremely questionable!

I also worked with a much older vet who did things in a practical way, but really,these days we have much better reasons for doing thing properly!

Quote:

Let me give you some examples from the show:

A dog’s tail is amputated on an exam table without proper anesthesia or sterile technique.
A dog’s femoral head (top of rear leg bone) is cut off without proper pain medication and sterile technique.
A mauled puppy is placed in a cage and dies.
A dog that probably had a ball stuck in its GI tract dies without the benefit of hydration or surgery.
A Boston terrier’s eye is removed without sufficient anesthesia, pain meds, sterile technique or intubation (anesthesia delivered via a tube down the trachea so this brachycephalic dog can breathe.) They have enough trouble breathing when they’re awake!

http://www.petsadviser.com/vet/dr-pol-controversy/

And for some really eye opening comments, and a damn entertaining read, try this site : http://vetsbehavingbadly.blogspot.com.au/2012/01/not-so-incr edible-dr-pol.html

I'd like to hope that no vets in Australia would still be doing things like dr pol, but I'd be wrong, sadly. Sad
Re: The Amazing Dr Pol -reality rural vet show [message #2919187 is a reply to message #2919170 ] Sun, 21 April 2013 18:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  bunny b  
honeyjoy wrote on Sun, 21 April 2013 18:32

I know he causes hoo haa but honestly, I would rather him doing surgery than just about every young Vet I have ever had the pleasure Rolls Eyes to work with. When I started Vet nursing many, many years ago we didn't have gas anaesthetics, we sterilized instuments in a pressure cooker on a gas hob and my then Boss would do bitch speys on the bonnet of his car in a paddock. He didn't have post op infections the way some modern super slick clinics seem to have. He hardly ever had an anaesthetic death, unlike some more modern Vets I could mention and he was a man who fixed things. He didn't need to spend thousands of dollars on work ups. He just got on with it. Sadly he is dead now but I reckon he could teach the young ones a thing or two about being practical. Smile

I don't think he causes hoo haa? I think his methods are extremely questionable!

I also worked with a much older vet who did things in a practical way, but really,these days we have much better reasons for doing thing properly!

Quote:

A dog’s tail is amputated on an exam table without proper anesthesia or sterile technique.
A dog’s femoral head (top of rear leg bone) is cut off without proper pain medication and sterile technique.
A dog that probably had a ball stuck in its GI tract dies without the benefit of hydration or surgery.
A Boston terrier’s eye is removed without sufficient anesthesia, pain meds, sterile technique or intubation (anesthesia delivered via a tube down the trachea so this brachycephalic dog can breathe.) They have enough trouble breathing when they’re awake!

And for some really eye opening comments, and a damn entertaining read, try this site : http://vetsbehavingbadly.blogspot.com.au/2012/01/not-so-incr edible-dr-pol.html

I'd like to hope that no vets in Australia would still be doing things like dr pol, but I'd be wrong, sadly. Sad

Well I haven't seen the incidents in question but I do wonder what the definition of proper pain relief and proper aneasthesia are. As for the tail, was it intact or injured and hanging on by a thread.

I watched an real life emergency ward show a while ago. A guy was brought in with an open ankle fracture. His foot was at right angle. They weren't able to do surgery until the next day and they wanted to reduce the fracture so they had nurses hold him down on the bed and pulled the ankle straight Shocked Shocked Shocked no anaestesia, no morphine just a quick yank. Nobody jumping up and down about that Confused
Re: The Amazing Dr Pol -reality rural vet show [message #2919276 is a reply to message #2919187 ] Sun, 21 April 2013 20:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  fluffy1  
Oh dear!! I had no idea Dr Pol was so controversial Shocked
Re: The Amazing Dr Pol -reality rural vet show [message #2920559 is a reply to message #2918523 ] Tue, 23 April 2013 10:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  laurencarbs  is currently offline laurencarbs  
Level 2
I'd like to check out this controversial vet, anywhere I can watch an episode? I don't have Foxtel Sad
Re: The Amazing Dr Pol -reality rural vet show [message #2920600 is a reply to message #2920559 ] Tue, 23 April 2013 10:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  fluffy1  
laurencarbs wrote on Tue, 23 April 2013 10:12

I'd like to check out this controversial vet, anywhere I can watch an episode? I don't have Foxtel Sad

I only of it through Animal Planet.
Maybe you can find episodes on the internet
Re: The Amazing Dr Pol -reality rural vet show [message #2921906 is a reply to message #2920600 ] Wed, 24 April 2013 17:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Level 2
fluffy1 wrote on Tue, 23 April 2013 10:51

laurencarbs wrote on Tue, 23 April 2013 10:12

I only of it through Animal Planet.
Maybe you can find episodes on the internet

I looked all over the Internet Sad I thought surely there must be somewhere I can watch a full episode but all I can't find is short 2 minute clips.
Re: The Amazing Dr Pol -reality rural vet show [message #2921983 is a reply to message #2919187 ] Wed, 24 April 2013 18:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  honeyjoy  
bunny b wrote on Sun, 21 April 2013 18:51

Quote:

Well I haven't seen the incidents in question but I do wonder what the definition of proper pain relief and proper aneasthesia are.
As for the tail, was it intact or injured and hanging on by a thread.
does that bit really matter? the fact is the dog would have been in pain!
I watched an real life emergency ward show a while ago. A guy was brought in with an open ankle fracture. His foot was at right angle. They weren't able to do surgery until the next day and they wanted to reduce the fracture so they had nurses hold him down on the bed and pulled the ankle straight Shocked Shocked Shocked no anaestesia, no morphine just a quick yank. Nobody jumping up and down about that Confused

Proper pain relief? Easy!
A deadening or absence of the sense of pain without loss of consciousness. So, at the very minimum, depending on what is being done, NSAIDS or Opiates, or multi-modality analgesia, depending on procedure. If it would hurt you, it will hurt them!

Proper anaesthesia? Also easy! The absence of consciousness.

The days of animals being treated without good vascular access and airway support have long gone. We know know, how easily it is to support them to recover in the optimum way to cause the least amount of pain or discomfort.
The old chestnut given by old vets "don't give them pain relief, as it'll keep them quiet and stop them running around" myth should be tried on some of those old vets!

These days, these is no excuse for either not being done "properly" in any vet practice!

[Updated on: Wed, 24 April 2013 18:58]

Re: The Amazing Dr Pol -reality rural vet show [message #2921988 is a reply to message #2918523 ] Wed, 24 April 2013 18:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  Groucho  
Last nights episode would have made ya hair curl HJ

I was taking more notice this time...

Cow suspected of swallowing nails, wire (well metal really)...put a magnet down her stomach

Surprised Surprised Surprised Surprised Surprised

Also re: all the calf pulling they do...is it standard procedure to not give pain relief for this? Cos fark me, if someone had their arm, a chain, and god knows what else in my giny...Id need more than my head crushed in a set of bales..let me tell ya Surprised Laughing Laughing

[Updated on: Wed, 24 April 2013 19:01]

Re: The Amazing Dr Pol -reality rural vet show [message #2921989 is a reply to message #2921988 ] Wed, 24 April 2013 19:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  honeyjoy  
Groucho wrote on Wed, 24 April 2013 18:58

Cow suspected of swallowing nails, wire (well metal really)...put a magnet down her stomach

Actually Groucho, that's common! ( with some vets!)

Laughing

Re: The Amazing Dr Pol -reality rural vet show [message #2921993 is a reply to message #2921989 ] Wed, 24 April 2013 19:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  Groucho  
honeyjoy wrote on Wed, 24 April 2013 19:00

Laughing

Well there ya go!!!! You learn somefink new every day

PS I also edited my post above with a question
Re: The Amazing Dr Pol -reality rural vet show [message #2921999 is a reply to message #2921993 ] Wed, 24 April 2013 19:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  honeyjoy  
Groucho wrote on Wed, 24 April 2013 19:02

honeyjoy wrote on Wed, 24 April 2013 19:00

Laughing

Well there ya go!!!! You learn somefink new every day

PS I also edited my post above with a question

Google rumen magnets! That'll make your eyes water!

Dystocias? Nope, pain relief is not commonly used in mares, ewes or cows, even bitches, or queens that are delivering, however, many end up with Caesars so after, as you don't want the passive drug transfer to the neonate.

But I hear where you are coming from! The huge release of endorphins should suffice, but that's not to say that a lot of vets would give something with a particularly nasty one. You have to think though, some are production animals.

[Updated on: Wed, 24 April 2013 19:08]

Re: The Amazing Dr Pol -reality rural vet show [message #2922007 is a reply to message #2921983 ] Wed, 24 April 2013 19:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  Stockhorse  
Stark, Raving Bonkers
honeyjoy wrote on Wed, 24 April 2013 18:56

Quote:

Well I haven't seen the incidents in question but I do wonder what the definition of proper pain relief and proper aneasthesia are.

A deadening or absence of the sense of pain without loss of consciousness. So, at the very minimum, depending on what is being done, NSAIDS or Opiates, or multi-modality analgesia, depending on procedure. If it would hurt you, it will hurt them!

The days of animals being treated without good vascular access and airway support have long gone. We know know, how easily it is to support them to recover in the optimum way to cause the least amount of pain or discomfort.
The old chestnut given by old vets "don't give them pain relief, as it'll keep them quiet and stop them running around" myth should be tried on some of those old vets!

These days, these is no excuse for either not being done "properly" in any vet practice!

Interestingly enough people get treated like this, with not enough pain relief so that 'you don't overdo it', although you would like to think most people have enough sense to avoid it. I was a little concerned though when I was given this response when my 5yo had her appendix out and was told the pain would keep her from running around too much.

The thing I do wonder about though with anaesethics these days is the dogs take far longer to recover than when it was a simple injectable. I have a couple of dogs that take up to 5 days to be back to normal after going under to have grasseeds removed, whereas when I used to help 'way back when' the dogs would be up and about within no time with no after affects. I realise there have been many advances since then, just sometimes I wonder if they are for the better in terms of things that could be done more quickly with less drugs.
Re: The Amazing Dr Pol -reality rural vet show [message #2922013 is a reply to message #2922007 ] Wed, 24 April 2013 19:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  honeyjoy  
Stockhorse wrote on Wed, 24 April 2013 19:13

honeyjoy wrote on Wed, 24 April 2013 18:56

Quote:

Interestingly enough people get treated like this, with not enough pain relief so that 'you don't overdo it', although you would like to think most people have enough sense to avoid it. I was a little concerned though when I was given this response when my 5yo had her appendix out and was told the pain would keep her from running around too much.

The thing I do wonder about though with anaesethics these days is the dogs take far longer to recover than when it was a simple injectable. I have a couple of dogs that take up to 5 days to be back to normal after going under to have grasseeds removed, whereas when I used to help 'way back when' the dogs would be up and about within no time with no after affects. I realise there have been many advances since then, just sometimes I wonder if they are for the better in terms of things that could be done more quickly with less drugs.

Sorry Stockhorse, but dogs taking 5 days to get to normal is not good! Most anaesthetic drugs these days are extremely fast acting and have excellent recovery, enabling the patients to get back to normal. The disturbance could be just the ear canal irritation after the foreign body, but that should stop with 24-36 hours normally.

I would guess at what the drug is that they use! And it's quite cheap! And quite old school.

Eta all surgery I have had ( biggies) or my daughter ( had emergency appendectomy) have been on opiates via drip/pump for a few days or given opiates to take orally for some time after. Pain management is a huge thing these days. It can seriously delay healing if you get behind, so to speak.

[Updated on: Wed, 24 April 2013 19:22]

Re: The Amazing Dr Pol -reality rural vet show [message #2922134 is a reply to message #2918523 ] Wed, 24 April 2013 20:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  bunny b  
When my son was young he had a rather large inguinal hernia repair done. I asked about pain relief and the surgeon said "nah, we don't bother until they become teenagers and get sooky." To be fair, my son was bouncing around the next day and felt he was "all better" so had no need of it. I guess it depends on the case and the surgeon doing the surgery Smile

[Updated on: Wed, 24 April 2013 22:18]

Re: The Amazing Dr Pol -reality rural vet show [message #2922390 is a reply to message #2918523 ] Thu, 25 April 2013 09:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  Cameo  
Level 1 - Advanced
Thankyou for this post! Very Happy

i dont have foxtel so had never heard of it but just found all the episodes online so one good thing has come out of me being stuck home horribly sick today Sad Surprised

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g185/Roxxi_Summer/cameocopy.jpg
Re: The Amazing Dr Pol -reality rural vet show [message #2922642 is a reply to message #2922390 ] Thu, 25 April 2013 12:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Level 2
Cameo wrote on Thu, 25 April 2013 09:02

i dont have foxtel so had never heard of it but just found all the episodes online so one good thing has come out of me being stuck home horribly sick today Sad Surprised

Shocked where did you find them? I've looked everywhere!
Re: The Amazing Dr Pol -reality rural vet show [message #2922648 is a reply to message #2922642 ] Thu, 25 April 2013 12:52 Go to previous message
  honeyjoy  
laurencarbs wrote on Thu, 25 April 2013 12:45

Cameo wrote on Thu, 25 April 2013 09:02

Shocked where did you find them? I've looked everywhere!

You tube natgeowild.
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=w8bRkRGZ0ig

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=efV3Lk3kCK4

Previous Topic:Melbourne city council
Next Topic:Does anybody know this horse?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Sep 19 14:00:48 EST 2014

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.05315 seconds

.:: Home ::.