[Home]       [Forum]       [Event Calendar]       [Forum Birthdays]

Home » Vichorse Forum » General - On Topic » the worst night of my life
the worst night of my life [message #1095949] Mon, 13 April 2009 20:49 Go to next message
  tisse  
Level 1
well i just experienced the worst night of my life last night, around 6pm i went our to our agistment to feed our ponies and found my baby JJ, sitting down eating his hay. not a usual sight.

i called him and he got up and came over, again when food is around coming when called is not his thing.

a few days back i did think his tummy looked potty but assumemed that he may just be getting that dreaded hay belly, how wrong was i.

this is my first (and i hope last) experience with colic. i walked, dragged, sat on and cried with my baby from 6pm to 6am last night thinking the whole time he is going die on me. but finally after two oil drenchings and two shots of a muscle relaxant at roughly 5am he finally started poop, it was more sand than anything else, then he sprayed the yuckiest poop stuff i have ever seen.

today he is happy pooping sand and eating hay, but i have never been so scared in my life that i was going to have to bury him today.

i feel like i have gone 10 rounds with mike tyson (having to restle and sit on him when he went down and wanted to roll) but at the same time am so proud of myself because i know if i hadnt of spent the night with him he would of died.

i love my little mini man JJ, and the bond we have now is even stronger that it was before.

I SAVED HIS LIFE AND ITS THE BEST FEELING IN THE WORLD

this is my little man with my daughter

index.php?t=getfile&id=193408&private=0

[Updated on: Sat, 18 April 2009 09:28]

Re: the worst night of my life [message #1095971 is a reply to message #1095949 ] Mon, 13 April 2009 20:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  martina  is currently offline martina  
The forum drove me to drink. Remind me to thank it.
Saved his life ?! Rolls Eyes Well , good on yaa ..... but how could it come to this in the first place ?!
Sorry , might not get the full story here , but you only get sand colic if there is nothing else to eat ?! Right ?
I can see it happen any day at my agistment place to the ponies next to my paddock. They do get fed , but only once a day and there is nothing , but NOTHING Shocked in that paddock and I do see them digging for roots and eating sand all the time !!
Basically waiting for them to get sand colic any day. Please do tell me if there is any other way a horse can get sand colic if there is ?! Thanks
Cheers MARTINA

[Updated on: Mon, 13 April 2009 20:57]

Visit The City Barn

index.php?t=getfile&id=468031&private=0

Re: the worst night of my life [message #1095973 is a reply to message #1095949 ] Mon, 13 April 2009 20:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  Rickey.a  is currently offline Rickey.a  
This computer will self destruct in 10 posts
Oh your poor pony, tisse.
And hugs to you.
Good onya for staying with her all night, you must be stuffed.
So glad that she is much better now.
Re: the worst night of my life [message #1095977 is a reply to message #1095949 ] Mon, 13 April 2009 20:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  warmedfawnz  is currently offline warmedfawnz  
Troppo. Loco. Round the twist.
good to hear he came thru it.

and good on you for all your work dedication and love

Hope he is feeling 100% soon Very Happy

http://i.imgur.com/6Ndk4.jpg
Re: the worst night of my life [message #1095985 is a reply to message #1095949 ] Mon, 13 April 2009 20:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  mainstream  
you poor thing, and your poor little pony Sad

glad everything worked out for you Very Happy Very Happy

fluffy says: "Zam Zam's signature says it all!" Smile
index.php?t=getfile&id=21412&private=0
Re: the worst night of my life [message #1096018 is a reply to message #1095971 ] Mon, 13 April 2009 21:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  tisse  
Level 1
martina wrote on Mon, 13 April 2009 20:56

Saved his life ?! Rolls Eyes Well , good on yaa ..... but how could it come to this in the first place ?!
Sorry , might not get the full story here , but you only get sand colic if there is nothing else to eat ?! Right ?
I can see it happen any day at my agistment place to the ponies next to my paddock. They do get fed , but only once a day and there is nothing , but NOTHING Shocked in that paddock and I do see them digging for roots and eating sand all the time !!
Basically waiting for them to get sand colic any day. Please do tell me if there is any other way a horse can get sand colic if there is ?! Thanks
Cheers MARTINA

unless i spent the next 12 hours typing everthing that happened you would and could never know the whole story. obviously he had been eating sand, but i feed enough hay for him to be content, being the experienced horse person i know you are ( from reading your previous posts) i would expect that you should know what miniature ponies are like, i could feed him all the food in the world and he is still going nibble on the ground. he is wormed, has mineral blocks and is the most loved and looked after pony in the world. if you had any idea what i and that pony went through last night you might be so quick to judge and critise.

according to the vet, ponies are very prone to sand in there belly because there stomach is alot lower to the ground than bigger horses there fore that sand sits and is harder for them to move.
Re: the worst night of my life [message #1096025 is a reply to message #1095971 ] Mon, 13 April 2009 21:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  Neisje  is currently offline Neisje  
Out of my way, I am in the midst of a hoo haa monologue

Cheers MARTINA

If the horses are on sandy soil they can get sand colic no matter how much they get fed, horses forage for every scrap, every bit that falls on the ground (assuming the feed is fed OFF the ground which many people don't do to stop them ingesting sand) will get sucked up. And horses love to graze and no matter how much they are fed will go foraging for any blade of grass that is popping up.

BUT that said, yes having plenty to eat, will help reduce the amount of sand they ingest (eg the horse wont be shuffling around the dirt looking for every scrap)

If you are in an area with sandy soil, feed lots of hay (ad lib round bales if its possible) feed hard feed somewhere that stops them eating off the dirt if they tip it over/paw it out etc (eg big rubber mat on the ground) and give regular doses of psylium husks.

Neisje

Live your life in such a way that when your feet hit the floor in the morning, Satan shudders & says...
'Oh ****...she's awake!!'
Re: the worst night of my life [message #1096036 is a reply to message #1096018 ] Mon, 13 April 2009 21:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  monello  is currently offline monello  
Completely Insane
tisse wrote on Mon, 13 April 2009 21:11

Cheers MARTINA

unless i spent the next 12 hours typing everthing that happened you would and could never know the whole story. obviously he had been eating sand, but i feed enough hay for him to be content, being the experienced horse person i know you are ( from reading your previous posts) i would expect that you should know what miniature ponies are like, i could feed him all the food in the world and he is still going nibble on the ground. he is wormed, has mineral blocks and is the most loved and looked after pony in the world. if you had any idea what i and that pony went through last night you might be so quick to judge and critise.

according to the vet, ponies are very prone to sand in there belly because there stomach is alot lower to the ground than bigger horses there fore that sand sits and is harder for them to move.

my pony got sand colic from sifting through the dirt for ANY morsel of food left by everyone, was fed enough food, but being a pony had to eat anything possible.
you can get "sand lube" from feed stores, i fed it weekly and had no further probs.
glad everything worked out for you

its good to know at the end of the day he is always there to greet me with a smile.
Re: the worst night of my life [message #1096045 is a reply to message #1096018 ] Mon, 13 April 2009 21:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  zam zam  

Cheers MARTINA

Martina is not known for being subtle Rolls Eyes Rolls Eyes
Actually shes tactless.

Good on you for staying with your pony through the night and helping him pull through.
Did the vet recommend anything to help avoid the same situation from happening again?

zam zam xx

If it sparkles or its fluffy its all good.
Re: the worst night of my life [message #1096054 is a reply to message #1096018 ] Mon, 13 April 2009 21:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Cheers MARTINA

unless i spent the next 12 hours typing everthing that happened you would and could never know the whole story. Oh , believe me - I do know !! Having lost a few horses to colic !! Bl**dy shocking ! obviously he had been eating sand, but i feed enough hay for him to be content, being the experienced horse person i know you are ( from reading your previous posts) Thanks , but have no experience with the little ones Embarassed Well , a friend ( non horsey at all - keeps them as pet's ) had that problem - cost him $ 2000 for surgery ..... and i would expect that you should know what miniature ponies are like, i could feed him all the food in the world and he is still going nibble on the ground.
"Man" - I honestly don't know how these little ones next to me survived so far ?! NO WAY - there is ever ever going to be grass growing in that paddock. So - YES , I guess I know what you mean !? Rolls Eyes he is wormed, has mineral blocks and is the most loved and looked after pony in the world. Oh - PLEASE , don't see it that way ..... I just wasn't sure if it was just one of these " pet " owner's posting their terrible experience. Just makes my hair stand up taking to these "owner's" knowing everything at my agistment place. if you had any idea what i and that pony went through last night you might be so quick to judge and critise.
I do , as I sat there only a few times in the hospital after or before surgery ! NOTHING - one can do. So , you have been lucky !according to the vet, ponies are very prone to sand in there belly because there stomach is alot lower to the ground than bigger horses there fore that sand sits and is harder for them to move.
Sounds funny , but I know it's not !!! Hope your little bloke comes good and wont eat too much sand again !!
Cheers MARTINA

Visit The City Barn

Re: the worst night of my life [message #1096063 is a reply to message #1096036 ] Mon, 13 April 2009 21:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  Pat-attack  
Its my party and I'll hoo haa if I want to
Sand colic is prevalent this time of year. It was 2 years ago next Thursday since my little pony Zac passed away after having a heart attack having survived his bout of sand colic. Old Smokie had colic at the same time, and thankfully, we were able to get him through.
Psyllium husk is now a regular part of the feeds all my horses get. I give a good handful to each horse in their hard feed for two consecutive nights a week, as directed by my vet. Smile
The drought is not doing any of us any favours. I haven't had grass in any of my paddocks for at least 8 years now Sad
Glad your pony made it through, but please keep a close eye on him.

A woman's place is on a horse......somewhere near Dunolly,
competing in a ruddy nav ride, and turning 2 pages at once!!!
Is Hawaii boring in July?? Sodomited is my new favourite word!!
Re: the worst night of my life [message #1096069 is a reply to message #1095949 ] Mon, 13 April 2009 21:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just want to add. , that I might have gone a bit harsh ..... as I just DO KNOW what this is like , but have seen a few cases were it was the fault of the owner's not the ature of the horse.
Some people just have no idea , but then you get the people doing everything right and it ( colic ) happens anyway.
It's Crying or Very Sad when you haven't got to blame yourself and you do everything you can and spend mega $$$ and all the Vet's say is :
Sorry , couldn't do nothing !
Crap , Crap , Crap ......... So , be happy the way it turned out for your little man !
Cheers MARTINA

Visit The City Barn

Re: the worst night of my life [message #1096097 is a reply to message #1096045 ] Mon, 13 April 2009 21:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
zam zam :
Actually shes tactless.
Of course - what are you then ?!Good on you for staying with your pony through the night and helping him pull through.
How many times have you done this ?? Not saying you haven't .... I just seemed to have had this experience a few times and I have been there for horses , which the owner's had no idea about how to keep them etc.
If that's "tactless " - Well , so be it ! I will do it again !
But can't tolerate people just talking and showing sympathy and not asking questions : WHY ??
Did the vet recommend anything to help avoid the same situation from happening again?
Oh , you are concernd then that there was a situation , which might have brought on this problem ?! I think the pony is in the best of care and it wont happen again.
Cheers MARTINA
zam zam xx
[/quote]

[Updated on: Mon, 13 April 2009 21:39]

Visit The City Barn

Re: the worst night of my life [message #1096099 is a reply to message #1096054 ] Mon, 13 April 2009 21:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  tisse  
Level 1
martina wrote on Mon, 13 April 2009 21:24

Cheers MARTINA

unless i spent the next 12 hours typing everthing that happened you would and could never know the whole story. Oh , believe me - I do know !! Having lost a few horses to colic !! Bl**dy shocking ! obviously he had been eating sand, but i feed enough hay for him to be content, being the experienced horse person i know you are ( from reading your previous posts) Thanks , but have no experience with the little ones Embarassed Well , a friend ( non horsey at all - keeps them as pet's ) had that problem - cost him $ 2000 for surgery ..... and i would expect that you should know what miniature ponies are like, i could feed him all the food in the world and he is still going nibble on the ground.
"Man" - I honestly don't know how these little ones next to me survived so far ?! NO WAY - there is ever ever going to be grass growing in that paddock. So - YES , I guess I know what you mean !? Rolls Eyes he is wormed, has mineral blocks and is the most loved and looked after pony in the world. Oh - PLEASE , don't see it that way ..... I just wasn't sure if it was just one of these " pet " owner's posting their terrible experience. Just makes my hair stand up taking to these "owner's" knowing everything at my agistment place. if you had any idea what i and that pony went through last night you might be so quick to judge and critise.
I do , as I sat there only a few times in the hospital after or before surgery ! NOTHING - one can do. So , you have been lucky !according to the vet, ponies are very prone to sand in there belly because there stomach is alot lower to the ground than bigger horses there fore that sand sits and is harder for them to move.
Sounds funny , but I know it's not !!! Hope your little bloke comes good and wont eat too much sand again !!
Cheers MARTINA

i know i dont post much but i love this site and soak up as much info as i can when visiting. we agist at our close friends property, they have a breaking, pre-training and race horse training stables therefore i have the best knowledge and facilities on hand 24 hours aday. i am also not stupid, i am a 36 year old mother of four children, i have four cats, four dogs and four ponies, i take the care and owner ship of my combined family very seriously, i will do what i have to to take care of them all, i had no hesitation in leaving my four children with their father while i spent the night caring for another member of our family.

i appreciate that you took the time to reply and be a litte bit more caring and understanding.

i have a connection with my animals that no many people understand and if the slightest thing is off, with any of them i know, and do not hesitate to do what needed.
Re: the worst night of my life [message #1096109 is a reply to message #1095949 ] Mon, 13 April 2009 21:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  pamela  is currently offline pamela  

we have had our first proper rainfall in months

WA in the next couple of weeks will be on sand colic alert Sad Sad kinda lucky where we keep our horse on river flats with real dirt Smile where a couple of properties up pure sand Sad

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i103/pamelagay/index.jpg
Re: the worst night of my life [message #1096110 is a reply to message #1096069 ] Mon, 13 April 2009 21:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  Bellasmum  
You know what you are doing.
martina wrote on Mon, 13 April 2009 21:29

Just want to add. , that I might have gone a bit harsh ..... as I just DO KNOW what this is like , but have seen a few cases were it was the fault of the owner's not the ature of the horse.
Some people just have no idea , but then you get the people doing everything right and it ( colic ) happens anyway.
It's Crying or Very Sad when you haven't got to blame yourself and you do everything you can and spend mega $$$ and all the Vet's say is :
Crap , Crap , Crap ......... So , be happy the way it turned out for your little man !
Cheers MARTINA

what are you on Confused

Meryl - (but you can call me Marion)
Authorised member of the “ph Club”
Certificate MAC3475

Re: the worst night of my life [message #1096118 is a reply to message #1096069 ] Mon, 13 April 2009 21:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  Rickey.a  is currently offline Rickey.a  
Yep, my little mini is a real guts too. She eats constantly. She is like the yearling. But atm they are getting fed four times a day so they are constantly eating.

The other day, one of my horses dragged a bag of feed out from under the stable wall and sprawled it all through the dirt. I caught them fossicking through the dirt to eat the pellets so I closed off the area. I am terrified of sand colic as Ive heard horrific stories about it. But, had I not seen them doing it, sand colic could have been imminent(sp?).

I have just fed psyllium husks for three days and will pop it in their feed again tomorrow just to be sure.

I think you have to be so careful at this time of the year with sand colic. And spend time watching your horses to see what they get up to.
Re: the worst night of my life [message #1096134 is a reply to message #1096110 ] Mon, 13 April 2009 21:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bellasmum wrote on Mon, 13 April 2009 21:42

Cheers MARTINA

what are you on Confused

What do you want to know ?

Visit The City Barn

Re: the worst night of my life [message #1096138 is a reply to message #1095949 ] Mon, 13 April 2009 21:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  Molly73  is currently offline Molly73  
Level 2
My HORSE got sand colic last year (I think?).
She has never had a problem with colic before ....
Found her standing next to a tree doing that thing with her lip curled up (like when they smell something and then curl their lip ). No other signs!!! Kept watching her and she didnt stop with the lip thing. Went into the paddock and started looking at her .... noticed her gut was very tense and could actually feel the compaction in her intestines.
Called vet. She was given muscle relaxant and oil drench. Then I had to sit up with her until she pooed!!
It was about 3-4 am before this happened!
So I can understand how you feel!! But it is a relief!!

My horses are fed in those large recycled tyre tubs....
But some of their feed always ends up on the ground.
They get plenty of feed and they get a variety of feed.

But its the drought that is most to blame.
When we first moved to our property, the grass was green and knee high. I too havent seen a blade of grass for several years!

As part of their feedig regime, our horses and ponies get sand factor or psyllum husks in their feed about once every alternatve week ...... just as a precaution!

Re: the worst night of my life [message #1096155 is a reply to message #1096097 ] Mon, 13 April 2009 21:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  zam zam  
martina wrote on Mon, 13 April 2009 21:38

zam zam :
Actually shes tactless.
Of course - what are you then ?!Good on you for staying with your pony through the night and helping him pull through.
How many times have you done this ?? Not saying you haven't .... I just seemed to have had this experience a few times and I have been there for horses , which the owner's had no idea about how to keep them etc.
If that's "tactless " - Well , so be it ! I will do it again !
But can't tolerate people just talking and showing sympathy and not asking questions : WHY ??
Oh , you are concernd then that there was a situation , which might have brought on this problem ?! I think the pony is in the best of care and it wont happen again.
Cheers MARTINA
zam zam xx

[/quote]

Martina my very first pony died of colic.
I had him for 21 years.
Had anyone responded to me the way you did............
God help them.
I was genuinely interested in what the vet said, seeing many other readers could benefit from this post and the vets advice on what they could do to avoid thid situation happening to them. Rolls Eyes
Common sense and Im sure no offence taken by the OP.
Colic is heartbreaking, next time you see a post like this, try, if you can, finding it in your heart not to be such a cow.

zam zam xx

Re: the worst night of my life [message #1096167 is a reply to message #1095949 ] Mon, 13 April 2009 22:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  tisse  
Level 1
i sat with, walked and cried with my little fella the whole time thinking is it too late has his bowel twisted, am i just making him suffer. because i knew at the start it was unual for him to be sitting down nibbling his hay i new straight away something was wrong.

its the rolling and thrashing around they do with colic that kills, it twists their bowels, when this happens they cant pass anything. we caught it before he had a chance to roll around all night, if i hadnt of took notice earlier and just thought he was resting then i more than likely would of went out today and found a dead pony.

it was me and him all alone, in the freezing cold, when he got to the point where he would fall over from pain and exhustion then want to roll i would sit on him and stroke his face but when his eyes rolled around and his mouths was hanging open and his breathing was horrible i really thought i was going to loose him. the point is, a situation happened ( as we all know does when you own horses) i took responsibility and did what i had to do. i have never felt so alone in all my life but i did it for him because the day i brought him home as a yearling his care and well being were placed in my hands.

all i wanted to do was share my story with all you guys because i know most of you are as dedicated to your horses as i am, and if anyone would understand what i went through last night i thought vichorse members would.
Re: the worst night of my life [message #1096168 is a reply to message #1095949 ] Mon, 13 April 2009 22:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  I<3Sammy  
Level 2
Psyllium husks - where do you get these? And is there any special way of feeding them? Ie when i think of husks, i think of barley husks wich are a bit coarse, so does it need to be soaked?

Tisse, sorry to hear about your pony.
Re: the worst night of my life [message #1096178 is a reply to message #1096155 ] Mon, 13 April 2009 22:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  Pat-attack  
Its my party and I'll hoo haa if I want to
Must admit, if someone had have responded that way when I posted about Smokie and little Zac, I would have burst into tears.

The forum was quite comforting to me at that time, with lots of cyber space hugs coming my way. Was great that others understood and offered advise.

Martina, zam zam is a very compassionate person. She is not tactless. She obviously understands how relieved tisse is, as I do.

Our ponies and horses are our family Smile

A woman's place is on a horse......somewhere near Dunolly,
competing in a ruddy nav ride, and turning 2 pages at once!!!
Is Hawaii boring in July?? Sodomited is my new favourite word!!
Re: the worst night of my life [message #1096184 is a reply to message #1096167 ] Mon, 13 April 2009 22:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  zam zam  
tisse wrote on Mon, 13 April 2009 22:00

i sat with, walked and cried with my little fella the whole time thinking is it too late has his bowel twisted, am i just making him suffer. because i knew at the start it was unual for him to be sitting down nibbling his hay i new straight away something was wrong.

its the rolling and thrashing around they do with colic that kills, it twists their bowels, when this happens they cant pass anything. we caught it before he had a chance to roll around all night, if i hadnt of took notice earlier and just thought he was resting then i more than likely would of went out today and found a dead pony.

it was me and him all alone, in the freezing cold, when he got to the point where he would fall over from pain and exhustion then want to roll i would sit on him and stroke his face but when his eyes rolled around and his mouths was hanging open and his breathing was horrible i really thought i was going to loose him. the point is, a situation happened ( as we all know does when you own horses) i took responsibility and did what i had to do. i have never felt so alone in all my life but i did it for him because the day i brought him home as a yearling his care and well being were placed in my hands.

all i wanted to do was share my story with all you guys because i know most of you are as dedicated to your horses as i am, and if anyone would understand what i went through last night i thought vichorse members would.

You poor girl you must be exhausted.

index.php?t=getfile&id=193365&private=0

Make sure you take care of yourself as well.
You've been through a tough time.

zam zam xx

• Attachment: big hug.gif
    (Size: 31.66KB, Downloaded 921 time(s))

Re: the worst night of my life [message #1096213 is a reply to message #1096167 ] Mon, 13 April 2009 22:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  crossflow  
Step away from the computer,

You did what you did for your horse because you obviously love him to bits and good on you for being that caring.

Bet you'll sleep a hell of a lot better tonight eh Smile

Glad to hear he's ok Very Happy

Romeo: Call me but love and I shall be new-baptiz'd. Henceforth I shall never be Romeo
Juliet: Call you butt-love??

The Complete Works of William Shakespear (abridged)
Re: the worst night of my life [message #1096235 is a reply to message #1095949 ] Mon, 13 April 2009 22:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  tisse  
Level 1
thank you everyone

JJ is being watched closely by my friends, he is tethered right out the front of their house, as they have a new baby in the home Karina is up during the night and has promised to check on him for me.

i know all about prevention and feeding husks etc, but things just happen and with horses its inevitable. (spelling..lol.)

lately it has been very hard to find the physillium husks in our area, because the race horses are prone to colic our friends normally have it by the truck load but its just been unavailable. i have john o'leary's sand colic recipe which we had planned on making up and doing all the horses and ponies but as some of you know there is one ingredience that is not easy to find.

the vet has said to let him settle for a few days before we go putting anything else down his throat. because he was tubed twice last night, and his tummy was so blocked she said to just let him relax and recover for a few days. he hasnt wanted to roll since 6am today which is a big change from last night. thats the real killer when it comes to colic letting them roll around.

Re: the worst night of my life [message #1096256 is a reply to message #1095949 ] Mon, 13 April 2009 22:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Level 2
Quote:

all i wanted to do was share my story with all you guys because i know most of you are as dedicated to your horses as i am, and if anyone would understand what i went through last night i thought vichorse members would

Thats what the forums all about, tisse Very Happy Sharing and caring Very Happy
Its fantastic that you have a strong bond with your animals and pick up on things early .... Dont ever lose that Very Happy
And keeping a horse or pony going through a bout of colic is very stressful.
Well done for getting your little guy through it and being there for him Very Happy Very Happy
For most us, our critters are part of our family too and we understand what you have been thru !

Re: the worst night of my life [message #1096289 is a reply to message #1095949 ] Mon, 13 April 2009 22:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Level 2
Quote:

i know all about prevention and feeding husks etc, but things just happen and with horses its inevitable. (spelling..lol.)

Dont worry tisse, I think most of us know what horses are like.
Your pony getting colic doesnt mean that you are a neglectful owner or that you dont know what you are doing!
As we are all well aware ... some horses can be locked in a padded round yard and still find a way to hurt themselves!

The important thing is that you used your expertise in picking up that something was wrong early and your pony is alive because of it Very Happy Very Happy
Welll done Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Re: the worst night of my life [message #1096323 is a reply to message #1096213 ] Mon, 13 April 2009 22:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  Bellasmum  
crossflow wrote on Mon, 13 April 2009 22:12

You did what you did for your horse because you obviously love him to bits and good on you for being that caring.

Bet you'll sleep a hell of a lot better tonight eh Smile

Glad to hear he's ok Very Happy

what he said Smile Glad the little one is ok Smile After one of ours was down with colic I spent the next few weeks with my heart in my mouth every time I went to see her - poor thing she'd be laying down having a nice sleep in the sun and I'd be running screaming and crying to her - she would open her eyes and look at me as if to say "WOT" - YOU WOKE ME UP Smile

Certificate MAC3475

Re: the worst night of my life [message #1096326 is a reply to message #1095949 ] Mon, 13 April 2009 23:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  Bellasmum  

index.php?t=getfile&id=193408&private=0

Both gorgeous little ones Smile

Certificate MAC3475

Re: the worst night of my life [message #1096365 is a reply to message #1096069 ] Mon, 13 April 2009 23:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  Sarj  
Stark, Raving Bonkers

Some people just have no idea ,

Like the people accusing others of causing sand colic because the ONLY way a horse can get it is from having NOTHING but dirt to eat???
Horses can get it from eating hay from the ground, from grazing, from chewing dirt DESPITE adequate feed... many ways.
Would be nice to do some research before terrorising someone that has just been through an all night ordeal
Re: the worst night of my life [message #1096395 is a reply to message #1095949 ] Tue, 14 April 2009 01:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  RhemyElla  is currently offline RhemyElla  
oh my gosh, tisse - what a frightening thing for you to go through!! So glad to hear your dear little one is ok. He looks like a real cutie Smile

(((big hugs for you))) Hope you sleep well tonight Smile
Re: the worst night of my life [message #1096419 is a reply to message #1096395 ] Tue, 14 April 2009 06:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  Cold Creek  
Unstoppable, ungaggable, unzippable
I'm so glad your little pony got better. Its the worst feeling in the world when horses are really sick, makes you wish they could talk.
I hope you got some sleep last night.
Re: the worst night of my life [message #1096439 is a reply to message #1096419 ] Tue, 14 April 2009 07:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  melandol  is currently offline melandol  
Stark, Raving Bonkers
Glad that your sweet little pony is okay! Colic is a horrible thing Sad

Mel and Ol
Re: the worst night of my life [message #1096589 is a reply to message #1095949 ] Tue, 14 April 2009 09:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  Bellazeus  
Honest question.. for those of you with minis and shetlands ( i know nothing about little ones Smile ) that are prone to founder and being obese.. how do you keep the hay up without increasing the risk of the others?
Re: the worst night of my life [message #1096660 is a reply to message #1096589 ] Tue, 14 April 2009 09:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  tisse  
Level 1
Bellazeus wrote on Tue, 14 April 2009 09:26

Honest question.. for those of you with minis and shetlands ( i know nothing about little ones Smile ) that are prone to founder and being obese.. how do you keep the hay up without increasing the risk of the others?

i am glad some one brought this up, only a few weeks ago all the ponies had access to round bales, but as with ponies they gorged themselves silly and i had to go back to hand feeding. one of our old girls is prone to stress founder and i have only just got her better after an episode three weeks ago.

my initial thought a few days ago was he was getting a hay belly from being fed to much hay, the amount my ponies get keeps them eating on and off for most of the day with out the risk of founder etc. but they still sift the dirt the get every last scrap of hay. feeding in bins etc sounds good but they still manage to spill some and eat it off the ground.

i have just printed out my John O'leary sand colic recipe and plan on giving it to all the ponies today. i am not going to go through what i had to the other night ever again. yes, i learnt the hard way, but i am sure in the many years to come i am going to have to go through more situations with the ponies. its just part and parcel of ownin any animal.

thank you to every one for there well wishes, JJ is doing great, i have spoke to my friends just now and will be heading out there shortly to give him a bit kiss and cuddle.

[Updated on: Tue, 14 April 2009 09:58]

Re: the worst night of my life [message #1096674 is a reply to message #1096660 ] Tue, 14 April 2009 10:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  sheryl  is currently offline sheryl  
Level 4
Any sort of colic is serious, so many sad stories of the ones who couldnt recover.

Glad to hear that JJ is now OK Smile

[Updated on: Tue, 14 April 2009 10:09]

Sheryl
http://www.highlandparkshowhorses.com
Re: the worst night of my life [message #1096706 is a reply to message #1096674 ] Tue, 14 April 2009 10:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  tisse  
Level 1
for any one interested in sand colic, its causes and the best cures i recommend John O'leary website horseproblems.com.

he is a no non-sense horseperson who uses common sense as his basis for owning horses, which to me, is one of the first things needed when owning one. if you dont have common sense i think are doomed from the start.

here is a link to his info on sand colic

http://www.horseproblems.com.au/sand_colic_by.htm
Re: the worst night of my life [message #1096866 is a reply to message #1096168 ] Tue, 14 April 2009 11:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
  Neisje  is currently offline Neisje  
I<3Sammy wrote on Mon, 13 April 2009 22:01

Psyllium husks - where do you get these? And is there any special way of feeding them? Ie when i think of husks, i think of barley husks wich are a bit coarse, so does it need to be soaked?

Health food stores and supermarkets sell it, it looks like bran. You can also buy it in bulk from the suppliers (there is one in Dandenong) if you use a lot. I brought a 40kilo bag from them a few years ago, still using it! When its wet it turns to jelly, but many horses will sift it out of the feed if its dry. I found what works best is add a small amount of water just before you give it to them, enough to make the psylium 'stick' to to the rest of the feed but not so the feed is 'wet' (make sense?)

Live your life in such a way that when your feet hit the floor in the morning, Satan shudders & says...
'Oh ****...she's awake!!'
Re: the worst night of my life [message #1096887 is a reply to message #1095971 ] Tue, 14 April 2009 11:26 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
  Chaseeau  is currently offline Chaseeau  
Step away from the computer,

Cheers MARTINA

Don't be so mean Martina.

I hope that the little pony recovers soon. Colic is very scary.

Horses are brave and loyal and more,
but none so much as the horses of war.
www.internationalcavalry.org
Previous Topic:FEI TV
Next Topic:pony club
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Oct 22 18:59:01 EST 2014

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02163 seconds

.:: Home ::.