[Home]       [Forum]       [Event Calendar]       [Forum Birthdays]

Today's Messages (ON)  | Unanswered Messages (OFF)

Forum: Advertising - Horses
 Topic: All the hard work is done 6yo 16hh Gelding ready for his next competitive rider.
Re: All the hard work is done 6yo 16hh Gelding ready for his next competitive rider. [message #3271874 is a reply to message #3270979 ] Sat, 30 May 2015 07:11
  hoofbeats89  is currently offline hoofbeats89  
Level 2
Bump for a price reduction
 Topic: Miniature Horse Geldings/Colts
Re: Miniature Horse Geldings/Colts [message #3271885 is a reply to message #2960304 ] Sat, 30 May 2015 10:24
  KOOKA HEIGHTS  is currently offline KOOKA HEIGHTS  
Level 1
bump
 Topic: gutsy little kids pony price reduced $1000!!!!!!
Re: gutsy little kids pony price reduced $1000!!!!!! [message #3271892 is a reply to message #3263077 ] Sat, 30 May 2015 12:08
  CapSilver  is currently offline CapSilver  
Troppo. Loco. Round the twist.
I can't believe this guy is still for sale!
Forum: General - On Topic
 Topic: Hygain showtorque
Re: Hygain showtorque [message #3271873 is a reply to message #3271869 ] Sat, 30 May 2015 00:33
  obsessed  
This computer will self destruct in 10 posts
Show Torque is a non cereal grain.

Very good for horses who are susceptable to ulcers.

I have never had aproblem feeding this feed.

Ratbag.
Re: Hygain showtorque [message #3271875 is a reply to message #3271760 ] Sat, 30 May 2015 07:42
  carob_calamari  is currently offline carob_calamari  
Level 1 - Advanced
I've fed showtorque to my gelding for years, he did fine on it for a horse that is prone to tying up. I started my mare on it and it made her really hot. I moved to James and Sons HighE and my mare was fine on it and my gelding went nuts on it and started tying up. I'm now trying "Munga" on my mare and so far so good Smile
 Topic: How to find a comfortable saddle?
Re: How to find a comfortable saddle? [message #3271878 is a reply to message #3271850 ] Sat, 30 May 2015 08:38
  pjayok  is currently offline pjayok  
Level 1
Quality of the leather
Quality of the tree
Flocking made of wool and not scrapings off the saddlers floor
Stirrup position
Twist
Seat padding
Height and cut-back position of pommel

The list goes on and of course it all depends on the width of your horse too.

A good saddle will last you forever if you take care of it. I'd rather borrow the money to buy a top quality saddle than buy 3-4 crap ones that fall apart and are worth nothing second hand and are miserable for you and your horse.

Buy one that adjusts or can be adjusted too, as long as they're wide enough to start with.

Pj
 Topic: Rugging the clipped horse
Re: Rugging the clipped horse [message #3271879 is a reply to message #3271838 ] Sat, 30 May 2015 08:44
  Broodmare1  is currently offline Broodmare1  
Step away from the computer,
I always add one extra rug, a woollen.

So my mare at the moment(has all her body clipped bar a saddle patch, half face and legs left on) is in a cotton rug, wool rug and a heavy canvas as well as a polarfleece neck rug. When she doesn't have the canvas its a 200g synthetic. I may add an unlined canvas/synthetic neck rug at night.

Next week we are expecting lows of -2. So its a cold area.

I hate hate hate over-rugging. Instead of layering 6 rugs on the horse, rug choice sometimes needs to be addressed, like adding a warmer top rug to minimise what under rugs you need.

I clip anytime from mid April to late June. The later I clip the less likely I will have to reclip. When I clip early I usually clip start of July again.
Re: Rugging the clipped horse [message #3271881 is a reply to message #3271879 ] Sat, 30 May 2015 08:49
  m_rae  is currently offline m_rae  
Level 2
Broodmare1 wrote on Sat, 30 May 2015 08:44

I always add one extra rug, a woollen.

So my mare at the moment(has all her body clipped bar a saddle patch, half face and legs left on) is in a cotton rug, wool rug and a heavy canvas as well as a polarfleece neck rug. When she doesn't have the canvas its a 200g synthetic. I may add an unlined canvas/synthetic neck rug at night.

Next week we are expecting lows of -2. So its a cold area.

I hate hate hate over-rugging. Instead of layering 6 rugs on the horse, rug choice sometimes needs to be addressed, like adding a warmer top rug to minimise what under rugs you need.

I clip anytime from mid April to late June. The later I clip the less likely I will have to reclip. When I clip early I usually clip start of July again.

Agree 100% regarding the over rugging!

http://s28.postimg.org/rv791a2zt/image.jpg
 Topic: Ground work exercises for yearlings
Re: Ground work exercises for yearlings [message #3271877 is a reply to message #3271825 ] Sat, 30 May 2015 08:07
  Vicey  is currently offline Vicey  
Completely Insane
I was taking my yearling out to the pony club grounds, to the beach, doing proper groundwork exercises like flexing and yielding and learning proper manners from about 16 months. Only on weekends. The rest of the time i just dropped off his dinner. He was also training for in hand showing and shown at about 20 months.
Re: Ground work exercises for yearlings [message #3271880 is a reply to message #3271825 ] Sat, 30 May 2015 08:48
  Stockhorse  
Since you feel it's a boredom problem and you have the room why don't you get him another companion? That way he has the stimulation all the time rather than just when you can get the time to do groundwork with him. I will qualify this by saying I'm a firm believer in letting them be babies and not doing too much more than training to lead, tie up, load and have feet done until they are broken in, my breaker prefers this and they have so many years ahead of being in work. Let kids be kids. Smile

Edited to say you could either advertise for someone with a young one wanting to turn it out for a while, buy something from the sales or possibly foster something for a while.

[Updated on: Sat, 30 May 2015 08:54]

Re: Ground work exercises for yearlings [message #3271883 is a reply to message #3271856 ] Sat, 30 May 2015 10:04
  cheveauxpark  
The forum drove me to drink. Remind me to thank it.
JazzyGirl92 wrote on Fri, 29 May 2015 20:33

Yes. He ties, floats, currently wearing a rug, brush, handle/trim all four feet etc.

I only have these 2 and unfortunately i have no where really to just 'turn him out' everyone that could possibly have him would still be feeding/handling daily. He is as close to 'turned out' as i can. Living on almost 10 acres only seeing me to rug/unrug and feed..

I really feel he would thrive with something more to do when im with him.
Have had the thought of possibly bringing a friends horse in to be his play mate but again its difficult as most my mate are out of town and want their horses close to be able to ride etc..

Shame he couldnt be with others his age where he could play and run about..learn more social skills and have fun.
Maybe offer a home for a short time for another gelding his age. Smile

Topic: Clipper parts replacement
Re: Clipper parts replacement [message #3271887 is a reply to message #3271742 ] Sat, 30 May 2015 10:47
  willowbeast  is currently offline willowbeast  
Level 1 - Advanced

They're cheapies (which is likely why they broke), not sure of exact brand as they're not with me right now but thank you for the advice! I wasn't aware of clipper world and we live relatively close to Cranbourne, I'll look into it ASAP!
 Topic: Duett dressage saddles
Duett dressage saddles [message #3271890] Sat, 30 May 2015 11:21
  Kimmyg  is currently offline Kimmyg  
Level 1
What do you know about this saddle ? And cost second hand for almost new condition? Thanks I don't have munch experience with this brand Smile
 Topic: owner trimmers?
Re: owner trimmers? [message #3271891 is a reply to message #3271548 ] Sat, 30 May 2015 11:40
  storm horse  is currently offline storm horse  
Completely Insane
i don't understand why people think that hoof trimming is "rocket science". unless you have a horse with a pathological issue, trimming 101 is all you really need to learn. Have a trusted mentor to oversee your work for the first 12 months, and you should be set.

When i think back to some of the woeful trims i've paid for from 'professionals' over the years, i'm not at all worried about trimming myself.

If your just starting out, and not using nippers, but just a file, it's highly unlikely you'll file too much away, 'cos you just won't have the stamina or the tool handling skills. if you're like the majority of new trimmers, you'll be lucky to get through 2 feet before you run out of puff. Little and often is the way to go.

Topic: Bright Coloured Saddle Blankets
Re: Bright Coloured Saddle Blankets [message #3271888 is a reply to message #3271776 ] Sat, 30 May 2015 11:02
  RubyH  
Stark, Raving Bonkers
madsyoudork wrote on Fri, 29 May 2015 08:04

The Ankys are pretty fantastic. They wear so well and they stay exactly where you put them.

I decided I HAD to own the lime ... it actually (imho) looks fantastic and couldn't be brighter! Excuse crappy photo ...
index.php?t=getfile&id=614680&private=0

I love the lime! I have the lemon one which is similar. And red on a chestnut is Thumbs Up as well Smile

Anky is great stuff, can buy online OS or from HL. I also like eskadron - quality and an exciting range of colours. Eurostar is fab too!

index.php?t=getfile&id=554084&private=0
Re: Bright Coloured Saddle Blankets [message #3271895 is a reply to message #3271499 ] Sat, 30 May 2015 12:29
  Vinter  
Completely Insane
BRIGHT matching everythings! Great service also.
http://www.horsehabit.com.au/
Re: Bright Coloured Saddle Blankets [message #3271897 is a reply to message #3271895 ] Sat, 30 May 2015 12:40
  Broodmare1  is currently offline Broodmare1  
Step away from the computer,
This is my latest one! Peacock Blue:

index.php?t=getfile&id=614710&private=0

I also have the Magenta which is quite nice and easy enough to match with boots Smile

Re: Bright Coloured Saddle Blankets [message #3271899 is a reply to message #3271499 ] Sat, 30 May 2015 13:32
  Towsey  is currently offline Towsey  
Level 1 - Advanced
These are totally my favourite threads.. love seeing all the pretty colours.. I reckon Martina's sales go up when these threads come up too
Forum: General - Off Topic
 Topic: I know we're on VIChorse, but is anyone here from Tassie?
Re: I know we're on VIChorse, but is anyone here from Tassie? [message #3271872 is a reply to message #3271302 ] Sat, 30 May 2015 00:27
  leeahh  is currently offline leeahh  
Stark, Raving Bonkers
Hi Em! Sounds like you'll be in for a change! Lots to do and see here once you're in the know. Will send you a message. Smile

VALARKEN, VALDEMAR & VALERIUS.
 Topic: Cat Lovers in Bendigo region
Re: Cat Lovers in Bendigo region [message #3271886 is a reply to message #3271754 ] Sat, 30 May 2015 10:39
  Wyndara  
djrayment wrote on Thu, 28 May 2015 21:56

I wish you guys were coming!! Laughing
So far I've got ONE maybe (another staff member that I know) and haven't had a single reply to all of the recruiting we are doing Sad

Tiff ran the Bundoora one last week, so a couple of us from the lab went and recruited in person on campus and a few people we spoke to mentioned that they were worried about participating because so many people are anti-cat, and they've basically learned to shut up instead of having to defend their choice in pet, while people make horrid remarks about cats (I have family who do this, so I totally understand their point!). TBH it never even crossed my mind because I do some much dog work and people are fabulous about participating (and I love meeting and learning about their dogs), so I just thought it would be the same (coz cat people love their cats just as much), but not so!!

You would think it should be easy enough to get some work colleagues , who don't work in a related area, to stay after work for some refreshments and a chat about cats?

I few years ago I sent out a survey on confining cats to cat owners and I was surprised at how many people returned the survey. People were more than happy to answer questions about there cats, even though the thought behind it was to get more people to confine their cats, preferably 24/7.
 Topic: How Sad :(
How Sad :( [message #3271876] Sat, 30 May 2015 08:00
  Buttons  
Level 3
I've been inthe closet a bit with Vic Horse forum but there have been some fantastic contributors over the years.
Over the last couple of years I've noticed some of the more experienced contributors no longer visit or if they do, it's only on a rare occasion.
It's sad to think the knowledge base has been pushed away from a forum where many amateur riders and owners had an opportunity to learn. I know most people will suggest that social media is now the preferred share point but not everyone shares facebook membership,
I just think it's really sad.

Re: How Sad :( [message #3271882 is a reply to message #3271876 ] Sat, 30 May 2015 09:21
  Isaboe  
Its my party and I'll hoo haa if I want to
Buttons wrote on Sat, 30 May 2015 08:00

I've been inthe closet a bit with Vic Horse forum but there have been some fantastic contributors over the years.
Over the last couple of years I've noticed some of the more experienced contributors no longer visit or if they do, it's only on a rare occasion.
It's sad to think the knowledge base has been pushed away from a forum where many amateur riders and owners had an opportunity to learn. I know most people will suggest that social media is now the preferred share point but not everyone shares facebook membership,

It is sad Buttons. I have watched this forum go down hill rapidly. It used to be an informative site with the experienced not only sharing their knowledge but happy to learn off others too, having a laugh and a joke over the silliest things and being able to share our thoughts and feelings with the wise. Now it is full of self important ar$eholes who don't believe they have anything to learn and their way is the only way, who have no sense of humour whatsoever and hell would freeze over before they could laugh at themselves. If someone makes a joke at their expense, the cries of "bullying" are heard far and wide...it really makes me wonder how these over sensitive princesses cope in the real world. Sad
Re: How Sad :( [message #3271884 is a reply to message #3271882 ] Sat, 30 May 2015 10:06
  cheveauxpark  
Isaboe wrote on Sat, 30 May 2015 09:21

It is sad Buttons. I have watched this forum go down hill rapidly. It used to be an informative site with the experienced not only sharing their knowledge but happy to learn off others too, having a laugh and a joke over the silliest things and being able to share our thoughts and feelings with the wise. Now it is full of self important ar$eholes who don't believe they have anything to learn and their way is the only way, who have no sense of humour whatsoever and hell would freeze over before they could laugh at themselves. If someone makes a joke at their expense, the cries of "bullying" are heard far and wide...it really makes me wonder how these over sensitive princesses cope in the real world. Sad

Wheres the "like" button when ya need one Smile

[Updated on: Sat, 30 May 2015 10:08]

Re: How Sad :( [message #3271893 is a reply to message #3271884 ] Sat, 30 May 2015 12:20
  zam zam  
cheveauxpark wrote on Sat, 30 May 2015 10:06

Isaboe wrote on Sat, 30 May 2015 09:21

Wheres the "like" button when ya need one Smile

Yep!

If it sparkles or its fluffy its all good.
Re: How Sad :( [message #3271896 is a reply to message #3271876 ] Sat, 30 May 2015 12:34
  carindale  is currently offline carindale  
Level 1 - Advanced
It used to be fun coming on here and reading all the posts, people got to have a laugh and learn something as well. I used to love checking in on some of the Hoo Haa which at the time was light hearted and fun. Now everyone jumps down the other person's throat all the time and small threads turn into major slanging matches. I've been here for a long time and it has been sad seeing some of the great contributors leave and I must admit I don't enjoy coming in to read the threads nowadays. I occasionally check in with the hope normal people may have in fact taken back over control of Vichorse and all the nuffy's have left. But it is not to be Shocked

http://carindalehomeandfarmservices.weebly.com/
Re: How Sad :( [message #3271898 is a reply to message #3271876 ] Sat, 30 May 2015 13:28
  bunny b  
Unstoppable, ungaggable, unzippable
I'm reaching a point where I often think about posting then think nah, not worth it. There are one or two people who just can't seem to handle someone having a different opinion and make the argument way too personal. Puts me off it does.
Re: How Sad :( [message #3271900 is a reply to message #3271898 ] Sat, 30 May 2015 13:34
  Towsey  is currently offline Towsey  
Level 1 - Advanced
bunny b wrote on Sat, 30 May 2015 13:28

I'm reaching a point where I often think about posting then think nah, not worth it. There are one or two people who just can't seem to handle someone having a different opinion and make the argument way too personal. Puts me off it does.

Yeah I agree... it's a real shame. I do still love this forum though
Re: How Sad :( [message #3271901 is a reply to message #3271876 ] Sat, 30 May 2015 13:38
  Kelmel  
Gone to fb. Though there is a breed forum i was quite enjoying that caused me to have a friend cull as well. Armchair experts going after my best friend without the whole story. No thanks. Horse people suck ill stick to keeping mine as big pets and talking basketball.

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l29/Kelmel_4884/coverphoto.jpg
Forum: Advertising - Noncommercial
 Topic: Leather pony pad
Leather pony pad [message #3271889] Sat, 30 May 2015 11:15
  Kimmyg  is currently offline Kimmyg  
Level 1
Lovely little leather pony pad for sale in great condition
no longer needed $150
Pick up avail pakenham or can post at buyers expense

index.php?t=getfile&id=614699&private=0
index.php?t=getfile&id=614703&private=0
index.php?t=getfile&id=614704&private=0
index.php?t=getfile&id=614705&private=0

• Attachment: image.jpg
    (Size: 30.78KB, Downloaded 1 time(s))

(Size: 33.64KB, Downloaded 7 time(s))

(Size: 30.28KB, Downloaded 7 time(s))

(Size: 30.78KB, Downloaded 6 time(s))

Topic: Safety Vest
Safety Vest [message #3271894] Sat, 30 May 2015 12:21
  blackdiesel  is currently offline blackdiesel  
Level 4
Dublin safety vest in very good condition. Adult or teenager size medium. Is the current safety standards model

index.php?t=getfile&id=614709&private=0

Topic: For Sale - Black Wintec 500 Dressage 17 inch Saddle For Sale
For Sale - Black Wintec 500 Dressage 17 inch Saddle For Sale [message #3271903] Sat, 30 May 2015 13:59
  hello.ted  is currently offline hello.ted  
Level 1 - Advanced
I have for sale a black 17 inch Wintec 500 Dressage Saddle.

Saddle is flocked, has long girth points, has easy change gullet (currently red gullet in) and has removeable knee rolls. There is a slight superficial scratch on the seat of the saddle.

Great saddle, bought as an in between saddle while I was waiting for my dressage saddle to come back and have no need for it any more, hence sale Smile

Saddle is for sale at $400.

Please text/call 0422 011 544 if you are interested in photos (as cannot downsize photos enough to attach here) or would like to have a look at the saddle Smile

Located in Pakenham.
Forum: Advertising - Commercial
 Topic: Horse and Pony Clipping!!!
Re: Horse and Pony Clipping!!! [message #3271902 is a reply to message #354988 ] Sat, 30 May 2015 13:44
  Attitude05  is currently offline Attitude05  
Level 1
Another tick of approval for Hayley from my young guy. Not only do you make it look easy, the ponies really love you!!

index.php?t=getfile&id=614711&private=0

• Attachment: Clip2015.jpg
    (Size: 61.30KB, Downloaded 3 time(s))

Topic: Dressage Training Available
Re: Dressage Training Available [message #3271904 is a reply to message #3260656 ] Sat, 30 May 2015 14:11
  sian007 is currently online sian007  
Level 2
bump!
Have a couple afternoons or mornings free for training.
Onsite position available from now until mid July.

http://i62.tinypic.com/2pphd07.jpg
Hotse d.V

Current Time: Sat May 30 14:20:17 EST 2015

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.04807 seconds

.:: Home ::.