[Home]       [Forum]       [Event Calendar]       [Forum Birthdays]

Today's Messages (OFF)  | Unanswered Messages (ON)

Forum: General - On Topic
 Topic: FEEDING A YOUNG HORSE
FEEDING A YOUNG HORSE [message #3304528] Fri, 27 May 2016 17:37
  hanr  is currently offline hanr  
Level 1

Hi everyone i recently bought a 17month old stock horse X QH filly.
She was being fed breed and grow crushed barley and lucern and chaff.
But she didn't tell me exactly how much she was feeding her. (only said scoop which could mean anything really)
so my question is how much should i be feeding her exactly?
She also has access to a round bale of good quality oaten hay 24/7 and a mineral block.
Is that food suitable? Does she need anything else?
I haven't owned a youngster for quite a while so i want to make sure I'm doing it right.
Thanks for your time Smile
 Topic: Warming up before a ride
Warming up before a ride [message #3304444] Thu, 26 May 2016 10:55
MainandCo  is currently offline MainandCo  
Level 5

http://www.mainandco.com/classroom/how-to-warm-up

How do you guys warm up?

Main and Co Touch
Remedial Massage,EMMETT and bodywork
www.mainandco.com
https://www.facebook.com/mainandcotouch/
 Topic: Pegasus Agistment
Pegasus Agistment [message #3304428] Wed, 25 May 2016 22:47
  LadyDana  is currently offline LadyDana  
Level 1 - Advanced
Has anyone agisted there and have any feedback? Please PM me

www.meljean.com.au
 Topic: Corner Hay Feeder - Wanted
Corner Hay Feeder - Wanted [message #3304426] Wed, 25 May 2016 22:02
  Spanish  
Level 1
I'm searching for a supplier of a poly corner hay feeder, for stables, such as ones in the pictures.
So far I can only find them in the UK but there must be someone in Vic who has them.
If anyone knows can they please advise, thanks.

[Updated on: Wed, 25 May 2016 22:07]

Topic: Lals Haven Warmbloods
Lals Haven Warmbloods [message #3303675] Mon, 09 May 2016 18:56
  emuys  is currently offline emuys  
Level 2
Read the latest blog from Team Joyce

Will have enough scope ?

We had asked ourselves many questions before today - we hoped to have some answers after he jumped the course……………………………..will he have enough scope?

http://lalshaven.com.au/

index.php?t=getfile&id=621220&private=0

• Attachment: smallest.jpg
    (Size: 22.58KB, Downloaded 206 time(s))

[Updated on: Mon, 09 May 2016 19:49]

Topic: Topline.
Topline. [message #3303398] Wed, 04 May 2016 20:00
  obsessed  
This computer will self destruct in 10 posts
index.php?t=getfile&id=621152&private=0

A very loose neck showing the lovely muscle topline definition.

• Attachment: image.jpg
    (Size: 4.57KB, Downloaded 447 time(s))

Ratbag.
 Topic: Stirling Liberty
Stirling Liberty [message #3303380] Wed, 04 May 2016 14:40
ambermatt  is currently offline ambermatt  
Level 5
For an assignment I need photos of my horses sire (Snowy River Offsider) So I need photos of Stirling Liberty the Holsteiner, would be super appreciative Smile
 Topic: Did anyone know horse rug laundromat cranbourne
Did anyone know horse rug laundromat cranbourne [message #3303305] Tue, 03 May 2016 19:16
  bretonmastiffs  is currently offline bretonmastiffs  
Level 2
I know I was always looking for a place to wash horse rugs
But now I just found out that there is a Do it yourself animal laundry
At 9 Cranbourne place Cranbourne
It's open from 6.30am -7.30pm
And charges $28 a load but one load fits in 10 to12 horse rugs.
It's a 50 min cycle and does a really good wash but works even better if you put
Pineoclean or vinegar and fill the second wash powder slot not the first.
And it uses $1 coins
Enjoy peeps Smile
 Topic: Agistment near South Morang WANTED
Agistment near South Morang WANTED [message #3303228] Mon, 02 May 2016 13:29
  LaurenMichelle  is currently offline LaurenMichelle  
Level 1
I have a friend moving back to Vic (from Qld) in a couple of weeks and she looking for full care agistment for 3 horses within 30 minute drive of South Morang.

Please pm me if you have spots available and I'll pass on the info!

index.php?t=getfile&id=587671&private=&private=1index.php?t=getfile&id=587669&private=&private=1
BHM Black Coco ~ Spanish Warmblood ~ 30 October 2010
 Topic: MSPE/MHRS
MSPE/MHRS [message #3302937] Tue, 26 April 2016 12:10
ambermatt  is currently offline ambermatt  
Level 5
Does anyone know what ever happened to Melbourne School of Pony Equitation/ Melbourne Horse Riding School?
Learnt to ride there as a kid and would love to know whats happening at the school now Smile
 Topic: Hawkesbury Horse Floats
Hawkesbury Horse Floats [message #3302086] Tue, 12 April 2016 10:33
  zoe21212  
Level 2
Looking into buying a new float, and the lady has been super helpful... But just doing my due diligence and can't find them anywhere on a Google search.

Just wondering if anyone has bought a float from them? They're located in NSW.

Feel free to PM

Cheers Very Happy

[Updated on: Tue, 12 April 2016 10:39]

Topic: Wentworth Bordeaux saddles
Wentworth Bordeaux saddles [message #3301923] Sun, 10 April 2016 12:46
  Flash Dancer  is currently offline Flash Dancer  
Can someone tell me about these saddles?
I've come across one for sale on Facebook and I'm in need of a new jump saddle.

Can these saddles be altered by a saddle fitter?

Riding: The art of keeping a horse between you and the ground.
 Topic: strangles cases in melton
strangles cases in melton [message #3301882] Sat, 09 April 2016 09:38
  mlpc2  
can anyone shed light on this ? have heard yes but wondering anyne else heard this ?
 Topic: mute point
mute point [message #3301604] Tue, 05 April 2016 13:22
  bretonmastiffs  is currently offline bretonmastiffs  
Level 2
No Message Body

[Updated on: Sat, 16 April 2016 20:43]

Topic: Looking for a Horse - Anyone know him?
Looking for a Horse - Anyone know him? [message #3301520] Mon, 04 April 2016 17:37
amsey  is currently offline amsey  
Level 5
Hey everyone,
Firstly I'd like to thank anyone who took the time to read this.
So I'm looking for a horse, an ex-racehorse, who happens to be my horses full brother. I would absolutely love to see photos of him or even possibly meet him. It would mean so much to me.

The horse I'm looking for is/was named 'Secret Gem'.
He is by 'Secret Savings' from a mare called 'Gem of a Lunch'.
He was foaled in 2001 so should be 14/15 years old. He's also bay/brown in colour.
So he's branded what looks to be a circle with a W inside it on his near side shoulder with a 9 over 1 on his off side shoulder.
unfortunately this is the only information I have but I'm hoping it's enough. My horse (his brother) who was named 'Lunch Money' as a racehorse (now known as 'Larry') is very special to me and when I found that he had a full brother I just had to try and find him.

Please share this around if possible so more people can know that I'm looking and so that I know he is in safe hands and is well. It would mean the world to me

I have attached a photo of my beautiful boy Larry (his brother) in the hope that they may look similar. I would love for them to meet each other one day.
Thankyou so much
Amy 😘

• Attachment: image.jpg
    (Size: 94.42KB, Downloaded 130 time(s))

[Updated on: Mon, 04 April 2016 17:43]

A.Day
 Topic: Amigo Foal Rug
Amigo Foal Rug [message #3301216] Tue, 29 March 2016 23:37
  FreezetheMoment  
Level 3
Am looking at the Horseware Amigo foal rug for the hard to fit filly. I have Horseware rugs for my other grown beasts & really like the fit of them. Has anyone used these rugs?
 Topic: Wanting to ride Kinglake National Park
Wanting to ride Kinglake National Park [message #3301078] Sat, 26 March 2016 21:14
  Canine_Caper  is currently offline Canine_Caper  
Completely Insane
Just hoping there might be someone here who could tell me where I can access kinglake national park closest to Yarra Glen....a friend and I are looking to go for a ride tomorrow Smile

Also if anyone know any good starting points for the Dandenong ranges? Have often seen floats parked in Mt Ev down where the football oval is off York Rd but from what I can find there are no "allowable" horse tracks from there.

Thanks Guys!!
 Topic: Hay Burner But Losing Condition?
icon5.gif  Hay Burner But Losing Condition? [message #3300794] Sun, 20 March 2016 10:03
  Thelwell  is currently offline Thelwell  
Completely Insane
John Kohnke‎
to
Talking Horse Health and Nutrition
March 18 at 10:26am

I have often been asked how to put extra weight on a horse. A number of horse owners attending my recent consultation Q&A sessions at stores in Victoria were particularly concerned by the condition of their horses in comparison to the feed they are been given. Most horse owners found that if they fed extra hay, especially as a self-fed round bale in a paddock, horses could actually start to lose weight, even when they had access to hay 24/7 and were resting or out of work.

How is this possible? - more feed, more energy one would assume.

Obviously, in very cold weather, energy is sapped from the body, requiring a greater intake of energy from hay to maintain body weight, as well as keep them warm from increased hindgut fibre fermentation. However, there comes a time when horses consume large volumes of low energy hay that they can start to lose weight.

High intakes of dry hay can overload the digestion capacity of the small and large intestine with excessive fibrous, poorly digested bulk. This limits the ability of the digestive system to extract all the nutrients from the feed bulk, creating a lower energy intake, even when the horse’s hunger is satisfied. It is a particular problem when poor quality, highly fibrous hay with low inherent digestibility is fed (ie very stalky texture, low leaf matter, high lignin content, often in a round bale).

To explain further, we need to look at the structure and function of the digestive system in horses. The digestive mass passes through the small intestine at around 30 cms (0.3 metres or about one foot in length) per minute in a hard feed based ration. However, hay fibre is not digested in the small intestine and is dumped into the large intestine, passing through the small intestine at 45 cm per minute. It is the small intestine where starches, water soluble sugars, protein and fats and many other important energy and body building nutrients are digested by specific enzymes and absorbed into the bloodstream. So when bulky, poor quality fibre from cereal hay or even large volumes finely cut chaff carries any hard feed more quickly through the small bowel, there is less efficient digestion and absorption opportunity for weight gain nutrients. The horses are often termed ‘hay burners’ as although they supplement their energy needs by fermenting the hay to release volatile fatty acids, the poor quality, high lignin content makes the fermentation less efficient.

Optimum weight gain is achieved by three main factors, sound teeth, a low worm burden and a good quality hard feed at least 0.5 kg/100 kg body weight daily to provide the goodness for weight gain, fed as a single meal to move through the small bowel – not too much chaff as this can increase the speed of passage. For hay, meter out 0.75 kg/100 kg bwt portions twice daily from the round bale to avoid GI overload.

A loss of condition of pasture grazing horses can also happen in late summer when the hot, dry climate causes the grass to become more lignified, dry and stalky, reducing its digestibility and hindering energy and nutrient absorption.
At other times, grazing horses can become fat eating only grass. This occurs in spring and early summer when green grass has a high water soluble carbohydrate (WSC) and non-structural fibre content, so overall it has better quality nutrition. Although it contains 70-80% water, the continuous grazing habit of horses out 24/7 allows slower movement speeds compared with dry hay. But of course, in early spring with cold nights, the accumulation of plant sugars can risk overload of these sugars into the hindgut causing D-lactic acid production that triggers laminitis. When grass is burnt off by frost or stressed by hot summer conditions, it moves the sugars used for its growth into its base and roots in order to store energy for re-shooting once conditions improve. During those times, overweight horses bordering on insulin resistance are then prone to laminitis too.

This will be the subject of next weeks’ blog.
 Topic: Float hire
Float hire [message #3300713] Fri, 18 March 2016 12:36
  Jazmeaner  is currently offline Jazmeaner  
Level 3
I'm looking for someone that would be very generous to lend out there float when there not using it for my family and I to use each month for pony club and competeing. My mum is a very responsible float driver , drives carefully and I assure you your float with have the best care. My horse is a 16.2hh TB , and you would be given a fee for every use of float . My family and I are just coming to the state where I can't go to pony club and competitions anymore as we can't afford float hire . Thankyou very much and please pm me Smile

[Updated on: Fri, 18 March 2016 12:36]

Topic: Arena/Round Yard surfaces
Arena/Round Yard surfaces [message #3300697] Fri, 18 March 2016 10:25
  Last half  is currently offline Last half  
Troppo. Loco. Round the twist.
Hi all putting in a round yard and after opinions as to the best surface to use. I know in Vic there are plenty of quarries with "arena blends" but don't know if there are any in WA, though native west Aussies feel free to chime in, and the existing sandy surface here is way too dusty. So any suggestions on the actual composition of suitable arena blends rather then a Vic based supplier would be appreciated. It's an interesting experience, have already discovered that in WA "river sand" can be a horrible dusty red stuff that looks like iron ore dust!
 Topic: Reasonably priced horse agistment Beaconsfield Upper?
Reasonably priced horse agistment Beaconsfield Upper? [message #3300508] Tue, 15 March 2016 12:19
projectponies  is currently offline projectponies  
Level 5
No Message Body
 Topic: COPD/Heaves
COPD/Heaves [message #3300225] Wed, 09 March 2016 10:16
  Mustin  is currently offline Mustin  
Level 1
Hi all

Just looking for some recommendations on vets regarding this condition, I have had horse looked at but have some concerns about the treatment prescribed. Would also love to hear about your experiences. I am in SE suburbs but if I have to will travel

Thanks
 Topic: Johnsons 5 Star Super Chop - Who uses it?
Johnsons 5 Star Super Chop - Who uses it? [message #3299194] Tue, 23 February 2016 14:30
  FreezetheMoment  
Level 3
Does anyone use the 5 Star Super Chop by Johnsons/Natural Formula?

How does it compare with chaff etc?
 Topic: Arena sprinkler systems
Arena sprinkler systems [message #3298896] Fri, 19 February 2016 10:52
  rascal  is currently offline rascal  
Stark, Raving Bonkers
Does anyone on here have experience with pumps and arena sprinkler systems?
I have just put in a bore and want to install an arena sprinkler system but none of the irrigation/pump people I have contacted so far have experience in setting up such a system. I thought it might be helpful if I could tell them how much water a 60x20m sand arena requires to be soaked? I had one estimate of 18L/minute with 12 sprinklers with a 12-13m arc so nearly 200L/Minute in total.

If I can get an idea of what volume of water will be required then they can sort out what size pump/pipes etc I need. I don't want to buy a giant pump unnecessarily, but also don't want dry patches on my arena or it to take 2 hours to be wet through

Topic: Anyone have a dual cab bt50 or ranger 3" gooseneck hitch fitted
Anyone have a dual cab bt50 or ranger 3" gooseneck hitch fitted [message #3298437] Sat, 13 February 2016 16:47
  chucky  
Level 1 - Advanced
I had mine fitted the other day and wanted to compare to other cars
 Topic: RACV now covers small trucks :)
RACV now covers small trucks :) [message #3297897] Sat, 06 February 2016 08:42
  storm horse  is currently offline storm horse  
Completely Insane
If you have a horse truck under 8t and less than 9mt you can now get roadside assistance thru the RACV.

http://www.racv.com.au/wps/wcm/connect/royalauto/home/my-mem bership/member-offers/light-commercial-vehicle-roadside-assi stance

Also, if your truck has a living area with permanent kitchen, you may be able to register it as a campervan, which may be cheaper for insurance purposes as well.
 Topic: Discounted place: Ballarat Hickstead and training weekend
Discounted place: Ballarat Hickstead and training weekend [message #3297743] Wed, 03 February 2016 18:26
  charoo  is currently offline charoo  
Troppo. Loco. Round the twist.
Owing to injury I cannot attend the Ballarat training clinic and hickstead on 13-14 Feb and am looking for a rider to fill my spot in the Test and Talk on the Sat and Hickstead (80cm) on the Sun. Price is negotiable so you can get top quality instruction without paying top dollar. This is a brilliant event and I'm so upset to have to miss it. You won't be disappointed

index.php?t=getfile&id=311363&private=0

Topic: 1st lesson back for 2016
1st lesson back for 2016 [message #3297737] Wed, 03 February 2016 17:33
  chopin  is currently offline chopin  
Its my party and I'll hoo haa if I want to
and it was fantastic, very, very happy with my pony.
Had 2 new horses to contend with, fallen in love with one (another gelding)
the other was all rugged, hooded up, the look he gave as if to say what have you got on?

Then halfway through my lesson, a few sheep come trotting down the neighbour's driveway.

He just wanted to stop, cos he will find any excuse to stop Laughing

But he was super responsive, and really got a nice swing going, felt awesome.

Topic: Horse Dentist Recommendation - West Side
Horse Dentist Recommendation - West Side [message #3297730] Wed, 03 February 2016 14:52
  horselandtash  is currently offline horselandtash  
Level 1
I need my two boys done and they are agisted in the Melton area. Any suggestions and indication of price would be great Smile
 Topic: Buying a dressage horse
Buying a dressage horse [message #3297129] Sun, 24 January 2016 10:43
  pgemma  is currently offline pgemma  
Level 1 - Advanced
In about 3 months I will be purchasing a dressage horse. Previously I've had a PC allrounder who I bought off my instructor and agisted at a friend's private property, which unfortunately is no longer available.

So I was wondering about...

1. Agistment in the Kangaroo Ground /Hurstbridge /Yarrambat/ Eltham /Diamond Creek/St Andrews areas - prefer part-full care (once a day feed, rugging as required), an arena (20X60 preferred), and private or small shared paddocks (2-4 horses) and around $200-$250 per month, but am open-minded to other options and prices. Am also happy for boutique agistments/private properties where rugging and feeding is shared among agistors/owner.

2. Insurance. I want to insure for death/illness and loss of use. I haven't previously had insurance and don't have any friends that insure so don't know where to start looking!

3. Travel companies. There's a possibility my horse will come from interstate, so I'd like some feedback on transport companies - primarily service reviews but pricing also.

4. Any other advice for things I might not have thought of.

Thankyou!
 Topic: Got to love this time of the year NOT
Got to love this time of the year NOT [message #3296657] Fri, 15 January 2016 21:56
  CapSilver  is currently offline CapSilver  
Unstoppable, ungaggable, unzippable
So it is that time, time for injections and yearly boosters... got to LOVE it! Gah, smart arse pony worked out what was going on and almost dragged me across the paddock! Can't blame him poor boy is a retired show pony and has a needle phobia thanks to being injected with steroids in his arse for years!

Also tried a different wormer and all my easy to worm horses became fire breathing dragons, stuff stinks like no tomorrow and they could smell it coming... not going that brand again! Used a different brand on three horses easy as pie, however this other stuff not only FLURO orange but smell and all the ponies that got it did gaging and coughing after I gave it to them. Going to go back to the wormer I normally use!

Also little Shetland worked out how to pop the needle out his neck, not impressed! LOL

So glad this time of the year only comes around once! Worming I don't mind doing on a more regular base but the stabbing nah you can have that!
 Topic: Agistment-Northern Suburbs
Agistment-Northern Suburbs [message #3296552] Thu, 14 January 2016 14:25
  inverleighsasquatch  is currently offline inverleighsasquatch  
Level 1
I am looking for agistment in the northern suburbs (Whittlesea, Doreen etc.)
Nothing too fancy, just need an arena and a private paddock.

If anyone knows of anything or has some suggestions please let me know!

Thanks,

Maddy

index.php?t=getfile&id=299886&private=0
 Topic: .
. [message #3296092] Sat, 09 January 2016 11:20
  dreamgirl  
Step away from the computer,

[Updated on: Tue, 12 January 2016 22:01]

Topic: back in action
back in action [message #3295003] Sun, 27 December 2015 17:58
  chopin  is currently offline chopin  
Its my party and I'll hoo haa if I want to
very happy with my man today, he's sporting his new blingy browband my niece had made for him

due to flat out berry packing, a bit foot sore after his trim, the hot weather and just life in general, he's had a few weeks off, no worries

yesterday in the paddock he was leaping and bucking about, same this morning, but good as gold once saddled up.

Just got on, 2 huge gun shots (think mr moo steer may have been shot for the freezer, not ours) next door, no worries, son took a few pics for me

index.php?t=getfile&id=619202&private=0
index.php?t=getfile&id=619203&private=0
index.php?t=getfile&id=619204&private=0

and he likes to push the gate open himself so he's only allowed when I say PUSH

• Attachment: IMG_8411.JPG
    (Size: 46.23KB, Downloaded 377 time(s))

• Attachment: IMG_8465.JPG
    (Size: 54.45KB, Downloaded 365 time(s))

• Attachment: IMG_8478.JPG
    (Size: 66.17KB, Downloaded 369 time(s))

[Updated on: Sun, 27 December 2015 17:59]

Topic: Can you help?
Can you help? [message #3294847] Wed, 23 December 2015 18:07
  Kassie79  
Unstoppable, ungaggable, unzippable
Hi All,
Very dear friends of mine have recently lost all bar one of their horses in the Scotsburn fires.

I am not usually a fan of asking for donations however Golden Plains Equine are working on their one horse that has survived and I am desperate to help in any way I can. It's been an incredibly difficult last few days and particularly sad for their children who lost their ponies.

Clancy is still fighting and his kidneys have not been damaged which is a good sign. If you can help in any way you can donate too;

www.gofundme.com/hnfpjgrg

Any help would be most appreciated by this very humble family.
RIP Brownie Sad
index.php?t=getfile&id=619158&private=0

• Attachment: 112.jpg
    (Size: 61.78KB, Downloaded 546 time(s))

Topic: Agistment Werribee area
Agistment Werribee area [message #3294366] Thu, 17 December 2015 18:12
Xxisabellaxx  is currently offline Xxisabellaxx  
Level 5

[Updated on: Fri, 18 December 2015 13:27]

Topic: Roster swap needed for TTT Showing
Roster swap needed for TTT Showing [message #3293894] Thu, 10 December 2015 13:34
  Millwood  
Stark, Raving Bonkers
Hi, our team are rostered on to help on Sunday morning stewarding until 11am, however we will all, bar one rider, be home by then. Please, if you can help and swap with us for a Friday or Saturday time, get in touch via PM asap. Freaking out a bit here...

It's easier to get forgiveness than permission
 Topic: SEC Poles (or similar)
SEC Poles (or similar) [message #3293811] Wed, 09 December 2015 12:35
  caseypuppy  is currently offline caseypuppy  
Level 3
A long shot, but would anyone happen to know who was advertising SEC poles in Kinglake a while back?
It may not have been on here of course, it may have been on Face Slap - but if anyone knows can you please help? Very Happy

Or if anyone IS selling SEC poles, or sleepers etc please let me know also.

Many thanks!
 Topic: For those that don't normally look at Off-Topic...
For those that don't normally look at Off-Topic... [message #3293551] Sun, 06 December 2015 11:14
  pjayok  is currently offline pjayok  
Level 1 - Advanced
....you might like to take a look at the 2015 thread and join in if you feel like it.

Surprised)
 Topic: foster mares and orphan foal program URGENT inquiry
icon4.gif  foster mares and orphan foal program URGENT inquiry [message #3293400] Thu, 03 December 2015 11:58
  Kara123  is currently offline Kara123  
Level 2
hey guys,

sadly both our mares lost their foals last night and was just wondering if anyone knows a place in the Nagambie area where they breed foals so they can give the mares to racing studs, leaving orphan foals ready to be purchased?

We purchased one of these foals about 4 years ago but can't remember what it was called.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Also, if anyone needs a foster mare, we have 2 available if we cannot find this place.

Located in Narre Warren North

Thanks,
Kara
Pages (1033): [1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15    »]

Current Time: Sat May 28 04:09:41 EST 2016

Total time taken to generate the page: 9.96995 seconds
.:: Home ::.